Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Wibz

Pre-Medical
    Well I am sure hoping there is another round! I have the same thoughts though. The admissions page says they notify you whether you're accepted or not. I haven't been turned down yet, so...

2. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    In my mind, it seems like they would have notified those of us who didn't get interviewed in that first round if they knew they weren't going to do any more interviews. And apart from that, there were more than two days of interviews for ED last year.

3. seaturtle98

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    LSU Shreveport operates on a different timeline than the rest of the MD schools. They get started later, and tend to be a little slower getting things started. Hang in there!

4. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    The difference this year is that they already started. And they started really early. It's throwing me off.

5. seaturtle98

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A friend of mine got in last year regular decision and was notified in April. It’s a long cycle that’s just begun.

6. WannaBeDoctorDad

Pre-Medical
    It's concerning though to me that no one has answered the phone or responded to emails over there.

rbarlo2 likes this.
  7. WannaBeDoctorDad

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know when they start interviewing RD in-state people?

8. seaturtle98

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Website says October-March

WannaBeDoctorDad likes this.
  9. okopapa

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It look like the old secretary has been gone for a while now. I went to the office today and met the new one. Her name is Mrs. Sonya, today is her third day. I’m sure they will start rolling soon.

10. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone that applied ED been notified that they’ve been released from EDP yet?

11. WannaBeDoctorDad

Pre-Medical
    I wish there was a way to verify they received my app. I've called, emailed but no luck reaching a person. I know they are not doing RD interviews until October but it's strange to me that applicants can't reach admissions.

12. stack07

I haven't been released yet from EDP and haven't heard about an interview. Do y'all think there could be another round of interviews being offered this Tuesday?

13. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    I haven't heard from anyone about them interviewing on Tuesday but I hope they're gonna have another round of ED interviews. They had at least 4 different interview days last year for ED.

14. stack07

They had another round of interview invites go out this past Tuesday. Even last year, it seems the interview invitations went out on a Tuesday. I hope another round of invites go out too but that 10/1 deadline is right around the corner.

15. jx56wb

So anyone have any luck finding out if secondaries were received? My check still hasn't been deposited and I mailed on Aug 24th. I've called and left voicemails with no response.

16. WannaBeDoctorDad

Pre-Medical
    Same.

17. ExcitingPomelo6

I sent in my secondary+check on 8/3 and my check didn't get deposited until 8/20. But I never got any confirmation from them that they had received my secondary or anything which is pretty frustrating tbh

18. jx56wb

Dr. Kennedy returned my call today saying that they received my secondary and my check.

19. ExcitingPomelo6

Just got an email from them saying that they received my application along with this info: " In mid-October we will email the first batch of Invitations to Interview for regular admission. If you applied through Early Decision, you can expect a letter to be mailed by October 1."

Guess it'll be a bit more longer until they send out IIs for non-ED peeps

BeetsByDwigt likes this.
  20. WannaBeDoctorDad

Pre-Medical
    +1

21. Colonial Captain 311

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what does RD mean?

22. Colonial Captain 311

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OOS secondary email received 9/25

23. hd316

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Regular Decision

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. hd316

2+ Year Member

For those that received the application status email on 9/20, did it say, “At present, we are processing Letters of Recommendation. Please resist the temptation to inquire if we have received this or that letter because such calls further impede our processing.”?
    All of my letters of rec were submitted via AMCAS, so I imagine they were received.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  25. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, that's what my email says and I've had all my letters in to AMCAS since mid-July. They might have just waited to process RD letters and put that line in every email since it's the first they've sent out.

26. hd316

2+ Year Member

Ok cool, just making sure I wasn’t the only one.

27. mafiacat8

2+ Year Member

Hey all, I've been wanting to share my interview experience last year at LSU-S for you guys. I have some words of warning for this school. I ultimately was waitlisted and chose to attend another school and had a very negative opinion of the school.

First of all, this school is very old-fashioned and traditional. I am a woman and I am an ORM. This becomes important later on. The medical students were very nice, but I had some really poor experiences with Dr. Kennedy and Dr. Miriyala. On the interview day, Dr. Kennedy told me I didn't look happy to be there because I wasn't smiling the whole time (and I was told by other medical students that he tends to be creepy with the female students) and told me that I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the students at LSU-S because I didn't know how to shoot a gun/hunt like the rest of LSU-S, despite my passion and experiences in rural medicine. I felt like his comments towards me were gender-targeted (why do I have to smile the whole time--would you really say that to a man?) and I got the vibe that he was telling me that I don't and will not belong there (in which case why select me for an interview?). Perhaps he was doing an MMI, but I felt like his comments toward me went too far.

Dr. Miriyala is Indian as well, and the first thing she said to me was " Let me guess, your parents are doctors," to which I was shocked, because she profiled me the second I walked into the door and showed me that she didn't even take a second to read my file. When I told her that my parents were not doctors (my parents are bakers), she said its refreshing to see an Indian person who isn't forced into medicine by their parents. It was very rude and unprofessional. Secondly, she asked me what made me unique/what I would bring to LSU-S that is diverse. I started talking about how I was an older applicant, and how I have a lot various experience, and she cut me off saying that "nobody cares about your age in America, they only care about your age in India" to which I was also shocked-it actually seemed like she was taking my comments personally, like I personally triggered an issue for her. Throughout the rest of the MMI, she frequently cuts me off, when I try to talk about my other experiences post-graduate life. And then after I made my point she told me that they don't like students who have been out of schools for many years (but I had only been out of school for one year at that point in time). I really felt like she profiled and didn't want to hear what I said the moment she realized I looked mostly Indian.

After the interview, I really felt discriminated against, and I thought of reporting this to AAMC but thought against it because I wasn't sure if it would bite me later on. I just wanted to warn you all, if you are an ORM applying to this school, as well as being a woman. This school is very traditional and was not welcoming towards me.

I only told you guys a gist of what I experienced there. The reason why I told you this, and potentially risked my anonymity is that I don't anyone to attend this school without having all the facts (and of course choice is sometimes not even an option for us at this stage) and understanding of the environment at the school. You can PM me if you have any questions. Sorry to be a bummer guys.

#77 mafiacat8, Oct 6, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Colonial Captain 311 likes this.
  28. Alphastat

Pre-Medical
    II yesterday. They offered 8 Tuesdays between now and December.

GuacDoc18 likes this.
  29. Cell bio305

Congrats! When were you complete?

30. cubsrule4e

cubsrule4e The Company Misery Loves
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is laughable. Kennedy is the farthest thing from "discriminatory." Perhaps you misinterpreted his style/approach. "Creepy" with female med students?" Give me a break. My sense is that this poster experienced something that offended her and is trying to take it out on them by bashing the school. Nothing but positive experiences for me and years worth of classes, including minorities, before and after me at Shreveport. One of the most underrated med schools around.

31. GuacDoc18

Pre-Medical
    Are you in state or out of state? stats?

32. Alphastat

Pre-Medical
    IS, 517, 4.0

Not really sure. I mailed my app in late August but did not hear anything until I got a file complete email on Sept. 20th.

33. tyman005

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else get a II this week?

34. southerncoug

Has anyone gotten an II recently? Haven't heard anything from the school since the 9/20 email..

35. GuacDoc18

Pre-Medical
    Nope, still waiting. This thread has been pretty quiet as well as the school in general. Hoping there are still more IIs to come.

tyman005 likes this.
  36. red9719

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone heard anything from the last two weeks interview?

37. kmm2009

Nothing... I'm thinking we'll get something in the mail soon, considering we were told the committee met last thursday.

red9719 likes this.
  38. red9719

Pre-Medical
    Hopefully something soon

JohnnyThePriest likes this.
  39. Saltyroom

Accepted today via mail!

40. doctorwannabe5000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know when they are meeting next?

41. red9719

Pre-Medical
    Those who were accepted. What were your stats?

42. doctorwannabe5000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Got a letter Monday (yesterday)! Accepted! Interviewed Nov. 13th! IS re-applicant. PM me if you wanna know stats or other details!

43. Colonial Captain 311

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Has any OS applicants been interview and/or accepted?

44. GuacDoc18

Pre-Medical
    I haven't heard back at all...

45. BeetsByDwigt

Has anyone been offered interviews here lately? I submitted much secondary end of September and had to call a few weeks ago to verify they had all my info. Haven’t received any emails since my primary was sent in.

46. tyman005

Pre-Medical

Based on my experience the last few years, it seems like they send out one batch of invites in late September-early October and then send out a second batch of invites in late December-early January.

Also I received a status update email today. Has anyone else received a similar email?

47. Flower_rain

Submitted my secondary application Sept 20th and got the complete email today....

48. GuacDoc18

Pre-Medical
    +1 submitted a couple weeks earlier.

49. JohnnyThePriest

I am too and got the complete email today.

50. Takeshiwarrior

Sent in my secondary in late Sept, got their complete email yesterday too. I’m OOS, not sure if I have a chance. :/