2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the initial seat deposit simply reserves the seat or actually accepts the offer? Decisions to be made still, but excited about the acceptance here!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if the initial seat deposit simply reserves the seat or actually accepts the offer? Decisions to be made still, but excited about the acceptance here!
Reserves a seat for ya only, you can withdraw later on if you need to

Reserves a seat for ya only, you can withdraw later on if you need to
Oh okay thank you! I had even called the office and they weren't super clear about it so I wanted to make sure since they give you a short amount of time to pay it but technically students can make decisions up until April 30. Thank you thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II recieved today. Was complete back in October and was pretty sure they forgot about me lol

Reactions: 11 users
Interview invite yesterday. Complete 1/18/2019.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrawing my acceptance from here,

Got accepted to a more local program.

It’s a great school I hope one of you here gets the acceptance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawing my acceptance from here,

Got accepted to a more local program.

It’s a great school I hope one of you here gets the acceptance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
where you headed bud

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, during my interview back in October my interviewers mentioned that they planned on changing the curriculum for 1st years next year. Has there been any new information shared since then? they also mentioned that they were discussing changing the curriculum to P/F, did that happen or is it still graded?

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, during my interview back in October my interviewers mentioned that they planned on changing the curriculum for 1st years next year. Has there been any new information shared since then? they also mentioned that they were discussing changing the curriculum to P/F, did that happen or is it still graded?
I'd also love to hear more about this curriculum change.

Hopefully it gets changed to p/f as well

I'd also love to hear more about this curriculum change.

Hopefully it gets changed to p/f as well

I've emailed a representative of the school regarding this and will let you guys know what they say!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II received today, complete on 12/27. Does anyone know if more interview spots will be opening? Like later in February/the beginning of March?

II received today, complete on 12/27. Does anyone know if more interview spots will be opening? Like later in February/the beginning of March?

I called them earlier and they say spots for later dates will open up as they draw nearer. I personally plan on waiting to schedule mine for the end of February because it works better with my work schedule.

I called them earlier and they say spots for later dates will open up as they draw nearer. I personally plan on waiting to schedule mine for the end of February because it works better with my work schedule.

No buddy.....go asap. We want you in our class!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat. There's no way I can get off work for the current dates they have scheduled. Thanks for the response!

No buddy.....go asap. We want you in our class!!!!!!

Lol I wish I could. Just gotta hope 2 weeks won’t be that big of a deal. If anything it gives me more time to prepare

II today! There were dates as early as after tomorrow, but I scheduled for mid-Feb. DMU is definitely my top choice DO program so I am really hoping for an acceptance.

II today! There were dates as early as after tomorrow, but I scheduled for mid-Feb. DMU is definitely my top choice DO program so I am really hoping for an acceptance.

Good luck and I hope you do well!

Anyone who interviewed 1/18 have portal updates??

I'm not sure! I have a couple friends there let me ask them!

yeah its open. People aren't thrilled obviously

My weather app has -18 degrees in Des Moines right now. Damn.
The craziest part is my weather app also says it's going to be 53 degrees in 4 days.

My weather app has -18 degrees in Des Moines right now. Damn.
The craziest part is my weather app also says it's going to be 53 degrees in 4 days.
windchill -40. -60 windchill northern iowa. Welcome to the midwest!

Interviewed 1/17 and just got the acceptance email!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just scheduled my interview towards the end of February, very excited! If anyone in the area knows some good restaurants or wants to show me around, let me know lol

Can any member of the Facebook group accept my join request or does it have to be an admin?

Can any member of the Facebook group accept my join request or does it have to be an admin?

It has to be an admin, but there are admins from like 2-3 different years, so someone will accept you pretty soon I would imagine.

how long do you have off from school during the first summer after year 1? Also, what do most students do during the summer?

You'll have from mid-late May to mid-late July off, most likely. Some people go back home, some travel, some do research and some do part-time jobs/volunteer somewhere. You can do pretty much whatever you want!

Another question: what are the common/affordable places that students live?

A lot of people live right by campus in apartments (don't know much about them), some people live out in West Des Moines (especially those with families) and some live in other little suburbs. I think 3000 Grand is full of DMU students, and there are quite a few apartments within 5 minutes walking distance that are pretty common for students.

Just scheduled my interview towards the end of February, very excited! If anyone in the area knows some good restaurants or wants to show me around, let me know lol
Exile Brewing Company has some great food and excellent beer! There's a surpising amount of good places to eat downtown and in the east village area.

I've heard from a few people that the interview is a bit more difficult than the standard at most other schools. Can anyone attest to this? Or ca anyone comment on how the interview went/what kinds of questions were asked?

Zombie burger, Exile (Ruthie is honestly my favorite beer now so maybe I should be leaning towards DMU), Jethros, and so many others.

As for hotels, Holiday Inn Express-Des Moines Downtown was awesome as clean, quiet rooms and free shuffle to wherever you’d like to go within a 5 mile radius. Wish I knew this earlier since Ubered from the airport, but they’ll do everything from take you to DMU office of admissions building where you’ll have your interview to pick you up / drop you off at the airport!

I've heard from a few people that the interview is a bit more difficult than the standard at most other schools. Can anyone attest to this? Or ca anyone comment on how the interview went/what kinds of questions were asked?
I did not think it was more difficult. Some of the other candidates in my group seemed surprised at how thoroughly they had reviewed the applications prior to the interview, but if you know your application and can speak to your experiences (ie: why you chose them, what you learned from them, how it is applicable to your future career), I don't think you'll find the interview difficult. Mine was very conversational and reflected their interest in getting to know me as a human being as opposed to drilling me/trying to catch me off guard. I hope that helps or gives you peace of mind.

Zombie burger, Exile (Ruthie is honestly my favorite beer now so maybe I should be leaning towards DMU), Jethros, and so many others.

As for hotels, Holiday Inn Express-Des Moines Downtown was awesome as clean, quiet rooms and free shuffle to wherever you’d like to go within a 5 mile radius. Wish I knew this earlier since Ubered from the airport, but they’ll do everything from take you to DMU office of admissions building where you’ll have your interview to pick you up / drop you off at the airport!

Just to piggyback off of this, the service at Holiday Inn Express- DSM Downtown was 10/10. Best experience I have had at a Holiday Inn. I couldn't believe how friendly the staff was. Coming from the Northeast, I almost mistook their friendliness for sarcasm since I wasn't used to it, but everyone I met was sincere and genuine. The shuttle drivers went out of their way to make sure you got to/from your destinations.

I did not think it was more difficult. Some of the other candidates in my group seemed surprised at how thoroughly they had reviewed the applications prior to the interview, but if you know your application and can speak to your experiences (ie: why you chose them, what you learned from them, how it is applicable to your future career), I don't think you'll find the interview difficult. Mine was very conversational and reflected their interest in getting to know me as a human being as opposed to drilling me/trying to catch me off guard. I hope that helps or gives you peace of mind.
Interesting, that was somewhat the opposite of my experience. Although I also didn't think it was particularly difficult and it seemed like they were trying to get to know me as a person, it didn't seem like they reviewed my application much beforehand - if at all - and asked me what seemed to be standardized questions off a sheet of paper (during which they wrote down comments on it).

Zombie burger was fantastic, peace tree brewing was also good

Zombie burger is good! Iowa Tap room is good too. They have a 100 beers from all over Iowa on tap.

It was definitely different from my other interviews this year. I didn't feel it was as laid back or that I had a chance to talk about myself as much. It was definitely teamwork oriented, which I wasn't prepared for. I feel like they knew I was struggling with a couple of questions and when I thought I had made a safe escape out of the topic they kept bringing it back.

I'm a DSM local, so as far as places to eat there's definitely those unique Zombie Burger, Peace Tree Brewery type places. There's also a lot of good options closer to DMU or the downtown metro (not that ZB or PT aren't, they are) but places like Americana (American, obv), Malo (Latin), Django (French), Akebono (Asian), Bubba's (Upscale Southern), RoCA (American, one of my favs), Felix & Oscars (Pizza). There are tons and I haven't had a single bad experience or dish at ANY of those. I feel like DSM is growing extremely fast and so is the culinary scene.

East Village, where Zombie Burger is, is also buzzing with young, new "hipster" businesses. DSM is, or was, ranked first in the nation as the best spot for young entrepreneurs, and you'll find all their uniqueness in the East Village. Stop by Raygun if you want a sense of some Midwest humor.

Rejected post interview 1/18, kind of surprised. I very much enjoyed the day and felt it went pretty well.

Waitlisted from 1/17. Not really surprised or heartbroken. A lot of external factors feeling like life is encouraging me to make the leap out of the Midwest anyway.