2018-2019 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
youll get in. be pt[/QUOTO

I hope so. I worked very hard so far. I don't know if i have any chance this year. It is the end of March now but still on waiting list on four schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Current M4 here who will be graduating from FIU HWCOM in a month. This is probably too late in the application process but I made an account just to address this attrition rate business I keep reading on this thread.

I did the math for my class. We started with 123 students at the beginning of M1 back in 2015. Out of those same 123 students, 16 students were either held back or quit over the past 4 years. That makes the four-year year graduation rate for our class of 2019 at 87%, making the drop out/repeat rate at 13% over the past FOUR years.

If you look up the AAMC 2018 report on attrition rates, the average graduation rate for 4-year MD-only programs is only about 82%, so you can conclude the average 4-year failure/repeat rate of MD programs is about 18%. We are well below that average. Classes before me had similar graduation rates from what I hear, however, I have not calculated the exact rates of course. So, I'm not sure where everyone is getting the "average" failure/ repeat rate of around 20% from.
I'm not sure which stats you're talking about and what their criteria are, but I don't believe the bolded above is true. I believe the most common reason people don't graduate in 4 years is because they take a research year. If research years (or any other reason for extending that isn't failure) is included in that 18% than it isn't a failure rate and means nothing to compare it to what you're reporting for your class' fail rate, 13%. Regardless, thank you for sharing your opinion on the school and the direction it's headed!

I'm not sure which stats you're talking about and what their criteria are, but I don't believe the bolded above is true. I believe the most common reason people don't graduate in 4 years is because they take a research year. If research years (or any other reason for extending that isn't failure) is included in that 18% than it isn't a failure rate and means nothing to compare it to what you're reporting for your class' fail rate, 13%. Regardless, thank you for sharing your opinion on the school and the direction it's headed!

Ah you make a valid point. We had two people take a research year so then our percentage of those not graduating in 4 years is more like 18/123, so 14.6%.

Yes, I agree it is difficult to compare these stats with other schools because of everyone having different situations with research and such. I thought itd be helpful to see it in a different way. Additionally, it was difficult for me to calculate our first year attrition rate because I could not remember when each of those classmates left or repeated a year. Four years does a number on your memory! Either way taking research into account I strongly do not believe we are worse than the average like everyone indicates. We are either at it or below.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently we will not get final award letters until after 4/30 via MYFIU?

"If you are selected to receive the HWCOM Graduate Need Grant, you will be notified in your finalized award package online in MYFIU after April 30, 2019."

Oh Lord. Is this standard?

So apparently we will not get final award letters until after 4/30 via MYFIU?

"If you are selected to receive the HWCOM Graduate Need Grant, you will be notified in your finalized award package online in MYFIU after April 30, 2019."

Oh Lord. Is this standard?

Literally waiting on financial info to pick between these two schools because everything else is pretty much same, with certain pros/cons on both side with FIU having the higher tuition. How can they hold back into that helps us decide? Not really logical

Reactions: 1 users
Literally waiting on financial info to pick between these two schools because everything else is pretty much same, with certain pros/cons on both side with FIU having the higher tuition. How can they hold back into that helps us decide? Not really logical
My sentiments exactly

Yup, very frustrating

If this is the case, I will be withdrawing and letting them know that's why. Maybe they'll change it in the future if it affects enough people

Reactions: 3 users
How true do you all think it is that 93% of students receive aid from them? I’m really banking on something because I’m freaking out about OOS tuition but did not meet a single OOS student during my interview that received aid from them.

If this is the case, I will be withdrawing and letting them know that's why. Maybe they'll change it in the future if it affects enough people

Same here.

How true do you all think it is that 93% of students receive aid from them? I’m really banking on something because I’m freaking out about OOS tuition but did not meet a single OOS student during my interview that received aid from them.

By aid, it means anyone receiving loans or scholarships.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah and they collect our freakin $100 deposit by April 30th...small price but still annoying af (doesn’t seem to follow their “professionalism” guidelines)

Just got the call I got a scholarship! So exciting!

Members don't see this ad :)
In the event someone is accepted off the waitlist, do you think they are still eligible for scholarships?

Congrats! When did you submit application for the scholarship? That’s awesome!
I didn't submit anything. I was accepted on Tuesday of this past week and randomly got the call about the scholarship on Friday

In the event someone is accepted off the waitlist, do you think they are still eligible for scholarships?
I heard an anecdote (n=1) that someone received a 25% scholarship off of the waitlist last year.

Anyone know anything about waitlist movement or when to expect it?
I believe a previous post stated the admissions office said there would be movement after April 30th to coincide with the new traffic rules.

It's a stressful time, hang in there!

I haven't gotten any financial aid information whereas every school has. I'm close to withdrawing my acceptance due to this simple fact.
I'm in the same boat. Been accepted here for almost 6 months now and haven't heard anything about financial aid.

Last edited:
Did anyone get accepted from wait list

For those that withdrew acceptances, did you call or send an email? And if it was an email, do you just email admissions?

I just received an from FIU inviting me to the Graduate certificate in molecular and biomedical science program. It is a two semester program that will result in an interview for FIU medical school in 2020 if I meet certain requirements.

I previously read an article that stated that some students that earned a certain GPA were granted automatic acceptance into FIU. Does anyone have more information about this? The webpage for the Graduate certificate does not outline this out right.

I just received an from FIU inviting me to the Graduate certificate in molecular and biomedical science program. It is a two semester program that will result in an interview for FIU medical school in 2020 if I meet certain requirements.

I previously read an article that stated that some students that earned a certain GPA were granted automatic acceptance into FIU. Does anyone have more information about this? The webpage for the Graduate certificate does not outline this out right.

A friend briefly mentioned what the guideline was. But the gist of it is right. You're granted an automatic acceptance if you maintain a certain GPA. If it is lower to a certain extent then you are given an interview but no guarantee of acceptance.

I received the same email about the graduate certificate and was wondering if anybody knew how many students they take/how many get accepted? How difficult is the course work? Is a 3.7 doable? Any info or opinions on the program would be great!

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

You are only eligible for the automatic acceptance if you were waitlisted by FIU in the previous cycle.

I received the same email about the graduate certificate and was wondering if anybody knew how many students they take/how many get accepted? How difficult is the course work? Is a 3.7 doable? Any info or opinions on the program would be great!

Certificate programme cost about $23k for one year. No loans available for that

Has anyone tried to contact financial aid office since they sent the email about getting awards after April 30th? I like this school but can't keep my acceptance without my information

Has anyone tried to contact financial aid office since they sent the email about getting awards after April 30th? I like this school but can't keep my acceptance without my information

I e-mailed them and expressed concerns about not having any financial information from them before the deadline, and they basically said that the committee is continually meeting before the April 30th deadline up until the last week of July to decide on merit, need, and diversity scholarships.

Not much to do except wait and hope you are one of the lucky people who get the information before April 30th, I suppose. Very disappointing.

Did anyone get accepted from wait list

Just withdrew my application! Good luck to the rest of you

Reactions: 2 users
Were you waitlisted?

Ill be withdrawing my acceptance and the scholarship i got. I hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else receive an acceptance early (like October) and still not hear anything about a scholarship?

Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a call for 25% scholarship

Just withdrew my acceptance. It is truly disappointing how they did not release financial aid information for all accepted students where all other programs have done just that.