2018-2019 Mercer University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG got my acceptance around 9:45 this morning! So excited! Interviewed at Macon on Oct 9! Hopefully others are getting their acceptances too.

I am so eager, I interviewed in Savannah on the same day and haven't heard anything yet

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the "point of no return" is in terms of being 100% committed to Mercer when accepting the offer? It is really early so I do not want to accidentally fully commit so early in this process.

Does anyone know what the "point of no return" is in terms of being 100% committed to Mercer when accepting the offer? It is really early so I do not want to accidentally fully commit so early in this process.
Yeah, man. Just don't accidentally sit down at orientation and start attending your first class and you'll be fine!

Edit: For the record, I would advise using "plan to enroll" on the tool that AMCAS will be releasing. "Commit" would show a school (and other schools) you plan to commit to that school. I think we should try to be transparent to schools using this tool since the acceptance reports are not available. I'm not sure when the tool will be release but I remember admissions offices telling me they really appreciated if we used the tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From what I was told from a reliable source is that the “accepting offer” is simply procedural and not a complete committal to attend. As in you could pay your deposit fill out paperwork etc and then come whenever if you get in to another school you prefer or change your mind day before classes start you can all that happens is you lose your deposit. Now what I DONT know is how the new AAMC tool will come into play as far as all that. But you can absolutely accept the offer pay your deposit then change your mind later on. It’s still your prerogative and YOUR decision!

I’ll be going to Savannah next fall

Just for you guys thats been trying to figure out timelines, let me give you mine. Secondary was submitted to MUSM on August 3rd at 9 AM and received my II on August 7th at 6am lol. I then scheduled my interview for the first week of interviews being the week of the August 20th. On September 26th I then received my ED acceptance. Im going to attend the Savannah Campus also, It was a true postgrad school feeling. I loved Macon's faculty but as I was told the faculty are really split 50/50 on each campus and sometimes the lecturers will rotate weeks in either location so if you like one professor in particular you can still see him/her on your "home" campus. I have toured both campuses and both are great, but the scenery of Savannah has Macon beat by a long shot haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I found the area on the portal to accept and pay deposit. I interviewed at several other schools and am waiting to hear from them as well. If I “accept” the offer and pay the deposit is that ultimately binding meaning I cannot accept at another school if offered there as well? Or is this more procedural etc?

Deposits are not binding unless this was early decision program. It is merely the school's way of making you go ahead and give them an answer and make sure you are at least somewhat serious. The worst that can happen is you forfeit your deposit to a school. (Unless you signed some other kind of agreement...)

From what I was told from a reliable source is that the “accepting offer” is simply procedural and not a complete committal to attend. As in you could pay your deposit fill out paperwork etc and then come whenever if you get in to another school you prefer or change your mind day before classes start you can all that happens is you lose your deposit. Now what I DONT know is how the new AAMC tool will come into play as far as all that. But you can absolutely accept the offer pay your deposit then change your mind later on. It’s still your prerogative and YOUR decision!

I’ll be going to Savannah next fall
Sounds good, thank you! I will be visiting Macon this week after interviewing in Savannah. I am from Atlanta so I am gonna give Macon a fair shot, but I really did love Savannah. I went to a large undergrad SEC school so I kinda don't want to be on another college campus but I will definitely give it a fair shot before I make a choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds good, thank you! I will be visiting Macon this week after interviewing in Savannah. I am from Atlanta so I am gonna give Macon a fair shot, but I really did love Savannah. I went to a large undergrad SEC school so I kinda don't want to be on another college campus but I will definitely give it a fair shot before I make a choice.
I initially thought I would want to be in Savannah but interviewed in Macon and realized how little time I’d have outside of the classroom. One of the ambassadors said they loved being close to friends and family for the time off they did have and Macon moved ahead for me! I definitely need to tour Savannah as well though.

Hey all- I submitted back in mid August but I haven't heard back yet. Anyone else in the same boat?

I initially thought I would want to be in Savannah but interviewed in Macon and realized how little time I’d have outside of the classroom. One of the ambassadors said they loved being close to friends and family for the time off they did have and Macon moved ahead for me! I definitely need to tour Savannah as well though.
Macon isn’t bad but having a family Savannah seems like a better community with other opportunities in the areas surrounding whereas Macon is literally the school and nothing else. But at the end of the day the goal is to study and pass boards which can be accomplished at both campuses!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent in campus preference form and received confirmation I'll be in Savannah for all 4 years. House search now begins. Staff at the school was very helpful with information on living in Savannah. Plan on meeting with a real estate agent in near future to learn more about the area. Also working on Navy HPSP and NHSC Scholarship along with Governor Deal Scholarship. Plan on PC-ACT Program at Mercer to complete MD in 3 years but have to complete first semester before applying.

When are you visiting Macon?

Hi everyone. I have an interview on the second week of November. I am extremely nervous. Here for any tips, motivational words, etc.

Also, if the committee gives responses on the 3rd Thursday of the month, what’s the likelihood I’d hear back about my status a week after my interview? Anyone know?

Hi everyone. I have an interview on the second week of November. I am extremely nervous. Here for any tips, motivational words, etc.

Also, if the committee gives responses on the 3rd Thursday of the month, what’s the likelihood I’d hear back about my status a week after my interview? Anyone know?
You will do great, Mercer is a friendly environment. They are not trying to trick you or trip you up. Just be yourself. Both you and the school will know if you are a good fit. Not doing any favors to yourself if you try to be somebody your not. At the same time be sure you know the schools mission and goals. Read the school website over the day before your interview so it is fresh in your mind. Watch some YouTube videos on med school interview tips. Do whatever you do to relax the day or night before. Show your true self and be honest - all will work out in the end. Good luck!

You have a good chance of hearing back on the third Wednesday the week after your interview. They make decisions on a rolling basis. If not, you will be carried over to the next monthly adcom meeting.

You will do great, Mercer is a friendly environment. They are not trying to trick you or trip you up. Just be yourself. Both you and the school will know if you are a good fit. Not doing any favors to yourself if you try to be somebody your not. At the same time be sure you know the schools mission and goals. Read the school website over the day before your interview so it is fresh in your mind. Watch some YouTube videos on med school interview tips. Do whatever you do to relax the day or night before. Show your true self and be honest - all will work out in the end. Good luck!

You have a good chance of hearing back on the third Wednesday the week after your interview. They make decisions on a rolling basis. If not, you will be carried over to the next monthly adcom meeting.

Thanks for all the great advice! I’m super excited and Hoping for the best!!

loved Macon's faculty but as I was told the faculty are really split 50/50 on each campus and sometimes the lecturers will rotate weeks in either location so if you like one professor in particular you can still see him/her on your "home" campus.
This is true about the faculty being a roughly 50/50 split. I'm an M1 at the Savannah campus and expected the majority of our lectures to be broadcast from the "main campus" in Macon (or should I say "sessions" because this school doesn't really have lectures with rare exception). I've been surprised at how many of our lectures are actually based in Savannah and broadcast to the Macon campus rather than the other way around. Being at the Savannah campus can be so weird because it's so little known that it exists that most people in the community have no clue Savannah even has a medical school, yet it's not like we're treated as a satellite campus by any means. I'd actually say we have a good number of advantages over the Macon campus here.

This is true about the faculty being a roughly 50/50 split. I'm an M1 at the Savannah campus and expected the majority of our lectures to be broadcast from the "main campus" in Macon (or should I say "sessions" because this school doesn't really have lectures with rare exception). I've been surprised at how many of our lectures are actually based in Savannah and broadcast to the Macon campus rather than the other way around. Being at the Savannah campus can be so weird because it's so little known that it exists that most people in the community have no clue Savannah even has a medical school, yet it's not like we're treated as a satellite campus by any means. I'd actually say we have a good number of advantages over the Macon campus here.
Could you say what those advantages are in your opinion? I’ll be moving my wife and three kids to Savannah next summer to start my M1 year

Could you say what those advantages are in your opinion? I’ll be moving my wife and three kids to Savannah next summer to start my M1 year
Oh, I was mostly referencing advantages the actual campus has, although I would imagine Savannah has more to offer overall than Macon (not really familiar with the area to be honest). Our building is newer, and while I've never seen the tutoring rooms where PBL sessions take place in Macon, I've heard they just have tiny slits for windows, whereas our rooms have nice, big windows that let in plenty of ambient light. I'm not sure if this issue has been corrected, but it was brought up earlier in the year that Macon was having issues with seating availability in certain spaces so that some students had to just sit in chairs with their laptops in their laps. We also have a lot of brilliant faculty members in Savannah who we're lucky to have, though of course Macon has a lot of great faculty as well. The more "real life" feel of the Savannah campus is a plus for me personally compared to the more collegiate atmosphere at the Macon campus. Conversely, the Macon students enjoy access to a lot of things we don't have since we're not part of a larger college campus like they are. It really just depends on your personality and preferences which will be better for you, but I couldn't imagine spending 4 years at the Macon campus personally. Too much of an undergrad feel that I was eager to get away from.

Oh, I was mostly referencing advantages the actual campus has, although I would imagine Savannah has more to offer overall than Macon (not really familiar with the area to be honest). Our building is newer, and while I've never seen the tutoring rooms where PBL sessions take place in Macon, I've heard they just have tiny slits for windows, whereas our rooms have nice, big windows that let in plenty of ambient light. I'm not sure if this issue has been corrected, but it was brought up earlier in the year that Macon was having issues with seating availability in certain spaces so that some students had to just sit in chairs with their laptops in their laps. We also have a lot of brilliant faculty members in Savannah who we're lucky to have, though of course Macon has a lot of great faculty as well. The more "real life" feel of the Savannah campus is a plus for me personally compared to the more collegiate atmosphere at the Macon campus. Conversely, the Macon students enjoy access to a lot of things we don't have since we're not part of a larger college campus like they are. It really just depends on your personality and preferences which will be better for you, but I couldn't imagine spending 4 years at the Macon campus personally. Too much of an undergrad feel that I was eager to get away from.
That’s awesome.
Oh ok I got ya. I’ve got some friends at Macon campus and I’ve toured both and noticed similar things you mentioned.

Can anyone in year 1 and 2 speak about the amount of free time they have as a med student at Mercer? I know with the PBL curriculum the student may have to study more, and considering I have a family I just want to prepare myself for the time commitment. Thanks!

Visited Macon on Thursday and I really think Savannah is the superior campus in terms of facilities, access to hospital, area around the school. I really liked the layout of the Savannah campus where it seemed to offer ample space for all of its students to study as a group or independently. I think personal experience and preference will ultimately lead to those wanting the campus feel or being closer to family. I am from Atlanta so I know Macon will be a lot closer, but i really was just looking at the facilities as I plan on staying at the school to get all my studying done and head back home when finished, like being on the clock for a job. I want to pick the facility that I will be more comfortable for staying a vast majority of the day at. In the end, a 3hr 45 min drive is still very manageable to head home on breaks and after major exams. I believe that I will be going with Savannah after visiting Macon.

Can anyone in year 1 and 2 speak about the amount of free time they have as a med student at Mercer? I know with the PBL curriculum the student may have to study more, and considering I have a family I just want to prepare myself for the time commitment. Thanks!
I know this is a complete non-answer, but you'll hear very different answers from different students. Personally, I'm a slow reader and slow memorizer, and I find that I have very little free time. Every minute that I spend not working through the syllabus feels like a sacrifice. A lot of my classmates go out seemingly every weekend, though! It depends on how efficient of a studier you are and, I would say, how much prior knowledge you come in with. I was a humanities major, so I'm seeing a lot of this material for the first time. I will say to be prepared to spend a lot of time in mandatory lectures/sessions/various other scheduled things, especially first semester since anatomy lab can be so time-consuming. We don't have traditional lectures here, but we do have a lot of team-based learning sessions, medical practice practice sessions (not a typo...the class is called med practice, and we have scheduled practices for med practice lol) and practicums, and other things scheduled that take up a lot of time.

While I am not in medical school yet, common consensus from most medical schools is that it will eat up a lot of your time, but it really comes down to how efficient you are with studying and mastering material. You have an obligation to your family so obviously you must make time for them. If you can make a schedule of when you are supposed to study and efficiently follow it, you can still have a life outside of medical school. Life won't stop when you are going through Med school and if you put the effort in, you should still have plenty of time for family. Certainly less free time to do whatever than college, but it is manageable.

Lol at tiny slits for windows... tbh my tutor room doesn't even have any windows. There's no issue of seating in the PBL rooms, but in the TBL room it's first come first serve... usually like 10 people have to sit in a chair in the back

I go really hard M-F, but I try to make my weekends as free as possible to have time to spend with my boyfriend since that's the only time I get to see him since he lives an hour and a half away. Plus it's really important to me to have time away from school related things. I've done a lot of things since school started... for example Beyonce/Jay-Z concert in August, Music Midtown in September, the beach a couple weeks ago, and I went to the Giants/Falcons game last Monday. And I'm still more than passing, and I'm definitely not an extraordinary student. I'm pretty average.

Reactions: 4 users
So, since the third Wednesday of the month is the day before Thanksgiving, do we think the committee will meet the prior Wednesday (11/14) instead?

Aside from small-group learning and large group learning, what are the mandatory requirements?

I was told that the mandatory community service project is no longer required for the incoming class. A new curriculum involving biostats and epidemiology will replace the curriculum. Do any current students know about this?

For the community medicine requirement, can we choose what part of Georgia we practice in?

Aside from small-group learning and large group learning, what are the mandatory requirements?

I was told that the mandatory community service project is no longer required for the incoming class. A new curriculum involving biostats and epidemiology will replace the curriculum. Do any current students know about this?

For the community medicine requirement, can we choose what part of Georgia we practice in?

You have med practice, which is where you'll learn clinical skills, anatomy lab, and PHMR (Population Health and Medical Research), which is the class that you're referring to in the new curriculum. You do not choose what part of Georgia you practice in, but they try to match you somewhere close to where you'd have housing. I hope this makes sense, I can clarify whatever I need to :)

Reactions: 3 users
You have med practice, which is where you'll learn clinical skills, anatomy lab, and PHMR (Population Health and Medical Research), which is the class that you're referring to in the new curriculum. You do not choose what part of Georgia you practice in, but they try to match you somewhere close to where you'd have housing. I hope this makes sense, I can clarify whatever I need to :)
How long does this project last where you have to go to an area in the state?

How long does this project last where you have to go to an area in the state?
From what I understood, you do work for several parts of your med school career in years 1, 2, and 4. You spend approximately 2 weeks in the area during that time. Here's the link to more info: https://medicine.mercer.edu/community/curriculum/

The campus rep that we were with shared they try to place you near where you have a place to stay and are very accommodating to individual circumstances (family, etc.).

lolol I just realized I didn't know what the MR in PHMR even stood for since everyone just calls it "femur" or "population health." Makes sense :p

I know it’s kind of been answered before but I have an interview on the Savannah campus next week. I’m super nervous any advice or tips besides knowing and standing by the schools mission?

Last edited:
I know it’s kind of been answered before but I have an interview on the Savannah campus next week. I’m super nervous any advice or tips besides knowing and standing by the schools mission?
The tried and true “be yourself” is the biggest I felt for my interview. Yes know the mission and know your application inside and out but bigger than that just relax and communicate your story. They’ve seen your academics this is about you. Mine was very conversational and enjoyable. Smile and be proud of the fact you have an opportunity that not many students ever get. Good luck!

Really worried because haven't gotten an II invite yet...was really hoping for one by now because I'm a GA resident :/

Really worried because haven't gotten an II invite yet...was really hoping for one by now because I'm a GA resident :/

I'm also a GA resident. I haven't heard back from Mercer yet. I was complete mid August.

The tried and true “be yourself” is the biggest I felt for my interview. Yes know the mission and know your application inside and out but bigger than that just relax and communicate your story. They’ve seen your academics this is about you. Mine was very conversational and enjoyable. Smile and be proud of the fact you have an opportunity that not many students ever get. Good luck!

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I’m a nervous interviewer and just tend to not do well in interviews overall but I’m hoping for the best!

Hey!
I just wanted to ask you a few questions about life at Mercer! What is the Pass/Fail mark at Mercer? Have you felt overwhelmed with the amount of reading since it is an active learning class approach? and any tips for a newbie starting next year? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey!
I just wanted to ask you a few questions about life at Mercer! What is the Pass/Fail mark at Mercer? Have you felt overwhelmed with the amount of reading since it is an active learning class approach? and any tips for a newbie starting next year? Thank you!

Hi! The pass/fail mark is different with every test. They use an algorithm based on everyone’s performance, but the mark is always very reasonable. I definitely have felt overwhelmed at times, but mainly when doing topics that I’ve had no prior exposure to. It’s 100% manageable. My tips would be to do what works for you and don’t get too caught up in how others study. Personally, I love using outside sources and videos. I currently use boards and beyond, sketchy medical, pathoma, along with certain videos on YouTube. I tried to do anki, but I couldn’t keep up with it tbh lol. I’ll try again next semester. My advice would be to not buy any outside resources until you get to school.

Hopefully this helps, I’ll be happy to answer anything else or provide further clarification

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Call from AdCom at 5:40 tonight!! Officially going to be a doctor

Reactions: 9 users
Any idea when they are done for the night?
No idea but don’t fret, some people got phone calls around 5:30 I got an email from my interviewer around 8:30 the night of and some people I’ve heard didn’t get anything until the official email came next day.

I also got an email tonight at 5:45!! I’m going to be a doctor!!! Interviewed 11/6!! So excited!!!

Reactions: 5 users