2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1/11 and have heard nothing today. :O

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 1/11 and have heard nothing today. :O
They did tell me I was "quick to the top", so they may not have gotten to everyone from that day yet. Don't worry, like they always say, no news is good news:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted yesterday, interviewed 1/18

Reactions: 3 users
If I was complete early November and I’m OOS should I just expect to not hear back for a long time?

Reactions: 1 user
If I was complete early November and I’m OOS should I just expect to not hear back for a long time?
I was complete in October and am OOS. I have not heard anything yet.

Just received and declined an II. Hope this goes to someone else!

Just received an II but I declined it. OOS and complete mid August. Good luck everyone!

So does that mean they are done with IS? :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a friendly reminder: the people on SDN are a very small selection of those applying to any med school. Trends of people here aren’t at all reliable for what CMed is actually doing with the application cycle just because this is such a small sample of applicants.

Last year (if I’m recalling correctly) there were over 7,000 applicants.

So take any trends you see or ask about very lightly.

Reactions: 4 users
Does everyone with II have the living in Mt. Pleasant tab on the portal?
I have the tab, but it doesn't show anything when I click on it.

I still haven’t received any news. Complete early Oct, OOS.

Have they sent any pre interview rejections yet??

I think they stop in Feb? Honestly, I'm taking it as a silent rejection at this point. There's no way they haven't even reviewed my app yet...they probably reviewed it and just don't notify until later

Current M2 here; the last interview date is in March. If they are still reviewing your application, do not consider it a rejection yet! There is a reason that your app is still under review :)

Current M2 here; the last interview date is in March. If they are still reviewing your application, do not consider it a rejection yet! There is a reason that your app is still under review :)
How long did you wait after your interview to get an acceptance?

Does anyone when CMU conducts interviews, like on what days of the week?

I have an interview this week, and I'm more nervous about the transportation to and from MSB Airport. I'd rather not drive because 1) I'm a Californian who has never driven in freezing temperatures before 2) It will be late when I arrive/ super early when I depart, so my brain might not be in the best condition for driving in an unfamiliar area for an hour.
If I have to pay $100 for a Lyft, I suppose I'll just have to, but I'm hoping they're available at those times, and I'm not stranded!

If any locals or OOS interviewees have transportation tips, I'd appreciate it!

I have an interview this week, and I'm more nervous about the transportation to and from MSB Airport. I'd rather not drive because 1) I'm a Californian who has never driven in freezing temperatures before 2) It will be late when I arrive/ super early when I depart, so my brain might not be in the best condition for driving in an unfamiliar area for an hour.
If I have to pay $100 for a Lyft, I suppose I'll just have to, but I'm hoping they're available at those times, and I'm not stranded!

Hey, local (but not CMU applicant) here! If you have not driven in freezing whether, I would recommend having to eat the fees for a Lyft. The only reason I say that is because Michigan weather is unpredictable this time of year, and from personal experience of commuting past MBS regularly I can vouch for the fact that it isn't a great road to drive on during the winter. The drive from MBS to CMU is probably a little less than an hour, I think, most of which is highway -- not expressway, like 2-lanes-each-way-and-55-mph highway which is usually clear but not as nice as driving on a bigger expressway. The other major con is worrying about hitting a deer.

The good news is that it isn't a very complicated drive, since you won't have to drive through a city or take a bunch of exits. It's a straight shot. I just wouldn't want to drive on those country roads in winter for an hour if I'm not used to it. I'd say you use that hour to relax, let someone else take the wheel, and get in a good headspace. I wish there were more transportation options I could offer.

Do interviews go through February or March?

According to Weather Underground, there isn’t supposed to be snow in Mt Pleasant again till Sunday, and the county road commission does a very prompt and thorough job of snow removal. TBH, though, if you’re concerned about driving in snow and/or driving while jet lagged, you’re better off either getting a car share (I know there’s Uber service in Mt P, possibly Lyft now as well), or splitting a car rental with another interviewee.

As for transportation in Mt P, there really isn’t any good public transit option, especially for short term visits - the Isabella County “I Ride” bus has a goofy schedule and doesn’t stop too many places near campus, and only one of the hotels in town (the Courtyard) is reasonably walkable to campus. On the other hand, if you wind up coming to CMED, commuter student parking is plentiful and cheap ($180 for the year), and bike transit is pretty doable for a good chunk of the year. I biked to class well into November, as did several of my classmates.

Hope this helps! Welcome to Mt Pleasant, and please don’t hesitate to ask if we can help you with any other questions!

Is anyone else waiting to hear a decision that interviewed 1/18?

Got an II the other day :). Canadian and going on March 8th! Super excited.

GPA >3.9, MCAT 512; worked in 5 labs, >4 publications, international/national conferences, athletics (trained with a triathlon team), volunteer hours clinical/non-clinical >1000 hours, shadowed 3 docs, tons of student groups (i.e. treasurer, student council, mentorship program) and have an MSc.

:) hope that helps and good luck! interviews until the 8th of March. So if anyone cancels there is hope

If I haven't heard back by Feb 28 for a rejection or II, would it be okay to give them a call?
I have been complete since mid September.

Reactions: 2 users
If I haven't heard back by Feb 28 for a rejection or II, would it be okay to give them a call?
Me too complete since mid September... I feel like it was too late to apply then for this school.

I've been complete since the beginning of August.. still silence

There is only one more interview date left (March 8th). So I think at this point, just call and ask. If anyone cancels, then maybe you will be on the top of their mind? Good luck!

FWIW, I was complete in Mid-September, received my II on Feb 5th, and interviewed last Friday. :/

Also as a follow-up to this post, transportation w/o a car is doable but not reliable. When I landed in MBS, I was able to find a Lyft to Mt. Pleasant that was ~$50 (not including tip). There were no Lyfts/ Ubers in the town itself, so I called Chippewa cab for a ride to campus. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the service, please look at their Yelp reviews... I decided to walk back in the snow to my hotel room after the interview, and grab Qdoba for dinner on my way. Actually wasn't a terrible walking distance- Took me ~30 minutes. Slipped on some ice and scraped my knuckles, but still preferable to taking Chippewa cab.

Then I used Griffin cab service for my ride from Mt.Pleasant back to MBS. They were very reliable, but cost me over $80 (not including tip).

anybody else still waiting on a pre Ii decision?

Reactions: 5 users
anybody else still waiting on a pre Ii decision?
I am but seriously at this point what are the chances. We all know that their last interview day is within two weeks.