2018-2019 Touro University (Vallejo, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if this school is receptive to in the area emails? I’m on the east coast and might be going out to the bay area to visit family soon.

eek I got the complete email on 8/2 and I am pulling my hair out. 16 schools, no II yet. I know it's still pretty early but damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today

Reactions: 2 users
II today as well (complete 7/30), definitely wish we didn't have to call for dates bc I am 100% going to panic and mess something up haha

II today as well (complete 7/30), definitely wish we didn't have to call for dates bc I am 100% going to panic and mess something up haha
LMAO :laugh: congrats anyhow! don't mess it up.... lol. don't forget to breathe in between your words

Reactions: 1 user
II today as well, complete 8/9, using my highest MCAT - LizzyM 71

Scheduling into November by the way!

Secondary file complete 8/6, ll given 8/29, and II scheduled for 9/17. I am in state with 3.86 GPA and 510 MCAT.
Who will be interviewing with me?

Interview invite received August 22nd and I was complete August 9th.

Members don't see this ad :)
any tips on how to prepare for this school's interview??

Reactions: 1 users
Hey how has everyone been answering the employer and volunteer questions? Right now I have it as a list, but I was wondering if we should answer it in paragraph style and actually talk about the experience?

any tips on how to prepare for this school's interview??
Know your application very well because they will ask specifically about experiences. Also since it’s a group interview, pay attention to the other applicants when they talk. You may also get random questions that are totally unrelated, so just be ready to think on your feet. Other than that it’s a pretty straightforward interview.

Know your application very well because they will ask specifically about experiences. Also since it’s a group interview, pay attention to the other applicants when they talk. You may also get random questions that are totally unrelated, so just be ready to think on your feet. Other than that it’s a pretty straightforward interview.
No MMI right?

Has anyone heard back yet? I was complete 08/30, and am still waiting to hear back for an II.

3.2/3.2/507....not the best GPA or sGPA (damn you grade replacement!), but still holding out.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back yet? I was complete 08/30, and am still waiting to hear back for an II.

3.2/3.2/507....not the best GPA or sGPA (damn you grade replacement!), but still holding out.

They sent out the first batch of acceptances last Friday. Beyond that I don’t know anything about IIs.

They sent out the first batch of acceptances last Friday. Beyond that I don’t know anything about IIs.

The people who got those acceptances were probably those who applied early, right? I saw people who got complete in July...interviewed in August...etc.

Hi guys this is my favorite school so I’m really hoping for an interview invite. I submitted my secondary 8/22 and my stats are gpa 3.7 sgpa 3.78 and 508 mcat do I have a fair chance ?

Hi guys this is my favorite school so I’m really hoping for an interview invite. I submitted my secondary 8/22 and my stats are gpa 3.7 sgpa 3.78 and 508 mcat do I have a fair chance ?
I think you definitely do! You're above average for their matriculant GPA, and I think you are right on average for MCAT! Good luck!

I was complete early July with similar GPA, higher MCAT, and have not heard anything back yet.

I was complete early July with similar GPA, higher MCAT, and have not heard anything back yet.

Man, that worries me. Just got secondary today so I guess it looks like I might have to wait until december at this rate......

When did you receive it, and when were you marked complete?
Complete in like early July. I personally know that this school’s interview cycle runs very long into next year. Also if you are stressed try emailing the specified email address on the website and asking for an application update. Also be aware that September was jam packed with Jewish holidays and that probably set them back a lot.

II yesterday, IS and complete mid-Aug.

Just jumped back on to SDN to encourage y'all who might be still waiting. I was getting sort of discouraged up until now, and am learning patience.. now will be off SDN for the sake of my mental sanity :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
I withdrew my interview from here today due to getting accepted elsewhere. Good luck to everyone! I hope one of you get my spot. :)

what about your physical sanity? :p
II yesterday, IS and complete mid-Aug.

Just jumped back on to SDN to encourage y'all who might be still waiting. I was getting sort of discouraged up until now, and am learning patience.. now will be off SDN for the sake of my mental sanity :eek:

Second year TUCOM student here, let me know if you guys have any questions
Interviewing here soon! What is your favorite aspect of being a TUCOM student? How is the student body? Competitive or supportive?

how long does it take to hear the decision after your interview?

how long does it take to hear the decision after your interview?
I was in one of the first groups to interview and it took two weeks - not sure if that has changed since then, though.

Interviewing here soon! What is your favorite aspect of being a TUCOM student? How is the student body? Competitive or supportive?

Current 3rd year in my rotations. I can say that the student body is very supportive and not terribly competitive. This may even be to a fault, because medical students from other schools are far more willing to compete compared to TouroCA students and have greater resilience and better work ethic.

Any other questions feel free to post, or PM me.

Current 3rd year in my rotations. I can say that the student body is very supportive and not terribly competitive. This may even be to a fault, because medical students from other schools are far more willing to compete compared to TouroCA students and have greater resilience and better work ethic.

Any other questions feel free to post, or PM me.

Hello I have an upcoming interview at Touro.

How are clinical rotation sites? I'm thinking of pursuing EM. I noticed the only place touroCA matches for EM is arrowhead, with I think 8 students matching. Will they still have that site secured for rotations in upcoming years?

Hello I have an upcoming interview at Touro.

How are clinical rotation sites? I'm thinking of pursuing EM. I noticed the only place touroCA matches for EM is arrowhead, with I think 8 students matching. Will they still have that site secured for rotations in upcoming years?

Excellent question. That actually isn't true, that Touro matches EM only at Arrowhead. In fact, TouroCA has not matched Arrowhead EM since 2015. Match lists in recent years haven't been publicly published, but here are the 2018 matches for EM from Touro. As for whether or not Touro will still have Arrowhead in the coming years? Nobody knows for certain, but my guess is that Arrowhead will still be around, although with less spots, due to Arrowhead opening up its own medical school. I believe their class size is 60, so there should still be more than enough spots to go around for other schools, including Touro CA.

Poor rotation sites are a common theme among DO schools, and TouroCA really isn't that much different from other schools. One site is St Joseph's in Stockton, where an EM residency just opened for its inaugural class, and more are opening. Your experience will on rotations will vary depending on what you expect out of rotations and how rigorous you would like your rotations to be.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Excellent question. That actually isn't true, that Touro matches EM only at Arrowhead. In fact, TouroCA has not matched Arrowhead EM since 2015. Match lists in recent years haven't been publicly published, but here are the 2018 matches for EM from Touro. As for whether or not Touro will still have Arrowhead in the coming years? Nobody knows for certain, but my guess is that Arrowhead will still be around, although with less spots, due to Arrowhead opening up its own medical school. I believe their class size is 60, so there should still be more than enough spots to go around for other schools, including Touro CA.

Poor rotation sites are a common theme among DO schools, and TouroCA really isn't that much different from other schools. One site is St Joseph's in Stockton, where an EM residency just opened for its inaugural class, and more are opening. Your experience will on rotations will vary depending on what you expect out of rotations and how rigorous you would like your rotations to be.

Ahh this was very enlightening. For myself the long term goal is to become an emergency physician, and Touro California matches. I don't mind travelling to complete my residency as I can always come back to California to practice.

Thank you for the insight.

Hey there!

One thing I admire the most about TUCOM is how kind the students and faculty members are- a number of my classmates and I spend most of our time on campus, so we get to know the professors really well. The students are willing to work together and even share study materials with each other. I appreciate how responsive the faulty are- it's easy to just go into the admin building and find a professor in his/her office to ask a question. I feel that everyone here truly cares for one another and just wants to see each other succeed!

Anyone recently hear back for an II?

Complete 08/30

Anyone know if there's a spot to store a suitcase here during interview day?

(Also improbable but if anyone's interviewing next Monday (11/12) and flying out of Oakland afterward lmk if you want to share an uber/lyft!)

How much walking is the tour? I know it suggested no high heels but would a low 2 inch block heel be okay?

Anyone know if there's a spot to store a suitcase here during interview day?

(Also improbable but if anyone's interviewing next Monday (11/12) and flying out of Oakland afterward lmk if you want to share an uber/lyft!)

Yeah there's a conference room that you arrive in and get lectured at. It's in a separate place from the interview

Anyone know how far out they scheduled their II's?
They had a last minute availability for Monday, Nov. 12 and after that it sounded like they were scheduling into mid-December. Sounds like they have a good amount of II's left to hand out!

Anyone recently hear back for an II?

Complete 08/30
Just received an II on 11/7. Complete 11/2 (please keep in mind that I am local, so this is likely to have sped up my process!). Snagged a last minute interview spot on 11/12. Literally feel like I'm going a million miles per hour right now given how slowly the rest of my med school process has been going :wideyed:

How much walking is the tour? I know it suggested no high heels but would a low 2 inch block heel be okay?

If you can walk comfortably in heels, I think the sky is the limit. The tour is 1 hr max I think. There is one set of stairs outside that is steepish and maybe one or two indoor stairwells, but nothing like walking around downtown SF which is hilly AF.

They had a last minute availability for Monday, Nov. 12 and after that it sounded like they were scheduling into mid-December. Sounds like they have a good amount of II's left to hand out!

Just received an II on 11/7. Complete 11/2 (please keep in mind that I am local, so this is likely to have sped up my process!). Snagged a last minute interview spot on 11/12. Literally feel like I'm going a million miles per hour right now given how slowly the rest of my med school process has been going :wideyed:
Would you mind sending me your stats? I'm a local and have been complete since July...still haven't heard anything....