2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This last question though....really hoping I don't get screened out because of it ;)

Members don't see this ad.

what word count are you guys going for? Is 200 words too low?

Members don't see this ad :)
This last question though....really hoping I don't get screened out because of it ;)
Yeah, I'm not sure what they want. I know Mayo's patient population is usually older white folk but they're also known to bring in a lot of patients with unique diseases from around the world. Maybe if I just type 'please accept me' 166 times I'll do fine!

Reactions: 1 user
how are they defining diversity here? can it be anything basically?

Are the Arizona and Minnesota Secondaries the same questions?

Worth applying with LizzyM 69-70 but strong extracurriculars and disadvantaged non-URM applicant?

Is the 2+2 a separate admissions process? Like, if I apply to the 2+2 as my second choice but get rejected, will it influence my shot for regular Mayo?

Current Mayo med student here (at the MN campus) and I'm happy to answer any questions about my personal experience (feel free to send me a private message if you prefer). Also wanted to share some resources I posted in the thread from last year (edited out some stuff that had info that's no longer applicable)

Meet Mayo Med (Student-run blog) - Meet Mayo Med
Student Review of Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Student Review: Mayo Clinic College of Medicine - Prospective Doctor
Med school's instagram account - Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (@mayoclinicsom) • Instagram photos and videos
Info on Selectives (unique aspect of Mayo's curriculum):
Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
Student Reflections on Selectives - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
another Mayo med student blog (with more posts about selectives) - All blog posts
Curious about life in Rochester? - Rochester MN (run by Neurology professor at Mayo)

The following was originally compiled and posted by earf - note that info has been edited to remove what was no longer accurate
Thanks for all the information. Would you be able to speak at all to the 2+2 Florida track? I'm having trouble finding specifics on what extra stuff that site has to offer other than liver transplants and I guess an emphasis on global health. For instance, what are the major differences between doing your clerkship years in Arizona vs. Florida? What are some pros and cons of the Florida track? Is there a specific interest you should have or specific type of person/applicant you should be to consider the 2+2 track or is it more do you simply want to live in Florida or not?

Yeah I think it is probably worse than Northern Ohio and definitely southeastern WI because there's no lake effect to keep it more moderate, the great plains are super flat and have a horrible windchill, if the temp is 0 it usually feels like -10 or -15. Although I've heard some Mayo students spend their winters in Arizona or Florida so maybe you could get away for the winter!
Actually the whole city is basically connected by underground tunnels (I believe that it's called the subway, but its really a walking thing) that allow you to navigate to your needed areas. I explored the city+mayo through one of their invite programs :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know where we get can more information about the 2+2 program?

Anyone still waiting on the secondary?? Worried about being screened out

Anyone else struggling with these diversity essays? Second one isn't too bad but I'm struggling to adjust my normal diversity essay to the first one. Should we specifically spell out how different activities were involved in different parts of our lives show our diversity? I have an essay written now but it feels much weeker than my original diversity one.

Anyone else struggling with these diversity essays? Second one isn't too bad but I'm struggling to adjust my normal diversity essay to the first one. Should we specifically spell out how different activities were involved in different parts of our lives show our diversity? I have an essay written now but it feels much weeker than my original diversity one.
I’m having the opposite problem lol. How did you tackle the second one?

What I did was take my normal diversity essay, shorten it where I could to make room, then tack on a paragraph at the end focused on how this particular attribute shows up in other parts of my life. It ended up being 2 equally sized paragraphs, one describing my unique qualities and the other showing how they surface in my activities. I think it worked well

2nd one was tricky Because I didn't know if I should write in very general terms about what diverse environments do for physicians or take a more detailed approach specific to mayos programs. I took an in between approach, talking about a few specific ways in which learning/working environments can be diverse and for each talked about the benefits/why it's important for physicians.

Still waiting on a secondary. I submitted my primary May 31 and was verified same day. MCAT is above their screen. This is my dream school, so I'm getting very anxious. Applying regular MD. Anyone else still waiting?

I talked about my specific experiences in teaching and how having a diverse environment enhanced them and then connected it to how I think having a similarly diverse environment in medical school will be important and related it to working with diverse patients in the future.

What I did was take my normal diversity essay, shorten it where I could to make room, then tack on a paragraph at the end focused on how this particular attribute shows up in other parts of my life. It ended up being 2 equally sized paragraphs, one describing my unique qualities and the other showing how they surface in my activities. I think it worked well

Thanks I ended up doing something similar where I just made a new paragraph talking about it and I think it works out ok. Still liked my original better though but definitely not as bad now as it was before!

Is anyone having an issue where letters are not showing up for the Minnesota campus? They show up for the Arizona campus just fine for me but the issue is preventing my application from being marked complete in Minnesota.

I have more of a general question....Do most schools contact you via email when action has been taken on your application? Whether it is interview invite, rejection, or hold? Thanks for any response in advance

I have more of a general question....Do most schools contact you via email when action has been taken on your application? Whether it is interview invite, rejection, or hold? Thanks for any response in advance
Depends on the action. As far as I know pretty much every school emails or maybe even calls for interviews or acceptances. The other stuff varies by school, but the II's and accepts are the important part anyways

Are the prompts the same across both Mayo campuses (MN and AZ)?

3. Share with us your thoughts about the relevance – or not – of diverse learning environments in which you wish to learn medicine.

I might be interrupting the prompt incorrectly, but is "diverse learning environment" meaning a class of diverse study body? Is it appropriate to write a "diversity 2.0" essay that continues from prompt #2?

Hey guys. Wondering if y'all wrote different things for the AZ/MN secondaries or just kept them the same. Also, is the Science of HEalth Care Delivery only available at the AZ campus?

Hey guys. Wondering if y'all wrote different things for the AZ/MN secondaries or just kept them the same. Also, is the Science of HEalth Care Delivery only available at the AZ campus?
A current student commented a while ago that he/she used the same essays for both and was accepted to at least one of the schools. For your second question Idk because I'm only applying to AZ, but I imagine the school website could probably answer that

SHCD curriculum is at both campuses! I kept my essays the same because after writing, I felt they were applicable to both campuses.

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! Was expecting to not hear back from anyone for at least a week on this haha. And cool, I thought mine were applicable to both campuses as well, I just wasn't sure if admissions would frown on it or think you weren't putting in good enough effort. Submitting my secondary now a week after receiving.

Good luck, guys!

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys! Was expecting to not hear back from anyone for at least a week on this haha. And cool, I thought mine were applicable to both campuses as well, I just wasn't sure if admissions would frown on it or think you weren't putting in good enough effort. Submitting my secondary now a week after receiving.

Good luck, guys!

They're 2 different admissions, they won't even know

Feeling a little worried that I won't be able to make the two week turnaround:( These last two weeks have been some of my busiest between working full time, moving out of my apartment, and trying to get other secondaries done. I'm sure other applicants are just as busy, so it isn't an excuse. My committee letter and letter packet aren't in yet for what its worth, and I noticed that in the email, it says submit the secondary either within two weeks or immediately after your letters have been turned in. Would it be okay to push past the two weeks if my letters still aren't in?

Feeling a little worried that I won't be able to make the two week turnaround:( These last two weeks have been some of my busiest between working full time, moving out of my apartment, and trying to get other secondaries done. I'm sure other applicants are just as busy, so it isn't an excuse. My committee letter and letter packet aren't in yet for what its worth, and I noticed that in the email, it says submit the secondary either within two weeks or immediately after your letters have been turned in. Would it be okay to push past the two weeks if my letters still aren't in?
Yes that's fine, that's why it says "or immediately after your letters have been turned in" like you stated. Just get it in by the time they get your letters or shortly after

Yes that's fine, that's why it says "or immediately after your letters have been turned in" like you stated. Just get it in by the time they get your letters or shortly after

Anyone know if there’s a penalty if it’s not in within 2 weeks? Is your app gonna be tossed out if it’s like 3 weeks or so

Waiting on a secondary, primary sent in 15 July. Low MCAT, so I may have been screened out.

Are u applying MD only? I didn't see anything about 2 weeks in my email. Maybe it's because I'm applying MD/PhD?

I don't see a video in my email or on the app portal. Is this a video on this website or YouTube?

Edit: Wait Im sorry I confused this school with another one. Must have clicked the wrong thread. The two week notice was in the email for Mayo.

Edit: Wait Im sorry I confused this school with another one. Must have clicked the wrong thread. The two week notice was in the email for Mayo.
Thanks! I still didnt see it but I went ahead and submitted anyway. The MSTP secondary only had 1 question, so wasn't too bad.

Hey guys,
if you applied for their Florida focus program, do you think that is a disadvantage in terms of your application getting looked at for the regular program?

Is anyone still waiting on a MSTP secondary? Got verified 7/23.

Also are the MSTP prompts the same as for MD?