2018-2019 Des Moines University (DMU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how/when we’ll find out if we qualified for scholarships and grants? They said on the interview day that it’s automatic. Do we have to file FAFSA first?
No FAFSA. It's through the application process. You should find out after you get accepted. Not sure when. I won't get money lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

new mcat scores recently and complete since beginning of august. Silence

I interviewed last week on 9/20 and thought the interview went as previously described in this forum. I enjoyed the whole interview day and especially the presentation by the dean of the college, Dr. Ripley. I was very surprised to hear yesterday from a friend and current third year at DMU that Dr. Ripley has announced that he will be stepping down from his current position and looking for opportunities to return to practicing family medicine. Can anyone else speak to this situation? Should current applicants be concerned in anyway with the number of deans that this program has gone through in the past few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last week on 9/20 and thought the interview went as previously described in this forum. I enjoyed the whole interview day and especially the presentation by the dean of the college, Dr. Ripley. I was very surprised to hear yesterday from a friend and current third year at DMU that Dr. Ripley has announced that he will be stepping down from his current position and looking for opportunities to return to practicing family medicine. Can anyone else speak to this situation? Should current applicants be concerned in anyway with the number of deans that this program has gone through in the past few years?
Honestly no. The first dean was a bad hire but Dr. Ripley is an awesome guy, who wanted to get back into practicing medicine. Not everybody is as happy in academics as treating patients. Everyone loved Dr. Ripley and he will be missed.

In terms of being worried, there has really only been 1-2 things that changed in the two years we've been here. For the most part, they know what things work and what things don't and aren't gonna go doing anything radical to change it. Our average board scores for this past class was 590 on COMLEX (80th percentile), so the changes obviously didn't mess up their education. My class is super high achieving too so it won't mess up ours either.

Basically, the first hire shouldn't have happened, and Dr. Ripley was the interim dean during the search. I think he was fine doing the job in that capacity, and didn't enjoy it in the full capacity. Now, the powers that be realize they need to get this next one right, So I'm betting they take their time with this one.

If anyone knows more than me, or is less lassez-faire than I am, feel free to chime in

tldr; first hire was bad, Dr. Ripley was awesome but likes practicing medicine (who can blame him), Not much has changed for current second years over the 'turmoil' regardless, and board scores, etc are still high. They'll hire a good one and no need to worry just to worry

Last edited:
Yo, DMU, if you don't want me, please reject me. Don't give me the silent treatment.
-Thanks.

Reactions: 7 users
Based on recent post, 9/10 interviewers should be hearing back any day now. :)

Accepted a few minutes ago :)

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary login invite received 9/24/18

Currently:
DMU will be verifying receipt of all requirements. Please allow up to two weeks for a review. When the initial review is marked as received, this list will reflect any additional requirements.

Haven't seen any recent posts about new IIs. I'm curious as to the future available dates, for my own planning.

I'll post again if/when I get one. This is one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 9/10 interview! So excited, this school was gorgeous in every sense!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

Tx resident,
Just wanting to make sure I cover all my basis when applying broadly.

Is it too late to add to this school?
506 MCAT, 3.5gpa (~65LM)
2 LOR from professors, 1 undergrad, 1 grad)
1 LOR from MD

Should I add this school?

Hey everyone,

Tx resident,

506 MCAT, 3.5gpa (~65LM)
1 LOR from MD

If you’d really consider going here, I’d say yes. I applied pretty late (I believe October) with similar stats back in the day and got a November interview date. Although things may have changed slightly with competitiveness, I’d still give it a shot.

Hey everyone,

Tx resident,

506 MCAT, 3.5gpa (~65LM)
1 LOR from MD

Just like the previous poster, I think you have a good shot at this school considering your stats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear :/ how did you feel after the interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I felt that it wasn't a good match between DMU and me since I did not really fit the mission. I have a pretty strong research background and was questioned about that during the interview so I had a feeling I probably wouldn't get in.

Honestly no. The first dean was a bad hire but Dr. Ripley is an awesome guy, who wanted to get back into practicing medicine. Not everybody is as happy in academics as treating patients. Everyone loved Dr. Ripley and he will be missed.

In terms of being worried, there has really only been 1-2 things that changed in the two years we've been here. For the most part, they know what things work and what things don't and aren't gonna go doing anything radical to change it. Our average board scores for this past class was 590 on COMLEX (80th percentile), so the changes obviously didn't mess up their education. My class is super high achieving too so it won't mess up ours either.

Basically, the first hire shouldn't have happened, and Dr. Ripley was the interim dean during the search. I think he was fine doing the job in that capacity, and didn't enjoy it in the full capacity. Now, the powers that be realize they need to get this next one right, So I'm betting they take their time with this one.

If anyone knows more than me, or is less lassez-faire than I am, feel free to chime in

tldr; first hire was bad, Dr. Ripley was awesome but likes practicing medicine (who can blame him), Not much has changed for current second years over the 'turmoil' regardless, and board scores, etc are still high. They'll hire a good one and no need to worry just to worry

Upperclassman here who is no longer on campus but agreed with everything said. The dean before Dr. Ripley was not a good fit for DMU, to say the least, and the majority of students were extremely happy he was let go. I worked a lot with Dr. Ripley while I was still in DSM and i wont lie this was certainly a loss for us. He was a great dean, listened to what students wanted, and advocated on our behalf. That being said, anyone who knew him knew his passion was for patient care and family med and it wasn't entirely surprising that he wasn't happy in a primarily administrative role.

Students are already in talks with administration to be a part of the search for the new dean. While no one likes that we've had multiple deans in such a short time, it really hasn't had a huge effect on our education. Were still getting good board scores, getting new clinical rotation spots every year (including big cities like chicago and milwaukee), and our fourth years are still matching at great residencies. I don't expect it to have a huge effect on future students either.

Hey guys, I interviewed 9/7/18 and I was accepted 9/26/18! I'm a TX resident. MCAT 510, 3.61 science GPA, 3.84 non-science GPA.

Upperclassman here who is no longer on campus but agreed with everything said. The dean before Dr. Ripley was not a good fit for DMU, to say the least, and the majority of students were extremely happy he was let go. I worked a lot with Dr. Ripley while I was still in DSM and i wont lie this was certainly a loss for us. He was a great dean, listened to what students wanted, and advocated on our behalf. That being said, anyone who knew him knew his passion was for patient care and family med and it wasn't entirely surprising that he wasn't happy in a primarily administrative role.

Students are already in talks with administration to be a part of the search for the new dean. While no one likes that we've had multiple deans in such a short time, it really hasn't had a huge effect on our education. Were still getting good board scores, getting new clinical rotation spots every year (including big cities like chicago and milwaukee), and our fourth years are still matching at great residencies. I don't expect it to have a huge effect on future students either.
Yes, but they are changing the curriculum for 2019 to be a block schedule. Those two variables could change things in the future, doubt it, but you never know.

Went in and looked at my secondary to see if there was a hold up on an interview (I was waitlisted last year and was verified 8/2) and some of my LORs say accepted while others say requested and a few say confirmed... I have no idea what the difference is or if this is causing an issue. I contacted one writer to see if they asked her additional qs besides what ACCOMAS did and they didn't so..... Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, but they are changing the curriculum for 2019 to be a block schedule. Those two variables could change things in the future, doubt it, but you never know.

Honestly blocks would be better. Second semester first year is a gauntlet with exams 2-3 times a week

there is a curriculum committee made up of several professors that with the input of the dean, students, etc makes those decisions. those changes are years in the making and if theyve decided to do that having a new dean wont change it.

This may be a dumb question but does DMU have White Coat Ceremony? I’ve heard conflicting answers. I read that the dean that was fired removed it; but I’m not sure if it was brought back after the firing.
The dean that left wanted to do it in between didactic and clinical years. So there's one year that will do it after this year to start their clinical years. Otherwise it seems to have returned for the first years, as they just had theirs this weekend.

The dean that left wanted to do it in between didactic and clinical years. So there's one year that will do it after this year to start their clinical years. Otherwise it seems to have returned for the first years, as they just had theirs this weekend.

And many in the class are not happy with the decision of the previous dean, having been vocal about it with administration. So I wouldn't expect the white coat ceremony to be done anywhere but first year for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 users
And many in the class are not happy with the decision of the previous dean, having been vocal about it with administration. So I wouldn't expect the white coat ceremony to be done anywhere but first year for the foreseeable future.
Yup. I have a lot of friends in that class. No one seemed to like the dean, and they got ripped off with that imo

Yup. I have a lot of friends in that class. No one seemed to like the dean, and they got ripped off with that imo

Can you explain why students felt ripped off? What changes did the previous dean make? Since you’re a current grad student there, why is there a high turnover rate of professors/lecturers? I don’t know how this could affect future board scores for both COMLEX and USMLE.

Can you explain why students felt ripped off? What changes did the previous dean make? Since you’re a current grad student there, why is there a high turnover rate of professors/lecturers? I don’t know how this could affect future board scores for both COMLEX and USMLE.

I think the white coat thing wasn't known when they applied, though not sure it would have mattered. You'd have to ask them specifically. There's a few on this thread I'm sure they can answer better.

There's no high turnover rate of professors/lecturers. Don't know where you heard that. None have left in my year that I have been here. We got a new phys prof. and anatomy prof. who are both pretty awesome. Before that I think our newest basic science faculty was hired 4 or 5 years ago. Can't speak to clinical faculty. But in general, it's just the Dean, but it sounds like everything is find with curriculum and what not. Dr. Franklin (president) assured us there would be no impact to education.

Every student probably sees it a different way from the last, but most white coat ceremonies happen the first year and to a lot of matriculating students, it's a big milestone, has symbolic meaning, etc. Some students couldn't care less if/when we have a ceremony, some are incredibly disappointed we didn't have one last year, and a lot are in between.

The previous dean made some changes that were not well received, including combining classes, removing some humanities, and other things. Long story short, he wasn't a great fit.

If anything, there's a very low turnover rate of professors at DMU. As @Astharia alluded to, most have been there quite a while. The only actual professors in the DO program that I have seen leave did so because retirement is better than working. It's not uncommon for faculty to have been at DMU for well over a decade, and some even 20+ years.

Regardless, several of our faculty are board writers and it's pretty common to hear (what seem to be) pretty honest observations regarding what is "board relevant" in each course.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted!!! Interviewed 9/14

Congrats!!! Did you hear back through email? I interviewed the same day and am dreading this wait!

Thank you! I wonder if we met that day.

To answer your question, DMU emailed me this morning (pacific time) :)

Complete email, August 3rd.
Application placed on hold, Sept 23rd. :(

What has this historically meant for applicants? I've tried searching for information on their website, and found little on sdn. Kinda bummed about this one because its such a great school and near my home!

Complete email, August 3rd.
Application placed on hold, Sept 23rd. :(

What has this historically meant for applicants? I've tried searching for information on their website, and found little on sdn. Kinda bummed about this one because its such a great school and near my home!
be patient. its a long process and its too exhausting to worry about it. There have been instances of people getting IIs and accepted after pre-interview holds, and there have been the other side of the coin as well. Wish I could give ya more info but there really isn't a predictable formula to it.

^yep. Never had an issue

source:bored second year delaying studying

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview!! Anyone know the post interview acceptance rate?

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite today!!!
Super pumped!

For those of you getting interviews when did you get the complete email?

3449 Applications
666 Total Interviews
541 Total Accepted = 81.23% Total Post II Accept Rate
220 Matriculants
Source? Almost positive they interview more than that... Around 1000