2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting for review & this was the second secondary I completed way back in July :')

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I've had the "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." status for about two months now with no change. Is this basically a rejection?

I've had the "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." status for about two months now with no change. Is this basically a rejection?
Nah they just takin their time

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for review & this was the second secondary I completed way back in July :')
+1...complete late July and still waiting for the subcommittee to do a review of my application :')

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if VCU gives a waitlist for those who want to try and interview earlier than their dates

Placed on hold for possible acceptance!

Interviewed late September

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who received II, did you get an official email or just an email about status change?

64 more interview slots are being added to the existing schedule, including half of those to be offered in late November.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PLACED ON HOLD FOR POSSIBLE ACCEPTANCE!!!! Hopefully this gonna me on 10/16
When-one-aliens-gets-chosen-claw.gif

Reactions: 13 users
complete late july, finally switched to "very interested" status

Switched to very interested status, complete early August.

64 more interview slots are being added to the existing schedule, including half of those to be offered in late November.

Thank you for the update, Dean Mission!

I was wondering what this would mean for people that have held the “very interested” status for almost two weeks. Should we anticipate an invitation very soon?

complete late july, finally switched to "very interested" status
hopefully that is me too. was complete 7/25 and still waiting for subcommittee to do review :'(

hopefully that is me too. was complete 7/25 and still waiting for subcommittee to do review :'(

I was complete the week before and I just got the 'review is complete now' status yesterday so you may be hearing back soon

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you Dean Mission for this information!

As someone with an interview scheduled for late February, is there anyway that I would be able to reschedule my current interview for one of those November slots? VCU is one of my top choices and I am in a bit of a time crunch because my fiance is making his residency match list from my medical school acceptance list.

Hey guys, I just noticed that I had missed an "application status change" email from July 17! I checked my portal today and saw that the status has changed to "rejection." Is it possible that I may have missed an II or something and the school interpreted it as a lack of interest?

For those of you who received a rejection, did you get an email or just a "status change"?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just noticed that I had missed an "application status change" email from July 17! I checked my portal today and saw that the status has changed to "rejection." Is it possible that I may have missed an II or something and the school interpreted it as a lack of interest?

For those of you who received a rejection, did you get an email or just a "status change"?
Ha ha.... that's some pretty wishful thinking, dude.

Reactions: 4 users

Dude, that’s very unfortunate. From my experience, I seldom received emails from VCU. It was mainly through checking the portals everyday that I found out about my status changing from very interested to the interview tab. I was never emailed. Only after scheduling the interview and post interviews, I was notified. Nothing before though. VCU is one of the few schools to communicate only through the portal. Most others email

Who else is still waiting to be be reviewed? Complete late July and no status change since. (Neurotically checking portal every day).

Reactions: 11 users
Would you mind sharing your stats? I was complete on August 1st and haven't heard anything yet aside from the complete status.

Also has anyone who was complete on August 1st or after been rejected yet?

My LM is 72 but I'm an MD/PhD applicant, so I think that pile gets reviewed somewhat faster than MD only pile. I'm also an underdog in my stats so I'm pretty surprised they even care about my application for the combined program lol.

Last edited:
Who else is still waiting to be be reviewed? Complete late July and no status change since. (Neurotically checking portal every day).

We're aboard the same boat, Captain. Hopefully it's not the Titanic.

I was complete the week before and I just got the 'review is complete now' status yesterday so you may be hearing back soon
thank you for letting us know! fingers crossed :)

same here, but per above, it seems it could be soon since someone just got reviewed who was complete 7/18.

Marked complete 7/12 - status just changed to "Your file review is now complete."
LizzyM 67.5, ORM
Re-applicant that first received the "very interested" status last cycle, then was rejected pre-II

I've been complete since mid August with the "will now review" status. My Lizzy M is ≈64. Is it safe to say I pretty much don't have a chance of landing an II at this point? I haven't received any II and the process is starting to wear me out...but I'm trying my best to stay hopeful.

Last edited:
I've been complete since mid August with the "will now review" status. My Lizzy M is ≈64. Is it safe to say I pretty much don't have a chance of landing an II at this point? I haven't received any II and the process is starting to wear me out...but I'm trying my best to stay hopeful.

I was complete around same time as you and haven't heard back yet either. Keep your chin up!

Updated today, 10/9/17, complete around Mid/late July

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Assuming this is a silent rejection since it's not the "very interested" status.

UPDATE: For anyone interested, I looked back and this is from Dean Mission in regards to the status: "It means your file review score may or may not be in the invitation range. Unfortunately, there is no way to know; file review priority scores drift as the season progresses and interview slots become limiting. Your residency status may also come into play. Plenty of interviewees originally receive the message you have."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Same here. Apparently they are reviewing August apps but that seems to be some bologna

I was complete 07/12 & still nada. I'm still hopeful VCU will look at my application eventually. Gotta be patient to have patients :)

Received a secondary invitation to VCU today! FINALLY! This is one of my goal schools and the last one to send a secondary invite. Any ideas as to why the long wait to send out secondary? My primary was received late July. Not complaining, just curious!!! Over the moon to be looked at! :)

Received a secondary invitation to VCU today! FINALLY! This is one of my goal schools and the last one to send a secondary invite. Any ideas as to why the long wait to send out secondary? My primary was received late July. Not complaining, just curious!!! Over the moon to be looked at! :)
congrats! whats your II date for? :)

Fair warning here--I'm applying to a lot of schools and was filling out secondaries completely based on deadlines, making my deadlines in Excel at least a couple months before the real ones. Got an e-mail a few days ago that VCU rejects applicants automatically after 60 days of them sending out the invitation. That should have given me until tomorrow to finish, so I was in the middle of doing so, but I got a rejection e-mail a day early. So now I know to make schools a #1 priority once they send a reminder message to complete the secondary!

i live in richmond - how often do you guys think i should be sending them ITA emails

edit: this was meant as a neurotic, desperate joke

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got an email of a status update and now I have the "please anticipate an e-mail from us regarding a possible interview date" message.