2017-2018 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did we get an email about that? I think I dropped the ball on this CSS stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Did we get an email about that? I think I dropped the ball on this CSS stuff

I think it was mentioned on interview day and we might have gotten an email about it in the past. It's for sure on the website though. Nothing wrong with getting an early start I guess

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold on what is the CSS?? Do all schools require it, Ive never even heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's the collegeboard version of FAFSA that's supposed to get a more detailed look about your finances that FAFSA doesn't cover. It's also not free which is why I've been advised to not submit it until after your're accepted .Not all schools require it but VCU does in order to give you any financial aid. They have a list of schools that use it on the Collegeboard website you can check out

CSS is listed on the financial aid section of the website. If the website is accurate, CSS is required if you want to be eligible for institutional scholarships. Applicant only seeking loan assistance only need the FAFSA. Financial Aid for M.D. Programs - Financial Aid - VCU School of Medicine

My questions is, do people who get accepted off the waitlist even have a chance at the scholarships?

Reactions: 1 users
I know VCU requires that you fill out the FAFSA along with the CSS profile. I filled out the CSS but haven't submitted it yet. I don't know if there's a deadline. What do you mean by 'go ahead and apply for it'? Did you find a secret link or form to fill out?
I just meant that since I’m not accepted, do I go ahead and apply for it. I don’t have any secret links lol.

Reactions: 1 user
upload_2018-4-11_16-28-8.png

I am really interested in VCU, and currently waitlisted. However, I am holding an acceptance elsewhere for half the cost because I received a need-based scholarship there. Is there a point in keeping myself on the VCU waitlist, in hopes that they attempt to match the other school's tuition? Realistically, cost is very important to me and as much as I loved VCU, I could only attend if they offered a scholarship of some sort to match the other school. Is there any hope?

I am really interested in VCU, and currently waitlisted. However, I am holding an acceptance elsewhere for half the cost because I received a need-based scholarship there. Is there a point in keeping myself on the VCU waitlist, in hopes that they attempt to match the other school's tuition? Or at least bring down the cost of VCU's tuition to more closely resemble what I would be paying at the other school?

From what Ive read on these forums, usually schools will only take another schools offer into consideration if its a Harvard, UCSF, Stanford caliber school

I am really interested in VCU, and currently waitlisted. However, I am holding an acceptance elsewhere for half the cost because I received a need-based scholarship there. Is there a point in keeping myself on the VCU waitlist, in hopes that they attempt to match the other school's tuition? Realistically, cost is very important to me and as much as I loved VCU, I could only attend if they offered a scholarship of some sort to match the other school. Is there any hope?
I think you can call and ask VCU directly and explain this to them if you can only attend with scholarship offers. From my interview day, my m1 tour guy told us that VCU is generous with scholarships but I doubt they will match that 50% off offer you have.

Anyone else check the Facebook page recently? It only has 125 members and several of them are current students? I’m curious as to whether that means people haven’t joined or there’s a lot of spots left to be filled due to people dropping

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else check the Facebook page recently? It only has 125 members and several of them are current students? I’m curious as to whether that means people haven’t joined or there’s a lot of spots left to be filled due to people dropping
Hopefully

Members don't see this ad :)
whats the facebook page called?

personally I didn't know about the Facebook page haha and I'm an accepted student, so I don't think everyone has joined. I will say that because VCU is not going to tell us about our financial aid or scholarships until after April 30, I will most likely be giving my spot to one of you people!!

Reactions: 4 users
personally I didn't know about the Facebook page haha and I'm an accepted student, so I don't think everyone has joined. I will say that because VCU is not going to tell us about our financial aid or scholarships until after April 30, I will most likely be giving my spot to one of you people!!
Are you in state or out of state?

Just as an FYI, I got a financial aid packet based on my FAFSA from VCU in the mail.

For me I only got 40k in unsub loans, not even enough to cover COA since there’s no direct plus ....
I think the max unsub loans you can get is ~40k. Maybe you have to separately apply for grad plus ? Someone else mentioned that scholarships aren’t given out until may so maybe there’s still hope?

i got my financial aid award in my VCU email. also the financial aid office said that they would inform us about grad plus loans later in like june

Just withdrew my acceptance! IS, non URM. Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Does VCU give merit aid? (If they do, how much do they usually give, and what is the max amount that they will give?)
They told us at the interview that most of the aid is need based so I'm leaning towards not really/for a select few to not at all

has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet? I emailed Dean Whitehurst-Cook after finding out that I had been placed on the list and she said they would start to see movement starting in early April and continuing through July 30th. Yet it seems like no one on this forum has been accepted yet...

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet? I emailed Dean Whitehurst-Cook after finding out that I had been placed on the list and she said they would start to see movement starting in early April and continuing through July 30th. Yet it seems like no one on this forum has been accepted yet...
In previous years, movement started around April 23/24 with peaks at April 30/May 15ish among a few others

Did anyone else just receive a prematriculation program email saying that we need to fill out the registration form, but there is no form attached?
Anyone have experience with the Pre-Matriculation Program? Is it worth a month off from summer? Couldn't find much info on it online but I feel like it'd be beneficial if you've been out of school for a while.

Anyone have experience with the Pre-Matriculation Program? Is it worth a month off from summer? Couldn't find much info on it online but I feel like it'd be beneficial if you've been out of school for a while.

When does the pre-matriculation program start?

If I am accepted somewhere else (first acceptance) between the initial waitlist decision and traffic day, do you think it would be important to e-mail VCU to update my answer to the alternate list question?

If I am accepted somewhere else (first acceptance) between the initial waitlist decision and traffic day, do you think it would be important to e-mail VCU to update my answer to the alternate list question?

I probably would just shoot them an email and let them know, just to be safe. Congrats on the other acceptance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Another week for the alternate list
fingers crossed everyone

Reactions: 2 users
Does sending the letter of intent show desperation?:(

Does sending the letter of intent show desperation?:(
Lol I sent one and felt desperate doing it. I never got a reply so I kind of feel like it wasn’t acknowledged.