2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Silly question, but does anyone know when new students can use the gym?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did send them an email this week- interviewed Feb 18th- they said decisions would be out next week!

Yeah I got the same email (though they just said soon not a specific date). Kinda surprised it’s taking so long since a lot of people heard back a lot sooner. Oh well nothing we can do about it except wait it out lol

Yeah I got the same email (though they just said soon not a specific date). Kinda surprised it’s taking so long since a lot of people heard back a lot sooner. Oh well nothing we can do about it except wait it out lol

I’m in the same boat as you guys. Some people heard back but I don’t think any acceptances went out. Seems like it was just waitlist decisions. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Placed on alternate list. Kinda surprised because I thought the interview went well. But also not surprised because it sounded like they’re done sending out acceptances. Oh well wasn’t meant to be

Reactions: 1 users
Placed on alternate list. Kinda surprised because I thought the interview went well. But also not surprised because it sounded like they’re done sending out acceptances. Oh well wasn’t meant to be
Sorry bro. Hey the alternate list is not a bad place to be though!

Are interviews done? I was put on hold. Just curious if anyone knew. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
How did DMU do in the match

I stole the following post below from @ShowtimeKaner88 on a different thread.

DMU Match Incomplete - Just pulled from about 120ish posts on fb group

Sincerest Apologies for not being in alphabetical order

Anesthesia

Univ. Of Kansas

Univ. of Florida – Gainesville

UTMB - Galveston

EM

Spectrum Health – Grand Rapids x 2

Wake Forest

Indiana

Duke

Detroit Receiving

Southern Illinois

San Antonio Military

St. Joseph – California

UNMC x 4

Kingman Regional – Arizona

Univ. of Rochester

Health Partners/Regions – St. Paul

Hofstra/Northwell – Long Island

Ascension Macomb Oakland

OB/GYN

Southern Illinois

Indiana University

Lehigh Valley Health Network – PA

Beaumont Farmington Hills, MI

UICOM-Peoria, IL

Univ. of Buffalo

Univ. of Connecticut

Ohio Health-Doctors

Peds

Childrens Mercy – Kansas City

Univ. of Iowa

Univ. of Wisconsin x 2

Wright Patterson Air Force Base

Sanford Childrens – South Dakota

Rush University – Chicago, IL

Univ. of Rochester, NY

Family Medicine

UMKC

Univ. of Missouri – Capital Region Med Center

Iowa Lutheran x 3

University of Wisconsin x 2

Mayo Clinic

St. Marks Family Medicine – Utah

Oregon Health and Sciences University – Portland, OR

CWRU/Metrohealth – Cleveland, OH

Broadlawns – Des Moines, IA x 2

San Joaquin General – California

Kaiser Permanente – Orange County, CA

Texas A&M

Presence Resurrection, Chicago, IL

UC-Riverside/RUHS – California

Rapid City Regional, - South Dakota

Internal Medicine

Abbott Northwestern – Minneapolis

Univ. of Minnesota

Hennepin County Medical Center

Medical College of Wisconsin x 2

Des Moines Methodist x 2

Med-Peds

Univ. South Florida

Psych

Broadlawns/Unity Point – Des Moines, IA

Central Michigan

Univ. of Iowa

LewisGale Medical Center – Roanoke, VA

Mayo Clinic

Spokane, Washington

Orthopedics

UPMC-Pinnacle

Ohio Health – Doctors

Larkin – Miami, FL

Grandview Medical Center – Dayton, OH

Pathology

Univ. of New Mexico

Ohio State University

General Surgery

San Diego Naval Medical Center – Military

Ascension Macomb Oakland – Michigan

Ohio Health-Doctors Hospital

University of Connecticut

Otolaryngology

Oklahoma State University – Tulsa

Radiology

Univ. of Arizona

Vascular Surgery

UMass

AOA Match
2019 – 16 DMU students received a residency via the AOA Match
FM – 2
IM – 2
OB – 1
PMNR – 1
EM – 2
Ortho – 7
ENT – 1
Gen Surg – 1

Urology Match
2019 – 3 students obtained residencies in Urology

Ophthalmology Match
2019 – 1 student matched in the Ophthalmology match

Military Match
2019 – 11 matched into the Military Match (up from 10 last year)
ENT – 1
EM – 3
Gen Surg – 1
Peds/Peds flight – 3
Transitional Year – 3

Reactions: 5 users
Umass vasc surg, Michigan uro, Uconn gen surg, and Duke EM :flame:

Looking forward to seeing the entire list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Full Match Data for 2019

Attachments

• Match Data No Names.xlsx
    23.8 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: 5 users
I mean mostly AOA so a grain of salt

Does that somehow make it less of an accomplishment? Matching ortho is extremely difficult for DO's and MD's. Matching ACGME ortho as a DO is near impossible, but that doesn't mean these students just waltzed into AOA ortho. It's also a show of performance that we had 7 ortho matches on top of a multitude of other surgical subspecialities including ENT, Vascular, Ophtho, and Urology.

Get out of here with that bs commentary

Reactions: 4 users
"Eh, he's just a DO Orthopedic Surgeon" :smack:

Reactions: 3 users
Does that somehow make it less of an accomplishment? Matching ortho is extremely difficult for DO's and MD's. Matching ACGME ortho as a DO is near impossible, but that doesn't mean these students just waltzed into AOA ortho. It's also a show of performance that we had 7 ortho matches on top of a multitude of other surgical subspecialities including ENT, Vascular, Ophtho, and Urology.

Get out of here with that bs commentary
Absolutely not at all what I meant. My apologies, looking back at my comment it does appear disrespectful and I did not mean it that way at all. Ortho of any kind is prestigious. Hell, I don't even expect to hold myself to that standard. Sincerest apologies. My only comment is in regards to the merger, that some of those same programs may not be available and that it will just become more competitive moving forward. Again, sorry for the miscommunication.

Wish I could but my wife’s brother decided to get married.

Anyone going back for the tour dates?
yea, planning on going to the one in april with the fam so they can get a chance to check out the school. Also, I need to find roommates/housing and I'm much more likable in person then online. do we need to RSVP or email the school for the tours?

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday. I loved it here but it didn't make financial sense for me to go here. Best of luck all!

Ok question! Is Des Moines especially the school area affected by the flood right now?? How about the polar vortex? I’m from Cali and ... flood would just be too much for me :/

Are the folks interviewing this week interviewing for waitlist spots or are there still spots in the class? It's my understanding Thursday and Friday are the last interviews for the cycle.

yea, planning on going to the one in april with the fam so they can get a chance to check out the school. Also, I need to find roommates/housing and I'm much more likable in person then online. do we need to RSVP or email the school for the tours?
I believe they said email on the pulse announcement and I think I'll be there for the April one as well!

Ok question! Is Des Moines especially the school area affected by the flood right now?? How about the polar vortex? I’m from Cali and ... flood would just be too much for me :/
An area south of campus had flooding issues along the river; there was one major road that was closed for a bit. If you want to google it, it was Fluer Drive around Water Works Park. But most of Des Moines didn't have issues. The campus is in a higher area of town so it's way above that flood plain. The polar vortex was brutal this year, it got really cold with wind chills in the -50's. However, this isn't typical, most years there will only be a week or two where temperatures are below zero (not usually to this magnitude either) and it's spread out throughout the winter. Despite the weird year with weather and flooding, I absolutely love living in Des Moines and would recommend it to anyone!

Are the folks interviewing this week interviewing for waitlist spots or are there still spots in the class? It's my understanding Thursday and Friday are the last interviews for the cycle.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I recall hearing that they are done sending out acceptances so you’re basically interviewing for a waitlist spot

Just got another hold email. Why you gotta be like this, DMU?

CkmvRq8.jpg

A question for current students; I am currently trying to decide between KCOM and DMU with the latter being my top choice at the moment, but I was recently told that at DMU there is a portion of students going into their third year who actually receive no year long rotation site placement and have to scramble to arrange them on their own. Could anybody elaborate on this? And if true, how do people cope with this?

A question for current students; I am currently trying to decide between KCOM and DMU with the latter being my top choice at the moment, but I was recently told that at DMU there is a portion of students going into their third year who actually receive no year long rotation site placement and have to scramble to arrange them on their own. Could anybody elaborate on this? And if true, how do people cope with this?
It isn't as bad as that. Yes, there are some people who have non-year long sites, but coordinators help you set it all up. Most of the year (besides 2 months of 'out' rotations) you're within 70 miles of DSM. Not gonna say it isn't stressful, but it definitely isn't the end of the world. Some people elect to choose non year-long because it gives them flexibility to schedule their own rotations through connections they may have. However, this takes a lot of work but I definitely know people who scheduled entire year in the same area back where they're from.

EDIT: There's about 25% of the class maybe? I'm not 100% sure. I think something like 90% of students got their top 10 choices so if you don't want non-year long you have a pretty good shot that you won't get it if you don't rank it. Obviously it happens still though.

Also, a lot changes in 2 years. Hell DMU is going to have a new campus when you start so who knows what rotation agreements are in place at that point

It isn't as bad as that. Yes, there are some people who have non-year long sites, but coordinators help you set it all up. Most of the year (besides 2 months of 'out' rotations) you're within 70 miles of DSM. Not gonna say it isn't stressful, but it definitely isn't the end of the world. Some people elect to choose non year-long because it gives them flexibility to schedule their own rotations through connections they may have. However, this takes a lot of work but I definitely know people who scheduled entire year in the same area back where they're from.

EDIT: There's about 25% of the class maybe? I'm not 100% sure. I think something like 90% of students got their top 10 choices so if you don't want non-year long you have a pretty good shot that you won't get it if you don't rank it. Obviously it happens still though.

Also, a lot changes in 2 years. Hell DMU is going to have a new campus when you start so who knows what rotation agreements are in place at that point
thanks for taking the time to answer. Can you or anyone else answer an even more basic question? What is even meant by a year-long site versus a non a year-long one ? Is the former where you would do all the different clinical rotations you do in your third year all-in-one hospital or health system, and the latter is where you have to go to different hospitals or health systems to do the many different rotations? Sorry if this is a stupid question

thanks for taking the time to answer. Can you or anyone else answer an even more basic question? What is even meant by a year-long site versus a non a year-long one ? Is the former where you would do all the different clinical rotations you do in your third year all-in-one hospital or health system, and the latter is where you have to go to different hospitals or health systems to do the many different rotations? Sorry if this is a stupid question

That is not a stupid question at all- it was one of my big worries about DMU, and after being at DMU for a year it makes a lot more more sense. This might be a long reply, but I'm going to try and explain it fully. You've essentially got it right that the difference is that you're at one health system in a year-long, while non-year longs aren't at the same hospital.

So there’s two ways that you can do rotations: year-long, and non-year long. Of the 220 students in this year's 2nd year class, roughly 160-170 ended up in year long sites, but the # of year-long sites will be increasing in the next few years. Here's what the differences are:

1) Year Long: These rotations are entirely set up by the school and selected using a lottery system in spring of 2nd year. The rotation sites typically are in the Midwest with a few being further away. I would estimate that around 60-70 students get placed in year-long sites in the Des Moines area, with probably another 50 in Iowa communities (other than DSM), and another 50 in locations elsewhere (Indiana, Texas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc). You can find the past year's sites on the DMU website, although obviously they are subject to change. Year-long sites provide all of the necessary rotations for 3rd year in one physical location. This is probably what you traditionally think of when you think about rotations.

2) Non Year Long: The other option is to have non-year long rotations. The big difference is that in non-year long, you can be in various hospitals and clinics throughout the year. Typically 8 or 9 of your 10 rotations are in the Central Iowa area (within 30 minutes of DMU) and 1 is an "out" rotation, which is still in the midwest, but may be a little bit further away. For example, you may have family medicine at Broadlawns in Des Moines, pediatrics at Unitypoint-Blank Children's, psych at MercyOne-Des Moines, etc, and then maybe OB/Gyn in Central Nebraska (or at some other site around the Midwest). The cool part of this is if you know a physician that you want to set up a rotation with, DMU will work with you to try and coordinate that. But if you don't know any physicians that you want to rotate with, DMU will set up everything for you! You can set up either a few rotations with physicians you know, or you can even set up your entire 3rd year, if you're able to do that. DMU is helpful in coordinating everything, and it's actually a lot less stressful than it seems. Some students actually prefer to have non-year long rotations because it allows them to explore many different hospitals and settings, and makes sure they'll stay in the Des Moines area.

Just to clarify, there is absolutely no circumstance that you have to set up rotations on your own. If you want to do that, DMU will help you. But if you're non-year long, DMU will find everything for you and get them all lined up. It's a collaborative process and actually works really well.

All in all, my personal opinion is that it definitely isn’t a big thing to worry about. DMU is known to have some great rotation sites with some of the top preceptors in the country, and it’s something that they’re working hard on improving. I would bet by the time you're 3rd years, they will have a year-long rotation site for every students that wants one, and DMU will continue making sure every student has quality experiences on rotations. Hopefully that makes sense, if not- I can definitely try to answer more questions.

Reactions: 6 users

Flooding can occur anywhere in the country, the winter does get really cold by bearable if you have the proper attire and especially if you have a garage for a car if you elect to have one.

That is not a stupid question at all- it was one of my big worries about DMU, and after being at DMU for a year it makes a lot more more sense. This might be a long reply, but I'm going to try and explain it fully. You've essentially got it right that the difference is that you're at one health system in a year-long, while non-year longs aren't at the same hospital.

So there’s two ways that you can do rotations: year-long, and non-year long. Of the 220 students in this year's 2nd year class, roughly 160-170 ended up in year long sites, but the # of year-long sites will be increasing in the next few years. Here's what the differences are:

1) Year Long: These rotations are entirely set up by the school and selected using a lottery system in spring of 2nd year. The rotation sites typically are in the Midwest with a few being further away. I would estimate that around 60-70 students get placed in year-long sites in the Des Moines area, with probably another 50 in Iowa communities (other than DSM), and another 50 in locations elsewhere (Indiana, Texas, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc). You can find the past year's sites on the DMU website, although obviously they are subject to change. Year-long sites provide all of the necessary rotations for 3rd year in one physical location. This is probably what you traditionally think of when you think about rotations.

2) Non Year Long: The other option is to have non-year long rotations. The big difference is that in non-year long, you can be in various hospitals and clinics throughout the year. Typically 8 or 9 of your 10 rotations are in the Central Iowa area (within 30 minutes of DMU) and 1 is an "out" rotation, which is still in the midwest, but may be a little bit further away. For example, you may have family medicine at Broadlawns in Des Moines, pediatrics at Unitypoint-Blank Children's, psych at MercyOne-Des Moines, etc, and then maybe OB/Gyn in Central Nebraska (or at some other site around the Midwest). The cool part of this is if you know a physician that you want to set up a rotation with, DMU will work with you to try and coordinate that. But if you don't know any physicians that you want to rotate with, DMU will set up everything for you! You can set up either a few rotations with physicians you know, or you can even set up your entire 3rd year, if you're able to do that. DMU is helpful in coordinating everything, and it's actually a lot less stressful than it seems. Some students actually prefer to have non-year long rotations because it allows them to explore many different hospitals and settings, and makes sure they'll stay in the Des Moines area.

Just to clarify, there is absolutely no circumstance that you have to set up rotations on your own. If you want to do that, DMU will help you. But if you're non-year long, DMU will find everything for you and get them all lined up. It's a collaborative process and actually works really well.

All in all, my personal opinion is that it definitely isn’t a big thing to worry about. DMU is known to have some great rotation sites with some of the top preceptors in the country, and it’s something that they’re working hard on improving. I would bet by the time you're 3rd years, they will have a year-long rotation site for every students that wants one, and DMU will continue making sure every student has quality experiences on rotations. Hopefully that makes sense, if not- I can definitely try to answer more questions.

Quick question. So you say they are assigned by lottery, but how exactly does the process work? Like do you rank the top 10 places you want then you should theoretically get something on your list? I reeeaaaallly would like to be in Texas for that third year (where I'm from/want to practice) so I'm curious how desired that spot would be to DMU students

Another basic question from a noob, just to clarify. So we can go to DMU and say hey, I know a doctor I'd like to have a rotation with. Do these physicians have to have any sort of qualifications with DMU or be at a teaching hospital or anything specific like that? Or can it really just be any doctor we know and would like to get experience from in their specialty?

Quick question. So you say they are assigned by lottery, but how exactly does the process work? Like do you rank the top 10 places you want then you should theoretically get something on your list? I reeeaaaallly would like to be in Texas for that third year (where I'm from/want to practice) so I'm curious how desired that spot would be to DMU students

You rank your 10 places and it’s run through a computer system. Like the match but much less sophisticated. Unless it’s changed, the Texas site had two slots for students. 1 of which is chosen by the site from personal statements submitted by students.

With your background being from Texas, I’d hypothetically say you have a good shot of going there with a personal statement and laying out your connections to Texas and why you want to return.

Another basic question from a noob, just to clarify. So we can go to DMU and say hey, I know a doctor I'd like to have a rotation with. Do these physicians have to have any sort of qualifications with DMU or be at a teaching hospital or anything specific like that? Or can it really just be any doctor we know and would like to get experience from in their specialty?

Yes theoretically you can do this. The biggest thing needed to rotate with a doc is an affiliation agreement between DMU and the hospital system/clinic/wherever the doc works. All that is is paperwork stating the site/doc is willing to take responsibility for your learning.

DMU does have policies that prohibit you from rotating with family members though, just FYI.

Yes theoretically you can do this. The biggest thing needed to rotate with a doc is an affiliation agreement between DMU and the hospital system/clinic/wherever the doc works. All that is is paperwork stating the site/doc is willing to take responsibility for your learning.

DMU does have policies that prohibit you from rotating with family members though, just FYI.
Awesome, thanks!

You rank your 10 places and it’s run through a computer system. Like the match but much less sophisticated. Unless it’s changed, the Texas site had two slots for students. 1 of which is chosen by the site from personal statements submitted by students.

With your background being from Texas, I’d hypothetically say you have a good shot of going there with a personal statement and laying out your connections to Texas and why you want to return.

Just FYI, for the current 2nd years (who will be on rotations in June of this year), there were 5 spots open in the Texas rotation site.

Just FYI, for the current 2nd years (who will be on rotations in June of this year), there were 5 spots open in the Texas rotation site.
Are you saying there were 5 total spots to fill or 5 spots left over following the rotation selection/lottery?

Are you saying there were 5 total spots to fill or 5 spots left over following the rotation selection/lottery?

Oops, that was confusing. There were spots for 5 students that were part of the lottery. There are typically no leftover spots following the lottery.

They promised that we would hear back before April 1st for the rank on the alternate list. Anyone did?