2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview invite today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello ladies and gents, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but I checked the thread and could not find much info. How are letters received for this school. Is it mandatory to go through aacomas? I ask because I have my letters stored with my undergraduate institution, so it has been difficult figuring out how to have them uploaded to aacomas at the moment, I've literally been sending letters to schools directly at this point in time. Any advice? At any point after the primary submission, does the school prompt you to have letters submitted to them?

With the letters stored at the undergraduate institution, if it is a letter packet developed by a portal via your school then you can enter the letter packet information on AACOMAS! I had to do that for mine

Reactions: 1 user
With the letters stored at the undergraduate institution, if it is a letter packet developed by a portal via your school then you can enter the letter packet information on AACOMAS! I had to do that for mine
Thank you! For some reason I thought AACOMAS didn’t do packets haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of what the post interview acceptance rate is for DMU? I am assuming it is somewhat high? They apparently only have about 15 students at each interview day and they have a class size of ~220.

Does anyone have an idea of what the post interview acceptance rate is for DMU? I am assuming it is somewhat high? They apparently only have about 15 students at each interview day and they have a class size of ~220.
Yeah but they do 3x interview days a week (sometimes 2)

So 45 interviews*week until April 1stish... So if you're counting 29 weeks, minus Thanksgiving and Christmas/New years... 26 weeks left of interview season.
45*26=1170

You figure they accept ~2x the class size
So 440/1170= 37% acceptance rate. That's probably the lowest using rough numbers. They probably start interviewing for the wait list in sometime in March and have more weeks with 2 days than I'm counting. So a rough estimate would probably be around 40-50%

But, I don't think they actually release those numbers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

During my interview, they said that they interview about 1,100 people and there will be 219 spots available this year. They didn't say how many they accept though.

During my interview, they said that they interview about 1,100 people and there will be 219 spots available this year. They didn't say how many they accept though.
They have a 45% matriculation rate from offered acceptances. So they offer about 2x

Wow really? I saw a document about post-interview acceptance rates (from someone on Reddit) that said DMU gets about 3500 applications, interviews about 650 and accepts like 80% of those interviewed. Granted I have no idea where those stats came from but that's a pretty big difference in number interviewed.

Wow really? I saw a document about post-interview acceptance rates (from someone on Reddit) that said DMU gets about 3500 applications, interviews about 650 and accepts like 80% of those interviewed. Granted I have no idea where those stats came from but that's a pretty big difference in number interviewed.
Maybe. I know they don't always interview 15 at a time. Sometimes less. Usually 10-15

Yeah they gave us an exact number that I don’t remember but I’m sure it was between 1,000 and 1,100

Bummer, I don't like those odds as much haha

To be fair, the student interviewers/tour guides gave us the answer and they were doing the same calculations as you guys to determine how many interviews are given out. They asked the office how many interview days they had scheduled and also confirmed that it would be about 15 students/day, then multiplied and got around 1,100 interviews. So maybe it drops in numbers later on in the season? Although if they have the days scheduled already then I doubt it

Members don't see this ad :)

I straight up asked Admissions a week or two ago, they told me post interview acceptance rate is 60-65% depending on the year and they expect it to be the same

Reactions: 5 users
Do we have to complete the CASPER test in order to get an interview here?

ACCCEEEEEPPPTTTEEEDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interviewed on 8/30

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! So happy!

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED IM CRYING!!!!!!!! I’m speechless!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
II today. Marked complete on 8/9. Current interview dates are 9/20, 9/27, 10/4, and 10/11. Anybody know when more dates may be posted? 10/18 would work best, so kinda wondering if its okay to wait for another date to show up

Interview tomorrow! I’m staying in Des Moines tonight, let me know if anyone wants to meet up. :)

Congrats to all who were accepted!

My interview is coming up and I'm having a hard time figuring out what their interview process is like. I heard that there will be a panel of 2-3ish people.
Is it open or closed file? If you could tell me your experiences I would appreciate it!
Thanks! <3

Congrats to all who were accepted!

My interview is coming up and I'm having a hard time figuring out what their interview process is like. I heard that there will be a panel of 2-3ish people.
Is it open or closed file? If you could tell me your experiences I would appreciate it!
Thanks! <3

It is totally open file, meaning they have everything, even letters of rec supposedly! 2-3 people, yes, and all were so nice. They asked a lottt of questions; it is scheduled for 45 min but mine went to 50. They were more situational aka they want examples of you handle interactions with people and how well you know yourself. They asked why DO but surprisingly not why DMU (still be prepared for that though). Did not feel like I was being grilled, but I definitely did a lot of talking. Interviews are after lunch, which made my nerves go out of control, lol! But you will be fine! Good luck!! :)

It is totally open file, meaning they have everything, even letters of rec supposedly! 2-3 people, yes, and all were so nice. They asked a lottt of questions; it is scheduled for 45 min but mine went to 50. They were more situational aka they want examples of you handle interactions with people and how well you know yourself. They asked why DO but surprisingly not why DMU (still be prepared for that though). Did not feel like I was being grilled, but I definitely did a lot of talking. Interviews are after lunch, which made my nerves go out of control, lol! But you will be fine! Good luck!! :)
Pretty much. The faculty have your whole file, while the student only gets to see your PS and ECs. Be specific and talk about specific scenarios. At the end of my interview I took a second to thank them and explain basically why I loved DMU and why it's the best school for me (I currently attend as a master's student) I haven't gotten in yet but I think it's important to explain why you'd pick DMU.

Interviewing here this Thursday 9/20, I would appreciate any advice from any accepted students beyond the information listed above! Just PM me or reply to this post, any help is greatly appreciated!

Will this school be receptive to phone calls to ask for later interview dates? October is all I see and its packed for me already.

Will this school be receptive to phone calls to ask for later interview dates? October is all I see and its packed for me already.
Yes. The admissions staff is awesome!

Thank you for your answer! I'm glad yours went well~

Joining 9/6 accepted crew!

cGPA 3.51 sGPA 3.08 MCAT 508. I was veeeery surprised to say the least.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to everyone that was accepted!!

I received an II this morning (complete 7/18) and was wondering what the uber/lyft situation in Des Moines is like? can I call one from the airport? I'm trying to figure out if I need to rent a car or not.

Congratulations to everyone that was accepted!!

I received an II this morning (complete 7/18) and was wondering what the uber/lyft situation in Des Moines is like? can I call one from the airport? I'm trying to figure out if I need to rent a car or not.
You can get an Uber/Lyft from the airport. A lot of times there will be a few waiting

Joining the ACCEPTED crew! So happy! Very surprised considering my low stats and my interview lasted only a few minutes. I read here that some lasted 45+ minutes so that made me nervous.
When was your interview?

II today. On my way home from another interview right now so I'll schedule when I get home. Congrats to those accepted!

after acceptance, are we supposed to do anything with the outstanding requirements confirmation?

after acceptance, are we supposed to do anything with the outstanding requirements confirmation?
Congrats on your acceptance! When did you interview if I may ask. Also, I don't believe so. If you want to hold your seat its 750$ before Dec. 1st I believe and another 750$ by May 1st. Other than payments I don't believe you have to do anything else after acceptance.

Congrats on your acceptance! When did you interview if I may ask. Also, I don't believe so. If you want to hold your seat its 750$ before Dec. 1st I believe and another 750$ by May 1st. Other than payments I don't believe you have to do anything else after acceptance.

Thanks. I interviewed 8/31.

Joining the ACCEPTED crew! So happy! Very surprised considering my low stats and my interview lasted only a few minutes. I read here that some lasted 45+ minutes so that made me nervous.
Hi do you mind sharing your stats with me, I’ve applied just waiting to hear back? Thanks!