2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got placed on the Alternate List...I thought my interview went alright...really bummed out. Anybody know how fast the list moves and when people usually get notified?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope. I was complete late July, didn't get an interview until November, and just got accepted a couple days ago. Trust me, there's still hope!
Thanks man. I actually got put on pre-II hold last night. I appreciate the kind words though. Congrats on the acceptance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping they'll send out some early Christmas gift As before the holiday :xf:

Got an II the other day. Declined the invite as I already have been accepted in some allopathic schools. Hope it goes to one of you. Dates btw where from early Jan-Feb.

Reactions: 2 users
Another question: How's the dating scene in Des Moines?

I may not be able to fully answer this question based as I started school married and a decent of my class did as well I would say about 1/4 but there definitely has been several relationships that have sprung up as the semester has progressed. That being said there are many bars/clubs in the near by area if that is what you are in to where you could easily meet people outside of school as well as the many available apps on the market.

Another question: How's the dating scene in Des Moines?

The dating scene is adequate. Nothing spectacular. For the love of god, do not **** where you eat. If you don’t understand that reference, refrain entirely from dating your classmates at all costs unless your classmate happens to be a Mila Kunis doppelganger, or Scar Jo, or whatever suits your fancy.

Not speaking from personal experience thankfully, but man was the backlash from all that entertaining during the first couple years.

I have a question for those of you who are already attending DMU.

I’ve reviewed a lot of the match lists, and I think they look really good, but my question has more to do with the location.

Do you think it would be very difficult to match in residencies In California, or any other state that DMU students typically don’t match into that much?

Or is it mostly your board scores that determine which types of residencies you can compete for ?

I ask this because it seems that most DMU grads seem to stay around the Midwest.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I’ve reviewed a lot of the match lists, and I think they look really good, but my question has more to do with the location.

Do you think it would be very difficult to match in residencies In California, or any other state that DMU students typically don’t match into that much?

I ask this because it seems that most DMU grads seem to stay around the Midwest.

Thanks in advance.

Also interested... I'm coming from the northeast - would love to match back on east coast or Chicago.

Or is it mostly your board scores that determine which types of residencies you can compete for ?

Thanks in advance.

Also interested... I'm coming from the northeast - would love to match back on east coast or Chicago.

I will preface that this is very very very BROAD advice and by no means does it touch the nuances of each specialty but it covers most.

Take both USMLE step 1 and 2CK and at least do average then schedule 2-3 away rotations in the regions you want to go in the specialty of your choice and you will be fine.

Yes there are some ivory tower type of places that are pretty much untouchable but those are becoming fewer each year.

I will preface that this is very very very BROAD advice and by no means does it touch the nuances of each specialty but it covers most.

Take both USMLE step 1 and 2CK and at least do average then schedule 2-3 away rotations in the regions you want to go in the specialty of your choice and you will be fine.

Yes there are some ivory tower type of places that are pretty much untouchable but those are becoming fewer each year.

Okay, that makes sense.

Do the away rotations have to be at the same place where you’re looking into a residency ? Or just the same region & specialty ?

Okay, that makes sense.

Do the away rotations have to be at the same place where you’re looking into a residency ? Or just the same region & specialty ?

Just same region and specialty. For example, if you want to match in California, you can rotate anywhere in the state obviously but also in the states in the same region as well. Similarly for marching east coast, but you would ideally split that into Northeast and Southeast. If you want both of those then just rotate along the coast at various programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long DMUCOM takes to make a decision after an interview. For example if I had a interview on the 18th of January, how long after would it take to decide if I am accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

Does anyone know how long DMUCOM takes to make a decision after an interview. For example if I had a interview on the 18th of January, how long after would it take to decide if I am accepted/waitlisted/rejected?

They told us the timeline was 1-4 weeks

In general, it varies no matter which school you're referring to. I had a friend interview at DMU in September and he heard back after only two weeks. I interviewed on November 16th and heard back on December 19th - almost 5 full weeks.

It was about 2.5 weeks for me

Do you receive any sort of clinical experiences during the first and second year at DMU? Also, do interact with the people of Des moines or surrounding community, like by volunteering or anything? Lastly, does DMU have any special tracks, such as rural or wilderness medicine track?

Do you receive any sort of clinical experiences during the first and second year at DMU? Also, do interact with the people of Des moines or surrounding community, like by volunteering or anything? Lastly, does DMU have any special tracks, such as rural or wilderness medicine track?

There are plenty of opportunities during 1st and 2nd year to interact with the people of DSM and Iowa like Drake clinic with the track and field team and Amish clinic with an Amish community that comes to DMU. There’s also homeless outreach and a free clinic for opportunities. There’s plenty more but those are the big ones.

There’s a rural track for sure. No wilderness medicine track. They have an medical education type track as well.

Can any current students chime in for a few questions about the nitty gritty of the curriculum?

-How many hours per weeks of required mandatory attendance labs/classes are there?
-How often are there exams?
-Are you happy with the rotation sites?

I wouldn't mind getting a pm. Just please give me the brutally honest deets.

Reactions: 3 users
Can any current students chime in for a few questions about the nitty gritty of the curriculum?

-How many hours per weeks of required mandatory attendance labs/classes are there?
-How often are there exams?
-Are you happy with the rotation sites?

I wouldn't mind getting a pm. Just please give me the brutally honest deets.

Mandatory classes vary, with the bulk of them being first year. OMM lecture and lab are mandatory, which is a total of 2.5 hours most weeks with some weeks off and some rare weeks with 3.5 or so hours. Anatomy lab is mandatory as well, which is basically 2 hours each session and this alternates more or less (one session one week, two sessions the next) and so on. Clin med lab is an hour a week most weeks. I have no idea how any of this may change with the block schedule. Expect to be on campus 3-4 days out of the week for mandatory stuff, but other than that it's your time. Second semester of first year has fewer mandatory requirements. Second year is much more flexible with mandatory OMM, SIM labs, OSCEs and other various activities. I go to campus basically every day, solely because I don't study at home. Otherwise, I could get away with only coming to campus once or twice a week most of the time.

Exams are generally once weekly to twice weekly. There will occasionally be super tough weeks with two big exams or maybe three exams, but everyone suffers together and people make it through. Be aware this will likely change quite a bit by next year due to the new block scheduling. I believe they have until Jan to finalize the plan as far as that goes. Something about having to have everything in place before the new academic calendar comes out or something.

Rotation sites would best be answered by a third+ year because we're just now starting the lottery process. I'm cautiously optimistic about rotations, but I'm sure my classmates run the entire gamut when it comes to opinions of the rotation sites.

Reactions: 4 users
Mandatory classes vary, with the bulk of them being first year. OMM lecture and lab are mandatory, which is a total of 2.5 hours most weeks with some weeks off and some rare weeks with 3.5 or so hours. Anatomy lab is mandatory as well, which is basically 2 hours each session and this alternates more or less (one session one week, two sessions the next) and so on. Clin med lab is an hour a week most weeks. I have no idea how any of this may change with the block schedule. Expect to be on campus 3-4 days out of the week for mandatory stuff, but other than that it's your time. Second semester of first year has fewer mandatory requirements. Second year is much more flexible with mandatory OMM, SIM labs, OSCEs and other various activities. I go to campus basically every day, solely because I don't study at home. Otherwise, I could get away with only coming to campus once or twice a week most of the time.

Exams are generally once weekly to twice weekly. There will occasionally be super tough weeks with two big exams or maybe three exams, but everyone suffers together and people make it through. Be aware this will likely change quite a bit by next year due to the new block scheduling. I believe they have until Jan to finalize the plan as far as that goes. Something about having to have everything in place before the new academic calendar comes out or something.

Rotation sites would best be answered by a third+ year because we're just now starting the lottery process. I'm cautiously optimistic about rotations, but I'm sure my classmates run the entire gamut when it comes to opinions of the rotation sites.

Thank you!

Does anyone know how much of the class is filled around this time? I know they interview until february and it takes 60-90 days for them to give a review so is it pretty much pointless to apply at this point?

LizzyM 65.5

Yeah I'd recommend waiting. It's getting late to apply.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using SDN mobile

Do you guys think that a Jan 10th interview is too late? I’ve heard nothing but great things about DMU so I’m hoping that it’s still early enough that I won’t be interviewing for a waitlist.

Do you guys think that a Jan 10th interview is too late? I’ve heard nothing but great things about DMU so I’m hoping that it’s still early enough that I won’t be interviewing for a waitlist.
Search last year's thread to see if people with January interviews were accepted.

Search last year's thread to see if people with January interviews were accepted.
Thanks for reminding me, I did look through last year’s thread last night. Seemed to me that people interviewing in Feb and March were mostly waitlisted but January was like any other. Who knows statistically though since most interviewees/acceptors aren’t on these forums obviously.

Thanks for reminding me, I did look through last year’s thread last night. Seemed to me that people interviewing in Feb and March were mostly waitlisted but January was like any other. Who knows statistically though since most interviewees/acceptors aren’t on these forums obviously.
I'd be fairly optimistic with an early January interview, especially considering last year.

Good luck!

Got another hold email yesterday (after getting one in November).. not sure if that’s a good thing

Do I have to call to cancel my interview here? Can't find anywhere to do it on the portal.

Thanks guys.

Anybody know what to expect if placed on the Alternate List and how exactly that works? Interviewed on 11/29. Thanks!

This is a totally dorky question and I'm so sorry in advance, but I figured it's better to ask here than looking dumb or childish to the committee/school.

I interview on 1/10, and my mom is flying down with me. Is any portion of the interview day guest-friendly? I would hate for her to have to sit in the hotel room all day (but of course if that is the expectation or what is socially the norm for this sort of thing it will be no issue). She went with me to all of my college campus tours, but obviously with medical school comes an extra level of professionalism and I don't want to come off as overly-dependent. She is just very excited for me and really wants to see the school as well.

Sorry guys, and thanks in advance. I love my mom lol - she's a very sweet lady!

This is a totally dorky question and I'm so sorry in advance, but I figured it's better to ask here than looking dumb or childish to the committee/school.

I interview on 1/10, and my mom is flying down with me. Is any portion of the interview day guest-friendly? I would hate for her to have to sit in the hotel room all day (but of course if that is the expectation or what is socially the norm for this sort of thing it will be no issue). She went with me to all of my college campus tours, but obviously with medical school comes an extra level of professionalism and I don't want to come off as overly-dependent. She is just very excited for me and really wants to see the school as well.

No she can’t come. It’s just for interviewees

Anyone have an idea when we will be obtaining additional matriculation info? e.g. immunizations, equipment needs, etc.
Getting antsy.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have an idea when we will be obtaining additional matriculation info? e.g. immunizations, equipment needs, etc.
Getting antsy.
The new semester just started today so I'm assuming everyone is still getting back into the swing of things. Once the stuff comes there's more than enough to keep ya busy before you start haha

It's not uncommon for some people to come through with parents to see the campus, but it's not done on interview days. She may just have to wait until you start school and come see it before a weekend or break or something.

But she doesn't have to stay in the hotel room either! There's the Papajohn Sculpture Park downtown by campus, a few malls if she likes to walk around/shop (Jordan Creek, Merle Hay and a couple others), there are some cool little shops in the East Village (closer to campus) and Valley Junction (farther out west) and some good coffee shops close to campus. Hopefully you guys can find something to occupy her time!

It's not uncommon for some people to come through with parents to see the campus, but it's not done on interview days. She may just have to wait until you start school and come see it before a weekend or break or something.

But she doesn't have to stay in the hotel room either! There's the Papajohn Sculpture Park downtown by campus, a few malls if she likes to walk around/shop (Jordan Creek, Merle Hay and a couple others), there are some cool little shops in the East Village (closer to campus) and Valley Junction (farther out west) and some good coffee shops close to campus. Hopefully you guys can find something to occupy her time!

Oh my gosh thank you so much! Great to hear from someone familiar with the area! I will pass this information on to her. Hoping for some (relatively) fair weather from her, coming from -20 F weather back home.

As you've heard arleady she won't be able to attend unfortunately, but along with the other recommendations she could go to the botanical center! It's pretty cool and if she likes coffee shops I recommend scenic route or smokey row. There's surprisingly a good amount of stuff to do in Des Moines