2017-2018 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone actually gotten their final admissions letter this past weekend and got declined? It seems that everyone who got their letters Friday, Saturday and today have been accepted or waitlisted! Just curious/ anxious! (Thanks everyone for posting their experiences here its been really helpful to have people to talk to about this madness!)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got put on the wait list today. Will be inquiring about my position. Such a painful process!

Reactions: 4 users
Wait listed today. I will be withdrawing and heading to Quillen instead. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed today. I will be withdrawing and heading to Quillen instead. Best of luck!

Congrats on Quillen and thanks to you and everyone else sharing info!

I agree, it’s a painful process but we’re not alone!

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted.
Can’t say I’m happy about it.

Placed on the alternate list. I've sent an email to Dr. Strother to try to find out my position.
I was also waitlisted and sent an email asking my position to him this morning and still haven't heard. If anyone hears from him regarding their position can you write in this chat so we know if they are giving out this info or not?

Just got the letter today, waitlisted. Not surprised considering im OOS. Lol why are MD schools showing no love to me? I was finished with my applications by late July, and didn't get any interview invites until like December. Oh well

Reactions: 1 users
on my waitlist paper, it says email all questions regarding the waitlist to Dianne Harris

Received an acceptance packet today. Stats are ~70 LizzyM, IS, ORM, and a decent amount of research/volunteering/clinical work. Interviewed in February, on hold since then. I definitely was expecting the alternate list based on previous threads and being placed on hold. Good luck to everyone still waiting and on the alternate list. Unfortunately, I'm keeping my spot and excited to head to Memphis in August!

Waitlisted, interviewed in early April, was placed on hold after initial review. Just spoke with Nelson about wait-list positions. He said they don't have them finalized yet and should know more by the end of the week. So more waiting!

Waitlisted, interviewed in early April, was placed on hold after initial review. Just spoke with Nelson about wait-list positions. He said they don't have them finalized yet and should know more by the end of the week. So more waiting!
Cool. Mid May sounds like a great time to start thinking about this.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Opened the final decision letter from UTHSC yesterday and I'm very excited to start my next phase of waiting! This time, as an "alternate."

Reactions: 3 users
Mail has already come today - still no letter from UT. I live in Memphis so it seems like quite a long journey for this envelope!

Yours got lost or something my dude. I’d call admissions.

I emailed Diane Harris yesterday to confirm she had my correct address, and haven’t heard back from her yet!

I can’t imagine what else happened - did a giant bird pull it out of my mailbox at some point? Does my postal worker hate me? I don’t know.

Mail has already come today - still no letter from UT. I live in Memphis so it seems like quite a long journey for this envelope!
When they mailed the initial hold letter to me on a Friday I got it on a Saturday because I live so close. With that said, I have not received a final decision letter yet which I think is odd. Although I'm also not in a rush to read that I'm an alternate, especially when they don't even have the order finalized yet. So I'll probably wait till Friday before I contact them about it.

Did you call or email Nelson?

When they mailed the initial hold letter to me on a Friday I got it on a Saturday because I live so close. With that said, I have not received a final decision letter yet which I think is odd. Although I'm also not in a rush to read that I'm an alternate, especially when they don't even have the order finalized yet. So I'll probably wait till Friday before I contact them about it.

That’s exactly what happened to me - interviewed in January, Hold letter was mailed on a Friday, and I received it Saturday. That’s what makes this so unsettling - I know it can’t take this long to get a letter 3 miles up Poplar!

Glad to know at least I’m not the only one without a letter yet, though.

I just received my official alternate letter yesterday. Called and talked to Nelson as well and he said call back later in the week when they finalized the alternate list. Didn't say what day it would be done, only that it should be this week.

I just received my official alternate letter yesterday. Called and talked to Nelson as well and he said call back later in the week when they finalized the alternate list. Didn't say what day it would be done, only that it should be this week.

You know, I felt disorganized because I'm doing everything at the last minute for finals.

Guess I'm not as bad as I thought.

Same thing he said to me. I was thinking of calling again on Friday afternoon to give them some time.

Accepted today!

In State, interviewed in January (had been on Hold since then), LizzyM of 67, non-traditional.

If you're on Hold and haven't received your letter, keep the faith!! And if you're on the Waitlist, have hope too!!

Accepted today!

In State, interviewed in January (had been on Hold since then), LizzyM of 67, non-traditional.

If you're on Hold and haven't received your letter, keep the faith!! And if you're on the Waitlist, have hope too!!
Memphian?

I think I mentioned it before a little earlier in this thread but I'll say it again: I can't imagine waitlist movement will be nearly as extensive as it was in past cycles considering how many people have been getting accepted at final decision, and the fact that there's 50 fewer people on the waitlist this year.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned it before a little earlier in this thread but I'll say it again: I can't imagine waitlist movement will be nearly as extensive as it was in past cycles considering how many people have been getting accepted at final decision, and the fact that there;s 50 fewer people on the waitlist this year.
Maybe, but the top, middle, & bottom thirds are also smaller so for those in the top third the chance of getting an acceptance could be the same. Plus there are people who will get accepted from the alternate list who could decide to defer a year.

Maybe, but the top, middle, & bottom thirds are also smaller so for those in the top third the chance of getting an acceptance could be the same. Plus there are people who will get accepted from the alternate list who could decide to defer a year.
True, top third will go as high as ~70 this year though. Wouldn't surprise me if the alt list only goes around 30 deep this year. I've just never seen this many people get accepted as final decision. Makes me think a lot of these people getting accepted at their final decision would've just been highly ranked alternate list people had they made final decisions in mid-April.

Waitlisted but withdrawing due to other career opportunities. I will still be in the Memphis area and am considering renting out two rooms in my house. PM me if interested.

If it helps alleviate any concern over the smaller alternate list size this year, I dug through the previous years data on the alternate list sizes / # accepted off of the waitlist. (some numbers are estimate)

Year - alternate list size/#accepted off waitlist
2017- 248/68
2016 - 257/75
2015 - 271/50
2014 - 291/40(?)

The alternate list size does seem to be getting smaller over the years, but never did it drop by like ~50 in one year like it did in this year. However, the # accepted off the waitlist does seem to stay somewhat similar on average at around 50-60, and if we compare 2014 and 2017, there is a ~50 drop in the alternate list size, but we go from 40(?) to 68 accepted off of the waitlist. Hopefully they still accept 50-60 off the list despite it being 205 alternates this year.

If it helps alleviate any concern over the smaller alternate list size this year, I dug through the previous years data on the alternate list sizes / # accepted off of the waitlist. (some numbers are estimate)

Year - alternate list size/#accepted off waitlist
2017- 248/68
2016 - 257/75
2015 - 271/50
2014 - 291/40(?)

The alternate list size does seem to be getting smaller over the years, but never did it drop by like ~50 in one year like it did in this year. However, the # accepted off the waitlist does seem to stay somewhat similar on average at around 50-60, and if we compare 2014 and 2017, there is a ~50 drop in the alternate list size, but we go from 40(?) to 68 accepted off of the waitlist. Hopefully they still accept 50-60 off the list despite it being 205 alternates this year.
Yeah this is a good data dig. But honestly I still think it’s just super hard to tell if things are gonna be normal, since the drop in waitlisters is so unprecedented. I think anyone who can get Strother on the phone when they inquire about their waitlist spot should ask about it when they call, and try to get a good idea as to why the waitlist is so much smaller and if they think movement will be affected by it.

Received alternate list letter Monday and was told middle third this morning. Looks like I will be doing this whole process over again next year. Best of luck to those who get in.

Received alternate list letter Monday and was told middle third this morning. Looks like I will be doing this whole process over again next year. Best of luck to those who get in.
Did you call Strother to ask about the alternate list?

Middle third myself so it looks like my rodeo with UT is over and I'll be headed OOS.

Really sad to leave especially when I have the stats to get into UT and more than average EC's. Not to mention I'm going OOS to a school with IS bias and an MCAT/GPA average far above mine, so why no love from UT when an OOS I'm not qualified for on paper will take me? This process seems like a total crap shoot sometimes...

Anyway, no more whining from me, just a little frustrated at the news and wanted to vent.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who’s cycle ended today, do you plan to reapply immediately or take a cycle off? I’m kind of leaning toward taking a cycle off to try to make it so that I only ever have to do this one more time. It just sucks though thinking that I’d have to wait two years to start this chapter of my life though.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who’s cycle ended today, do you plan to reapply immediately or take a cycle off? I’m kind of leaning toward taking a cycle off to try to make it so that I only ever have to do this one more time. It just sucks though thinking that I’d have to wait two years to start this chapter of my life though.
I'll probably roll right into another cycle. I've got things to add and change to my current application but not everything will be brand new. I imagine it wont be as taxing as the first go through.

For those of you that called Mr. Strother to find out your position on the alternate list, did he answer the phone, or did you leave a message and he called you back? I called this morning and left a message, but I'm wondering if I should go ahead and try calling again. Thanks.

Received the waitlist and am top third. Did anyone recieve more detailed ranking than what third?

Received the waitlist and am top third. Did anyone recieve more detailed ranking than what third?
How did you find out top third? I emailed Strother Monday asking and still haven’t hear what part I am on, I am the only one he hasn’t responded to?!

I am curious about this as well. In earlier years, people were told specific numbers like "top 20" or "top 45". So then, does top third mean 1-70 or is it 50-70? Hopefully someone who was told something more specific will comment!

@Futuredoc55 , I haven't heard back either, but I'd imagine he is getting bombarded with emails from the 205 alternates, and might take awhile to respond to everyone :'(

I am curious about this as well. In earlier years, people were told specific numbers like "top 20" or "top 45". So then, does top third mean 1-70 or is it 50-70? Hopefully someone who was told something more specific will comment!

@Futuredoc55 , I haven't heard back either, but I'd imagine he is getting bombarded with emails from the 205 alternates, and might take awhile to respond to everyone :'(

Not to be overly critical, but they wouldn’t be bombarded with these notifications if they included this in the alternate letter or had an online portal to view this.