2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I checked with admissions and the Commit to Enroll deadline is 30 days before matriculation.

I’m still waiting to hear back from this school, but the deadline is today from another school I was accepted to. If I commit to Enroll at the other school, does this mean that I’m withdrawing from IU?

I’m still waiting to hear back from this school, but the deadline is today from another school I was accepted to. If I commit to Enroll at the other school, does this mean that I’m withdrawing from IU?

Yes, commit to enroll means you are committed and will withdraw from everywhere else. If you are set on going to IU if accepted, I would choose plan to enroll. But make sure you are following the other school’s policy.

Yes, commit to enroll means you are committed and will withdraw from everywhere else. If you are set on going to IU if accepted, I would choose plan to enroll. But make sure you are following the other school’s policy.

This is what it says on their website.
“Deadline for candidates to select only one institution to hold position for Fall 2019 per the AMCAS Traffic Rules. Candidates may remain on the Waitlist at other institutions during this time.”

I’m guessing this only means this is the deadline for the “Plan to Enroll”, right?

How do you withdraw your application from IU? Do I have to call or can it be done through email?

Does anyone have a hunch on how campus placement works for students accepted from the waitlist?

You get offered a specific seat, so you get whatever campus the person you are replacing had.
In other words, there is no choice. And that’s not just a hunch, it’s pretty explicitly stated on the alternate form

Reactions: 1 users
Do we know if we are ranked on the alternate list? and how many normally get off it?

Do we know if we are ranked on the alternate list? and how many normally get off it?
Im pretty sure we are ranked, someone mentioned before that about half got off of it in previous years. I hope its about the same this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the new traffic rules will affect when we hear about waitlist movement? I know in previous years it hasn't started to move until mid-June. Surely some people didn't "plan" or "commit to enroll" at IU on April 30, so they already know how many open spots they have available at this point in time. Or am I being too optimistic? lol I really just don't want to find roommates and sign a lease for my accepted school, only to have to back out of it and do it all over again if I end up getting off IU's waitlist :arghh:

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the new traffic rules will affect when we hear about waitlist movement? I know in previous years it hasn't started to move until mid-June. Surely some people didn't "plan" or "commit to enroll" at IU on April 30, so they already know how many open spots they have available at this point in time. Or am I being too optimistic? lol I really just don't want to find roommates and sign a lease for my accepted school, only to have to back out of it and do it all over again if I end up getting off IU's waitlist :arghh:
Use an extended stay hotel (700-800/month) to help you transition if you are hoping for waitlist movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously I’m thinking about all these same things! I already had to put down a deposit for an apartment for my other school cause all the places started filling up quickly (small town) and I can’t pay to move all my stuff twice AND break a lease... I feel like they should have a pretty good idea already on who’s going since planning to enroll already withdraws your other acceptances and the only difference with commit would be if people get off a waitlist (which is never known). So in my overly optimistic, perhaps delusional head, waitlist movement should start this month??? Lmao

Seriously I’m thinking about all these same things! I already had to put down a deposit for an apartment for my other school cause all the places started filling up quickly (small town) and I can’t pay to move all my stuff twice AND break a lease... I feel like they should have a pretty good idea already on who’s going since planning to enroll already withdraws your other acceptances and the only difference with commit would be if people get off a waitlist (which is never known). So in my overly optimistic, perhaps delusional head, waitlist movement should start this month??? Lmao
Plan to enroll and commit to enroll does not I repeat....does not withdraw your other acceptances. AAMC says you have to actually let each school know you are withdrawing. This whole year might just be a dumpster fire.

I'm in the exact same position! I have a couple other acceptances, but I narrowed it down to one and IU's waitlist. I would no question go to IU if I get in, so I'm struggling financially in terms of being able to put down a lease on an apartment on the other side of the country. I would only be able to pay for a lease at one place, and there's simply no way I could afford to break a lease especially in the area of the other med school. So I think I've decided that I just have to wait out till the end of the process. Hence, I'm busting my butt off right now at my gap year job to get my first primary authorship publication (spent nearly two years on this paper) accepted. The review process at the journal where my P.I. and I have submitted it at has been absolutely brutal, but I guess I'm learning and I'm optimistic that I can get it accepted and send it in as an update asap. R.I.P. any plans I had for a summer vacation before med school tho lol.

Anyone else working on their app for next year just in case? :hungover:

Has anyone tried calling to see if they would tell you your ranking on the waitlist?

I'm in the exact same position! I have a couple other acceptances, but I narrowed it down to one and IU's waitlist. I would no question go to IU if I get in, so I'm struggling financially in terms of being able to put down a lease on an apartment on the other side of the country. I would only be able to pay for a lease at one place, and there's simply no way I could afford to break a lease especially in the area of the other med school. So I think I've decided that I just have to wait out till the end of the process. Hence, I'm busting my butt off right now at my gap year job to get my first primary authorship publication (spent nearly two years on this paper) accepted. The review process at the journal where my P.I. and I have submitted it at has been absolutely brutal, but I guess I'm learning and I'm optimistic that I can get it accepted and send it in as an update asap. R.I.P. any plans I had for a summer vacation before med school tho lol.

yoooo I'm doing the same! I finished my research project 2 years ago and it's been rejected from 2 journals so far lol about to submit it to my third journal tomorrow. Honestly if this one doesn't work out I'm ready to cut my losses and just enjoy the last summer I have left. publication shmublication, amirite?

Has anyone tried calling to see if they would tell you your ranking on the waitlist?

Also, this isn't a bad idea. I just tried to call but went straight to voicemail? Maybe they blocked me

Admissions doesn’t have a rank list. They Re-visit and discusss applicants as spots open up

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know if you receive a dual degree email whether you are accepted or not? I had selected my interest in one of the combined programs listed on the applicant portal a while back and just now got an email.

Finally got an updated portal with my R. Congratulations to everyone!

Hey!

Does anyone who has already been accepted and is on the class FB group know if there are a number of people on the group who are current students? Or is the group mainly newly accepted people?

Should we have a car for our first year? Also, when should I start looking for an apartment? I'll be at the Indy campus
You should start looking now, it’s very expensive to live downtown. (I lived downtown Indy this past year) but there are affordable places if you start your search early!

Hey!

Does anyone who has already been accepted and is on the class FB group know if there are a number of people on the group who are current students? Or is the group mainly newly accepted people?
Maininly new acceptances, but def has current students In it as well. Posting as a new acceptance who knows current students in the FB group

Do you think a car is necessary? I went to undergrad very close to my hometown, so a lot of this is new to me lol

There are places to live downtown within walking distance but the closest ones are pretty much all filled with undergrads and aren't well maintained. It may be more cost-effective to live a bit outside of downtown and drive to campus. Apartments are generally very expensive downtown and the ones closer to campus are notorious for price-gouging because they know students will live there. I regret living within walking distance during grad school down there.

Does IUSM offer in-state tuition status after one year of school for OOS students?

Does IUSM offer in-state tuition status after one year of school for OOS students?

I spoke to someone in admissions and they said you need to be considered in state before your first year, otherwise you are considered out of state all 4 years.

Hi friends. Has anyone heard about waitlist movement?
Idk for sure but I’ve been looking at the Facebook group chat and it fluctuated down like 10 people and back up over the past couple weeks. I’m assuming some people have gotten off already

Idk for sure but I’ve been looking at the Facebook group chat and it fluctuated down like 10 people and back up over the past couple weeks. I’m assuming some people have gotten off already

Which group chat are you referring to?

Based on what I know, the Admissions Office has to verify all the transcripts sent by alternates. So even though they could technically offer alternates a spot during May, I don’t think anyone hears back until June at the earliest.

Does anyone know what the avg mcat is here?

Does anyone know what the avg mcat is here?

It is currently advertised at 511. However, given that the Early Decision standards just went up to a minimum of 512, it is probably around that now.

Based on what I know, the Admissions Office has to verify all the transcripts sent by alternates. So even though they could technically offer alternates a spot during May, I don’t think anyone hears back until June at the earliest.

Talked to an admitted friend and they said that they haven't seen anyone new come in who was from the waitlist. New people on the Facebook group may just have gotten into the group late.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that they had called the admissions office and were told things are going a bit slower than normal this year - understandable with the AMCAS changes. That, combined with the fact that waitlist admissions in previous years started mid-June, makes me think that waitlist movement wouldn't start until late June.

Last edited:

The Facebook one for accepted students. And if that is the case then In

Talked to an admitted friend and they said that they haven't seen anyone new come in who was from the waitlist. New people on the Facebook group may just have gotten into the group late.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that they had called the admissions office and was told things are going a bit slower than normal this year - understandable with the AMCAS changes. That, combined with the fact that waitlist admissions in previous years started mid-June, makes me think that waitlist movement wouldn't start until late June.
That makes more sense actually. I don’t know any admitted people in that chat so I was just taking a guess

anyone else get a congratulations email on an acceptance to IUSM and information about how to set up your IU email? Just got this ~15 minutes ago, but no changes on either portal and no phone calls. Thinking it was a system error

anyone else get a congratulations email on an acceptance to IUSM and information about how to set up your IU email? Just got this ~15 minutes ago, but no changes on either portal and no phone calls. Thinking it was a system error
I did. Applicant portal is unchanged. I hope this means we’re in!

just called the office, seems to have happened to a few folks. She said they're investigating the issue and told me to, "hold onto that email in case you need it in a little bit." so whatever that means??

just called the office, seems to have happened to a few folks. She said they're investigating the issue and told me to, "hold onto that email in case you need it in a little bit." so whatever that means??
I really hope that’s just the standard answer they have to give to anyone who asks. Maybe letters are in the mail?

I got super excited but now that makes me feel like I might be getting PUNK’d by admissions.

this is a bit depressing :/

this is a bit depressing :/

I had a little melt down during lunch at work after reading this thread. Think I need to delete sdn and just wait to hear. Happy for everyone who got good new tho.