2017-2018 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

No essays for this school. Rumors from previous threads states if you get a secondary, you get an interview for this school. However, they DO screen your primary app before sending the secondary.

Good luck everyone, applying this year after a gap year. Hopefully I will see some of y'all next year as classmates.

Reactions: 1 user
No essays for this school. Rumors from previous threads states if you get a secondary, you get an interview for this school. However, they DO screen your primary app before sending the secondary.

Good luck everyone, applying this year after a gap year. Hopefully I will see some of y'all next year as classmates.

I wish more schools did the application process like UTHSC... Selective secondaries + no secondary fee is really awesome. Best of luck to you too.

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't heard of someone who got a secondary who did not receive an interview. Just my 2 cents.

UTHSC is my 1st choice school. Application turned in June 9 should be verified in next few weeks. TN state school undergrad, okay ECs, clinical & volunteer hours, great references, tons shadowing, 4 semesters research, 3.88 gpa, 3.85 sgpa. Taking July MCAT, will get score August 22. Is this too late?! Anyone know if UTHSC sends out secondaries without MCAT score?

UTHSC is my 1st choice school. Application turned in June 9 should be verified in next few weeks. TN state school undergrad, okay ECs, clinical & volunteer hours, great references, tons shadowing, 4 semesters research, 3.88 gpa, 3.85 sgpa. Taking July MCAT, will get score August 22. Is this too late?! Anyone know if UTHSC sends out secondaries without MCAT score?

Just a fellow applicant but I'm pretty certain they don't start interviewing until September, so I feel like you'd be fine. You could always check with admissions though.

I think you should be fine. Best of luck!

3rd year student here. I sometimes check these boards to help out fellow peeps. We send interview invites like 2 weeks prior to our start date which is in early October. We usually give a 2 week heads up prior to interview, so don't be discouraged if it's early december as you can still be accepted before Christmas. Monthly meetings for admissions, but the admissions committee will talk to you about it when you visit. Secondary is like 99% chance you will get an II. Goood luck, any questions I'm down to take.

Reactions: 2 users
3rd year student here. I sometimes check these boards to help out fellow peeps. We send interview invites like 2 weeks prior to our start date which is in early October. We usually give a 2 week heads up prior to interview, so don't be discouraged if it's early december as you can still be accepted before Christmas. Monthly meetings for admissions, but the admissions committee will talk to you about it when you visit. Secondary is like 99% chance you will get an II. Goood luck, any questions I'm down to take.

I wanted your input on reaching out to the school and requesting a secondary. I am OOS (and not in a neighboring state) but previously worked at a UT health system hospital and my husband is a UTHSC alumnus. My primary was verified 6/12 and committee letter has been in since 7/13.

Here we go, third time's the charm right???

Got onto middle of waitlist last year.

I wanted your input on reaching out to the school and requesting a secondary. I am OOS (and not in a neighboring state) but previously worked at a UT health system hospital and my husband is a UTHSC alumnus. My primary was verified 6/12 and committee letter has been in since 7/13.

I know I was not the one who you request for this but thought I'd fill ya in :)
The University of Tennessee doesn't do secondaries like most schools do. It's not an essay, just paperwork to fill out. They do not even look at applications until after their incoming class has a white coat ceremony. They begin reviewing applications in mid-August. So do not fret over no secondary yet!

Reactions: 1 users
I know I was not the one who you request for this but thought I'd fill ya in :)
The University of Tennessee doesn't do secondaries like most schools do. It's not an essay, just paperwork to fill out. They do not even look at applications until after their incoming class has a white coat ceremony. They begin reviewing applications in mid-August. So do not fret over no secondary yet!

Beautiful, thank you for the input! My husband did a late application his cycle and was 8 years ago so it is all a blur for him.

worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research. OOS from NC. Does anyone know if there's a website or something simialr to MSAR that would show OOS applicant average MCAT/gpa for state schools (not just utenn but maybe all state schools)?

Members don't see this ad :)
worth applying here with 3.44/3.19 gpa/sgpa 519 MCAT and extensive research. OOS from NC. Does anyone know if there's a website or something simialr to MSAR that would show OOS applicant average MCAT/gpa for state schools (not just utenn but maybe all state schools)?
They do take applicants from NC and your MCAT is high for here so I'd think you at least have some chance. Do you have any ties to TN or the Memphis area?

They do take applicants from NC and your MCAT is high for here so I'd think you at least have some chance. Do you have any ties to TN or the Memphis area?
no unfortunately

Has anyone gotten a secondary from UTHSC yet? I heard they send them out later to this invited, and was wondering if anyone got invited for a secondary yet?
Thanks goodluck everyone!

On UTHSC website it says they won't be sending anything until after August 15th. It also says they don't start interviewing until October.

Has anyone gotten a secondary from UTHSC yet? I heard they send them out later to this invited, and was wondering if anyone got invited for a secondary yet?
Thanks goodluck everyone!

We just had our White Coat Ceremony last night. Dean Strother mentioned he would begin looking at applications for this cycle on Monday. You should hear something soonish!

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know how to make my headshot wallet size. Would it be bad to just attach the normal photo?

@pmlmu13 I live on the KY-TN border (KY side) and have spent lots of time in the Nashville area. Is that considered close enough ties to apply?

@pmlmu13 I live on the KY-TN border (KY side) and have spent lots of time in the Nashville area. Is that considered close enough ties to apply?
Applications are accepted from residents of bordering states. Given this and your ties to TN you should have a chance. And as @Untitled09_05-16-93 said, it is a free secondary and they do an in depth pre-screen, so the only real cost is the AMCAS fee.

Got my secondary invite! Yay!

Have not received a secondary yet.. do you think it would be frowned upon to send them an email about my new jobs since I started after submitting my AMCAS?

Have not received a secondary yet.. do you think it would be frowned upon to send them an email about my new jobs since I started after submitting my AMCAS?

I sent them an email when I started volunteering at a place that was not in my AMCAS application.

Does anyone know if they send emails to say that you are not invited to complete their secondary? Or is it just that if you don't hear from them you assume you aren't invited?

Does anyone know if they send emails to say that you are not invited to complete their secondary? Or is it just that if you don't hear from them you assume you aren't invited?

I'm not sure the answer but they only started looking over them this week. So they probably have only gone through a handful of applications. (Which has been pointed out in other threads are not looked over as they received them some get bumped to the top due to legacy, statistics, instate status, veteran status etc) They don't even start interviewing until October. Almost all secondaries received get an interview here.

However, looking at this:
Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker

Most were either received in September or January. So do not fret yet.

Has anyone that submitted a secondary received a complete email yet?

Has anyone that submitted a secondary received a complete email yet?
I received an email saying that my secondary information form was complete and that they had received the mail in form if that helps...

Just got a secondary OOS. Is the formatting on the first page of anyone else's secondary form really weird? Maybe not a big deal but the text boxes are below the line they're supposed to be on, and I can't fix it.

I sent in my secondary forms over three weeks ago but haven't gotten a complete email... I called and left messages and nothing... sorta freaking out here...

I sent in my secondary forms over three weeks ago but haven't gotten a complete email... I called and left messages and nothing... sorta freaking out here...
Something similar happened to me! It was because I had opened and edited the secondary on a mac computer. It must be a PC or it cannot be processed correctly. I resent it in and within 3 days, I got a complete email!

Something similar happened to me! It was because I had opened and edited the secondary on a mac computer. It must be a PC or it cannot be processed correctly. I resent it in and within 3 days, I got a complete email!
Just to alleviate concerns for other Mac users I'm going to chime in and mention that I used a mac to do my secondary and everything went fine, they were in receipt of all my materials like a couple days later. Not really sure what is causing the hang-up for you fluffispearlo.

Just to alleviate concerns for other Mac users I'm going to chime in and mention that I used a mac to do my secondary and everything went fine, they were in receipt of all my materials like a couple days later. Not really sure what is causing the hang-up for you fluffispearlo.

I took you guys' advice and called and emailed. I did fill it out on a mac. I might have accidentally saved it as a pages file. I don't have Word. Also when it opens with pages, the signature page becauses two pages when it should be one. Resent it today and will mail in another signature page tomorrow. Hope it doesn't negatively affect my application. I was supposed to be complete in early August

I took you guys' advice and called and emailed. I did fill it out on a mac. I might have accidentally saved it as a pages file. I don't have Word. Also when it opens with pages, the signature page becauses two pages when it should be one. Resent it today and will mail in another signature page tomorrow. Hope it doesn't negatively affect my application. I was supposed to be complete in early August
Now that actually may have done it. I have Microsoft word for mac.

Any IIs yet? My understanding is interviews start in October, so I was hoping to hear back soon...

Any IIs yet? My understanding is interviews start in October, so I was hoping to hear back soon...
They usually send invites out about a week and a half before the interview date so it may still be just a bit early.

Submitted Secondary this week.. got secondary late last week. my mcat came in couple of weeks ago. so i was complete only a few weeks ago.

I also heard from Dean Strother that no interviews have happened yet and that they start in October. He was at my school this past Thursday, 9/14.

I'm an IS applicant with familial ties to UTHSC (not sure if that helps). Received my secondary 9/15 and submitted it 9/18. Stats are 3.72 cGPA 3.55sGPA 509 MCAT with strong upward trend at Vandy. Well balanced ECs with two semesters of research experience and over 500 shadowing/clinical volunteer hours. I know I'm a decent applicant, but I'm not sure what my timeline will look like. Any ideas?

Interviews start in October. We have to see who they invite first.. is it based on complete date or merit. Because I completed mine 9/10 ish