2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super stoked to be going here this August! Did y’all see they had a 100% match rate yesterday?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else see a financial aid award on their portal but never got an email or official notification?

A little bummed that there’s no scholarship mentioned so I’m wondering if the award that’s there can change if they haven’t contacted me about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else see a financial aid award on their portal but never got an email or official notification?

A little bummed that there’s no scholarship mentioned so I’m wondering if the award that’s there can change if they haven’t contacted me about it.
I'm wondering the same thing. How do we even go about applying for scholarships?

Where were you able to see the financial aid award on the portal? Thanks!

Super stoked to be going here this August! Did y’all see they had a 100% match rate yesterday?
100% match rate misleading - couple students had to SOAP into prelim positions or into family med. But match was excellent this year with 8/8 matching ortho.

I'm on mobile, but it says application processed and admission term Fall 2019. Is this an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how Upstate feels about LOIs? On the HPA and hoping Im pulled off in the beginning of May.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how Upstate feels about LOIs? On the HPA and hoping Im pulled off in the beginning of May.

I read somewhere that after you are put on HPA they don’t accept any more updates/LOI, I think it was in their email. All we can do is wait, sadly.

Yeah in the email it states we are already in an order to be pulled and nothing that we can do will change that order. Just a waiting game unfortunately.

Hey guys at what point do you think I should call admissions to see my application status? Is that even a thing I’m allowed to do? It’s been a month since I interviewed with them.

Hey guys at what point do you think I should call admissions to see my application status? Is that even a thing I’m allowed to do? It’s been a month since I interviewed with them.
usually it takes 6-8 weeks post interview to get a decision.

I called on Thursday (interviewed 2/6) and they said it’ll still be a little while

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you wonderful people soon!

Reactions: 3 users
Placed on HPA early last month, interviewed in early January. I remember being told on interview day that if we were HPA they'd be able to tell us a general probability of being accepted after they completed interviews in end of March but the HPA email says that we wouldn't really get an update on that until mid May. Anyone else get told the same thing on interview day?

Does Upstate do silent R? Interviewed mid-Feb and haven't heard anything back. Thank you!

Does Upstate do silent R? Interviewed mid-Feb and haven't heard anything back. Thank you!
Not that I know of! I interviewed 2/6 and I haven’t heard anything, but the portal still says under committee review. I called about a week and a half ago and they said it would still be a little while for a decision.

Is anyone not able to accept award offer/loans?

Same! Interviewed mid-Feb. Does anyone see SUNY in the choose your medical school thing people were mentioning a while back?

Same! Interviewed mid-Feb. Does anyone see SUNY in the choose your medical school thing people were mentioning a while back?

I just checked and I don't see it in the choose your medical school thing

Reactions: 1 users
interviewed mid February, cleared today, just got HPA email.
Not a R at least :(((

2/27 interview —> portal cleared 2 hours ago —> HPA 10 min ago

Also HPA rn - wonder if any Feb people will get an acceptance?

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, is there a regular WL as oppose to HPA? I remember on interview day they mentioned a regular WL which sees almost no movement

Just out of curiosity, is there a regular WL as oppose to HPA? I remember on interview day they mentioned a regular WL which sees almost no movement
They said there were two. The last time they got to the second waitlist was 8 years ago. It seems like most people are HPA and they told us we have to wait until mid-May to find out more

For those on HPA, which campus did you choose for 3rd year?

Thoughts on the new med schols med school prep one-year Master's program if we get the R? I'd assume applicants from the program would still be assessed against the general pool, but you're guaranteed an admissions interview.

Thoughts on the new med schols med school prep one-year Master's program if we get the R? I'd assume applicants from the program would still be assessed against the general pool, but you're guaranteed an admissions interview.
Might as well apply since I don't have an A at the moment. The requirement for a new personal statement and letter is annoying since I applied this cycle. Why do I need to write another one?

Anyone mind posting the HPA email? Mine got diverted into spam, and autodeleted and I'd like to have a copy of one,

Anyone mind posting the HPA email? Mine got diverted into spam, and autodeleted and I'd like to have a copy of one,

"The Admissions Committee has placed your name on our High Priority Alternate (HPA) list. While this is not an acceptance to our medical school, applicants on the High Priority Alternate list receive first priority for acceptance as places become available in the entering class.
Although it is not possible to predict how the HPA list will move this year, in previous years, many HPA alternates have been offered acceptance to our College of Medicine. We cannot tell you where you fall on the alternate list but by mid-May we can discuss how the list is moving to give you a better sense of your chances regarding acceptance. Please inform us if you choose to have your name removed from the High Priority Alternate list.
Please note that the Admissions Committee does not consider new information or letters of intent submitted to improve an applicant's standing on the HPA list.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (315) 464-4570.
Sincerely Yours,
Jennifer C. Welch
Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
SUNY Upstate Medical University
766 Irving Avenue, 1213 Weiskotten Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210
315-464-4570
[email protected]
P.S. In the event you are accepted into the College of Medicine, we will need all final, official transcripts from every college you attended.
You will also need health clearance. The link for the Health Clearance forms is New Students: Mandatory Health Clearance Forms | Current Students |SUNY Upstate Medical University. If you are accepted, completion of all health forms and immunization records are required prior to orientation. No student will be permitted to attend class unless these forms are on file."

Can someone please answer this.
  • How's the curriculum
  1. Is it P/F
  2. Traditional 2+2
  3. PBL or lecture?
  4. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both?
  • What's the class size
  • How are clinical rotations?
  • Is the school laid back or more intense?

Trying to compile my pros and cons between schools. Thanks

Can someone please answer this.
  • How's the curriculum

1. Is it P/F
  2. Traditional 2+2
  3. PBL or lecture?
  4. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both?

• What's the class size
  • How are clinical rotations?
  • Is the school laid back or more intense?
Trying to compile my pros and cons between schools. Thanks
You can find all of those things on MSAR or on Upstate's website.