2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any MSTP folks hear anything back?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
has everyone that heard back have really high stats like around the 80s? im in low 70's and haven't heard anything so wondering if they are going by high stats to low stats

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they have student hosts for the interviews?

Yes, we do have student hosts

Great! I got an interview invite but didn't get any information about student hosts, would it be a good idea to call the admissions office to ask for details or is it separate from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys - on the secondary question 'We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities'

Does professional = school/work and personal = extracurricular?

Or does personal = your hobbies and such?

Tbh I think i have very good answers for professional but my hobbies are VERY ordinary, to the point i would be embarrased to call them my 'personal diversity' manifesting in my personal activities lmao

does Mayo only want acrobatic circus jugglers cause I am definitely nowhere near that level...

Hi guys - on the secondary question 'We are all unique in different ways. Explain how your personal diversity manifests in your personal and professional activities'

Does professional = school/work and personal = extracurricular?

Or does personal = your hobbies and such?

Tbh I think i have very good answers for professional but my hobbies are VERY ordinary, to the point i would be embarrased to call them my 'personal diversity' manifesting in my personal activities lmao

does Mayo only want acrobatic circus jugglers cause I am definitely nowhere near that level...
Hahahahaha . The last phrase just made my day

Lol i've never been to the doctor and thought to myself

'gee i wonder how unique this guy/gal's hobbies are'

Reactions: 1 users
Lol i've never been to the doctor and thought to myself

'gee i wonder how unique this guy/gal's hobbies are'
Lol apparently you should since that’s how future doctors are admitted to med school

Reactions: 2 users
For real tho did you guys talk about the diversity of your hobbies?? Am I not answering the question if I do not....This is killing me

Anybody know if those on hold ever end up getting an interview.... Looking back on last year's thread, didn't seem that was a significant possibility

For real tho did you guys talk about the diversity of your hobbies?? Am I not answering the question if I do not....This is killing me

Lol, I don't think you need to specifically be like "I'm a tap dancer so that makes me unique to the medical community" (that would be an example in my case, haha), but I talked about being a female engineer, for example, and how I'm in the Society of Women Engineers and have been in classes where I'm a minority as a female, etc., things like that. If you feel like your diversity is best represented in your professional activities, then just focus on those. I don't think the Adcom will notice or care that you don't mention juggling, cross-country skiing, or playing the tuba as part of your "diversity"... but that's just imo.

For what it's worth I didn't really discuss my hobbies, my essay was a slightly modified version of my regular diversity essay, which is generally about diversity of thought and a few life experiences

Anybody know if those on hold ever end up getting an interview.... Looking back on last year's thread, didn't seem that was a significant possibility
If not then I wish they would've just outright rejected me instead. Do they even send rejections or has it been either interview or hold only?

If not then I wish they would've just outright rejected me instead. Do they even send rejections or has it been either interview or hold only?
Last year mass rejections were sent out in December

Reactions: 1 users
Great! I got an interview invite but didn't get any information about student hosts, would it be a good idea to call the admissions office to ask for details or is it separate from them?

So we just got the email today about hosting students etc, so you can definitely reach out to the admissions office to request one, but they'll probably let you know that we're getting everything sorted at the moment and we'll get you assigned with a week or two! No harm in sending an email though :D

I just got a second on hold email. They really want me to know that I am on hold!

Reactions: 9 users
Dang, Mayo got me excited only to be put on hold again. As if it wasn't clear on Friday :(

Reactions: 7 users
Mayo just gave me a heart attack with that second on hold email...

Reactions: 4 users
II today!
4.0, 523, complete 7/26 OOS with strong ties to Mayo (summer research here)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I got an on hold email today followed a few hours by an email from the class representatives meant to welcome people who received interviews. Did anyone else have this? A glitch?

anyone else get neither a hold email or interview.

submitted 8/7 though

Reactions: 2 users
I got an on hold email today followed a few hours by an email from the class representatives meant to welcome people who received interviews. Did anyone else have this? A glitch?

Have you checked your app status on the portal? Maybe look under communication status too and see what it says there! Perhaps you were supposed to have gotten an II email?

Have you checked your app status on the portal? Maybe look under communication status too and see what it says there! Perhaps you were supposed to have gotten an II email?
Good idea! I just checked now and no interview there. Communication tab showed both emails sent though. Weird!

Good idea! I just checked now and no interview there. Communication tab showed both emails sent though. Weird!
It sounds like it was a glitch then! but I would for sure call or email them about it to make sure because that's super weird

Submitted 7/20 and still haven't heard anything. fingers crossed.

Does ‘on hold’ basically mean rejected? I’m so depressed right now; Mayo was my dream school.

For those of you on hold, do you know what the stats are like? I couldn't find anything about people going from hold to ii.

Maybe a current student could help answer?

I'm a current student. Hold does not equal rejection at all. I was put on hold before getting an interview invite.

Reactions: 7 users
I did just receive a flat-out rejection from Mayo AZ, so I'm not exactly hopeful about my application at Mayo MN lol

Yes, they detailed precisely why they rejected me, unlike every other med school.

I got an email that said (paraphrasing) "**** out of luck, sorry." :p
Wait Mayo Clinic explains why you were rejected?? Can’t tell if this was sarcasm or not lol