2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are interviews done for this season?

Members don't see this ad.

They promised that we would hear back before April 1st for the rank on the alternate list. Anyone did?

Are interviews done for this season?

I heard today was the last interview day for this year, so they definitely could not have the alternate list ranks out by now. Last year it seemed to be around May 5th, so maybe by May 1st would be a more correct date? I'm not entirely sure in regards to the situation with the alternate list.

Just a heads up for you Texas people. I’m a first year from Texas, my big in the second year is from Texas, and her big in the third year is also from Texas. When applying for clinical rotations for third year there is only one rotation site in Texas in San Antonio. Just because you were born and raised in Texas and send a personal statement to the hospital in San Antonio saying how much you love Texas and wannna move back and practice there does not mean you will get a spot in San Antonio. There are several Texans that have gotten bumped out of the Texan rotation spot for non-Texans. You also can only send a personal statement to your top rotation site meaning that if you put Texas as your top site and don’t get it you are pretty much forfeiting a spot in Des Moines even if you put it as your second or third choice because so many people put Des Moines as their first choice meaning you’ll probably wind up somewhere else like in rural Iowa. I’m not saying that you won’t get a Texas spot I’m just saying it’s not a surefire thing. Just to be prepared.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They promised that we would hear back before April 1st for the rank on the alternate list. Anyone did?

I haven't heard back, but I also don't think I received that promise from them. Considering they usually don't get past the top quartile, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Just a heads up for you Texas people. I’m a first year from Texas, my big in the second year is from Texas, and her big in the third year is also from Texas. When applying for clinical rotations for third year there is only one rotation site in Texas in San Antonio. Just because you were born and raised in Texas and send a personal statement to the hospital in San Antonio saying how much you love Texas and wannna move back and practice there does not mean you will get a spot in San Antonio. There are several Texans that have gotten bumped out of the Texan rotation spot for non-Texans. You also can only send a personal statement to your top rotation site meaning that if you put Texas as your top site and don’t get it you are pretty much forfeiting a spot in Des Moines even if you put it as your second or third choice because so many people put Des Moines as their first choice meaning you’ll probably wind up somewhere else like in rural Iowa. I’m not saying that you won’t get a Texas spot I’m just saying it’s not a surefire thing. Just to be prepared.

*cautious yeehaw*

Anyone else receive instructions for background check / drug screen?

2nd Quartile in the alternate list. How much of a chance do I have of acceptance?

Do they usually make it through the first quartile and into the second?

It varies each year, I think. On interview day, they said some years they went down to 2nd or 3rd, while during others, they didn’t even get through the 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email at 2:40 pm mountain time that I am in the first quartile of the alternate list. Hope is alive

Ay, I got put in the 1st quartile of the alternate list too! Anyone know historically if they always get through that quartile, at bare minimum? Would love to go to DMU, my #1 choice right now for sure.

Was anybody put in the 3rd or 4th quartiles...? Seems like all people posting are in 1st or 2nd

Also got placed top quartile. Seems like everyone does lol. Wonder how many of us they’re gonna take? Also probably means I probably won’t get any fin aid

Did anyone on the alternate list get an email saying they were high priority?

I wonder what this means as to the timeline for when they will begin pulling off the waitlist

I wonder what this means as to the timeline for when they will begin pulling off the waitlist

Last year, I think “high priority” folks started to get taken off in late April, and first quartile people started to get taken off in May.

It’s important to note that the quartiles aren’t all of equal size... so the first could have 20 people and the second could have 10. The sizes of the quartiles this year will influence how many quartiles down they’ll be able to go.

Last year, I think “high priority” folks started to get taken off in late April, and first quartile people started to get taken off in May.

It’s important to note that the quartiles aren’t all of equal size... so the first could have 20 people and the second could have 10. The sizes of the quartiles this year will influence how many quartiles down they’ll be able to go.
Good luck all you people on the waitlist! Hope to see you this fall!

It looked like that was with the quartiles being announced late April/early May though, so I wonder if with it being so much earlier they will start pulling earlier (or at least we can hope that will be the case).

It looked like that was with the quartiles being announced late April/early May though, so I wonder if with it being so much earlier they will start pulling earlier (or at least we can hope that will be the case).
I doubt it. The final seat deposit is May 1st. Many of the accepted student will wait until then to decide which school to attend and if they get off any other waitlists. After May first they should have a better idea of what the class looks like.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you sure that it is different? Does anyone know if everyone in the first quartile gets that email?
I got a first quartile email but it didn’t mention any priority so I do think they are different.

In my email for being placed on the alternate list I had the phrase:

“Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available.” Does this mean then that I’m a first alternate or is it saying that when a position becomes available appropriately as they’ve gone through other alternates that I’ll be considered?

Additionally, there was no mention of quartiles in this email so I’m a bit confused as to where I’m positioned.

If someone could share some insight I’d be grateful!
Thanks!

“Your position within the Alternate List guarantees that you will be considered if space becomes available.” Does this mean then that I’m a first alternate or is it saying that when a position becomes available appropriately as they’ve gone through other alternates that I’ll be considered?

Additionally, there was no mention of quartiles in this email so I’m a bit confused as to where I’m positioned.

Thanks!

When were you placed on the waitlist?

Have any other 3/15 interview people heard anything back yet? I seriously hope an email is coming soon!

Thanks!

I was also waitlisted today, hopefully we get our quartile rankings soon

We have to pay for the background check ourselves? Idk why I thought it would be any different lol.

Reactions: 6 users
Has any 3rd or 4th quartile information been released?

Withdrew my acceptance today and I'm hoping it goes to one of you guys :thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know historically how far into the waitlist they pull? I know it can vary from year to year, just trying to guestimate the chances of getting an offer in the first quartile. Seems like the first quartile has a lot of students in it, then again the sample population on SDN probably isn't as representative of the entire waitlist population.

Anyone know historically how far into the waitlist they pull? I know it can vary from year to year, just trying to guestimate the chances of getting an offer in the first quartile. Seems like the first quartile has a lot of students in it, then again the sample population on SDN probably isn't as representative of the entire waitlist population.

Totally varies year to year. Some years they don’t get through the whole first quartile. Other years, they drop down to lower quartiles. The quartile sizes vary year to year, and so do the number of people who withdraw their acceptances. It’s impossible to know for sure how things will play out. Last year, I think they reached part of the second quartile.

Totally varies year to year. Some years they don’t get through the whole first quartile. Other years, they drop down to lower quartiles. The quartile sizes vary year to year, and so do the number of people who withdraw their acceptances. It’s impossible to know for sure how things will play out. Last year, I think they reached part of the second quartile.

Given the lack of the "multiple acceptance report" for MD programs, I feel like it's reasonable to anticipate more wait list movement from MD programs this year. With DMU being an "upper tier DO school" with borderline MD stats, I could definitely see more students withdrawing acceptances this cycle to go MD.

Just speculation though.

Reactions: 2 users
Given the lack of the "multiple acceptance report" for MD programs, I feel like it's reasonable to anticipate more wait list movement from MD programs this year. With DMU being an "upper tier DO school" with borderline MD stats, I could definitely see more students withdrawing acceptances this cycle to go MD.

Just speculation though.
Solid observation

Here's what I know historically:

First of all, @CJhooper123 's comment about DMU taking a lot of "MD Candidates" is very accurate. DMU ends up having a lot more waitlist movement than comparable DO schools because of that reason. I think it's largely location based and because DMU has a history of being one of (if not the) top DO school. So that helps.

As @HaveAnOsteoblast said, the quartiles are not the same size. I believe that Quartile 1 is probably bigger, but SDN is already very skewed with high performing students. Many of the people in the 3rd and 4th quartile aren't on here, and if they are, they don't necessarily want to say they're in that quartile for understandable reasons. I'm very sure the quartiles aren't that far off, and that they're probably nearly 20-30% each.

Here's the past 3 years:

2016: I believe the waitlist moved into the 2nd quartile, but I'm not 100% sure

2017: TBH I have no idea how this happened, but DMU went through the entire waitlist, and had to re-interview in June for the class that started 2 months later. Obviously they've made ways to not have this happen ever again, probably by making a larger waitlist.

2018: Last year, they pulled from the first quartile from May 3rd until June 10th, and then pulled a few students off 2nd quartile from June 10th until classes started.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 7 users
Here's what I know historically:

First of all, @CJhooper123 's comment about DMU taking a lot of "MD Candidates" is very accurate. DMU ends up having a lot more waitlist movement than comparable DO schools because of that reason. I think it's largely location based and because DMU has a history of being one of (if not the) top DO school. So that helps.

As @HaveAnOsteoblast said, the quartiles are not the same size. I believe that Quartile 1 is probably bigger, but SDN is already very skewed with high performing students. Many of the people in the 3rd and 4th quartile aren't on here, and if they are, they don't necessarily want to say they're in that quartile for understandable reasons. I'm very sure the quartiles aren't that far off, and that they're probably nearly 20-30% each.

Here's the past 3 years:

2016: I believe the waitlist moved into the 2nd quartile, but I'm not 100% sure

2017: TBH I have no idea how this happened, but DMU went through the entire waitlist, and had to re-interview in June for the class that started 2 months later. Obviously they've made ways to not have this happen ever again, probably by making a larger waitlist.

2018: Last year, they pulled from the first quartile from May 3rd until June 10th, and then pulled a few students off 2nd quartile from June 10th until classes started.

Hope that helps!
Very much so, thank you for your insight!!

I got an email today that i am on hold pre-II and they will continue to review my file. Aren't they done with interviews though?

I got an email today that i am on hold pre-II and they will continue to review my file. Aren't they done with interviews though?

From what I was told, March 28th and 29th were the last two scheduled interview dates. I wonder if that’s a situation where they are having people on hold in case they find themselves needing to re-interview again like what happened two years ago? That’s my best guess!

From what I was told, March 28th and 29th were the last two scheduled interview dates. I wonder if that’s a situation where they are having people on hold in case they find themselves needing to re-interview again like what happened two years ago? That’s my best guess!
This is the correct answer. I'm sure they were fairly embarrassed when they had to contact people whom they had they had previously rejected and ask them back for interviews. As to how many are in that position ("hold") is anyone's guess.

Hi all,
I was placed on the alternate list after interviewing in late March and just received the quartile ranking email. For those placed on the "high alternate" list, did you receive a third email specifying the high alternate list, or was this part of the second email specifying your quartile ranking? Thank you in advance for your time!