2017-2018 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any II's yet? Should be soon
A week from today is the first interview according to their website, so I hope they start letting students know soon! I'm out of state for undergrad and worried about a last minute flight :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

M2 just checking in. We just got an email about interviews and the first day will be 10/09. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Woooo!!! Received an II this morning!! Submitted on 8/29

Reactions: 3 users
II this evening! Complete 8/23, LizzyM ~77. So excited to interview here!

Reactions: 4 users
II last night! LM-76. IS.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know what to expect in a regional interview? Is it just the 30 min - 1 hour session?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone on the interviews! Does anyone know if this school takes updates? I've added a significant amount of clinical experience this summer, which I was able to talk about in all my other secondaries except this school. I would like to let UT know!

Congrats everyone on the interviews! Does anyone know if this school takes updates? I've added a significant amount of clinical experience this summer, which I was able to talk about in all my other secondaries except this school. I would like to let UT know!

They do. Just include the update in the body of an email and they will add it to your file

Reactions: 1 user
any OOS hear anything yet? I'm a GA resident but since they let students from the contiguous states apply I figured it was worth a shot!

I am OOS and have not received a secondary application. Is it safe to assume I am not getting one this cycle?

I was complete on 10/3 and wondering how long it usually takes for them to offer you an interview after submitting your secondary? (Assuming they choose to interview you)

I was complete on 10/3 and wondering how long it usually takes for them to offer you an interview after submitting your secondary? (Assuming they choose to interview you)
I believe the interviews are based on merit and not complete date. So it depends on your stats, your ECs and personal statement. So they could still offer u an interview next month if you are a highly competitive applicant.

I was complete 9/11 and got the II 10/2, but n=1. Per the M3s at my interview day they interview higher stats/desirable candidates and re-applicants(?) earlier, but if any current UTHSC could confirm/deny this?

Also, unrelated, but if anyone has an upcoming interview and would like me to answer any questions about my interview day experience I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted my primary around 3 weeks ago, and I still haven't received a confirmation about them receiving it or a response. Should I try emailing/calling them, or keep waiting? I know that I submitted my primary late, so I was just wondering if that was affecting how long it was taking them to get back to me.

Anyone know of a good place to stay for the interview? Looks like there's a Quality Inn within walking distance--is it an unsafe area in the immediate vicinity of the med school? Just curious, because UTHSC's list of recommended hotels are all downtown.

Anyone know of a good place to stay for the interview? Looks like there's a Quality Inn within walking distance--is it an unsafe area in the immediate vicinity of the med school? Just curious, because UTHSC's list of recommended hotels are all downtown.

As a Memphis resident, I wouldn't recommend staying super near the school if possible...its not in the best part of Memphis in terms of crime. Maybe try to find somewhere in midtown or on mud island (though you'd have drive 15-20 mins to the school in the morning).

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete 9/11 and got the II 10/2, but n=1. Per the M3s at my interview day they interview higher stats/desirable candidates and re-applicants(?) earlier, but if any current UTHSC could confirm/deny this?

Also, unrelated, but if anyone has an upcoming interview and would like me to answer any questions about my interview day experience I'd be more than happy to answer them.

My interview is this coming Tuesday!
In general how did your day go?

My interview is this coming Tuesday!
In general how did your day go?

Overall the day was pretty enjoyable and laid back. We had the introductory session, then the interview if you had morning interviews, or sitting in on first year classes if you had afternoon interviews. We got a tour of the basic science buildings and of two of the clinical sites (the med and LeBonheur), which I found enjoyable. Most all the students we met throughout the day were friendly and happy to answer questions.
The interviews themselves were not super stressful. For the most part it seemed as though they were just trying to get to know more about you. There were a few difficult questions, but it certainly did not feel as though they were trying to 'grill me' or anything of the sort.

I would say the hotels near the med school are fine as long as you don't go walk around by yourself at night, just take an uber to the interview in the morning. you don't want to stay on mud island or midtown there aren't many hotel options, its further away, and they are gonna be more expensive. Downtown is really close by though, 5 min uber ride, with way more hotel options

I would say the hotels near the med school are fine as long as you don't go walk around by yourself at night, just take an uber to the interview in the morning. you don't want to stay on mud island or midtown there aren't many hotel options, its further away, and they are gonna be more expensive. Downtown is really close by though, 5 min uber ride, with way more hotel options
Thank you for the info! I'm guessing there won't be any problem getting Ubers in the morning right (say, 7:30ish)?

Most likely not, although I can't say I've personally gotten too many ubers that early. A lot of the hotels downtown will either have a shuttle service or can call you a taxi too

My secondary information was received by UTHSC on September 6th and still no word about an interview date... Is a month and a half a weird wait period between secondary receipt and II? Growing weary of having an empty inbox...

My secondary information was received by UTHSC on September 6th and still no word about an interview date... Is a month and a half a weird wait period between secondary receipt and II? Growing weary of having an empty inbox...

I was complete on 8/21 and haven't heard anything either, but they just started interviewing on October 9th. I have heard last year and in the past that they only schedule up to about two weeks in advance for interviews, so I wouldn't worry to much about not hearing anything right now. The first batch of IIs didn't go until 10/4.

Anyone know if they do silent rejections? I was complete on 9/12 after my MCAT score was added to my application and I haven’t heard anything at all. UT is one of my top choices so I’m starting to get nervous..

Anyone have any insight on the difference between the personal and academic interview? I have already had my academic one, so I'm mainly looking for what the personal interview was like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Anyone have any insight on the difference between the personal and academic interview? I have already had my academic one, so I'm mainly looking for what the personal interview was like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

Personal they don't have your MCAT and GPA whereas academic they do.

Anyone know if they do silent rejections? I was complete on 9/12 after my MCAT score was added to my application and I haven’t heard anything at all. UT is one of my top choices so I’m starting to get nervous..
+1

When u say complete..Does this mean u got your secondary complete notification at 9/12? Because if that is the case it’s just a waiting game. most likely will interview but interviews are based on merit and so highly competitive applicants are interviewed first.

When u say complete..Does this mean u got your secondary complete notification at 9/12? Because if that is the case it’s just a waiting game. most likely will interview but interviews are based on merit and so highly competitive applicants are interviewed first.
No, I just meant my primary app was complete since my new MCAT scores were added then. I was really complete with them on July 20th, but I retook the MCAT so they would not start reviewing my application until the new scores were posted (on 9/12). I have not received a secondary yet. Hopefully soon though!

I got the email confirming that my secondary was received 3 Oct. I was under the impression that they screen pretty heavily before sending secondary invites. About how long is the period between secondary submission and II?

I got the email confirming that my secondary was received 3 Oct. I was under the impression that they screen pretty heavily before sending secondary invites. About how long is the period between secondary submission and II?
I've been waiting since August 15 so no telling

Just got II for next week! Complete 9/10. If anyone has any more insight into the interview it would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on how competitive the pool is..

Thought I swing back by again to answer any questions about living/clinical stuff/school life. 3rd year student here.

Thought I swing back by again to answer any questions about living/clinical stuff/school life. 3rd year student here.

Sorry in advance for all the questions.

1. What do you think of the graded, rather than pass/fail first two years? Do you feel that it is extra stress on yourself or is not nearly as big of deal as us pre-meds perceive it as? Also, at my interview it seemed like the students were still very collaborative, but I'd be curious to hear your opinion on this?

2. What part of Memphis do most of the students live in? Mud Island, Midtown, near the school?

3. Has anyone you used the affiliation with St. Jude to do research with one of the St. Jude PIs? There is some research going on at St. Jude that I would be very interested in participating in if I end up a UT (plz accept me UT) and was wondering how feasible this would be?

Thanks!

Sorry in advance for all the questions.

1. What do you think of the graded, rather than pass/fail first two years? Do you feel that it is extra stress on yourself or is not nearly as big of deal as us pre-meds perceive it as? Also, at my interview it seemed like the students were still very collaborative, but I'd be curious to hear your opinion on this?

2. What part of Memphis do most of the students live in? Mud Island, Midtown, near the school?

3. Has anyone you used the affiliation with St. Jude to do research with one of the St. Jude PIs? There is some research going on at St. Jude that I would be very interested in participating in if I end up a UT (plz accept me UT) and was wondering how feasible this would be?

Thanks!
1. Well I would say that it does give a slight pressure to get an A, but in the end, pre-clinical grades don't matter as much according to PD surveys. Google NRMP Program director survey 2016 (I tried to link it but have a post restriction I guess) . One of the few minor flaws at UT, to be honest. Collaborative as in creating interest groups? or Having a strong camaraderie aspect? Because I would say that the volunteer groups are very active here and also diverse. I get too many emails a day on things to help with or sign up for haha. Everyone is a teamplayer here and its one of the things that we look for.

2. Lots of 1st years will stay on mud island to adjust to the areas of Memphis. After you realize that the city is rather safe after all, most people move to mid town/germantown/ downtown/ collierville(far drive though)

3. Oh yeah, St. Jude is awesome and we are considered the home school so we get first dibs on research spots. During 3rd yr peds rotation, you get a week at St. Jude and you are provided with tons of research contacts throughout the week. Even before that you can also get some contacts rather easily if you have a interest in a field.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
1. Well I would say that it does give a slight pressure to get an A, but in the end, pre-clinical grades don't matter as much according to PD surveys. Google NRMP Program director survey 2016 (I tried to link it but have a post restriction I guess) . One of the few minor flaws at UT, to be honest. Collaborative as in creating interest groups? or Having a strong camaraderie aspect? Because I would say that the volunteer groups are very active here and also diverse. I get too many emails a day on things to help with or sign up for haha. Everyone is a teamplayer here and its one of the things that we look for.

2. Lots of 1st years will stay on mud island to adjust to the areas of Memphis. After you realize that the city is rather safe after all, most people move to mid town/germantown/ downtown/ collierville(far drive though)

3. Oh yeah, St. Jude is awesome and we are considered the home school so we get first dibs on research spots. During 3rd yr peds rotation, you get a week at St. Jude and you are provided with tons of research contacts throughout the week. Even before that you can also get some contacts rather easily if you have a interest in a field.

Good luck :)

Very informative! Thank you!