2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my acceptance today! Hopefully my spot and my scholarship will go to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got this yesterday...

"Good evening. We hope this email finds you well. We are writing to confirm if you would like to remain on the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Wait List. As we hope to have movement in the coming weeks, this will help us to reach out to interested applicants in a more efficient manner. Unfortunately, we are not able to let you know your position on the Wait List at this time.

We ask that you please respond to this email, [email protected], indicating if you would like to be withdrawn from consideration at this time. If you wish to remain on the list, you do not need to do anything further and we appreciate your continued patience throughout this process.

We also would like to remind you that if you have already selected the ‘Commit to Enroll’ option for another medical school you should withdraw your application from further consideration. The ‘Commit to Enroll” option indicates that you have already committed to attending another school and you should have withdrawn all other acceptances and/or wait list positions.

Should you have any questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us."

Reactions: 2 users
Got this yesterday...

"Good evening. We hope this email finds you well. We are writing to confirm if you would like to remain on the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Wait List. As we hope to have movement in the coming weeks, this will help us to reach out to interested applicants in a more efficient manner. Unfortunately, we are not able to let you know your position on the Wait List at this time.

We ask that you please respond to this email, [email protected], indicating if you would like to be withdrawn from consideration at this time. If you wish to remain on the list, you do not need to do anything further and we appreciate your continued patience throughout this process.

We also would like to remind you that if you have already selected the ‘Commit to Enroll’ option for another medical school you should withdraw your application from further consideration. The ‘Commit to Enroll” option indicates that you have already committed to attending another school and you should have withdrawn all other acceptances and/or wait list positions.

Should you have any questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us."
Got it also. So we don’t reply if we want to remain on the waitlist - right?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I’ve seen that some people have gotten the email for their graduate certificate program. If you’ve gotten it, can you comment if you are also waitlisted? I’m curious to know bc Ive been waitlisted since October and haven’t gotten that email... would this mean I have a better chance of being pulled off the waitlist?

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday, good luck to all still waiting!

So I’ve seen that some people have gotten the email for their graduate certificate program. If you’ve gotten it, can you comment if you are also waitlisted? I’m curious to know bc Ive been waitlisted since October and haven’t gotten that email... would this mean I have a better chance of being pulled off the waitlist?
Im wondering the same thing. I’ve been on the waitlist since February but havnt gotten the email either.

Im wondering the same thing. I’ve been on the waitlist since February but havnt gotten the email either.

I'm not sure what the protocol is there, but I haven't heard of graduate certificate program offers based upon your place on the waiting list.

Has anyone contacted or heard from admissions of when waitlisted students will hear back regarding a decision?

Getting on here to answer a few questions because I’m super neurotic and went and found out the answers.

For those wondering, the email sent about the graduate certificate program was only sent to those rejected and not those waitlisted.

In terms of waitlist, I called today and was told four things. First, there has been no waitlist movement as of yet. Second, waitlist movement should begin in the next week or two (quoting admissions exactly with this). Third, when waitlist pulls begin, we will get an email notifying this has started. Fourth, they mentioned waitlist movement could continue for quite a while since the deadline for students to notify of planned attendance is June 15th.

Hope this helps some of you who were sitting in the dark like me. Hang in there ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Getting on here to answer a few questions because I’m super neurotic and went and found out the answers.

For those wondering, the email sent about the graduate certificate program was only sent to those rejected and not those waitlisted.

In terms of waitlist, I called today and was told four things. First, there has been no waitlist movement as of yet. Second, waitlist movement should begin in the next week or two (quoting admissions exactly with this). Third, when waitlist pulls begin, we will get an email notifying this has started. Fourth, they mentioned waitlist movement could continue for quite a while since the deadline for students to notify of planned attendance is June 15th.

Hope this helps some of you who were sitting in the dark like me. Hang in there ;)

THANK YOU!

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlist movement is heaviest after the decision date

Some of you gotta be more careful when it comes to posting online. Found a reddit account of a FIU MD student with a whole history of racist and sexist comments about a week ago and sent a report about that to the dean. Got a reply back earlier today thanking me for the report and He said the student had been identified and actions will be taken soon.

Some of you gotta be more careful when it comes to posting online. Found a reddit account of a FIU MD student with a whole history of racist and sexist comments about a week ago and sent a report about that to the dean. Got a reply back earlier today thanking me for the report and He said the student had been identified and actions will be taken soon.
I’m definitely not a supporter of that students actions, but I do not think that was the most ethical way to go about handling the situation. You should have, at the very least, contacted that student prior to you reporting him. You should have communicated your concern with the student and seen what they had to say. Ultimately, if you still felt like telling on him was the right move, that student deserved to know that you were reporting them to the dean. You already had the proof, it’s not like he/she could just delete it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also if you look on MSAR, it says that FIU has 200-250 waitlist positions per year and the number of acceptance offers to the waitlist is 25. Take this with a grain of salt, because last year they took a good amount and the year prior they took none. May the odds be ever in your favor!

I don't understand why they're saying there's no waitlist movement when many people on this forum have dropped acceptances. Doesn't that mean there are spots available? Has anyone asked the admissions office about this?

I don't understand why they're saying there's no waitlist movement when many people on this forum have dropped acceptances. Doesn't that mean there are spots available? Has anyone asked the admissions office about this?

Many schools accept 2-3x their class size, so they might still have a full class despite the withdrawals and not have to go into the waitlist yet.

Waitlist spots will probably not open up

This is such an amazing school, accepting only the best of best students

Amazing students here, definitely all strong, academically talented, immaculate, and would never be racist, misogynistic or anything

Last edited:
Waitlist spots will open up

Look at all the past negative comments about the school

No one will go here unless they have no other option

I may be n=1, but I would seriously kill for a chance to go to this school. I would also say that I would attend here over other Florida programs due to the area being so diverse, their commitment to social accountability, and their involvement with the community. Every school is going to have a few bad apples.

I hate seeing HWCOM get dragged like this. I don't know if you've met the faculty, deans, or students; but they are some of the most amazing people.

I may be n=1, but I would seriously kill for a chance to go to this school. I would also say that I would attend here over other Florida programs due to the area being so diverse, their commitment to social accountability, and their involvement with the community. Every school is going to have a few bad apples.

I hate seeing HWCOM get dragged like this. I don't know if you've met the faculty, deans, or students; but they are some of the most amazing people.
I agree with this. I was accepted to HWCOM and the only reason I turned it down was because of the lack of financial aid before the deadline. I loved this school way more than I thought I would because they really seemed to care and it is such a diverse place to train. The rumors from earlier in the year about people not passing or whatever did not bother me in the least. There will almost always be people stuck in this situation at any medical school. The quality of this school is still great!

Amazing students here, definitely all strong, academically talented, immaculate, and would never be racist, misogynistic or anything
For someone who supposedly got accepted elsewhere last year, you have a lot of negative things to say about this school. Don’t you have anything better to do?

Reactions: 3 users

I think someone should report you and maybe medical schools can get your identification so actions can be done. You’re a hypocrite reporting that guy on reddit and then bad mouthing schools and people.

I think we are all entitled to share our opinions and should respect each other even if we disagree. We’re not here here to bash each other’s perspectives but to share information and be supportive.

On a different note, there seems to be generalized delay in many WL due to the new rules by AAMC (Per Waitlist Support Threat). Let’s not despair just yet!

I think we are all entitled to share our opinions and should respect each other even if we disagree. We’re not here here to bash each other’s perspectives but to share information and be supportive.

On a different note, there seems to be generalized delay in many WL due to the new rules by AAMC (Per Waitlist Support Threat). Let’s not despair just yet!
lol that’s the “correct” answer

Current medical student here posting through a different account since I don't use one.

I definitely do not condone the previous school bashing-post. If you have a problem with a certain individual at this school, which it seems like you do, there is no reason to bash the entire school because of that.

That being said, me, along with several others, do know about someone who I think is the same individual you reported a while ago. A couple months back, a few people noticed that a Reddit account that posted often in the FIU and medical school subreddits had a history of posts that were extremely misogynistic and racist. We believed these posts and comments to be beyond inappropriate, as there were many comments condoning rape, as well as violence, hatred, and prejudice against certain races. Many of the posts had identifying information, and it was clear that the student went to HWCOM, but weren't able to identify him for a while until one sat next to someone in our class who was posting from the exact same Reddit account during class. Being a personal victim in the past of several actions that this student has condoned through his online comments, I decided to report the incident immediately through the school's internal reporting system. A few other students also followed within the next few days, although none of us have heard back from any faculty yet about the incident.

Does anyone know of any affordable apartments for rent around FIU? Preferably studio/one bedroom apartments.

Is there a facebook group by any chance?

Just got an e-mail regarding graduate certificate although I am still on the waitlist. Does this mean rejection? Wording was quite odd, "We are writing to you because you were waitlisted at the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine" not sure if I'm neurotic and over-analyzing, but seems as though they are trying to see who on the waitlist would be willing to take an option to do a graduate program first for a 2020 acceptance as opposed to just sitting. Anyone else get this?

Just got an e-mail regarding graduate certificate although I am still on the waitlist. Does this mean rejection? Wording was quite odd, "We are writing to you because you were waitlisted at the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine" not sure if I'm neurotic and over-analyzing, but seems as though they are trying to see who on the waitlist would be willing to take an option to do a graduate program first for a 2020 acceptance as opposed to just sitting. Anyone else get this?

I think your over thinking things! Haha I had the same thought though until I read this section. “Please note that application to this graduate certificate program will in no way jeopardize your chances of being accepted to the MD program. They are two completely separate processes. The waitlist for the MD program is maintained up until matriculation of the class in the first week in August.” I’m fairly certain I’m going to apply to this. What are y’all thoughts on the program? A guaranteed acceptance sounds pretty good to me.

NEW UPDATE: Called admissions and got more info than ever before. So basically, because of new AAMC traffic rules, HWCOM has to wait until they hit a specific number of responses (acceptances, drops, etc) before they can begin pulling from the waitlist. The girl that I talked to said she can't say specifically what number they're at or the number they need but said they are "very close" to that number and therefore to being able to start pulling. Essentially, they would be pulling right now, but can't because of a rule. She said she is pretty confident they'll hit it this week or next. She restated that the June 15th date is when I guess HWCOM accepted students need to make a decision by. Thankfully, they are very close to the number they need, so we most likely won't have to wait until then. Keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. I got that email about the graduate certificate program as well. I don't think its much to worry about in terms of it affecting your acceptance at all. I would, though, highly recommend finding and contacting people who have done the program before going into it. You can also PM me about it since I have contacted people in it and asked them about their experiences.

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 6 users
NEW UPDATE: Called admissions and got more info than ever before. So basically, because of new AAMC traffic rules, HWCOM has to wait until they hit a specific number of responses (acceptances, drops, etc) before they can begin pulling from the waitlist. The girl that I talked to said she can't say specifically what number they're at or the number they need but said they are "very close" to that number and therefore to being able to start pulling. Essentially, they would be pulling right now, but can't because of a rule. She said she is pretty confident they'll hit it this week or next. She restated that the June 15th date is when I guess HWCOM accepted students need to make a decision by. Thankfully, they are very close to the number they need, so we most likely won't have to wait until then. Keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. I got that email about the graduate certificate program as well. I don't think its much to worry about in terms of it affecting your acceptance at all. I would, though, highly recommend finding and contacting people who have done the program before going into it. You can also PM me about it since I have contacted people in it and asked them about their experiences.

Best of luck :)

Would you mind sharing what past students of the certificate program have said of their experience?

Would you mind sharing what past students of the certificate program have said of their experience?
PM me and I would be more than happy to share. This is based on personal stories and I don’t want to broadcast them even if it is anonymous.

UPDATE: Admissions committee just had a meeting today and they started looking at the waitlist. They restated that the waitlist is unranked. They will send an email when movement begins. Fingers crossed for next week!

UPDATE: Admissions committee just had a meeting today and they started looking at the waitlist. They restated that the waitlist is unranked. They will send an email when movement begins. Fingers crossed for next week!
A friend of mine got accepted off of the waitlist earlier this week FYI

A friend of mine got accepted off of the waitlist earlier this week FYI
WHATTTTT?! Are you sure? I just spoke to admissions and they said they just started looking through the waitlist today. Also, they said they would email when movement began.

WHATTTTT?! Are you sure? I just spoke to admissions and they said they just started looking through the waitlist today. Also, they said they would email when movement began.
can also confirm, someone was called earlier this week and was the only person i’ve known to get off the WL so far

I hope he/she is the same person. Lol i'm praying my friend gets in and off the WL!!
can also confirm, someone was called earlier this week and was the only person i’ve known to get off the WL so far

I’m literally floored :eek: Do you think admissions is giving bad info then??
if there’s anything i’ve learned from this cycle, it’s the fact that it’s very difficult for adcoms to be transparent and give us all the answers we want. especially with the new traffic rules messing up everyone’s timelines for commitment and making it less clear of who’s entering the class & how many spots remain, i would take anything they say with a grain of salt cause they themselves are coming across new obstacles this cycle. does that negate my constant worrying/desire of wanting more info? not really but it helps me stay more realistic in understanding it’s still fair game for WL’ed students and that it won’t really be over until they tell us/orientation.

Called admissions today, they are pulling people off the waitlist. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Called admissions today, they are pulling people off the waitlist. Good luck to you all!

Just called admissions and confirmed this. They have been pulling off the waitlist for a week now.

When accepted, were expected to get a phone call, email, and update on the portal.

Good luck everyone!

Is the cost of attendance on MyFIU accurate? It's much cheaper than the cost of attendance in my email but I haven't received any news about scholarships. I'm assuming they are still updating the page?