2018-2019 Ohio State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone got on the list for the application review?
my friend at school said that they were sending out openings in "waves" but the first wave is full already. I'd imagine people in the WL can't utilize this resource, right?

Members don't see this ad.

This can happen sometimes, its unusual though. Do schools normally redistribute scholarship money from those who drop their acceptances?
Yes they usually do from what I know, which is why they usually won’t give a final date for people to receive scholarship money

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes they usually do from what I know, which is why they usually won’t give a final date for people to receive scholarship money
Still holding out hope over here lol. I’m so curious as to how they choose the recipients, seems like there are a few people here with stats well above OSU’s averages that haven’t heard anything so far. Guess they can’t give scholarships out to everyone though

So are they more likely to give the new funds to those who've been recently accepted? Or would they increase scholarships for someone already awarded one(i.e increasing a scholarship from half tuition to full tuition)?

So are they more likely to give the new funds to those who've been recently accepted? Or would they increase scholarships for someone already awarded one(i.e increasing a scholarship from half tuition to full tuition)?
I think that’s a case by case basis. The financial aid director at a diff school I spoke to said that when a student with a scholarship rescinds their acceptance, that money goes back into the scholarship pool. So that could go to already accepted students or newly accepted, I would imagine.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, I suspect they're not done handing out aid. They seem to operate in waves, in all aspects - from admission to aid distribution. Based on observations from previous years on SDN, and anecdotal experience. This seems to be their approach. My wife was an OSU undergrad, LizzyM 79, and didn't get an interview until extremely late in the cycle this year. She also hasn't heard a peep about financial aid (whereas she was full-academic scholarship in OSU undergrad).

No implication of counting chickens before they've hatched, but we expect at least SOME merit aid from OSUCOM based on the aforementioned stats. Like the interview and subsequent acceptance, we expect it will simply arrive in a later wave.

Don't lose hope - many people had to wait a very long time in this process. What's a few more weeks (or months)?

For what it's worth, I suspect they're not done handing out aid. They seem to operate in waves, in all aspects - from admission to aid distribution. Based on observations from previous years on SDN, and anecdotal experience. This seems to be their approach. My wife was an OSU undergrad, LizzyM 79, and didn't get an interview until extremely late in the cycle this year. She also hasn't heard a peep about financial aid (whereas she was full-academic scholarship in OSU undergrad).

No implication of counting chickens before they've hatched, but we expect at least SOME merit aid from OSUCOM based on the aforementioned stats. Like the interview and subsequent acceptance, we expect it will simply arrive in a later wave.

Don't lose hope - many people had to wait a very long time in this process. What's a few more weeks (or months)?
I hope they aren't done handing out A's either :/

I was deferred in February and accepted last week! For those who were deferred then accepted, how long did it take to receive financial aid?

All days of the week! My friend and I were both accepted last week on different days.

I was deferred in February and accepted last week! For those who were deferred then accepted, how long did it take to receive financial aid?
+1 also accepted off of the deferred list last week, want to wait to make a decision until financial aid

Members don't see this ad :)
Can a current student please tell me what is the first and second year schedule look like for the curriculum? Thanks

From the end of second year (March 1 for us) until the deadline to take it (April 19) we have 7 weeks - and then 2 weeks of mandatory vacation before 3rd year (May 6th). You can petition them for more time if you really do need it and you can use some of those 2 weeks. We also have a 1 week of career exploration from Feb 25-Mar 1 after our last final (Feb 21) as well. After all of that, if you still need more time (not performing well, emergency comes up, etc), you can even delay starting the 1st "ring" of 3rd year (for extenuating situations) but that requires talking to administration.
Can you please tell me what is the first and second year schedule look like for the curriculum? Thanks

Can a current student please tell me what is the first and second year schedule look like for the curriculum? Thanks
Try looking up the medical student handbook on OSU’s website, then click on section 4: academic calendar

Does anyone know about the app consultation? Do they do that for everyone?

Withdrew my acceptance (from November) after getting a waitlist offer in home state. Sincerely, I hope one of you guys get it. OSU was by far my best interview experience of 6, and as a Californian I loved Columbus from arrival to departure.

Just got off the waitlist!!! Beyond excited

Reactions: 11 users
Current M2 here! Looking forward to meeting you guys next year if I didn't meet you at second look, and I've got my fingers crossed for folks on the WL.
Does anyone have the link to your class FB page? Hoping to get the apartment building I live in filled with other med students!
Happy to answer questions, too.

Current M2 here! Looking forward to meeting you guys next year if I didn't meet you at second look, and I've got my fingers crossed for folks on the WL.
Does anyone have the link to your class FB page? Hoping to get the apartment building I live in filled with other med students!
Happy to answer questions, too.
Here is the link:
OSUCOM 2023 Facebook Group

I’m still looking for an apartment so I’ll keep an eye out for your post!

Just got the call!!! Ohio here I come!! OOS, deferred since October. SO EXCITED

Reactions: 9 users

Did your wife receive financial aid yet? My wife received her acceptance a month ago, but she has not received anything yet. Thanks

Last edited:
Was accepted today after being deferred back in December!!! Literally was sitting there studying to take the mcat again when ms Georgia called :soexcited: so excited!!

Reactions: 6 users
How do you apply for financial aid? I haven’t gotten any information yet.

Accepted yesterday afternoon via email! Was deferred in February

Reactions: 2 users
Did your wife receive financial aid yet? My wife received her acceptance a month ago, but she has not received anything yet. Thanks

Nothing yet. And she can't get through to the financial aid office via phone, nor have they replied to email. Disappointed at this step, but still hopeful everything will sort itself out.

for people accepted to OSU, were any of you accepted or WLed anywhere else in Ohio? If so, did you pull your name off their lists (assuming you are not going there because honestly, lets be real, you are going to OSU lol)