2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told somewhere (can't remember where), Casper is decided only if you take it for admissions purposes. It has no bearing on II or not. If I were you, I WOULD NOT take it. It can only hurt you.
Thanks. I appreciate your input. Are you an applicant this year? Are you speaking from personal experience in that you received an II and admission without taking the test?

Anyone care to weigh in on the opposite view of it being beneficial in securing an II or admission? Can anyone confirm that it is indeed not required? I just got the email this morning, so I plan on asking the admissions office on Monday about its requirements, just thought I'd ask the community first.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. Are you an applicant this year? Are you speaking from personal experience in that you received an II and admission without taking the test?

Anyone care to weigh in on the opposite view of it being beneficial in securing an II or admission? Can anyone confirm that it is indeed not required? I just got the email this morning, so I plan on asking the admissions office on Monday about its requirements, just thought I'd ask the community first.

I got an interview and was accepted without sending them the CASPER. It’s a weird part of an admissions process for sure.

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview and was accepted without sending them the CASPER. It’s a weird part of an admissions process for sure.
Right on. That's what I wanted to hear. The med school process is complicated enough without piling more requirements and demands on applicants. On that principle alone, I'd rather not take it. Sounds like I don't have to either. Thanks a lot, everyone. Quick, meaningful discussions like this are what make SDN a valuable resource to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Casper and was admitted. Many schools are beginning to require it so I would take it just in case

I took the Casper and was admitted. Many schools are beginning to require it so I would take it just in case

I'm sure schools like DMU (who recently started using Casper) are trying to figure out whether it is even worth using or not.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that DMU is using Casper scores (for this cycle) simply for data points rather than making admissions decisions. I could be wrong though...

During my Touro interview, I asked what the deal with Casper was - they told me Casper was being used post-interview as the "final tie-breaker" between applicants. They also said it was rarely required. Again.. just speculation.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure schools like DMU (who recently started using Casper) are trying to figure out whether it is even worth using or not.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess that DMU is using Casper scores (for this cycle) simply for data points rather than making admissions decisions. I could be wrong though...

During my Touro interview, I asked what the deal with Casper was - they told me Casper was being used post-interview as the "final tie-breaker" between applicants. They also said it was rarely required. Again.. just speculation.

Lol how is a test that, from what I can tell, just measures how fast someone can type up a solution for a work disagreement a good tiebreaker between applicants :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Lol how is a test that, from what I can tell, just measures how fast someone can type up a solution for a work disagreement a good tiebreaker between applicants :laugh:

Yeah, I hear you on that. I guess, with individual schools getting like 6k-10k apps each year, people are looking for easier ways to evaluate/stratify applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a scholarship yet? Do they notify you when you receive your admissions descion or do they pick a few students once the class is full?

Has anyone received a scholarship yet? Do they notify you when you receive your admissions descion or do they pick a few students once the class is full?
I wouldn’t count on one there definitely aren’t many given out

I also got an II and accepted w/o a CASPER.

Interviewed 2/15.

Lucky enough to say that each school I've interviewed at I've loved more than the previous one (ATSU-KCOM < LUCOM < DMUCOM). Got great vibes at every school from students and staff, but the facilities and opportunities here really shined over the other 2.

The day goes as follows from what I remember. Arrival between 9-9:25, followed by like 90ish minutes of various introductory information, financial aid info, general health and wellness info, and meeting the interim dean, who seems like a saint. Then we we got an OMM preview and an outlook on what the students thought about it, which was much better executed IMO than at the other 2 schools. You then go to lunch for an hour with a food card that you can buy you way more food than you'd be able to eat. They had burgers, pizza, sandwiches, pasta, and more. I went with the alfredo and toppings which was bomb, as well as their broccoli soup, which was also amazing. Their cookie was really hyped up, but wasn't THAT godlike haha, but solid. After, depending on what interview group you are in, you either interview, or go on tour. I happened to tour first, which seemed better. We got to see the entirety of the relevant parts of the school, including the anatomy lab, tons of simulation rooms, library, study areas, gym, (which is awesome, catch me in intramural basketball and volleyball!) and break room (ping pong + foosball ). Gym being in the same building as everything else, as well as a solid food option, really seems like it will help make days on campus flow better. I really appreciated the multitude of different study rooms and desk setups in the library and otherwise. Housing being nearby and so convenient seems like a huge plus, but parking seems suspect and inconsistent. Honestly, if I get in, I'd try to be in walking distance to be on the safe side. But, overall, super impressive and I loved everything about the campus! Class structure will be changing for our class, but all the current students expressed how jealous they were about the change and that we shouldn't worry about being guinea pigs.

Felt the interviewees were really nice, but it didn't feel as conversational as a lot of people said, though I'm sure it depends on the mix of who is interviewing. It was all behavioral questions pretty much, often two-part, but nothing too weird. They didn't really grill me on any weaknesses or anything which was nice. Wished more was asked about my application specifically, but it didn't bother me too much. I tried coming up with specific examples from my work, school, and life that I felt showed growth, while addressing the focus of the question, and what I got out of it. At the end, I asked the 2 professors and the 1 student each 2 thought-provocative questions that got them to open up more, which I felt helped end the interview in a really warm and positive manner.

They told us that they were going to start slowing down on acceptances in a few weeks, but they said at this moment, they were still accepting students at the same rate as August, but who knows. I ended up catching the student on the way out half an hour later and asked her if the interview went ok, and apparently she and the other interviewees really liked me, so I'm crossing my fingers!

This is definitely my dream school at this point and my heart is set on coming here. Hoping for good news soon and to join you guys soon! :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 2/15.

Lucky enough to say that each school I've interviewed at I've loved more than the previous one (ATSU-KCOM < LUCOM < DMUCOM). Got great vibes at every school from students and staff, but the facilities and opportunities here really shined over the other 2.

The day goes as follows from what I remember. Arrival between 9-9:25, followed by like 90ish minutes of various introductory information, financial aid info, general health and wellness info, and meeting the interim dean, who seems like a saint. Then we we got an OMM preview and an outlook on what the students thought about it, which was much better executed IMO than at the other 2 schools. You then go to lunch for an hour with a food card that you can buy you way more food than you'd be able to eat. They had burgers, pizza, sandwiches, pasta, and more. I went with the alfredo and toppings which was bomb, as well as their broccoli soup, which was also amazing. Their cookie was really hyped up, but wasn't THAT godlike haha, but solid. After, depending on what interview group you are in, you either interview, or go on tour. I happened to tour first, which seemed better. We got to see the entirety of the relevant parts of the school, including the anatomy lab, tons of simulation rooms, library, study areas, gym, (which is awesome, catch me in intramural basketball and volleyball!) and break room (ping pong + foosball ). Gym being in the same building as everything else, as well as a solid food option, really seems like it will help make days on campus flow better. I really appreciated the multitude of different study rooms and desk setups in the library and otherwise. Housing being nearby and so convenient seems like a huge plus, but parking seems suspect and inconsistent. Honestly, if I get in, I'd try to be in walking distance to be on the safe side. But, overall, super impressive and I loved everything about the campus! Class structure will be changing for our class, but all the current students expressed how jealous they were about the change and that we shouldn't worry about being guinea pigs.

Felt the interviewees were really nice, but it didn't feel as conversational as a lot of people said, though I'm sure it depends on the mix of who is interviewing. It was all behavioral questions pretty much, often two-part, but nothing too weird. They didn't really grill me on any weaknesses or anything which was nice. Wished more was asked about my application specifically, but it didn't bother me too much. I tried coming up with specific examples from my work, school, and life that I felt showed growth, while addressing the focus of the question, and what I got out of it. At the end, I asked the 2 professors and the 1 student each 2 thought-provocative questions that got them to open up more, which I felt helped end the interview in a really warm and positive manner.

They told us that they were going to start slowing down on acceptances in a few weeks, but they said at this moment, they were still accepting students at the same rate as August, but who knows. I ended up catching the student on the way out half an hour later and asked her if the interview went ok, and apparently she and the other interviewees really liked me, so I'm crossing my fingers!

This is definitely my dream school at this point and my heart is set on coming here. Hoping for good news soon and to join you guys soon! :xf:
When I interviewed my interviewed told me he was very impressed and that it went well and it lead to an acceptance. Interviewed 2/1/19. Hopefully with your feedback that means you will get in too!!! Good luck! You should hear not this Wednesday but the next!

Do any accepted students or current DMU students have any idea what type of computer/ laptop the incoming class of 2023 will be getting. I apologize if this has been asked previously in this thread, I skimmed through previous posts.

@Chibucks15

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be getting what the first years currently have. It's a smaller touchscreen laptop that folds into a tablet I believe. It's HP. An ok laptop but I prefer what they gave us the year before.
Do any accepted students or current DMU students have any idea what type of computer/ laptop the incoming class of 2023 will be getting. I apologize if this has been asked previously in this thread, I skimmed through previous posts.

@Chibucks15

I'm a second year, we got an HP elitebook (not awesome but serviceable). The first years got a 2 in 1 thing, I don't know the brand.

They were piloting ipads and such but if I had to guess I'd say the 2 in 1s might be what you'll get

I'm a second year, we got an HP elitebook (not awesome but serviceable). The first years got a 2 in 1 thing, I don't know the brand.

They were piloting ipads and such but if I had to guess I'd say the 2 in 1s might be what you'll get
I just asked admissions and they don’t know yet which model but said it will be a laptop

I just asked admissions and they don’t know yet which model but said it will be a laptop

Per faculty: They always stick with the same model at least two years in a row. You'll get what first years get.

Post-II R about an hour ago. Really bummed, I thought it had gone pretty well :/

Post-II R about an hour ago. Really bummed, I thought it had gone pretty well :/

Keep your head up! I was rejected to DMU last year without an interview. This year I applied early got offered an interview and was fortunate enough to be offered acceptance. My biggest advice would be to apply very early in the cycle next year if that's what it comes down to.

My flight got severely delayed so unfortunately I won’t be able to make it to my interview tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this before? I called the school and left a message and will be calling them again, but not sure what else to do. Really bummed because I’m really excited to see the school and the city

I drove to DMU, but the night before my interview Iowa apparently got this bad blizzard. The morning before the interview admissions committee sent me an email talking about the weather with local news/weather links and seemed like they would have been very accommodating if we needed to reschedule. I thanked them for the email and they replied back in a matter of 1-2 minutes, so hopefully someone will get back to you tomorrow morn and you'll be able to find a fix!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed here last week. I was very impressed with the school, specifically their global health focus. Hopefully I will be hearing back from them soon!

Withdrawing today--hope it goes to one of you waiting. Good luck to all!

Does anyone know what time the portal change and acceptance email go out if your accepted?

Thanks!

Found out at 7 PM EST that I was put on the alternate list. Feeling crushed right now. This is still my dream school though and I hope to get in still, so I won't give up yet.

Found out at 7 PM EST that I was put on the alternate list. Feeling crushed right now. This is still my dream school though and I hope to get in still, so I won't give up yet.
Keep your chin up. There should be movement in a few months

When do waitlist positions usually get released? And anybody know how often people get accepted off the waitlist?

My apologies if this has been asked a lot, but I want to be realistic with my expectations and make future plans.

When do waitlist positions usually get released? And anybody know how often people get accepted off the waitlist?

My apologies if this has been asked a lot, but I want to be realistic with my expectations and make future plans.
They interview through March I think so sometime after that.

I was put on the waitlist last cycle (I'm now a first year here at DMU) and heard about my quartile ranking on May 4th of last year. I was in the First Quartile and got accepted to DMU on May 22nd. They did not even get though all of the second quartile of the waitlist last application cycle and were offering acceptances all the way up until the first day of school. In the cycle before me though they offered acceptances to all of those on the waitlist by the middle of June I believe and then started to reinterview people. As you see it varies greatly between each cycle for how many people off of the waitlist that they extend acceptances too. Sorry I don't have a more concrete answer.

I was put on the waitlist last cycle (I'm now a first year here at DMU) and heard about my quartile ranking on May 4th of last year. I was in the First Quartile and got accepted to DMU on May 22nd. They did not even get though all of the second quartile of the waitlist last application cycle and were offering acceptances all the way up until the first day of school. In the cycle before me though they offered acceptances to all of those on the waitlist by the middle of June I believe and then started to reinterview people. As you see it varies greatly between each cycle for how many people off of the waitlist that they extend acceptances too. Sorry I don't have a more concrete answer.

How'd you get housing arrangements and paperwork squared away in time before the start of the year?

Also, do you think your stats put you into the top Q? Were you above avg?

How'd you get housing arrangements and paperwork squared away in time before the start of the year?

Also, do you think your stats put you into the top Q? Were you above avg?

It was a little hectic but doable. I got access to our portal here and started filling out paperwork the day after I got accepted. Most of the paperwork was quick and easy. The only paperwork that took a little bit of time to get together was the financial aid and health/vaccination paperwork. The deadline to have all of the paperwork completed was July 15th but regardless of that deadline they always give you two weeks to complete the paperwork from when you get accepted. I was lucky in that I had a recent physical completed and all necessary vaccinations done so I just had to go get a drug test and find all my health paperwork to send in though if you haven't gotten a recent physical (like within the past 6 months) and are not up to date all on the vaccinations they require then it will take more time to get it all done. DMU financial aid department is also very helpful here and will help you set up any budgets so you know how much money you need to borrow.

As far as housing I flew to Des Moines in June and just drove around and checked out the availability of apartments in the area. A lot of places were full up by then but there was still several good options. (I live at Imperial Apartments directly across the street and love living so close especially since we have had tons of snow this winter and it means I dont have to drive plus I can pop back by to have lunch/grab something I forgot quickly). If you cant make it down to Des Moines each class has a facebook page where people are looking for roommates or are trying to sublease a place and on our portal there is a section were people put out ads looking for roommates or just have a place that they wanna lease.

As far as my stats, I had a 3.33 undergrad GPA, 506 MCAT, no research experience, plenty of health relevant volunteer hours, and had worked in an emergency department as a tech for a year so you can be the judge as to whether that put me in the first quartile.

Got word from current students that curriculum change next year will not include a change to P/F

Did they mention what changes will be happening?
It’s switching to a block schedule. I honestly don’t think it’ll affect much besides a testing schedule. But a step in the right direction. I’m a second year

For the admitted people: What exactly do we need to do for this financial aid package? I'm confused as to what needs to be completed in order to get my award notification..