2018-2019 Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the clarification. Should I be concerned that I was complete July 27, but haven't received any news at all? Not even placed on hold? Should I just assume they haven't gotten around to reviewing my application yet?
+1

My guess is they don’t know what to do with us

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the clarification. Should I be concerned that I was complete July 27, but haven't received any news at all? Not even placed on hold? Should I just assume they haven't gotten around to reviewing my application yet?
I was complete about 2 weeks before that and haven't heard anything yet, so I'm probably not the right person to ask :p

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Would you be willing to tell us a little bit about yourself (OOS/IS, stats, work experience and interests - anything you think relevant) so that we can get an idea for what qualities Mayo MN is looking for in candidates? Also, can you tell us a little bit about why you chose Mayo MN?

I am OOS, Marine Veteran, worked with homeless vets, crrated a non-profit, and was a Medical Response Team Leader in Afghanistan. My stats are 4.0 and 509 MCAT (I had 3 weeks to study due to a deployment). Honestly, in my opinion Mayo values true commitment. Whatever form it takes. I chose Mayo because the small class size allows for an impressive amount of individual attention, no need to compete with classmates, and the hospital was amazing on my interview day. Mayo's culture of the patient comes first is amazing and they truly mean it. Now, with my MCAT i Should say that the MCAT average of my class is 519-520 so take that for what you will. Any other questions let me know.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi wanted to know if Mayo MN and MAYO AZ are two distinct interview processes. If You get II from MN , you may or may not get II from AZ and vice versa ? Each school evaluates independently ?

They definitely are. I only applied to MN but most of my class applied to both to randok amounts of success and failure. Some were swiftly rejected from AZ but are here with me in MN.

For anyone who has stayed in/booked rooms with either of the 2 hotels in the Jacksonville (FL) campus - The Inn at Mayo Clinic, or Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches - is there a mayo clinic corporate code for getting the mayo clinic discount? Or must you call and verbally mention Mayo Clinic for them to offer you the discounted rate?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD II just now! (Minnesota) complete 7/21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got put on hold, complete 8/27. Should I take this to mean Mayo is slowly fading in the rear window, or keep my hopes up? :laugh:

On hold, LizzyM 77 OOS complete beginning of august. Is it basically a soft R?

Dear Mayo,

I love you lots, but I would love you even more if you stopped skipping me when you send out decisions! I'd love to hear from you!

Sincerely,
Sagebrush

Reactions: 5 users
Dear Mayo,

I love you lots, but I would love you even more if you stopped skipping me when you send out decisions! I'd love to hear from you!

Sincerely,
Sagebrush

I feel you i was complete 7/24 and nothing though i put the 2/2 program as my number 1 choice so i wondered if that delayed things

Dear Mayo,

Sincerely,
Sagebrush
I was defeated in two reject waves already. Taking no news as good news lol.

I was defeated in two reject waves already. Taking no news as good news lol.
I've just been sitting on no news from 2 schools (Mayo included) that I'm super interested in, so I'm starting to feel a little defeated! That and the rejection from Mayo AZ sort of killed my hope that I'd get an interview at Mayo MN :p so I feel like I'm just waiting around for a rejection!

I've just been sitting on no news from 2 schools (Mayo included) that I'm super interested in, so I'm starting to feel a little defeated! That and the rejection from Mayo AZ sort of killed my hope that I'd get an interview at Mayo MN :p so I feel like I'm just waiting around for a rejection!
The correlation between AZ and MN acceptances seems to be quite modest lol

The correlation between AZ and MN acceptances seems to be quite modest lol
Ive had a strong positive correlation lol. Silence from both but complete end of July/early August

For anyone who has stayed in/booked rooms with either of the 2 hotels in the Jacksonville (FL) campus - The Inn at Mayo Clinic, or Courtyard by Marriott Jacksonville Mayo Clinic/Beaches - is there a mayo clinic corporate code for getting the mayo clinic discount? Or must you call and verbally mention Mayo Clinic for them to offer you the discounted rate?

Hey! I'm currently at the Kahler grand and it's 69 dollars. I called and mentioned it was for an interview and they gave me the more expensive price (so ask for the cheapest option!) The room is fine. Super close to Mayo and literally connected by the "Subway" which is just a bunch of underground tunnels to protect people from the weather haha. The interview is held in a separate building though.

They also ask for a copy of the interview letter which I just printed at the hotel.

Good luck!

I was complete 8/6 and still haven't heard anything. Can't tell if its a good thing or if it's impending a flat-out rejection instead of a hold.
Anyone in the same boat?

I was complete 8/6 and still haven't heard anything. Can't tell if its a good thing or if it's impending a flat-out rejection instead of a hold.
Anyone in the same boat?
Same but 7/14

Hello,

I have been getting conflicting answers but I heard Mayo changed its prescreening cutoffs, could someone confirm? Thanks!

Hi! For the past two years classes, the GPA has ranged from 2.2 - 4.0 and MCAT percentiles have ranged from 75% to 100%. The basic screen cuts off at the 70% percentile. Then, there is an eyes-on screen, where a reviewer looks at your application holistically. If you have a lower GPA or MCAT, but a beautiful story that shows character, grit, resilience, etc., you may still be offered an interview. If you have really high scores, they like for you to have a bit of a story as well. After the basic 70% screen, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine reviews you holistically.

Hi! For the past two years classes, the GPA has ranged from 2.2 - 4.0 and MCAT percentiles have ranged from 75% to 100%. The basic screen cuts off at the 70% percentile. Then, there is an eyes-on screen, where a reviewer looks at your application holistically. If you have a lower GPA or MCAT, but a beautiful story that shows character, grit, resilience, etc., you may still be offered an interview. If you have really high scores, they like for you to have a bit of a story as well. After the basic 70% screen, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine reviews you holistically.
I remember reading on one of these threads that mayo got rid of their hard stat screen after the dean met with current students at the time cause they were missing a lot of qualified applicants who may not have made the cut. Thus there was a lower star screen like 500/3. Is that not accurate anymore?

I remember reading on one of these threads that mayo got rid of their hard stat screen after the dean met with current students at the time cause they were missing a lot of qualified applicants who may not have made the cut. Thus there was a lower star screen like 500/3. Is that not accurate anymore?
Maybe, but man would you have to stand out to get an II with a 500.

too late to apply here? My dad was watching something on TV about mayo and I told him I cut them from my list but he said I should apply. Dont have the essays done at all tho

For those who recently scheduled an interview in Jacksonville, FL, what was the earliest available day?

For those who recently scheduled an interview in Jacksonville, FL, what was the earliest available day?
what was it for you. I wonder how many they interview if they only matriculate 8-12

For anyone who is staying at a hotel in jacksonville for their 2+2 interview, which hotel did you pick, and have you managed to get a discount?