2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone else had called the admissions office and they said they were no longer accepting LOIs or updates. I think now the alternate list is probably just ranked from the scores we received on our applications after the MMIs and they are taking people off the list in that order
 
Someone else had called the admissions office and they said they were no longer accepting LOIs or updates. I think now the alternate list is probably just ranked from the scores we received on our applications after the MMIs and they are taking people off the list in that order
Yup can confirm this is what they told me. No one looks at any updates/LOIs since the committee stopped meeting mid March
 
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do I withdraw my acceptance. Do I use the link on portal to "Withdraw Application," or should I email the school. I found nothing specific about withdrawing an acceptance, but did see that to withdraw from the alternate list one should do so in writing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did the same on 3/30 after they post WL info. Felt the same way. Scared to send another email to confirm if they have received it.

I sent one and didn’t get a confirmation as well. I did, however, get a confirmation when I sent an update. My assumption is that they ignored it, because their website says they “discard unsolicited material”.
 
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do I withdraw my acceptance. Do I use the link on portal to "Withdraw Application," or should I email the school. I found nothing specific about withdrawing an acceptance, but did see that to withdraw from the alternate list one should do so in writing.
Ya from my understanding you hit the withdraw button on the portal. I would call them too just in case to confirm
 
Um okay I'm really confused??? Help! Checked my portal just on a whim tonight and I have new tabs for "pay enrollment fee" and "matriculation form", as well as an official transcript section on the main page. Is this a cruel joke or am I in? I did not have any of these changes after accepting my waitlist position, haven't checked in about a week but also never got an email. It still has a message about the alternate list at the top though.

VCU portal.png
 
Um okay I'm really confused??? Help! Checked my portal just on a whim tonight and I have new tabs for "pay enrollment fee" and "matriculation form", as well as an official transcript section on the main page. Is this a cruel joke or am I in? I did not have any of these changes after accepting my waitlist position, haven't checked in about a week but also never got an email. It still has a message about the alternate list at the top though.

View attachment 232592
It looks like you've been accepted! Congrats! I'm sure they'll send you an email regarding a portal update. You can always call tomorrow to double check.
 
Um okay I'm really confused??? Help! Checked my portal just on a whim tonight and I have new tabs for "pay enrollment fee" and "matriculation form", as well as an official transcript section on the main page. Is this a cruel joke or am I in? I did not have any of these changes after accepting my waitlist position, haven't checked in about a week but also never got an email. It still has a message about the alternate list at the top though.

View attachment 232592

From what it seems like for previous posts, this means you're in and you will receive an update tomorrow
 
Um okay I'm really confused??? Help! Checked my portal just on a whim tonight and I have new tabs for "pay enrollment fee" and "matriculation form", as well as an official transcript section on the main page. Is this a cruel joke or am I in? I did not have any of these changes after accepting my waitlist position, haven't checked in about a week but also never got an email. It still has a message about the alternate list at the top though.

View attachment 232592
Congrats!!! IS or OOS?
 
Um okay I'm really confused??? Help! Checked my portal just on a whim tonight and I have new tabs for "pay enrollment fee" and "matriculation form", as well as an official transcript section on the main page. Is this a cruel joke or am I in? I did not have any of these changes after accepting my waitlist position, haven't checked in about a week but also never got an email. It still has a message about the alternate list at the top though.

View attachment 232592

Congratulations in advance.
 
Accepted!! Got an email this morning about an updated status. Checked my portal to find matriculation tabs! First acceptance towards the end of a long and grueling cycle. This was my top choice and I still can't believe it really happened. SOO excited. Hope to see you all there!

OOS, LM: 70, Interview 3/3
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just FYI , called admissions yesterday to get info on waitlist movement and apparently there's only one list which I guess means that there's no IS/OOS distinction. They also said they can't release how many are on it but according to the MSAR it is 100 which makes me think that literally 75/100 got in last year
 
Just FYI , called admissions yesterday to get info on waitlist movement and apparently there's only one list which I guess means that there's no IS/OOS distinction. They also said they can't release how many are on it but according to the MSAR it is 100 which makes me think that literally 75/100 got in last year
They would probably still try to maintain the appropriate OOS vs. IS proportions when filling waitlist spots though right? From what the deans said on interview day, your spot in the class depends on your IS/OOS status, race, gender, etc
 
Does anyone know why VCU decided to interview only 27% of in-state people last year as opposed to almost ~50% of IS interviews during the 2016-17 cycle? Why did they decrease that much 😱
 
Does anyone know why VCU decided to interview only 27% of in-state people last year as opposed to almost ~50% of IS interviews during the 2016-17 cycle? Why did they decrease that much 😱
It might have to do with the fewer total interview invites sent out. Definitely sucks that all the Virginia schools have such heavy OOS bias
 
They would probably still try to maintain the appropriate OOS vs. IS proportions when filling waitlist spots though right? From what the deans said on interview day, your spot in the class depends on your IS/OOS status, race, gender, etc
Possibly ya, but if there's only one list then logically it doesn't matter since it's a ranked WL. You come off in order regardless of your demographics. So I guess being OOS may not have an advantage like it did in the past for WL movement
 
Possibly ya, but if there's only one list then logically it doesn't matter since it's a ranked WL. You come off in order regardless of your demographics. So I guess being OOS may not have an advantage like it did in the past for WL movement
Just because there is one list doesn't mean that demographics are not considered. Interviewed late and admissions clearly said they take based on IS/OOS and try to do M/F as well.
 
Just because there is one list doesn't mean who they take off doesn't depend on demographics. Interviewed late and admissions clearly said they take based on IS/OOS and try to do M/F as well.
How does that work though? They also said it’s a rank order list and people are taken off in a particular order based on their final scores. If there’s only one list that’s ranked I can’t think of a way for them to take all that into account
 
How does that work though? They also said it’s a rank order list and people are taken off in a particular order based on their final scores. If there’s only one list that’s ranked I can’t think of a way for them to take all that into account
You have a list of everyone ranked w/ demographics -> someone turns down acceptance -> accept the first person on the list who meets the same demographics.

I'm sure it's not exactly like this but you get the point.
 
You have a list of everyone ranked w/ demographics -> someone turns down acceptance -> accept the first person on the list who meets the same demographics.

I'm sure it's not exactly like this but you get the point.
So it’s not a real ranked list
 
Do you guys think the computer automatically does the acceptances from the waitlist after a withdrawal comes in or is a person still involved in the process and maybe only look to accept once a week or so. Just curious your thoughts... even though either way isn’t going to change anything lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:clown::clown::clown:
Do you guys think the computer automatically does the acceptances from the waitlist after a withdrawal comes in or is a person still involved in the process and maybe only look to accept once a week or so. Just curious your thoughts... even though either way isn’t going to change anything lol.

I think computer does recommendations and it’s a person who ultimate click the “accept this guy” button. Haha. The waiting process is brutal
 
Can any current VCU med students talk about the school's research opportunities? Is it hard to find research? Does one have to compete with undergrads and stuff?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can OOS residents be considered for IS tuition after the 1st year or so? Or will an OOS be paying OOS tuition for all 4 years?