2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing here next week, can't believe it's middle of October already

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone figured out a general timeline for decisions regarding II? I received the complete email 9/13, so I was wondering when I should expect to hear back. I also read that the committee meets on Tuesdays and decisions are usually sent Wednesdays, can anyone verify this?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does DMU have a dress code? I couldn't really find any information on that anywhere else.
Not really. Some events are business casual and some things you have to be dressed up for but no dress code otherwise.

The caveat to that is basically don’t look like a slob. Wear sweatpants if you want, but pick out the nice sweatpants haha most people just wear scrub pants and a t shirt to things

Anyone know what days of the week they do interviews? So far I know it’s thursday&friday

Any other 9/20 interviewers think we will hear back today? Wednesday seems to be the lucky day? and it's been almost 3 weeks

I'm soooo impatient.

I interviewed on 9/20 and received an acceptance email at 12:57 today!!! Very excited, this is a great school!

Reactions: 2 users
Was it a call or email? OMG! It's happening!

Email. Check your DMU portal. Before receiving my email this morning I had checked the portal and it said "submit supplemental items" and "9/10 required items received" so I figured a good email was coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Email. Check your DMU portal. Before receiving my email this morning I had checked the portal and it said "submit supplemental items" and "9/10 required items received" so I figured a good email was coming.
I GOT AN EMAIL! WOOHOO ACCEPTED

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!!

Did you submit the same PS and essays? Did you show any improvement from last year?
I have shown improvement and it was a question in the secondary asking what ive done since last cycle since I'm a re applicant. And I did different essays and improved my ps

Sent from my SM-N900P using SDN mobile

Is there an easy way to cancel an interview here through the portal? I never even got a confirmation email about the date I selected

Is there an easy way to cancel an interview here through the portal? I never even got a confirmation email about the date I selected

I never got a confirmation email after I selected a date either. Just a reminder the week of my interview.

I’m sure you can email/call them to confirm!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I never got a confirmation email after I selected a date either. Just a reminder the week of my interview.

Ahh I really was hoping to cancel without email/call but alright

hmmm strange. My interview is 10/15 and I didn't receive an email since the confirmation.

Is it bad if I want to take a couple of pics during the tour for my wife at home? Should I just leave the phone off?

Is it bad if I want to take a couple of pics during the tour for my wife at home? Should I just leave the phone off?
I honestly doubt it'll be a big deal...just cant be in like the cadaver lab and don't be taking pics of literally everything. Talk to your tour guide and he/she will steer ya right

Current 1st year here: I'd have your wife check out this 360 tour of DMU's campus. It highlights the vast majority of the things that you'll see on your tour, and then you won't have to have your phone out throughout the tour.

Complete email, August 3rd.
Application placed on hold, Sept 23rd. :(

What has this historically meant for applicants? I've tried searching for information on their website, and found little on sdn. Kinda bummed about this one because its such a great school and near my home!

I'm a current first year also from the state of Iowa. I just saw this and figured I would share that I was in the exact same scenario as you. I was put on hold around this time last year, then sent a few update letters. I got an interview in February, was placed on the waitlist and was taken off the waitlist in early June. Although it was super stressful getting in, I cannot recommend DMU enough. It's such a caring, family atmosphere where you feel cared for every step of the way. I think that's one of the most important things about medical schools- you can get a good education at a lot of places, but if you want a great education, I feel it comes from places where you feel supported and every single person at DMU is focused on your success as a student and future physician. It also helps that our board pass rate is #1 in the nation and residency match rate is nearly 100 (only 1 person in the past 5 years hasn't matched, because he turned his stuff in way too late). Plus I've talked to a few professors about your schedule next year (moving to block schedule rather than "normal" schedule like we have now) and you're going to really enjoy it. They're really taking a lot of time to consider what each week will be like for you all and try to reduce stress while still making sure you're understanding everything.

TL;DR: Don't worry, DMU's a super great place and there's definitely still a chance you'll get in.

Reactions: 2 users
For those that have interviewed... what is the schedule like? I haven't booked a flight or selected a date yet (still figuring out with courses at university) but if I had a flight at 6:30 pm would that work out? Is there anywhere at the school to leave a carry on bag in order to go straight to the airport? Thank you.

For those that have interviewed... what is the schedule like? I haven't booked a flight or selected a date yet (still figuring out with courses at university) but if I had a flight at 6:30 pm would that work out? Is there anywhere at the school to leave a carry on bag in order to go straight to the airport? Thank you.
Our day was finished at around 3pm, the latest would probably be 330, so that would probably be perfect timing for a 630 flight. They let us keep our bags in the admissions office.

Our day was finished at around 3pm, the latest would probably be 330, so that would probably be perfect timing for a 630 flight. They let us keep our bags in the admissions office.
Thanks! How did you get from hotel to school? Shuttle or uber/taxi

Thanks! How did you get from hotel to school? Shuttle or uber/taxi
I road tripped to Iowa with a friend for my interview, so she just dropped me off at the student center in the morning, but we had no problems getting an uber in the evening. I imagine you'd be fine to uber to/from the hotel/airport without issues.

This is a nice little town. At the downtown Marriott, got it for a decent price. I might just leave it off.

Uber is like 10 minutes from the airport...

To those of you interviewing and staying at downtown hotels, many of the shuttles will drive you to DMU for your interview if you ask nicely when picked up from the airport. :) They don't advertise it, but it's such a short drive, many will take you and let you save that Uber money.

Also, as far as the school goes, it is what you make of it. No med school is perfect and how well you do often times has to do with the effort you put in. The biggest pitfall with DMU, (and pretty much any DO school), is the lack of permanent, standardized clinical rotation sites. We don't have our own hospital so rotations can be out pretty far away from campus depending on your luck. That being said, the DMU alumni I know have all raved about how well we're prepared by the time we hit residency.

What an amazing school! Everybody was insane nice as well. The interview was smooth and the interview was two nice faculty members. A ton of behavioral questions.

How do you find out about interview invitations (email, portal, etc.)?

Received an ii via email last night! Super stoked. Complete July 24th, LizzyM 66.

Reactions: 6 users
Alright so ill be in des Moines for a couple days this interview week. Where are the must have places for eating? Suggestions please

I interviewed here yesterday and loved my interview day! It was the most comprehensive interview day I've had and I felt like my interviewers were genuinely interested in me. Yes it was situational, but it was very conversational. One of the best interviews I've been on. I checked with the admissions office for contact information of my interviewers and they respectfully declined, stating that they do not want applicants to have contact with their interviewers after the interview day. Is this typical or is this something they're doing this year specifically since they changed their interview style?

I interviewed here yesterday and loved my interview day! It was the most comprehensive interview day I've had and I felt like my interviewers were genuinely interested in me. Yes it was situational, but it was very conversational. One of the best interviews I've been on. I checked with the admissions office for contact information of my interviewers and they respectfully declined, stating that they do not want applicants to have contact with their interviewers after the interview day. Is this typical or is this something they're doing this year specifically since they changed their interview style?
When I asked for contact info they said they don't give it out but told me I could send thank you emails to admissions and they would pass them on to the interviewers.