2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To current students: Is it even plausibe to live in Atlanta and commute?

Members don't see this ad.

A couple people do it but be aware they are previous biomeds or lived in ATL/surronding area for most of their life. So they have a general idea when to leave or what roads to take when there is an accident.

Personally, I don't suggest it for first term. Especially now that there is mandatory attendance. You will be in class from 9-4 on most days. You may have to be in anatomy lab later if you are the type of person that needs to spend more time in lab. An extra hour commute takes out a lot of your free time.

Reactions: 1 users

Not a current student, but I have lived in the surrounding area for my whole life. You'll have a reverse commute if you live in Atlanta. It is certainly more than plausible to live in Atlanta and commute. It's more a matter of if you wanna spend that much money just to live in Atlanta and make the 40ish minute commute everyday. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but Suwanee is great town if you decide to live closer. Moderate COL, great parks, EASY and FREE parking, and Atlanta is still relatively close by if you wanna go on the weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was the type of student that heavily relied on teaching myself everything in undergraduate. When I came here and learned they had implemented the policy right as we were entering, I was initially frustrated. It did take some time to adjust my learning methods, but I eventually learned how to make attending lectures worth it. And that says a lot because I was a firm believer that I did NOT learn from lecture. Sure I don't have the freedom to procrastinate or skip every lecture, but the mandatory attendance ensures I stay on top of my game. I typically preview a lecture and try to learn everything in a superficial level for me to at least comprehend it. Then, as I'm attending the lecture, that's when things solidify. I clarify any points I need explained to the teacher in real time and pin point what the lecturer seems to focus on. Anyways, I realized 40% of your time self-studying is spent wondering what you need to focus on and trying to figure out what exactly you are reading or looking at when you look at a lecture slides or a textbook. If you're stuck, you then might end up spending more time browsing and searching for an answer that might not even be important for the exam. Trying to learn and solidly that knowledge base in lecture ensures you're not wasting time learning stuff that isn't important. It's cool because at least here they do seem pretty concerned with what is board relevant or clinical-based. You can definitely see that just based on how they center their quiz/exam questions, what they choose to cover in lecture, and how they present it and tie it to the clinical setting. Also, the mandatory attendance gives you a real unique bond with your fellow classmates. It's an interesting atmosphere. You all go through similar difficulties and challenges, and since you're all there in the same place there ends up being a collaborative place where we sort of help each other out. Seeing each other go through the same difficulties and stress makes you connect with them in such an amazing way and it sort of pushes you and makes you realize you're not alone in all the stress and work that comes with medical school.

Thanks for the answer. You mentioned previewing a lecture before class. Are we provided the PowerPoints ahead of time?

Thanks for the answer. You mentioned previewing a lecture before class. Are we provided the PowerPoints ahead of time?
Yes. It helps me a lot because I wouldn't be able to follow along with all the material unless I saw it before or understood it beforehand.

Yeah I actually commute about ~45 mins and several live in buckhead, midtown, Sandy Springs etc. I actually don’t mind it that much because I usually beat traffic in the mornings, but in the afternoons it could be rough. I love my drive though because after class I definitely like using it as a “study break” to listen to music/podcasts, things I actually look forward to doing each day. And during exam weeks I’m listening to lectures on 2x speed, and following through to the point that I actually can repeat what the prof has said. The drive feels like nothing now, and while it was an adjustment at first, I think it was the best decision for me money-wise. I still usually have time to study 5-6 hours on the weekdays by the time I get home after I take a short nap, and choose to go to the gym in the mornings. And every now and then I’ll switch up my schedule to study on campus until the traffic dies down a little. I was one who never spent more than the allotted time in anatomy lab, and preferred to just learn it all in the 3hr time period, so that helped with regards to time being saved for that. Most days my group were done early, so there were days I left campus as early as 2-3:30.

Last edited:
A question for current OOS students- how often are you able to travel to see family? Is it reasonable to take a couple days off classes every few weeks (like a 4 day weekend trip) with the 80% mandatory attendance?

A question for current OOS students- how often are you able to travel to see family? Is it reasonable to take a couple days off classes every few weeks (like a 4 day weekend trip) with the 80% mandatory attendance?
I’m not OOS, but this is definitely something that some of my friends do every now and then, especially post-exams

I am a Florida resident and live 7 hours away. This week is the first time I've been home since the semester started (about 3 months ago). I don't travel home because I don't like spending the gas money or flight money, and I typically spend the free weekend or breaks relaxing or catching up on material. I know other OOS who travel like after every exam block, but really it depends on your own circumstances. Also if you think about, 80% mandatory attendance means roughly 4/5 days each week dedicated to class. How you handle your time will depend on you yourself and how good you are with studying.

have grades improved after the mandatory attendance policy started? Wonder if that's had any positive impact.

I’m not OOS, but this is definitely something that some of my friends do every now and then, especially post-exams

I am a Florida resident and live 7 hours away. This week is the first time I've been home since the semester started (about 3 months ago). I don't travel home because I don't like spending the gas money or flight money, and I typically spend the free weekend or breaks relaxing or catching up on material. I know other OOS who travel like after every exam block, but really it depends on your own circumstances. Also if you think about, 80% mandatory attendance means roughly 4/5 days each week dedicated to class. How you handle your time will depend on you yourself and how good you are with studying.

Thanks for the responses! Another question for anyone who can answer: do we need to submit the technical standards form by a certain date if we want to save our seat but are still unsure if we will attend? I have submitted the initial deposit fee, but I'm not certain that I will eventually attend. Should I be worried about submitting the form any time soon? Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! Another question for anyone who can answer: do we need to submit the technical standards form by a certain date if we want to save our seat but are still unsure if we will attend? I have submitted the initial deposit fee, but I'm not certain that I will eventually attend. Should I be worried about submitting the form any time soon? Thanks!

I would say just go ahead and email it to them. It only take like 5-10 minutes and you woundn't want to regret forgetting to do so later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say just go ahead and email it to them. It only take like 5-10 minutes and you woundn't want to regret forgetting to do so later on.

Piggybacking off the origina question. Do you know if we can submit that form before the deposit?

Yea my question is, can we decide not to articulate even after we send it tho?

Piggybacking off the origina question. Do you know if we can submit that form before the deposit?
I'm not a 100% sure about that. On the paperwork, it asks us to submit it at the time of accepting the offer. However, I would assume there is a little bit of wiggle room.

Yea my question is, can we decide not to articulate even after we send it tho?
Yes. As far as I know, this does not lock you in.

I'm not a 100% sure about that. On the paperwork, it asks us to submit it at the time of accepting the offer. However, I would assume there is a little bit of wiggle room.

LOL matriculate* and thanks

Yes. As far as I know, this does not lock you in.

Not sure...but we are told that we are the best performing class grade-wise ever so far. So could be?

Just to expand on this, while we were told this, they moved all the embryology into the last, fourth block (before the improved performance was pointed out), so it's hard to isolate whether the improvement in grades is due to attendance policy or another factor. Furthermore, it's my understanding past years had fill in the blank type exam questions, and for at least this year professors cannot include "all of the following EXCEPT" type questions on the exam.

Just got the updated portal with the 250 and 1500 deposits at both campuses, so that means im accepted I guess?
interviewed 11/05 edit*

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, for those of you that have gotten accepted- it's just the $250 dollar deposit before December 14th right? And the technical standards document? From my understanding, the hefty $1500 isn't due until April 15, 2019. Am I correct about this? (Sorry if this is obvious, I just need to confirm completely.)

Hey guys, for those of you that have gotten accepted- it's just the $250 dollar deposit before December 14th right? And the technical standards document? From my understanding, the hefty $1500 isn't due until April 15, 2019. Am I correct about this? (Sorry if this is obvious, I just need to confirm completely.)
Correct.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Just got the letter in the mail! Interviewed 11/5. ORM, in-state, female.

I am really interested in going to PCOM, it is my dream school and i applied to both PA campus and this campus however i am IS for PA. do you think I'd be even considered for the georgia campus? i haven't heard anything from either campus yet since being complete in September.
I don't think they're picky about IS vs OOS. Though keep in mind the PA one is much more established. Also, I think the GA campus is not quite as difficult to get into, stat-wise. If no luck in PA, maybe they'd give ya some love in GA.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Just got accepted yesterday to both campuses! Anyone else see on their letter that their decision is contingent upon the completion of a biochem course? I completed one two years ago which is why I was surprised to see it there.

Hey all, first time posting on SDN. I received an interview invite this morning, but based on everything I've read, I'm debating on attending. Can anyone who has interviewed or a current student comment why I should attend? I have 2 more interviews coming up, so I'm thinking it might be best to save my $$ and pass

Hey all, first time posting on SDN. I received an interview invite this morning, but based on everything I've read, I'm debating on attending. Can anyone who has interviewed or a current student comment why I should attend? I have 2 more interviews coming up, so I'm thinking it might be best to save my $$ and pass

Lets start with what you’ve read that was worrying. I was in a similar position and people on here helped me make a decision. But we aren’t going to get anywhere with “convince me”. Also I guess the first thing to say is unless you already have an acceptance to a program you like better, it is 100% foolish to let go of an interview spot. In the long run, a few hundred dollar is play money.

Reactions: 2 users

Attend the interview, because I’ve seen way too many pass up an interview (while having had several) and actually not get in this past cycle...

Look at my previous post above on why I chose to attend here/this it was the best choice for me. You can PM me for more specifics if you want.

Attend the interview, because I’ve seen way too many pass up an interview (while having had several) and actually not get in this past cycle...

We can't dm you

Look at my previous post above on why I chose to attend here/this it was the best choice for me. You can PM me for more specifics if you want.

Has anyone who has recently been accepted get an email after submitting the technical standards form?

I made an account solely based off what a ridiculous day the second years had today. The administration has been trying their hardest to make us conform to mandatory attendace and one of our professors went as far as to walk around the class and take pictures of students on their phones (during a guest lecturer mind you), send around sign-in sheets with corresponding seat numbers, and even tried to take attendace with our clicker system. PLEASE! IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OPPORTUNITIES ANYWHERE ELSE TAKE THEM! I CHOSE PCOM-GA OVER VCOM AND AS OF RIGHT NOW IT WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!! Ive never tried so hard to just get time to study in my entire life.

Reactions: 5 users
Damn PCOM-GA does not sound fun

Got an interview for 11/30!!
Are the interviews single or group?

Current DO student.... I advise really getting a grasp of the dynamic between students and faculty, had I known more when deciding on schools I would've picked differently than PCOM Georgia. Whatever factors you're considering when interviewing, try to talk to current students if you can. You'll be thankful you received an honest opinion.

I will also second both of the recent comments by those currently attending PCOM-GA. This school and its policies are in dire need of an overhaul from student choice to faculty choice to curriculum. If you have the opportunity to go elsewhere, go there. Don't let staying in-state (unless for some major reason) make you make a poor career decision. Choosing this branch of PCOM has increasingly over the years become a huge regret for many of the students past and currently attending. However, if you do decide to attend despite the forewarning be prepared to know that you and only you will make you career dreams come true, you will have to work probably 3 times as hard as your counterparts while fighting faculty along the way who intend to make the process harder then it already is to be a medical student.

I will also second both of the recent comments by those currently attending PCOM-GA. This school and its policies are in dire need of an overhaul from student choice to faculty choice to curriculum. If you have the opportunity to go elsewhere, go there. Don't let staying in-state (unless for some major reason) make you make a poor career decision. Choosing this branch of PCOM has increasingly over the years become a huge regret for many of the students past and currently attending. However, if you do decide to attend despite the forewarning be prepared to know that you and only you will make you career dreams come true, you will have to work probably 3 times as hard as your counterparts while fighting faculty along the way who intend to make the process harder then it already is to be a medical student.
Could you provide a bit more detail about these new policies? A number of people have weighed in on the mandatory attendance policy, but I am curious about what would make attending PCOM-GA a poor career decision. I'm quite excited about applying next year, so I am eager to learn why current students are so distressed.

Could you provide a bit more detail about these new policies? A number of people have weighed in on the mandatory attendance policy, but I am curious about what would make attending PCOM-GA a poor career decision. I'm quite excited about applying next year, so I am eager to learn why current students are so distressed.

The new attendance policy is that all DO students must attend 80% of all lecture hours per course. You're allowed to only miss 20% of the lecture hours (LHs), including any excused absences. This sounds like a lot until the courses go from a course like neurology with 154+ LHs (so you can miss 30 LHs which could but like 4-6 days out of the semester depending on the schedule) to a course like endocrine with like 40 LHs ( so you can only miss 1 day out of the 2 week course). This becomes an issue when people become ill or something out of their control like a car breaking down occurs for example. The faculty has no sympathy either as excused absences are lump with your non-excused absences. The result of you not complying with the new policy results in first a formal warning for your first offense and secondly in an official report of unprofessionalism on your record if you fail to meet 80% attendance in 2 courses (this literally means you spend 6 weeks out 78 weeks (2 school yrs)) could jeopardize your medical career). This mark of unprofessionalism will be see on your record when apply for all and any residencies and can hinder your chances of a MATCH. But mandatory attendance isn't the only reason this school is a poor career decision, there are so many other reasons which you can DM about I will be glad to answer you about, but that one major draw back to the attendance as well as how the faculty has handled the situation --> as stated previously literally photoing the classes to count students, seating charts, not releasing tegrity for excused absences etc

Hopefully this is clear and helps

Keep in mind that the people posting here are the few that are unhappy with certain things....I am a current 1st year and think that choosing PCOM Georgia was a good decision for me. I actually can't come up with any cons and actually don't mind going to most of the lectures, with some of the changes actually being of benefit. And tbh it's the only way I actually study the material several times while going to class because like some other people said, the teachers are actually really good and are so heavily boards-focused (and they actually care about out success which is different from undergrad for me) so that you are prepared for USMLE and COMLEX. That being said, I do have to agree that there are its issues that need to be resolved (like honestly us 1st years are dying this week with an overflow of material so we kind of got screwed over with the 2 breaks in between lecture material), but this term going to class so far is the only thing helping me keep up with the material sufficiently enough that I actually know what to really learn and expect for exams....with second years it's different though. For us first years going to class is actually worth it and even gives us a lot of extra credit for our grades by practice questions, vs. with 2nd years, most of them are in class studying for boards, because that is what's ultimately important. I have to say I'm in support of 2nd years retaliating and making sure that they maximize study time while in class, which I mean, if you think about it is a good thing because ultimately YOU are the person that will be taking board exams. However by the time y'all are second years I can honestly say I don't think mandatory attendance will be a thing anymore..

P.S. The attendance policy isn't as strict anymore...they took away the professionalism violation, there's no penalty, and I know people who barely go to class without any notices. And I actually got the flu last term and missed almost 2 weeks without any penalty and they worked well with me during that (very) unfortunate situation. What DO council told us is if they notice red flags with attendance they will just have a meeting with you to address concerns, just something I'd thought I mention since it's new

Keep in mind that the people posting here are the few that are unhappy with certain things....I am a current 1st year and think that choosing PCOM Georgia was a good decision for me. I actually can't come up with any cons and actually don't mind going to most of the lectures, with some of the changes actually being of benefit. And tbh it's the only way I actually study the material several times while going to class because like some other people said, the teachers are actually really good and are so heavily boards-focused (and they actually care about out success which is different from undergrad for me) so that you are prepared for USMLE and COMLEX. That being said, I do have to agree that there are its issues that need to be resolved (like honestly us 1st years are dying this week with an overflow of material so we kind of got screwed over with the 2 breaks in between lecture material), but this term going to class so far is the only thing helping me keep up with the material sufficiently enough that I actually know what to really learn and expect for exams....with second years it's different though. For us first years going to class is actually worth it and even gives us a lot of extra credit for our grades by practice questions, vs. with 2nd years, most of them are in class studying for boards, because that is what's ultimately important. I have to say I'm in support of 2nd years retaliating and making sure that they maximize study time while in class, which I mean, if you think about it is a good thing because ultimately YOU are the person that will be taking board exams. However by the time y'all are second years I can honestly say I don't think mandatory attendance will be a thing anymore..

P.S. The attendance policy isn't as strict anymore...they took away the professionalism violation, there's no penalty, and I know people who barely go to class without any notices. And I actually got the flu last term and missed almost 2 weeks without any penalty and they worked well with me during that (very) unfortunate situation. What DO council told us is if they notice red flags with attendance they will just have a meeting with you to address concerns, just something I'd thought I mention since it's new

You have only been through SPOM (anatomy) which most of us went to class for... I am a current second year and I'm not sure why you think the content being testing is board heavy. Most schools have exams with board-like questions and material which we did not and still do not have. When you get further in neuro and CPR you will see this. If and when you start board prep or even questions through UWorld or Board Vitals you will see maybe 50% of what is tested on there is even mentioned in lectures. Also, the professionalism violation has NOT been removed. Letters went out yesterday for second years which is why we posted these things. Not only that, there is no feedback or assistance when responding to the letters.

You have only been through SPOM (anatomy) which most of us went to class for... I am a current second year and I'm not sure why you think the content being testing is board heavy. Most schools have exams with board-like questions and material which we did not and still do not have. When you get further in neuro and CPR you will see this. If and when you start board prep or even questions through UWorld or Board Vitals you will see maybe 50% of what is tested on there is even mentioned in lectures. Also, the professionalism violation has NOT been removed. Letters went out yesterday for second years which is why we posted these things. Not only that, there is no feedback or assistance when responding to the letters.

Whoa one of the CMBM profs mentioned a change to one of my classmates couple days ago. That’s wild. So is it just as of yesterday? And actually I’m talking more on CMBM as for boards relevant info cause I did/ am doing First Aid/UWorld/USMLERx for that all throughout break/now to prep for exams. For SPOM physiology lecture stuff any time they would say something was clinically relevant I’d find it in first aid to refer back to later, and they’d throw a bunch of random clinical stuff they’d say was “boards relevant” but we wouldn’t actually be tested on it. And yeah I’ve heard that for Neuro/CPR, test questions are generally easier to test more of a foundational knowledge/ meticulous details of the material vs. harder application questions. I know as a 1st year I probably shouldn’t be thinking about boards, but for lecture material so far at least I’m finding a decent correlation. Not sure if the boards review sessions for CMBM (which because they’re optional I probably won’t go to many) are gonna be helpful though. I’m glad you mentioned this though cause I’m probably just gonna keep doing with what I’m doing throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No offense but you're completely ignorant to how this school operates and how it ultimately affects the students. Students should be running away from this institution as fast as they can if they want to be anything other than family med docs in Iowa (which there is nothing inherently wrong with this career desire). We had a student get into a car crash earlier this week and they went to student affairs to ask for the lecture recordings for the day she missed and they communicated to the student that the teacher who taught on the recordings said that no accommodations could be made for the early release of recordings. Absolutely ridiculous. Just wait until you get into neuro... I still get angry when I think about it how Dr. Redmond "taught" that class. We had numerous UNRECORDED sessions where she would hand draw out the spinal tracts on a projector and label it in cursive. When students would raise their hands with requests for her to explain something over she would tell the students that she didn't have time and move on.

I would advise anyone reading this thread to take anything someone who has been at the school for 3 months says with a gigantic pile of salt. To be frank, they have no idea what they are talking about and are unintentionally posting inaccuracies. I know they are trying to help, but they don't understand how much better this program could be even by turning back time 1 year or the true adversarial relationship the program has with its customers (I mean students.) Frequently, I am shocked at how naive most students are that enter medical school, but most usually gain some perspective on the true landscape/motivations of the school vs the goals/needs of the students by second year. If you are a student here and can't see the issues even as an M1, well, let's just say ignorance is bliss.