2018-2019 Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my file complete email on Wednesday as well. Glad to see we’re all on the same timeline at least

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
so how did you all complete the secondary? I was not going to submit here originally but I recently got an email stating that they extended the secondary date and urged me to apply. did you answer the questions on a separate sheet of paper or what? yes . i know its late but what the heck.

so how did you all complete the secondary? I was not going to submit here originally but I recently got an email stating that they extended the secondary date and urged me to apply. did you answer the questions on a separate sheet of paper or what? yes . i know its late but what the heck.
LSU works on snail mail so nothing is online. I put the application in a PDF and used text boxes to fill out every answer. Printed it, signed where I needed to and put check marks where the computer wouldn't let me. Put all the necessary parts in a big envelope and sent it in.

Members don't see this ad :)

I received the same email as well! I was curious if this was a mass email, or if they are being sincere. Does anyone know if it is worth it to apply this late?

I received the same email as well! I was curious if this was a mass email, or if they are being sincere. Does anyone know if it is worth it to apply this late?
It is really upto you. I submitted my secondary in September and still waiting. I think it's a money tactic.

Did anyone hear anything about II? Assuming it won't come until after the holidays

Did anyone hear anything about II? Assuming it won't come until after the holidays

Got an II on 12/28. There are seven dates to choose from. You have to rank them 1-7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II on 12/28. There are seven dates to choose from. You have to rank them 1-7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What are the interview dates?

It is my understanding that Shreveport sends out 2 batches of interviews; one in October, and then that batch recently announced. I am trying to figure out when the last interview date is

It is my understanding that Shreveport sends out 2 batches of interviews; one in October, and then that batch recently announced. I am trying to figure out when the last interview date is

A friend of mine said the dates they got were all in January and February, meaning they’ll have to send out more invites for March and April.

At least I hope they’ll send out more invites.

What are the chances of getting in after interviewing and being placed on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long post the application complete email have people who interviewed received an interview invitation on average? I know the school has a later application process. Good luck to everyone who has interviewed.

How long post the application complete email have people who interviewed received an interview invitation on average? I know the school has a later application process. Good luck to everyone who has interviewed.
II today. Submitted my materials end of September and received file complete email on December 5.

My last interview date offered was February 26. I do not know if this necessarily means this is the last possible date to interview though.

How receptive is the admission committee to updates?
To updates to your application? Very. I’ve already sent in two. An updated CV and updated Transcript. They replied within two days saying it was added to my file. Updates to your status? I’ve heard they don’t like to answer those

To updates to your application? Very. I’ve already sent in two. An updated CV and updated Transcript. They replied within two days saying it was added to my file. Updates to your status? I’ve heard they don’t like to answer those
What email did you send an update to?

For anyone that has interviewed recently, do you care to share your experience or any other information? Thank you!

For anyone that has interviewed recently, do you care to share your experience or any other information? Thank you!
I interviewed for ED, so I believe my experience was shorter than the regular interviews, since we didn't have a tour of the campus. I could be wrong there. However, the actual interview had a very relaxed feel. All of the interviewees were gathered in a conference room where we each gave our name and an interesting fact about ourselves. We were then given cards with the names of the committee members (two of them) who would interview us. There are two 30 minute interviews and a 10 minute interview with either Dr. Kennedy or Dr. Arnold (I think his name was Dr. Arnold). All three of my interviews were very smooth and relaxed. They made it clear that they just wanted to get to know me and converse.

I interviewed for ED, so I believe my experience was shorter than the regular interviews, since we didn't have a tour of the campus. I could be wrong there. However, the actual interview had a very relaxed feel. All of the interviewees were gathered in a conference room where we each gave our name and an interesting fact about ourselves. We were then given cards with the names of the committee members (two of them) who would interview us. There are two 30 minute interviews and a 10 minute interview with either Dr. Kennedy or Dr. Arnold (I think his name was Dr. Arnold). All three of my interviews were very smooth and relaxed. They made it clear that they just wanted to get to know me and converse.

Thank you for responding!

Like Wibz said, it was a very laid back interview. They want you to be comfortable and proactive about talking about yourself. Best advice would be to practice talking about why you want to enter medicine in regular conversation instead of just having a prepared elevator pitch. Don't be shy or come off really nervous and you should do great.

Hey! I have an interview coming up and am about to send in my one-page resume. I was wondering if anyone knew if Dr Kennedy was particular about anything on the resume, like if anything was a turn off etc.? Wondering if I should filter it into what is the more important parts of the application, and whether I should leave out colleges attended? any feedback would be helpful
Thanks!

Hey! I have an interview coming up and am about to send in my one-page resume. I was wondering if anyone knew if Dr Kennedy was particular about anything on the resume, like if anything was a turn off etc.? Wondering if I should filter it into what is the more important parts of the application, and whether I should leave out colleges attended? any feedback would be helpful
Thanks!
When was your application completed; and when did you receive your interview invite? Thanks

Thanks!
Yea he likes you to have a concise resume. Don't make it super detailed. He wants to be able to look at it, see what you did and not spend a ton of time reading a full page crammed with info. He also takes the photo very serious. No idea why. He's weird about it. Just make sure its a nice photo. You would be surprised the photos some kids use. He told me all of this when I met with him before the application process. Best of luck!

Yea he likes you to have a concise resume. Don't make it super detailed. He wants to be able to look at it, see what you did and not spend a ton of time reading a full page crammed with info. He also takes the photo very serious. No idea why. He's weird about it. Just make sure its a nice photo. You would be surprised the photos some kids use. He told me all of this when I met with him before the application process. Best of luck!
Will you share more information about what a good photo is and what a bad one is, just to make sure we have the best photo. Thank you!

Will you share more information about what a good photo is and what a bad one is, just to make sure we have the best photo. Thank you!
I just went to a professional photo place and got a quick shoulder up portrait. If you're a guy be in a shirt and tie, if a girl do a nice outfit not too revealing. Just don't stand out for the wrong reason. Doesn't have to be professionally done. Its not a big deal its just one of his things he pays attention to. Don't be the girl who uses her photo in a full college cheerleading outfit or a guy on hunting trip in camo in a pic with his dog. Apparently you'd be surprised at the photos kids use!

I just went to a professional photo place and got a quick shoulder up portrait. If you're a guy be in a shirt and tie, if a girl do a nice outfit not too revealing. Just don't stand out for the wrong reason. Doesn't have to be professionally done. Its not a big deal its just one of his things he pays attention to. Don't be the girl who uses her photo in a full college cheerleading outfit or a guy on hunting trip in camo in a pic with his dog. Apparently you'd be surprised at the photos kids use!
Great information. Thank you!

I was accepted Thursday night! So exciting!

Reactions: 3 users
I have an interview upcoming on the 26th and am interested in speaking with a few different current students and post-interview applicants. Nothing specific really, just interested in hearing what your take on the school is and the pros and cons of the program, curriculum, and infrastructure at the school. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Also, anyone have a take on how many spots remain open after the previous rounds of interviews? Thanks.

I have an interview upcoming on the 26th and am interested in speaking with a few different current students and post-interview applicants. Nothing specific really, just interested in hearing what your take on the school is and the pros and cons of the program, curriculum, and infrastructure at the school. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Also, anyone have a take on how many spots remain open after the previous rounds of interviews? Thanks.
When was your application completed and when did you receive your interview invite? Thanks!

Congrats!

Stats?

IS or OOS?

I'm in-state. I got my II 1/22, but was a special case, I think. Average stats with the 32-rule, but have experience working as an id epi for the state. And some good supplementals.

I had my interview here yesterday and I must say I was extremely impressed. The student culture here is excellent. Really didn't get a gunner, hyper-competitive vibe from any of the students I met and everyone treated each other like family. The interviews were also very relaxed and conversational. Excellent experience overall.

Reactions: 2 users
I had my interview here yesterday and I must say I was extremely impressed. The student culture here is excellent. Really didn't get a gunner, hyper-competitive vibe from any of the students I met and everyone treated each other like family. The interviews were also very relaxed and conversational. Excellent experience overall.
That is good to hear! When was your application completed, and when did you get your II invite? Please share stats. Thank you!

got a letter in the mail today that i'm on the acceptable list. does anyone else have experience with this list? what should i expect now?

got a letter in the mail today that i'm on the acceptable list. does anyone else have experience with this list? what should i expect now?

I think many applicants get placed on this list. If you haven’t already, you can read about what the school says about it and what students on it can expect. But basically it means you could be waiting until after the double hold deadline of April 30th. Here’s the link: Acceptable List - Acceptable? Waiting? Aproved? or Alternate?

I am super shocked that I have not heard anything back yet from this school. I interviewed at New Orleans last month. I thought this School was "easier" to get into so that I would hear back first.

I am super shocked that I have not heard anything back yet from this school. I interviewed at New Orleans last month. I thought this School was "easier" to get into so that I would hear back first.

From a basic stats point of view, everyone who interviews has an ~60% chance of acceptance. This is based on last year’s interview/acceptance numbers which the school published. Approximately 230 interviewees with approximately 130 matriculants. That of course goes up if you’re on the acceptable list as some poor souls get rejection letters following an interview. Sit tight, don’t let the butterflies bite.

In the meantime, give me some advice. I’m interviewing on the 26th.

From a basic stats point of view, everyone who interviews has an ~60% chance of acceptance. This is based on last year’s interview/acceptance numbers which the school published. Approximately 230 interviewees with approximately 130 matriculants. That of course goes up if you’re on the acceptable list as some poor souls get rejection letters following an interview. Sit tight, don’t let the butterflies bite.

In the meantime, give me some advice. I’m interviewing on the 26th.
How did your interview go for you?