2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other ED peeps counting down the days until the final decision!? :shrug::shrug::eyebrow:+pity+
I have been obsessively reading about the ED timeline from last year and replaying my interview day over in my head....

Same, but it's best to just realize that there's nothing we can do now but distract ourselves and wait!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just got my II! Anyone else only seeing one date? I'm going to be out of town that day so I'm freaking out a little! Hopefully they'll have more soon?

* resolved

More dates are available now. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got an II yesterday! So excited because Mercer is my #1 choice!

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have an idea how late they may call/if they call tomorrow as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Same here peazy I received the call about 4 hours ago when I got the green light for ED.

Anybody have an idea how late they may call/if they call tomorrow as well?
I've had friends in previous cycles tell me that it completely depends on the interviewer. Some call right after the adcom meeting, some email later that night, and some don't even contact you, and you just get the congratulations email the next morning. Weird process, but I believe everyone should get an email about their status by the end of today, but I'm not 100% sure

Got the call around 6:50pm last night!! 2nd time around, it's a grueling process, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to everyone!!!

Does anyone know if Mercer has an MD/MPH program? I don't see it on their website. I know they offer MPHs but cannot find any information on how they structure it.

I've had friends in previous cycles tell me that it completely depends on the interviewer. Some call right after the adcom meeting, some email later that night, and some don't even contact you, and you just get the congratulations email the next morning. Weird process, but I believe everyone should get an email about their status by the end of today, but I'm not 100% sure
I got the email this morning! Wohoo! I'm so pumped. Any idea how to submit campus requests?

Edit: Nevermind! They just emailed me back with an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I haven't gotten a call or an email yet. I know the deadline to let us know is the 30th which is a Sunday so when should I expect some type of answer? I really want to call or email to find out but I feel like it isn't good news since I haven't gotten anything. I know several people who got calls yesterday. Feeling kind of disheartened.

Congratulations to all those accepted!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten a call or an email yet. I know the deadline to let us know is the 30th which is a Sunday so when should I expect some type or answer? I really want to call or email to find out but I feel like it isn't good news since I haven't gotten anything. I know several people who got calls yesterday. Feeling kind of disheartened.

Same here

I got the email this morning! Wohoo! I'm so pumped. Any idea how to submit campus requests?

Edit: Nevermind! They just emailed me back with an answer.

What was the answer to that question?

I haven't gotten a call or an email yet. I know the deadline to let us know is the 30th which is a Sunday so when should I expect some type or answer? I really want to call or email to find out but I feel like it isn't good news since I haven't gotten anything. I know several people who got calls yesterday. Feeling kind of disheartened.

Me either

Deferred from ED to RD unfortunately... I know it's not the end of the world but it sure is extremely disappointing

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, everyone! Congratulations to everyone accepted, and best of luck to all who were deferred to RD. I have been lurking on SDN without an account for literally years, but I finally joined. I applied ED, interviewed in Savannah on 9/11, and received my acceptances via phone yesterday and via email this morning. Looking forward to having many of y'all as classmates!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! I look forward to seeing you all as classmates next year!

I got a call on Wednesday night for ED acceptance! I feel very lucky and happy to have this finally confirmed! I can't wait to meet my classmates! I'll be choosing the Savannah campus. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats to all that were accepted! I was deferred from ED to RD, unfortunately. Since we are almost in October does anyone have advice as to how to go about applying to other schools. I feel like its too late for any real consideration.... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats to all that were accepted! I was deferred from ED to RD, unfortunately. Since we are almost in October does anyone have advice as to how to go about applying to other schools. I feel like its too late for any real consideration.... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would use statistics from MSAR for those schools accept alot of out of state applicants. Plus look at other threads to see if a large amount of interviews have been given out. For instance, Wayne State has given out about 350/1000 interviews so the likely hood if getting one there this late might be low. Also, ask some of the ADCOMS like goro or gyngyn. Some schools interview late! Make sure you apply to Augusta (in state preference). If interested apply to osteopathic schools as well. There is one (PCOM) in Suwanee, a suburb of Atlanta. Good Luck!

Sorry to hear that, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel! Last cycle, I had a friend who applied to Mercer ED, got deferred to RD, sent in his secondaries to other GA schools a week later, and interviewed and eventually got accepted to MCG! So definitely focus on getting those apps out to other schools ASAP.

Sorry to hear that, but there is always a light at the end of the tunnel! Last cycle, I had a friend who applied to Mercer ED, got deferred to RD, sent in his secondaries to other GA schools a week later, and interviewed and eventually got accepted to MCG! So definitely focus on getting those apps out to other schools ASAP.
I wonder, did your friend end up getting in Mercer? I ask because from what I've heard almost all ED folks end up eventually getting in even if it is months later.

I wonder, did your friend end up getting in Mercer? I ask because from what I've heard almost all ED folks end up eventually getting in even if it is months later.
I don't think he did, but that could be due to a lot of reasons :shrug:

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share the news that I got that magic call on Wednesday night as well and have been accepted!!! After so many years of working to get to this point, I don't think the reality has fully hit me yet! I am beyond pumped and excited to be getting to know the friendly folks from these forums!

I'm a non-trad and was a reapplicant this year, so my heart goes out to those in a similar situation or who didn't get the initial ED acceptance. But according to their latest matriculation data (2017 entering year), 51 out of the 58 ED applicants were ultimately offered even if they didn't get in on the first round. I wish the best of luck and success to everyone else still in the process!

Pick some schools you think you have the best chance with and go ahead and apply. Complete your secondaries promptly but very thoughtfully. Many schools will continue to interview through March. You still have a chance with others as well as here.

It's also time to self reflect and come up with your top reasons you believe you were not accepted initially. Use this info to grow yourself more attractive to all the schools including Mercer. If you think your interview skills could have been better, practice and get feedback before you're next one.

Don't worry too much, I have had multiple friends get deferred from ED to RD and still get into DO and MD schools that same cycle even though it was later in the application season. Had a good friend get deferred ED to RD from Mercer last year and got into MCG even though their application wasn't sent to MCG until October.

I just want to second what Dseifer pointed out. Just because you were deferred does not mean you won't get accepted at a later meeting. Statistically your chances are still quite good. Just hang in there!

Have any of you all who were admitted gotten the official acceptance packet, yet? Still nothing in my inbox. Just want to make sure that I’m not alone so that I don’t prematurely pester the admissions office, as I will launch myself into the sun if I end up not getting my preferred campus due to some email error.

Have any of you all who were admitted gotten the official acceptance packet, yet? Still nothing in my inbox. Just want to make sure that I’m not alone so that I don’t prematurely pester the admissions office, as I will launch myself into the sun if I end up not getting my preferred campus due to some email error.

Just got the packet this afternoon! Anyone know if agreeing to this statement below binds you to practice in medically underserved georgia?

"I accept this offer of a position in the Class of 2023 at Mercer University School of Medicine and thereby acknowledge my agreement to comply with the Student Code of Honor and Professional Conduct, the Technical Standards for Medical School Admissions and to practice in Georgia in a medically underserved area in one of the specialties approved by the Board of Governors."

I received the email packet this morning. The pdf for campus selection states that it is a fillable pdf, but I have opened it on two different computers and sent it to someone else to double check me, and they said that they were unable to edit it either. I want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I email asking them if I can fill it out neatly with a pen and then scan it to send in. Is there a way to change it from unfillable to fillable with a few clicks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just got the packet this afternoon! Anyone know if agreeing to this statement below binds you to practice in medically underserved georgia?

"I accept this offer of a position in the Class of 2023 at Mercer University School of Medicine and thereby acknowledge my agreement to comply with the Student Code of Honor and Professional Conduct, the Technical Standards for Medical School Admissions and to practice in Georgia in a medically underserved area in one of the specialties approved by the Board of Governors."

Got mine as well just a few hours after I asked! Submitted my campus preference at around 6:00 pm, and I got my assignment just 20 minutes later. I'm going to be in Savannah for all 4 years!

I second your question; could any current students weigh in? I'd guess not, as I think that we are required to sign and submit that form in order to formally accept our place in the class, and lots of Mercer graduates don't go on to practice in an underserved part of Georgia or in a core specialty.

I received the email packet this morning. The pdf for campus selection states that it is a fillable pdf, but I have opened it on two different computers and sent it to someone else to double check me, and they said that they were unable to edit it either. I want to make sure I'm not going crazy before I email asking them if I can fill it out neatly with a pen and then scan it to send in. Is there a way to change it from unfillable to fillable with a few clicks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mine was definitely fillable, so you should probably email the admissions office. Your ability to convert it to a fillable pdf will probably depend on the program that you're using. I think there's a google chrome extension that can do that. If I were you, though, I'd just contact the admissions office, honestly.

I opened it on my MacBook and just clicked exactly where I needed to fill blanks. Any idea how we are supposed to submit the campus selection pdf after we have filled it out? Do we just e-mail it to the admissions office?

I opened it on my MacBook and just clicked exactly where I needed to fill blanks. Any idea how we are supposed to submit the campus selection pdf after we have filled it out? Do we just e-mail it to the admissions office?

Yup! I think there are instructions on the sheet itself, but you just email it to the admissions office with the subject line "Campus Preference Request".

I'm not sure about legally binding, but it was mentioned to us by the
Got mine as well just a few hours after I asked! Submitted my campus preference at around 6:00 pm, and I got my assignment just 20 minutes later. I'm going to be in Savannah for all 4 years!

I second your question; could any current students weigh in? I'd guess not, as I think that we are required to sign and submit that form in order to formally accept our place in the class, and lots of Mercer graduates don't go on to practice in an underserved part of Georgia or in a core specialty.

Mine was definitely fillable, so you should probably email the admissions office. Your ability to convert it to a fillable pdf will probably depend on the program that you're using. I think there's a google chrome extension that can do that. If I were you, though, I'd just contact the admissions office, honestly.

Thanks for the help! I had tried using a google chrome extension earlier in the day only to find out you had to pay for it, but after a more thorough search just now, I found a free one. That made the job quick, easy, and painless! My request has officially been submitted.

You definitely are not required to serve in rural Georgia. It's just a core part of Mercer's mission and a lot of students who go there do so because it is a mission they connect with. However, they will never tell you you can't practice in urban atlanta or go into orthopedics or something. they will gladly help you get to where you need to go no matter what. Their main goal is to pop out quality physicians into the world.

Received an II yesterday!!!

II received yesterday! For those of you who were only offered one interview day, how did you remedy the situation? Only offered one day for myself and can’t make it.

You'll definitely get your preferred campus... only people who get accepted super late in the cycle may not

You'll definitely get your preferred campus... only people who get accepted super late in the cycle may not

Yup! I received a confirmation 20 minutes after I submitted the form; I don't think anyone has ever responded to one of my emails that swiftly lol.

Potentially dumb question: how is everyone submitting that extra form (the one titled "Georgia Release" or whatever) that we have to submit for our background check? Unless I missed something, there aren't specific instructions for doing so on the sheet itself. I was thinking about sending mine via snail mail. If I remember correctly, the online portal told us to fax the sheet to the number listed on it, but that means that I actually have to go find a fax machine somewhere and then learn how to use it...

II received yesterday! For those of you who were only offered one interview day, how did you remedy the situation? Only offered one day for myself and can’t make it.

Congratulations! When were you complete?

Yes
Yup! I received a confirmation 20 minutes after I submitted the form; I don't think anyone has ever responded to one of my emails that swiftly lol.

Potentially dumb question: how is everyone submitting that extra form (the one titled "Georgia Release" or whatever) that we have to submit for our background check? Unless I missed something, there aren't specific instructions for doing so on the sheet itself. I was thinking about sending mine via snail mail. If I remember correctly, the online portal told us to fax the sheet to the number listed on it, but that means that I actually have to go find a fax machine somewhere and then learn how to use it...
you must fax the background release document in. I had to go somewhere that sent off faxes. The rest can be emailed except for the acceptance form that was mailed in

What sheet are you talking about? I was never prompted to submit any sheet to do the background check and I haven't seen any form that says "Georgia release"

What sheet are you talking about? I was never prompted to submit any sheet to do the background check and I haven't seen any form that says "Georgia release"

It's on the actual background check website! There's a link you click to download the form.

Call and talk to admissions! They should be able to work something out with you.

What's going on guys! Interviewed on 9/27 in Savannah and now cautiously awaiting the decision! I looked at last years thread about when they met and when to expect acceptances, does anyone know if this is the same case for this cycle?? If anyone has any info about the first Adcom meeting, how many get accepted each month, etc. please let me know! best of luck to everyone!!!

Last edited: