2018-2019 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I apologize if my questions were already answered previously, but I was hoping if any current students could offer some insight. I am an accepted student.

1. What is the support system like at MU-COM? Are there support-groups/organizations for minority students?
2. Do we have to find our own rotations or does the university help us find them?
3. How does the institution prevent DO-bias from occurring at rotation sites?
4. Would you consider the student body to be collaborative or competitive?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I apologize if my questions were already answered previously, but I was hoping if any current students could offer some insight. I am an accepted student.

1. What is the support system like at MU-COM? Are there support-groups/organizations for minority students?
2. Do we have to find our own rotations or does the university help us find them?
3. How does the institution prevent DO-bias from occurring at rotation sites?
4. Would you consider the student body to be collaborative or competitive?

Thanks!

Alright, lemme see if I can answer everything for you.

1. I’m not 100% sure what you’re looking for here but there are student interest groups including ones for minorities. I think one of the major ones is SNMA which is a branch of a national organization. Overall student support is top notch. We have an award winning Wellness League that focuses on multiple aspects of student health. There is also on campus counseling services that are free with no limit on the number of sessions.

2. You are welcome to find your own rotation but you are not required to. All core rotations will be set up for you unless you choose to set some up yourself.

3. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by DO-bias on rotation sites, unless you bias against DOs? In any case, Indiana is a DO friendly state. The only places you might get a bias would be an IU hospital, maybe. But we don’t rotate there—that I’m aware— unless it’s a fourth year audition/rotation you set up. The main sites we rotate at are places that our students regularly match at.

4. This is entirely class dependent, but it’s definitely been more collaborative while I’ve been here. We have students post notes and study guides on our Facebook pages regularly, but my classmates won’t be yours, so your experience could be entirely different. But overall, the atmosphere is more collaborative than competitive, in my opinion.

If you need any elaboration, let me know and you can always PM if you’d like.

Alright, lemme see if I can answer everything for you.

1. I’m not 100% sure what you’re looking for here but there are student interest groups including ones for minorities. I think one of the major ones is SNMA which is a branch of a national organization. Overall student support is top notch. We have an award winning Wellness League that focuses on multiple aspects of student health. There is also on campus counseling services that are free with no limit on the number of sessions.

2. You are welcome to find your own rotation but you are not required to. All core rotations will be set up for you unless you choose to set some up yourself.

3. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by DO-bias on rotation sites, unless you bias against DOs? In any case, Indiana is a DO friendly state. The only places you might get a bias would be an IU hospital, maybe. But we don’t rotate there—that I’m aware— unless it’s a fourth year audition/rotation you set up. The main sites we rotate at are places that our students regularly match at.

4. This is entirely class dependent, but it’s definitely been more collaborative while I’ve been here. We have students post notes and study guides on our Facebook pages regularly, but my classmates won’t be yours, so your experience could be entirely different. But overall, the atmosphere is more collaborative than competitive, in my opinion.

If you need any elaboration, let me know and you can always PM if you’d like.

Thank you! To clarify, I do not bias against DO's WHATSOEVER. My question is based off of a DO student (not in MU-COM) who was telling me about a bad experience he recently had during his rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now for Friday! Can anyone comment on the post II acceptance?

also if someone could suggest a good place to stay I would appreciate it!

On Marian’s site they have a page that shows you a ton of hotel options that are very close to campus! There’s a link to it in the interview offer email I’m pretty sure.

Hey guys! I’m a first year at MUCOM, just wanted to tell you that if you have any questions about first year stuff you can sent me a message and I can respond to any questions! I was in the same shoes last year and now I’m almost done with my first year of med school:joyful: so let me know if I can help out by answering some questions! Take care and enjoy you summer please ! Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I’m a first year at MUCOM, just wanted to tell you that if you have any questions about first year stuff you can sent me a message and I can respond to any questions! I was in the same shoes last year and now I’m almost done with my first year of med school:joyful: so let me know if I can help out by answering some questions! Take care and enjoy you summer please ! Lol

Thank you for doing this! It is always nice to see students come back to answer questions for those in the application cycle :)!

Does anyone have interview tips? Interviewing here soon and if anyone has any advice on how I should prep...I’m open to suggestions!

Does anyone have interview tips? Interviewing here soon and if anyone has any advice on how I should prep...I’m open to suggestions!
Seconded-also how did y'all feel about the MMIs? Were there acting stations or essay stations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconded-also how did y'all feel about the MMIs? Were there acting stations or essay stations?
I thought the MMI’s were fun and interesting. It was my first time doing it, but overall I thought it was a good experience. I can’t tell you exactly what type of questions or what we did. However, I wouldn’t stress too much about it. If you would like to prepare for it, then I would google some MMI questions.

I thought the MMI’s were fun and interesting. It was my first time doing it, but overall I thought it was a good experience. I can’t tell you exactly what type of questions or what we did. However, I wouldn’t stress too much about it. If you would like to prepare for it, then I would google some MMI questions.

How was the traditional interview? I’ve heard in general that some can be really casual and it’s just a conversation, but did you feel like this one was more on the formal side?

I second this. I really really liked the MMI’s. I never thought it say an interview was fun but they kind of were

How was the traditional interview? I’ve heard in general that some can be really casual and it’s just a conversation, but did you feel like this one was more on the formal side?
I felt the traditional was like most interviews at other schools. From what I can tell, they try to make it conversational, but they have a certain list of questions they want to ask you. So the best advice I can tell you is just be yourself. Just know your application well. From all your academics etc.

Adding to this, the traditional interview is blind. They only know your name and school, so they make sure to leave it very open to what you want to highlight in your application. It may seem like you're rambling but just know what is important to you. It was very relaxed for me.

I agree with those above. The traditional interview station is the longest but the interviewer is only required to ask you 3 specific questions that are asked of everyone. Mine felt really conversational because we talked about shared interests for ~10 minutes, while the remaining time was spent addressing those specific questions. It felt very laid back

They say march 15th but someone told me that he found out he got in on Friday so they may be looking at it consistently.
Do you mind sharing where you get this information from? Thank you in advance!

Interview invite today but no white days on the calendar in the portal, kinda bummed :( no spots left? What do you think?

When is the white coat ceremony typically for those entering the program? Thanks!

Interview invite today but no white days on the calendar in the portal, kinda bummed :( no spots left? What do you think?
I'm pretty certain they will make sure you have a chance for interview if they sent you an invite. There is an ASAP list that you can ask to be put on. In my case, they opened up few days for us to sign up.

For those who have interviewed... is there an area where you can store your coat/belongings before the day starts?

Hey! if any current students can answer my questions I would be so thankful!
What should be our timeline for financial aid/scholarship applications?
When is a good time to start looking for apartments?
Is public transportation useful in Indianapolis (e.g. will I need a car for the first two years)?
How are the classes set up in the first year at Marian, do we ever have multiple exams in one week?

Thanks!

Got the call this morning! Accepted and could not be happier!!

Reactions: 2 users
Emailed for the ASAP/Cancellation list and got an interview April 5! I think it's the last interview day lol but I don't mind, woo woo! Anyone else interviewing April 5??

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! if any current students can answer my questions I would be so thankful!
What should be our timeline for financial aid/scholarship applications?
When is a good time to start looking for apartments?
Is public transportation useful in Indianapolis (e.g. will I need a car for the first two years)?
How are the classes set up in the first year at Marian, do we ever have multiple exams in one week?

Thanks!
I could be of some help here:
You should apply for FAFSA as soon as you know you're going to med school. You can designate the school and then over the summer they will inform you of the loans you've received. You can also apply for Grad PLUS loans and that opens around April 1. They will give some info about scholarships but if you're passionate about that, you may have to google scholarships available to med students as they only have a few at MUCOM.

I would start looking for apartments ASAP. The Overlook probably has a wait list already. I would recommend for sure having a car if you live off campus. You could probably deal with not having a car if you live at the Overlook, but you may want one for grocery shopping/driving other places etc. The buses I don't think are reliable and I don't really know anyone who takes them.

You will have multiple exams in one week for different classes sometimes. You may have a systems class exam on a Monday and an OPP exam like Wednesday or something. They try to spread it out the best they can, and mostly this happens during finals week in November/December/May. They are usually good and trying not to pile exams on you in one week, but you def will have 1 exam one week and another the next.

If you don't mind me asking, what day were you verified? I've been waiting for quite a while to hear back from admissions

Hi, All!

I understand that many of you say that they will likely review the waitlist on March 15... yet, I understand that they tend to review and inform the applicants on Thursdays. So, I have a few questions. 1) Do you think we may hear tomorrow, Friday, or another Thursday this month? When I called, I got the generic "before the end of March" timeline.
2) If Friday, how did you find out it was March 15? What "deposit" do you speak of? 3) If taken off the waitlist, is this typically an email notification?
Ever since I received the "we will reviewing the alternate list once again in March" email, I have been nervous, and I just want to be able to channel my nerves to a certain date rather than all month lol.

Thank you all, and best of luck!

Hi, All!

I understand that many of you say that they will likely review the waitlist on March 15... yet, I understand that they tend to review and inform the applicants on Thursdays. So, I have a few questions. 1) Do you think we may hear tomorrow, Friday, or another Thursday this month? When I called, I got the generic "before the end of March" timeline.
2) If Friday, how did you find out it was March 15? What "deposit" do you speak of? 3) If taken off the waitlist, is this typically an email notification?
Ever since I received the "we will reviewing the alternate list once again in March" email, I have been nervous, and I just want to be able to channel my nerves to a certain date rather than all month lol.

Thank you all, and best of luck!

They may not even review the waitlist tomorrow depending on how filled up it is (but I guess we'll find out!). They will for sure review it in May though.

Last edited:
Hi All,
We will review the alternate list May 2. Mr. Goodpaster will send an email in the coming weeks (2) asking you to confirm your alternate list status and that will be the list the committee selects from throughout the summer.

Hey everyone! Good luck and or congratulations to everyone participating in the application cycle! I have an upcoming interview at MU-COM on Friday, April 5th! I'm very excited because this is one of my top choices but I had a question, not sure if anyone here knows the answer:

So, I see a lot of people discussing the "alternate list" and this makes me wonder: since I am interviewing so late in the game (literally on the last day of interviews for MU-COM), am I pretty much interviewing for a spot on the alternate list or does the possibility of receiving an acceptance offer directly without being put on the alternate list still exist at this point in the application cycle?

Again, this doesn't really change much--- still going to give it everything I have, but it helps to know there are still spots left available.

Hey everyone! Good luck and or congratulations to everyone participating in the application cycle! I have an upcoming interview at MU-COM on Friday, April 5th! I'm very excited because this is one of my top choices but I had a question, not sure if anyone here knows the answer:

So, I see a lot of people discussing the "alternate list" and this makes me wonder: since I am interviewing so late in the game (literally on the last day of interviews for MU-COM), am I pretty much interviewing for a spot on the alternate list or does the possibility of receiving an acceptance offer directly without being put on the alternate list still exist at this point in the application cycle?

Again, this doesn't really change much--- still going to give it everything I have, but it helps to know there are still spots left available.

When I interviewed 2 weeks ago they said everyone who interview interviews for a spot in the class, not just for the waitlist. April 5th was the last day they did say, and after that they'll start pulling from waitlist. A very large waitlist from what he said, since almost no one gets rejected, but I'll bet there's lots of movement there after the traffic deadline.

When I interviewed 2 weeks ago they said everyone who interview interviews for a spot in the class, not just for the waitlist. April 5th was the last day they did say, and after that they'll start pulling from waitlist. A very large waitlist from what he said, since almost no one gets rejected, but I'll bet there's lots of movement there after the traffic deadline.

Thanks so much for responding! I hope your interview went well! This gives me a little bit of relief. Hopefully I can try to avoid that alternate list if possible at all, but either event would be an awesome position to be in.

Hi DeanK,
We are glad we are one of your top choices! To answer your question, it has become custom here at MU-COM to not interview students only for the alternate list. We will have at minimum 1 seat availbe when you interview and more than likely that number will actually be 5. See you soon!

Hi DeanK,
We are glad we are one of your top choices! To answer your question, it has become custom here at MU-COM to not interview students only for the alternate list. We will have at minimum 1 seat availbe when you interview and more than likely that number will actually be 5. See you soon!

I think that’s a very fair custom. Thank you for responding and I can’t wait for April!! See you then!

I apologize! I feel like I'm spamming this thread! But SDN is such a helpful knowledge base and community and I appreciate the opportunity to be able to ask questions!

To any future or current MU-COM students, need help with a housing question please:

So, I'm interviewing soon at MU-COM and therefore have not received any sort of acceptance offer yet. However, maybe it was slightly preemptive but I decided to apply to the Overlook Housing (just in case I do receive acceptance) because I wasn't sure how fast these things fill up and I was placed on the Overlook waitlist not too long ago. Anyways, this morning I received an email from the person in charge and she notified me that a two-bedroom was available for rent for 2019-2020.

My questions:

- If someone like me isn't sure if I'd be accepted yet or not, what do you recommend I do? I was told to notify her by Monday if I want to be placed for this listing.

- Even if I was accepted, how do I find another roommate that is willing to split the rent?

- One more thing: the rent seemed pretty high compared to the "housing" budget listed under MU-COM's costs of attending. Is there a way to apply loans to this monthly rent?

Please let me know if anyone has any insight. It's kind of stressful because I've never had to deal with graduate housing before.

Congrats on your interview! Personally, I wouldn't sign a lease for graduate housing unless you're actually accepted. You could just explain this to them and remain on the waitlist for further movement in the case that you're accepted in the coming months, or just live elsewhere. There's plenty of housing opportunities in Indy. Once accepted, you have access to the MUCOM Class of 2023 Facebook page, where you can try to find a roommate.

As for loans, this is new territory for me as well. From what I understand, your loans will first apply to tuition/fees/blahblah and any remaining loan that you accepted will be given to you at the beginning of each semester. It's your job to budget this amount to last you throughout the semester. So, yes, your loan money can be applied to your rent.

Congrats on your interview! Personally, I wouldn't sign a lease for graduate housing unless you're actually accepted. You could just explain this to them and remain on the waitlist for further movement in the case that you're accepted in the coming months, or just live elsewhere. There's plenty of housing opportunities in Indy. Once accepted, you have access to the MUCOM Class of 2023 Facebook page, where you can try to find a roommate.

As for loans, this is new territory for me as well. From what I understand, your loans will first apply to tuition/fees/blahblah and any remaining loan that you accepted will be given to you at the beginning of each semester. It's your job to budget this amount to last you throughout the semester. So, yes, your loan money can be applied to your rent.

Hey, thank you for the response! Very useful information! This gives me a little bit of relief. Have a great day!!

Question: is there a GPA we have to meet for our last sememster or get like all Bs in classes or something? I’m really struggling with inorganic chemistry this semester (as is our whole class (test average and mode ~70% on exams). I have all As in my other classes so my GPA will be over a 3.5 for the semester. Will a C in inorganic result in my acceptance being revoked?

Question: is there a GPA we have to meet for our last sememster or get like all Bs in classes or something? I’m really struggling with inorganic chemistry this semester (as is our whole class (test average and mode ~70% on exams). I have all As in my other classes so my GPA will be over a 3.5 for the semester. Will a C in inorganic result in my acceptance being revoked?

From what I know, graduate programs, including medical schools, typically do follow-up with a matriculant’s final semester of grades and the reason they do this involves the idea of confirming the work ethic of the student is the same as was displayed during their interview and what was represented by their application materials. It’s not that there’s a specific GPA criterion they go by, but finishing strong is a good indicator that your previous grades weren’t “just to get accepted” but rather that they are a reflection of your motivation as a student and did not just “collapse” of exhaustion the moment you receive an offer of acceptance. You should try your best to continue the positive trend of GPA that you showed in your application materials. I think revoking an acceptance is rarely employed but not entirely out of the question, especially for science courses that are an indicator of how well you’re going to perform as an MS1.

Hi everyone,

On the interview day, Mr. Goodpaster had mentioned specific dates that require mandatory attendance for accepted students. Does anyone remember these (e.g. orientation, first day of classes, etc)?

Thank you.