2018-2019 Charles R Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone verified mid to late-August received a secondary? This is one of my top choices and I'm just so bummed I haven't received one yet. I was verified 8/17.

Really? Over NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

Geffen scholarship>NYU! But I also have no clue if CDU students can even get a Geffen scholarship or if it's regular UCLA geffen only

According to a posts last year, a select few are eligible for the Geffen Scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Over NYU?

California > New York for me. But yeah, NYU definitely another top choice! And at least they like me enough to give me an interview. Can’t even get a secondary from Drew or UCLA

California > New York for me. But yeah, NYU definitely another top choice! And at least they like me enough to give me an interview. Can’t even get a secondary from Drew or UCLA

Maybe it’s your application. NYU and Drew have vastly different mission. One is a research powerhouse with other worldly MCAT/GPA combos. The other is looking for those with commitment to certain populations. On another note, if you got II from NYU, your stats must be insane. Maybe Drew doesn’t think you’ll attend even if they offer you an acceptance...

Maybe it’s your application. NYU and Drew have vastly different mission. One is a research powerhouse with other worldly MCAT/GPA combos. The other is looking for those with commitment to certain populations. On another note, if you got II from NYU, your stats must be insane. Maybe Drew doesn’t think you’ll attend even if they offer you an acceptance...

Nah, definitely don't have insane stats. LM 69 with zero research. NYU was a complete reach. I'm a non-trad, lots of work experience in education though, and some unique aspects of my background. Drew feels more within my reach. This process is just so unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 users
Also received secondary today, LizzyM 66, does anyone know how many secondaries go out?

Please can someone give me more insight on this school. I understand their mission but what I don't fully understand is their linkage to David Geffen. Is CDU a medical school inside David Geffen? does their diploma say David Geffen? do they have different buildings? or is it a separate school, I'm confused. Yeah I have read the website but still confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Describe your community and socioeconomic environment". Is this referring to where I live currently and where I was born and raised? what do you guys think?

Please can someone give me more insight on this school. I understand their mission but what I don't fully understand is their linkage to David Geffen. Is CDU a medical school inside David Geffen? does their diploma say David Geffen? do they have different buildings? or is it a separate school, I'm confused. Yeah I have read the website but still confused.

I worked at UCLA so I know it is for sure not on UCLA's campus. It has it's own campus, away from DGSOM main campus. Beyond that, I am not too sure regarding linkage/diploma.

You do two years at UCLA, 2 at Charles drew. Last years thread said they have 2 white coat ceremonies, 2 graduations, joint degree but 2 diplomas.

How long after sending payment did any of you hear back that it was received, if at all? Definitely wanting to know my check made it there safely!

How long after sending payment did any of you hear back that it was received, if at all? Definitely wanting to know my check made it there safely!

Lol, yeah. I wasn't willing to pay $13 for tracking. I only paid 75 cents to send it. Mine should have arrived anytime from Wednesday to sometime today. Hopefully they got it.

800 characters is crazy!! Its almost impossible to explain your point thoroughly with such character limit. Oh btw I think I forgot to share that I received secondary last week. I added Charles Drew to my AMCAS app in the beginning of September. I hope you all get yours soon, I'm praying for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Finally got a secondary. I was verified 8/17. There is hope!

Can someone help me find the prereqs for Drew? I've looked all over the website and don't see any list of prereqs.

Edited to add: figured out prereqs. They're the same as Geffen

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
When does CRD usually send out interviews? I won't be complete until October because I took my MCAT on sept 19th.
Sub 3.0 cGPA/sGPA but 3.65-3.7 PB 50 credits all science. African-American Male. Worth to send an app?

Secondary received. Verified early August

Finally submitted my secondary today! Hope to hear good news soon!

Did anybody get a “complete” email or acknowledgment of receipt of secondary and payment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When does CRD usually send out interviews? I won't be complete until October because I took my MCAT on sept 19th.
Sub 3.0 cGPA/sGPA but 3.65-3.7 PB 50 credits all science. African-American Male. Worth to send an app?

You won't be complete until October. Hmmm. Judging by the time line, those that submitted early received secondaries around late Aug, early September. That is almost a three month turnaround. Your application may not get look until the very end of the cycle and you may not received an invitation to complete a secondary until late November early December whilst the schools in the midst of sending out II's. Not trying to dissuade you, just giving you a realistic picture of when to hear back.

With that said, I still think you should apply if 1) you can afford it and 2) if your experiences reflect Drew's mission. Judging by your transition from ugrad to PB, you have a story to tell and I think Drew may want to hear it.

You won't be complete until October. Hmmm. Judging by the time line, those that submitted early received secondaries around late Aug, early September. That is almost a three month turnaround. Your application may not get look until the very end of the cycle and you may not received an invitation to complete a secondary until late November early December whilst the schools in the midst of sending out II's. Not trying to dissuade you, just giving you a realistic picture of when to hear back.

With that said, I still think you should apply if 1) you can afford it and 2) if your experiences reflect Drew's mission. Judging by your transition from ugrad to PB, you have a story to tell and I think Drew may want to hear it.
Thanks for the thorough response! Yeah I think I'll send an app in. Does anyone have any idea if CRD takes updates to apps?
I might want to retake the MCAT in January depending on my score.

Thanks for the thorough response! Yeah I think I'll send an app in. Does anyone have any idea if CRD takes updates to apps?

Not sure on their response to updates. However, there are very few schools (including Drew) that will accept an MCAT in January 2019 for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Not sure on their response to updates. However, there are very few schools (including Drew) that will accept an MCAT in January 2019 for the 2018-2019 cycle.

This is true. And since CDU is affiliated with UCLA, I would assume they go by similar rules and deadlines. According to MSAR, UCLA’s latest MCAT accepted is September 1, 2018 for this cycle.

They probably do not allow updates unless secondary has been received. That would be the place to include any updates. It is a pretty long application, 13 questions and one of them allows you to tell them what you are doing right now.

Thank you everyone for the responses. So are the letter requirements the same for UCLA/Geffen too?

Edit: Sent primary in.

Last edited:
Sent secondary last Friday, money was delivered Monday according to fedex. Does anyone know how long it took for them to receive a complete email? Or has anyone been marked complete yet?

Sent secondary last Friday, money was delivered Monday according to fedex. Does anyone know how long it took for them to receive a complete email? Or has anyone been marked complete yet?

No one has been marked complete. Judging my previous comments, you won’t know when your file has been completed.

No one has been marked complete. Judging my previous comments, you won’t know when your file has been completed.
Definitely makes sense. Unfortunately looking through last year's thread, people were marked complete by email and II were given within the week via phone call. That was happening last August/September and we've definitely surpassed that this cycle so looks like things have changed!

Just received an email thanking me for submitting my application and stating that the admissions committee is in the process of reviewing my application!

I sent the secondary on September 23rd and Got the complete email just now. So roughly about 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Just submitted this morning around 9AM and got the complete email just now. So probably getting to all the ones they received just now

Also just got the complete email! Funny we were wondering whether people would be complete!

I got an email saying this “Thank you for submitting your application. The admissions committee is in the process of reviewing you application and will hear from us shortly if an interview is granted.”

I haven’t submitted the money order because I won’t have it until Friday, but I submitted my application last night. Did everyone receive the same message I did or did your email contain the term “complete?”

I got an email saying this “Thank you for submitting your application. The admissions committee is in the process of reviewing you application and will hear from us shortly if an interview is granted.”

I haven’t submitted the money order because I won’t have it until Friday, but I submitted my application last night. Did everyone receive the same message I did or did your email contain the term “complete?”

Same message and I already submitted the money order.

Hi everyone!

I'd appreciate some advice on this secondary prompt: "What has been the one most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?" I was thinking of writing about how I lead phlebotomy workshops for hospital volunteers every few months. I basically prepare for these workshops on my own and teach students about the venipuncture technique + the history of phlebotomy. Would this be relevant to the prompt? I was thinking of this as a leadership experience, but I was told that teaching isn't considered leadership. Now I'm wondering if I could describe this as a "creative activity". What do you all think? Or should I just pick a completely different activity?