2018-2019 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the contact info for sending in update letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Those accepted congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted. Got the email at 5:28pm (although abroad right now, so who knows if thats the right time zone or if they called)

3.0X ugpa, 516 mcat, 3.5X smp gpa. Complete late sept, interviewed 1/24. Applied 4x post-SMP, FINALLY got one. So overwhelmed with emotions that I literally can not process them.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/24 and accepted today, 2/8! I was put on a pre-interview hold way back in September and received an invitation to interview over three months later. For anyone else who was put on a pre-interview hold, there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Interviewed 1/24.
Any thoughts on Nova vs. DMU??? Pls help

I’m an M2 here. When it was my time to make this decision, I struggled on DMU vs NSU until the very last day I could. In the end, geography won out. It wasn’t that I was scared to leave Florida/my family as I was already living hours away from them and 31 years old. And I actually enjoyed my extended weekend in Des Moines. BUT, looking forward to my life I knew I wanted to stay in Florida for residency ideally but definitely for practice and life. So I wanted to learn Florida healthcare, Florida laws, Florida resources, Florida problems, Florida connections, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know where I can find the academic schedule?

I’m an M2 here. When it was my time to make this decision, I struggled on DMU vs NSU until the very last day I could. In the end, geography won out. It wasn’t that I was scared to leave Florida/my family as I was already living hours away from them and 31 years old. And I actually enjoyed my extended weekend in Des Moines. BUT, looking forward to my life I knew I wanted to stay in Florida for residency ideally but definitely for practice and life. So I wanted to learn Florida healthcare, Florida laws, Florida resources, Florida problems, Florida connections, etc.

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I’m not from Iowa or Florida so I’m still stuck. A few people in this thread have mentioned issues that they have with Nova so I was wondering if you (or any other current students in this thread) would be able to share any issues you have with the school. Two big differences that I see between Nova and DMU are the COMLEX pass rate and residency match rate (with Nova’s being fairly lower). Would anyone be able to comment on this??

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I’m not from Iowa or Florida so I’m still stuck. A few people in this thread have mentioned issues that they have with Nova so I was wondering if you (or any other current students in this thread) would be able to share any issues you have with the school. Two big differences that I see between Nova and DMU are the COMLEX pass rate and residency match rate (with Nova’s being fairly lower). Would anyone be able to comment on this??

It’s hard to extrapolate on that. I know in my year the incoming stats at DMU were significantly higher so they could just already be better test takers which leads to higher scores which leads to higher match rate... or not. It’s so hard to know. Also maybe their match rate is higher because people are either from that area or apply to residency in that area and residencies are less competitive in the Midwest which leads to a higher match rate... or not. Wherever you go, you have to put work in, study, and put in effort on rotations.

For those of you that have been accepted and paid your deposits, have you heard anything about financial aid? How are you going about finding an apartment? Is there anyone from Texas?

For current students, when did you hear about financial aid? How did you find your apartment? Do they send out a "school supply list?" When is the white coat ceremony?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have been accepted and paid your deposits, have you heard anything about financial aid? How are you going about finding an apartment? Is there anyone from Texas?

For current students, when did you hear about financial aid? How did you find your apartment? Do they send out a "school supply list?" When is the white coat ceremony?

Hey! We haven’t heard anything yet regarding financial aid or anything else. We should be getting more information sometimes around March/April

Interviewed 1/24 and accepted today, 2/8! I was put on a pre-interview hold way back in September and received an invitation to interview over three months later. For anyone else who was put on a pre-interview hold, there is still hope!

How did you know you were put on pre-interview hold? I called to check my status but they did not provide me with any updates. Thanks

I believe last year the white coat ceremony was at the very end of July. Classes should start in August. Someone correct me if I’m providing fake news tho

How do I sign up for a student email account, etc?

Have anybody on the waitlist hear back yet?
Still waiting - waitlisted back in mid November. I think I saw a few pages back that someone was accepted off the waitlist earlier in January? I may be wrong though

Heads up all July 31st will be out first day of orientation

Still waiting - waitlisted back in mid November. I think I saw a few pages back that someone was accepted off the waitlist earlier in January? I may be wrong though

I was waitlisted in January. Thought I would have gotten in because of interview day. Oh well.

They didn’t sent me a waitlist email but normal mail. Hopefully their waitlist is fast.

Heads up all July 31st will be out first day of orientation

how do you know. I called the other day and the counselor said we wouldn't start classes until late august which I thought was REALLY weird.

I was waitlisted in January. Thought I would have gotten in because of interview day. Oh well.

They didn’t sent me a waitlist email but normal mail. Hopefully their waitlist is fast.
I'm hoping once the additional Tampa/Clearwater campus opens that they will pull in a good amount off of the waitlist - fingers crossed

I'm hoping once the additional Tampa/Clearwater campus opens that they will pull in a good amount off of the waitlist - fingers crossed
it already is open. we are selecting at time of deposit

I was under the impression that it hasn't officially been opened yet but is expected to be cleared sometime in the coming months, and once it officially opens they will be able to accept additional student? Meanwhile the current accepted students are able to list their preference for campus
That is correct. It won't be officially approved until at least March.

It was approved Jan 3rd. I asked the Dean about what would happen if something happened and they couldnt open as planned.She said those designated to the Clearwater campus would just go to davie for a semester.

correction to my date, I was just told by Ms. Bell that the 29th is infact our orientstion start date and we would begin class the next week.

Called in today. Was told orientation start date is is 7/31 and that classes start immediately after. I asked what date and I believe she said 8/1.

Ok good then the other counselor must have been very mistaken then cause he even correct me when I asked if classes would start in late July

Did anyone ask about the declining board scores in their interview? This is a concern of mine. Thanks!

Yes. Dean said it was because theybwere not using comsae and thisnyear was at 93%. I am honestly not so worried about that as I am aiming for top 10%. A lot of board ia just your own prep.

How did you know you were put on pre-interview hold? I called to check my status but they did not provide me with any updates. Thanks
I received a letter back in September stating that I was a "pending candidate" or something like that, which is their way of putting you on a pre-interview hold.

Did anyone ask about the declining board scores in their interview? This is a concern of mine. Thanks!

Someone in my group asked. Some of it was related to the previous absence of COMSAE as a screen at Nova. From what I understand, everyone was just taking comlex without any kind of screen, which is not the case anymore (apologies if this is incorrect). Heard that they also went back up to 100% (unpublished for some reason...).

Have also asked the opinion of interns and former Nova students. Summary is this: Medicine is medicine, level 1 is level 1. Neither has significantly changed in years, and anyone who works hard and works smart will be fine (Nova or otherwise). If a 100% PBL curriculum (aka all self-teach) can succeed, then really it just requires you to focus and make it a priority.

Someone in my group asked. Some of it was related to the previous absence of COMSAE as a screen at Nova. From what I understand, everyone was just taking comlex without any kind of screen, which is not the case anymore (apologies if this is incorrect). Heard that they also went back up to 100% (unpublished for some reason...).

Have also asked the opinion of interns and former Nova students. Summary is this: Medicine is medicine, level 1 is level 1. Neither has significantly changed in years, and anyone who works hard and works smart will be fine (Nova or otherwise). If a 100% PBL curriculum (aka all self-teach) can succeed, then really it just requires you to focus and make it a priority.

This is basically what it is. The COMSAE is a good tool to let students know where they are in terms of board prep. Easy way to bring up scores by striking some reality into overconfident students.

This is basically what it is. The COMSAE is a good tool to let students know where they are in terms of board prep. Easy way to bring up scores by striking some reality into overconfident students.

Otherwise known as "putting the fear of god into them" :laugh:

I'm sure someone has said it in here already, but does anyone know roughly when they are gonna tell us which campus we're at?

just got an II! I feel like it must’ve been from a cancellation bc there was only one date available but idk for sure. Complete early October

If anyone has advice for the interview or a breakdown of the day i would really appreciate it!! I would look back in the thread but my laptop is broken and doing it on my phone would take me forever

If anyone has advice for the interview or a breakdown of the day i would really appreciate it!! I would look back in the thread but my laptop is broken and doing it on my phone would take me forever
you will interview in the morning. just relax and be yourself. smile and interact with those around you and know why you are interested in do and nova

just got an II! I feel like it must’ve been from a cancellation bc there was only one date available but idk for sure. Complete early October
If you don’t mind what we’re your stats?

a20e52fce3b6df1fd4b6c60871566b98.jpg