2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
I was placed on the alternate list after interviewing in late March and just received the quartile ranking email. For those placed on the "high alternate" list, did you receive a third email specifying the high alternate list, or was this part of the second email specifying your quartile ranking? Thank you in advance for your time!

I’m not sure how it was for the others, but I received a “you are on the waitlist” email on a Thursday, and then the next day my email specified that I was “high priority, which places you within the first quartile”.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure how it was for the others, but I received a “you are on the waitlist” email on a Thursday, and then the next day my email specified that I was “high priority, which places you within the first quartile”.

This is how it was for me as well. Based on what I've read, it looks like we're in a good spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Still on pre-II hold. Considering this a silent rejection at this time in the cycle.

Anyone in the high priority or first quartile been getting off the waitlist? I'm second quartile and have received an offer at another DO school, but have DMU as higher on my list rn and am trying to figure out my chances.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone in the high priority or first quartile been getting off the waitlist? I'm second quartile and have received an offer at another DO school, but have DMU as higher on my list rn and am trying to figure out my chances.

I’m in the same boat, high priority on this waitlist and just accepted to another school with a $1000 deposit due within 2 weeks. I’ve only been on the waitlist for about two weeks, but I haven’t heard anything yet. I think I’ll just have to lose the deposit at the other school if DMU comes through with the offer after May 1st, as it’s seemed in the past the majority of people came off starting in May.

We can all agree it’s likely that DMU will show you love.
Having said that I would put the deposit down and hold A acceptance somewhere.

Where's everyone living next year?

Also, has anyone else submitted their background check & supporting docs but haven't received their report yet? My status report still says Not Completed but I submitted about two weeks ago.

Where's everyone living next year?

Also, has anyone else submitted their background check & supporting docs but haven't received their report yet? My status report still says Not Completed but I submitted about two weeks ago.

Apartments across the street & mines been completed. Took over two weeks

Have not done my background check or drug screen yet. How long does it take. It just needs to be started by the first of May not completed right?

Have not done my background check or drug screen yet. How long does it take. It just needs to be started by the first of May not completed right?
I'd like to know this too. Like the deposit, I'm trying to hold off on actually getting these done because I want to save money if I get off the waitlist at an instate school. If anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know this too. Like the deposit, I'm trying to hold off on actually getting these done because I want to save money if I get off the waitlist at an instate school. If anyone knows the answer, I'd appreciate it.
Same.

From what I understand of the reading the deposit is due May 1. The drug screen needs to be started May 1 but isn’t due until June 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email acceptance from the waitlist!! I was first quartile, high priority!

Reactions: 7 users
For those wondering how long the drug screen takes: I gave my sample yesterday afternoon and just received an email that my results are available.

For those wondering how long the drug screen takes: I gave my sample yesterday afternoon and just received an email that my results are available.
Simply out of curiosity, what type of test did they do? Urine, blood, hair? It's just kind of surprising they gave you the results so fast

It seems like a lot of people are "high priority." Kinda curious why they didn't just make the high priority people the first quartile and the non-high priority first quartile people second quartile. The way they did it is sorta confusing

It seems like a lot of people are "high priority." Kinda curious why they didn't just make the high priority people the first quartile and the non-high priority first quartile people second quartile. The way they did it is sorta confusing
I thought the exact same thing!

Yeah, plus it seems like there aren't any people in the 3rd or 4th quartile this year.

Yeah, plus it seems like there aren't any people in the 3rd or 4th quartile this year.
One thing to learn, especially early on, is DMU is very very sparsely represented on here. Which honestly is a good thing because most people are actually nice and help each other, which wouldn't be the case if it was a bunch of SDNers out here

Are there any students doing work study? How is it to balance that and school?

Are there any students doing work study? How is it to balance that and school?
You mostly study while you do it. It doesn’t take a lot of time. Personally I’d rather have more time at home but if ya want the extra tiny amount of cash go for it

To clarify the Loan Request Form: We're just submitting the amount we would like to take out and then DMU approves it. So we aren't actually on the hook for that amount at this time right? Only if we matriculate at DMU then we'll receive the funds in July/August, correct?

I know nothing about loans lol

To clarify the Loan Request Form: We're just submitting the amount we would like to take out and then DMU approves it. So we aren't actually on the hook for that amount at this time right? Only if we matriculate at DMU then we'll receive the funds in July/August, correct?

Lol don't worry, I have the financial literacy of a 12 year old, no joke. I'm waiting for an answer to your question too.

This is correct. Financial Aid will review your request and approve it before sending it off in July, after which funds are dispersed and excess funds usually returned to you a week or two after the first day of class.

How about if I am locked into DMU (July 29 orientation) and on the WL at my instate MD (Aug 5 orientation)? Can I start orientation and get into my MD on Aug 4?

Any more news from waitlisted folks?
Nothing so far on my end
I wouldn't expect to hear back regarding waitlist movement until the first through last week of May. April 30th is the deadline for most people to narrow their MD acceptances down to one program (there are some programs whose deadlines aren't until mid-May), after which MD schools will see waitlist movement, pulling many borderline MD/DO applicants out of the DO pool and into the MD mix. The majority will opt for an MD school over a DO school, after which those applicants will rescind their DO acceptances, opening up spots for you wonderful folks. Further, May 1st is the "DO deposit deadline", so many like myself will have to narrow their DO acceptances to just one which will, too, open up spots for you wonderful folks.

I wouldn't expect to hear back regarding waitlist movement until the first through last week of May. April 30th is the deadline for most people to narrow their MD acceptances down to one program (there are some programs whose deadlines aren't until mid-May), after which MD schools will see waitlist movement, pulling many borderline MD/DO applicants out of the DO pool and into the MD mix. The majority will opt for an MD school over a DO school, after which those applicants will rescind their DO acceptances, opening up spots for you wonderful folks. Further, May 1st is the "DO deposit deadline", so many like myself will have to narrow their DO acceptances to just one which will, too, open up spots for you wonderful folks.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been counting on. I didn’t and don’t expect to hear anything for at least a couple more weeks lol

^^interesting act that passed the Iowa legislature this week. Is it common for residencies to explicitly give preference to applicants that went to school in that state or is this an unusual move?

This is a giant move for the state of Iowa. It's effect will require all residencies at the University of Iowa to give priority to Iowa residents or graduates from medical school in Iowa (AKA DMU). It also makes so that their residencies must provide a rural option. All are ways to try and help more doctors stay in the state, but in turn it will help DMU grads get into many of their extremely exclusive residency spots.

This is a giant move for the state of Iowa. It's effect will require all residencies at the University of Iowa to give priority to Iowa residents or graduates from medical school in Iowa (AKA DMU). It also makes so that their residencies must provide a rural option. All are ways to try and help more doctors stay in the state, but in turn it will help DMU grads get into many of their extremely exclusive residency spots.

Lol, residency program PDs can just ignore it and continue to rank however they want.

Lol, residency program PDs can just ignore it and continue to rank however they want.

I thought the same thing, but from what I've heard from the people from DMU advocating for it, they can't just ignore it. The funding for all of their programs would depend on them following the law and they definitely need the state and federal funding. Either way, it's still great for us and all of the future DMU students.

I thought the same thing, but from what I've heard from the people from DMU advocating for it, they can't just ignore it. The funding for all of their programs would depend on them following the law and they definitely need the state and federal funding. Either way, it's still great for us and all of the future DMU students.
Oh there’s a billion ways they could get around it. But it’s a start haha

Oh there’s a billion ways they could get around it. But it’s a start haha
Yeah I figured I shouldn't get overly optimistic haha but who knows. Also love the wording of this —> "The university of Iowa carver college of medicine shall review the feasibility of offering additional fourth-year electives to students attending Des Moines university" like yeah that sounds super binding lol

Yeah I figured I shouldn't get overly optimistic haha but who knows. Also love the wording of this —> "The university of Iowa carver college of medicine shall review the feasibility of offering additional fourth-year electives to students attending Des Moines university" like yeah that sounds super binding lol
That’s the killer is that they don’t like DOs even rotating there. But they take some for residency so it seems like a weird rule. Also, from what I heard University of Iowa was one of the last places in the country to move to electronic health records (still had people using paper like 5-6 years ago) sooo it takes them a bit to come around to change haha

I check the DMU portal periodically, and today a new section under my supplemental items just opened up that says “outstanding requirements confirmation”, does anybody know what this means?

I check the DMU portal periodically, and today a new section under my supplemental items just opened up that says “outstanding requirements confirmation”, does anybody know what this means?
Go to "View Application Status" then hit "View" under Outstanding Requirements.Print out this page, sign it, then upload as a PDF under your supplemental items.

You're basically agreeing to get the background check and you acknowledge their right to withdraw your acceptance should the background check turn out poorly.