2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Committee letter = priority list? Joke, right? That would throw nontrads under the bus bigtime.
I have an interview without a committee letter. I'm sure others do too. @sachin123 I'm not sure if that is a valid reason.
I also have an interview with no committee letter. This sounds like a random rumor.

They said this on their secondary application so...
"If your school has an established pre-medical committee, your letter must come from them. The Admissions Committee policy is that students who attend schools that have formal pre-med advisors or premed committees must have a letter from that advisor or committee. Failure to provide this letter can be considered grounds for not pursuing the file further or for evaluating the candidate as less competitive than others. The committee believes those students whose undergraduate institution provides such a service is better able to evaluate the candidate in the context of that school’s entire applicant pool. They also believe that students who have not availed themselves of the service may be less well prepared for medical education than those who have participated."

Members don't see this ad.

I got the “interested, expect an interview if there are spots” update yesterday morning. Anyone know if we are for sure getting one/how long it could take?

They said this on their secondary application so...
"If your school has an established pre-medical committee, your letter must come from them. The Admissions Committee policy is that students who attend schools that have formal pre-med advisors or premed committees must have a letter from that advisor or committee. Failure to provide this letter can be considered grounds for not pursuing the file further or for evaluating the candidate as less competitive than others. The committee believes those students whose undergraduate institution provides such a service is better able to evaluate the candidate in the context of that school’s entire applicant pool. They also believe that students who have not availed themselves of the service may be less well prepared for medical education than those who have participated."

Huh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that note is just saying that if your school offers a committee letter but you don't receive one, that's a red flag. I don't read that like you have to have a committee letter to be prioritized.

Reactions: 1 user
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

So has anyone received a confirmation or have it on good ground that the above message stands for rejection then? I received this message since July 12th.

Reactions: 6 users
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

So has anyone received a confirmation or have it on good ground that the above message stands for rejection then? I received this message since July 12th.
It isn't an implied status of rejection; it simply means your file is in line to be subcommittee-reviewed.

There are thousands of applications to be carefully looked at. The number of individuals on the subcommittee is exceptionally small -- like 4 or 5 people -- so it is in no way surprising that the line moves slow. That it moves slow is good evidence that the applications are receiving fair, honest, and thorough assessments.

There are months left in the season still. Trust that the process works, because it does.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

I know we're all neurotic and this process is extremely stress inducing.. but hey. I'm IS, 509 MCAT, ~3.5 GPA. Pretty great ECs, but I believe I'm a barely above average applicant.... maybe :penguin:

I totally thought I was going to receive a rejection, but I went from this message to an II, no warning. Keep your heads up.

Reactions: 5 users
It isn't an implied status of rejection; it simply means your file is in line to be subcommittee-reviewed.

There are thousands of applications to be carefully looked at. The number of individuals on the subcommittee is exceptionally small -- like 4 or 5 people -- so it is in no way surprising that the line moves slow. That it moves slow is good evidence that the applications are receiving fair, honest, and thorough assessments.

There are months left in the season still. Trust that the process works, because it does.

Good luck.

On average how many applications do you think the 4 or 5 people can thoroughly review in a day? ~50?

On average how many applications do you think the 4 or 5 people can thoroughly review in a day? ~50?
I've had roughly 2000 apps roll through my hands this season at all stages of the process. Some take close to an hour, some only a minute or so. It fluctuates wildly depending upon stage and individual-specific parameters; however, I do many things other than apps and some days don't do any. So, I couldn't say how many I could do in a day because I've never done it. Others that look at apps are similarly constrained by many things that have nothing to do with applications. That is the reality.

Reactions: 3 users
I got the “interested, expect an interview if there are spots” update yesterday morning. Anyone know if we are for sure getting one/how long it could take?

When did you submit your secondary?

I've had roughly 2000 apps roll through my hands this season at all stages of the process. Some take close to an hour, some only a minute or so. It fluctuates wildly depending upon stage and individual-specific parameters; however, I do many things other than apps and some days don't do any. So, I couldn't say how many I could do in a day because I've never done it. Others that look at apps are similarly constrained by many things that have nothing to do with applications. That is the reality.

Thanks for the response!

Hello Dean Mission,
So currently the sub-committee is reviewing applications complete within the first week of August right now? Is this right?

Hello Dean Mission,
So currently the sub-committee is reviewing applications complete within the first week of August right now? Is this right?
I'm honestly not certain how the algorithm orders the subcommittee files, but based on the dates I see it's not ordered in that way.

To be fair though, there are a multitude of dates that are associated with every app and dates posted on my screen are likely quite different than the ones you are talking about.

I'll dig around in the system and see what I can find. If I can figure it out I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I know we're all neurotic and this process is extremely stress inducing.. but hey. I'm IS, 509 MCAT, ~3.5 GPA. Pretty great ECs, but I believe I'm a barely above average applicant.... maybe :penguin:

I totally thought I was going to receive a rejection, but I went from this message to an II, no warning. Keep your heads up.

Thanks for that! I'm normally able to keep my neuroticism under wraps but when I was reading on here and seeing that they are starting to run low on interview spots I got a little worried. I have similar stats to you, but I'm ORM and OOS, with good ECs as well. I just submitted and was completely early-mid July so I was just wondering where my app was since there doesn't seem to be a consensus if VCU goes through app chronologically or not.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the reply and I truly appreciate it. I was just confused since other posters made it out to seem like interview spots were already running low and that the app review is done chronologically. But seeing as it is not chronologically, my worries are appeased. I truly appreciate that the time in reviewing applications. Have a great rest of the cycle and looking over apps.

What month did you schedule your interview for? Maybe I'll see you there :)

What month did you schedule your interview for? Maybe I'll see you there :)

I had mine during the last week in August actually! They called me on Thursday evening and offered me an interview that Saturday/Tuesday/Wednesday. It was very hectic... but it worked out. Good luck in your interview :)

I had mine during the last week in August actually! They called me on Thursday evening and offered me an interview that Saturday/Tuesday/Wednesday. It was very hectic... but it worked out. Good luck in your interview :)
Oh yeah sorry! I think i remember seein a previous post about it here :)

Thanks so much I am excited!

Any one know about the Student Host program here or if VCU still has one? If not anyone headed to Richmond for an interview 10/11? Would love to cut some costs PM me!

Any one know about the Student Host program here or if VCU still has one? If not anyone headed to Richmond for an interview 10/11? Would love to cut some costs PM me!

They have a student host program. It should be attached in your interview invite email.

What does the interview invite email say? Is it essentially the same as what's on the portal? I never got one officially, even though I have scheduled one.

What does the interview invite email say? Is it essentially the same as what's on the portal? I never got one officially, even though I have scheduled one.

I think I may have received one only because I had an fmSTAT interview. If you can't find anything about it on the portal then I'd email the admissions office about it. It's probably not my place to pass that info on to others.

Just got this... I'm not sure why my app is on hold since my MCAT was done months ago and I've already graduated with all coursework done.

Please note that your file may be put on hold for the following reasons:
Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.

Just got this... I'm not sure why my app is on hold since my MCAT was done months ago and I've already graduated with all coursework done.

Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.
I have the same thing. I got my MCAT in June and I already graduated. I think it just says that as a note that some people are put on hold for those reasons but not that you have been put on hold. It's not the best wording but if you are concerned, I would contact admissions. I think it just means we are still in review.

I have the same thing. I got my MCAT in June and I already graduated. I think it just says that as a note that some people are put on hold for those reasons but not that you have been put on hold. It's not the best wording but if you are concerned, I would contact admissions. I think it just means we are still in review.

I was just thinking the same thing based on the wording. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

I got the same message, freaked out, and made an SDN account to ask you guys about it........I am taking classes right now but they are not pre-requisites. The way I first read it was that my application is on hold, but realized the sub-committee still has to do their review. So I will call Admissions tomorrow to see what's up.

Honestly, I just want to throw in the towel and call it a day on this stressful cycle.

Based on what I've read so far, it seems that that status is just there to inform people, not necessarily say that you specifically are missing the MCAT / grades from school.

Does anybody have any insight into the "very interested" status and the potential turnaround?

Any MD/PhD applicants heard back yet?
I just got the "very interested" note yesterday. I submit my secondary quite late (9/15 or so). I'd be interested if the II timeline is the same for MD/PhD applicants (i.e. only slots currently available out in Jan-Mar), given that we do have to go through the MD interview process as well.

Alright, I did some research and this is what I found (based on the previous year's thread at around the same time.

1 person got the very interested status and eventually got a rejection. :(
Most people who got the "very interested" status were eventually granted an II. 1 person who got an II in November was able to choose between a November and December date.

Obviously this is based off of last year's stuff but I thought I would report here to let y'all know not to worry too much if you have the "very interested" status. Your time will come

just got "very interested" yesterday after being on review since mid July O_O

I just got the "very interested" note yesterday. I submit my secondary quite late (9/15 or so). I'd be interested if the II timeline is the same for MD/PhD applicants (i.e. only slots currently available out in Jan-Mar), given that we do have to go through the MD interview process as well.

Last edited:
When were you complete?

Late August

Man this is so weird - two nights ago I had a dream (nightmare) that I was interviewing at VCU and showed up late and in sandals. Maybe it's an omen.

Last edited:

I have this too. I completed everything... emailed admissions yet no response.

Beginning of August

Man this is so weird - two nights ago I had a dream (nightmare) that I was interviewing at VCU and showed up late and in sandals. Maybe it's an omen.
Would you mind sharing your stats? I was complete on August 1st and haven't heard anything yet aside from the complete status.

Also has anyone who was complete on August 1st or after been rejected yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into that. Hopefully no one will go from "very interested" to "rejected" this time around. That's pretty cruel :(

Agreed. It seems that it might happen because the very interested message includes a caveat saying that they will invite "if they have enough spots." Here's hoping that they will! Good luck to you as well for this

"Very interested" status this morning. Finally changed after about 2 months. How long should I expect to wait before interview invite or rejection?

Just as an update to others, I have had the "very interested" status for 13-14 days now.

Just got the "very interested" status this morning! Was complete 7/27. I think they'll start rolling out more IIs after Oct. 16th.