2017-2018 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I sent an email asking for an update and about 2 hours later got an interview invitation for next Monday. While I am obviously excited about the interview this worries me a little bit. I have not heard from them since August when I submitted the secondary, I finally get impatient enough to email them and then they send me the interview invite after 2 hours? Did they meet today to discuss in the time after I emailed or were they waiting for me to contact them? Does anybody have any idea/similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I sent an email asking for an update and about 2 hours later got an interview invitation for next Monday. While I am obviously excited about the interview this worries me a little bit. I have not heard from them since August when I submitted the secondary, I finally get impatient enough to email them and then they send me the interview invite after 2 hours? Did they meet today to discuss in the time after I emailed or were they waiting for me to contact them? Does anybody have any idea/similar experience?
Im debating calling again lmao. I wish they did that when I called.

Im debating calling again lmao. I wish they did that when I called.
I would, it can't hurt. I tried calling and was sent to voicemail for a week. That's when I decided to email them and then got the invite

Members don't see this ad :)

I have contacted them twice and haven't gotten any such email lol. Once through the phone and the other through email. both times they told me, " we are planning to interview you...." lol isn't there a deadline where all decisions must be made by April 30th or something?

Also, what date were you given? was it after April 11th?

I have contacted them twice and haven't gotten any such email lol. Once through the phone and the other through email. both times they told me, " we are planning to interview you...." lol isn't there a deadline where all decisions must be made by April 30th or something?

Also, what date were you given? was it after April 11th?
I was given an interview on April 16th. Yea I am pretty sure all decisions have to be made by April 30th according to AAMC

They can accept us after April 30, but you can not hold more than one acceptance afterwards

So I just got an interview invite 2 mins ago lol. I guess April 18th is the last day they'll interview people?

I guess the nice thing is we will hear back really quickly.... I think

Who did you happen to email? I've been trying to reach out to several people in the office, so I'm just wondering if I seem to keep missing the wrong person to contact.

Interview invite for April 23rd. MCAT 506, 3.6 GPA, Secondary on 9/8

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear anything yet about a second look day?

So all schools have to give out final decisions (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted) on April 30th right? How will this school do that if its' all by snail mail? should we just expect them to send out decisions on April 30th but expect delays for the mail to get to us if we are not local or will they call / email us decisions instead?

So all schools have to give out final decisions (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted) on April 30th right? How will this school do that if its' all by snail mail? should we just expect them to send out decisions on April 30th but expect delays for the mail to get to us if we are not local or will they call / email us decisions instead?

Applicants have to hold only a single acceptance after April 30th. The schools can continue to offer acceptances all the way up to orientation. And I imagine they will still mail them, but maybe as it gets later they will call idk

Applicants have to hold only a single acceptance after April 30th. The schools can continue to offer acceptances all the way up to orientation. And I imagine they will still mail them, but maybe as it gets later they will call idk

From what I have read in the past, they may have a batch of snail mail acceptances from hold right before the wait list is made. Once the waitlist is made, you will be notified via snail mail that you are waitlisted. Acceptances from the waitlist will be via phonecall (from what I have been able to put together anyways).

Reactions: 1 users
So all schools have to give out final decisions (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted) on April 30th right?

No, this is not correct. Some schools never give final rejections - they are just silent rejections.

AMCAS has very few rules for school regarding applications, other than restricting the first day of acceptances (October 15) and the day where the schools must have issued a minimum number of acceptances equal to their class size (March 15). Oh, and the maximum refundable deposit of $100.

Just got an email saying all final decisions will be mailed out no later than Friday May 4.

Just got an email saying all final decisions will be mailed out no later than Friday May 4.
I believe "final decision" can mean alternate list- so more waiting for those of us moving from hold to alternate.

Also on Hold. Also received that email.

Even though it’s not an Acceptance, I relish every morsel of information they dole out to us! Good luck to my fellow Hold-ers.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe "final decision" can mean alternate list- so more waiting for those of us moving from hold to alternate.
Yeah, I imagine they'll have the ranked waitlist made not long after that though. That will pretty much definitively decide it one way or another for most.

does anyone know how to access to their uthsc email/heard anything about fin aid?

does anyone know how to access to their uthsc email/heard anything about fin aid?
Got an email from Diane last week that we would get the award this week, but I haven't gotten the actual award yet. your UTHSC email you can access after they send you your student ID number and a link to set up your student portal I think

I also have not yet received a financial aid award. It's kind of frustrating because they've been telling us they'll send it for several weeks now. At this point, should we be expecting to only receive loans? Were all the scholarships interviewed for back in February?

I also have not yet received a financial aid award. It's kind of frustrating because they've been telling us they'll send it for several weeks now. At this point, should we be expecting to only receive loans? Were all the scholarships interviewed for back in February?
The scholarships were interviewed for in February, so yeah it will probably just be loans for the rest of us.

How were all the scholarships interviewed for in February when it looks like only a fraction of the class was even accepted before then?

How were all the scholarships interviewed for in February when it looks like only a fraction of the class was even accepted before then?
Because from what I've heard around (but I may be wrong) that usually the top applicants are interviewed earliest in the cycle? Unless you had great stats but applied late, then you'd be interviewed way later. by top i mean stats, ECs, and unique life experiences/trajectories

I didn't hear about a second look date when I applied not sure about this year

Because from what I've heard around (but I may be wrong) that usually the top applicants are interviewed earliest in the cycle? Unless you had great stats but applied late, then you'd be interviewed way later. by top i mean stats, ECs, and unique life experiences/trajectories

Yeah the most competitive applicants get interviewed in Oct and Nov, so all the people that would have been up for the scholarship interviews were likely already accepted by Feb. I know personally two people who ended up receiving scholarships last cycle, and they were both interviewed in Oct.

Any chance the ranked waitlist has been made?

Any chance the ranked waitlist has been made?

It was probably made on Friday, but until you receive correspondence that you are on it I would wait to contact them about it.

yeah they met on Friday but they also were deciding on who gets scholarships so they may not have completed the WL

Which scholarships? Didn't the people from the scholarship interview get the scholarships?

any April date interviewers get any admissions decisions yet?

any April date interviewers get any admissions decisions yet?

I interviewed April 2nd, and received an "on hold" decision. Currently waiting for them to mail the new decisions from the latest adcom meeting from last Friday.

I also interviewed the first week of April. On hold until the decisions get mailed out May 4th. They should probably arrive by the 7th.

I do know people who were rejected post-interview in my interview week. If you're on hold, it's not the worst position.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know how generous they are w/ scholarships (merit/need) and/or grants?

Anyone know how generous they are w/ scholarships (merit/need) and/or grants?
I don't know, but my assumption is that they wouldn't give out scholarships unless there's a chance that you'll go somewhere else. So if you have other waitlists that you would likely go to over UTHSC or other acceptances, they might throw some money your way, but if not, I wouldn't bank on getting a scholarship.

"The UT Health Science Center College of Medicine Admissions Committee made ALL FINAL DECISIONS, at our Friday April 27th meeting"

Quote from email I just received from Diane Harris and it went on to talk about when postage would be marked.

"The UT Health Science Center College of Medicine Admissions Committee made ALL FINAL DECISIONS, at our Friday April 27th meeting"

Quote from email I just received from Diane Harris and it went on to talk about when postage would be marked.
Did she say it would be May 4th or do they expect to mail it out before then?

Is this information any different than the email we all got on April 24th?

I’ve heard several people tell tales of folks getting a spot off the waitlist right up until the day of Orientation, and my question is - how?

In what scenario does an aspiring med student not know where they’re going until Orientation? And if AAMC asks (mandates?) that candidates notify schools by April 30, there shouldn’t be so many cases of Waitlist spots opening up in June and July.

I guess there’s some obvious significant things that could happen, like illness, but in what other scenarios does someone give up a spot in late July?

I’ve heard several people tell tales of folks getting a spot off the waitlist right up until the day of Orientation, and my question is - how?

In what scenario does an aspiring med student not know where they’re going until Orientation? And if AAMC asks (mandates?) that candidates notify schools by April 30, there shouldn’t be so many cases of Waitlist spots opening up in June and July.

I guess there’s some obvious significant things that could happen, like illness, but in what other scenarios does someone give up a spot in late July?

Complete speculation on my part, but as you said if something unforseen happens, the student (with a valid reason) can defer matriculation to the next year. At that point they would not really be giving up their spot, but moving their attendence to the next year and effectively allowing a waitlist student to take their place.

Just got accepted off hold! Interviewed in Jan.