2018-2019 Touro University (Vallejo, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you mind sending me your stats? I'm a local and have been complete since July...still haven't heard anything....
Sure, I have a 3.77 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA, 508 MCAT. Not the most impressive on the stats but I have several years of experience doing social work in the Bay Area and am familiar with the community agencies that Touro partners with. I also scribed for a DO for a year. I'm a "career changer" so I've been out of undergrad for over 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, I have a 3.77 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA, 508 MCAT. Not the most impressive on the stats but I have several years of experience doing social work in the Bay Area and am familiar with the community agencies that Touro partners with. I also scribed for a DO for a year. I'm a "career changer" so I've been out of undergrad for over 4 years.
Thanks! Best of luck on the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted back in mid-July but still yet to hear anything. Anyone know if Touro-CA accepts pre-II update letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted back in mid-July but still yet to hear anything. Anyone know if Touro-CA accepts pre-II update letters?

They do! I believe there is a contact person for updates that they reference in one of the adcom emails

First acceptance of the cycle :) Interviewed 11/12/18.

Reactions: 1 users
First acceptance of the cycle :) Interviewed 11/12/18.
+1
first/only acceptance of the cycle and had gotten waitlisted at another school an hour earlier. Pure relief.

Reactions: 2 users
To anyone that's been accepted, can you tell me what you thought of the location, how chill was the interview, and any general thoughts on the school. What you liked or dis-liked...TIA.

To anyone that's been accepted, can you tell me what you thought of the location, how chill was the interview, and any general thoughts on the school. What you liked or dis-liked...TIA.
My first impression of Mare Island was that I could see myself going to school there. A lot of people have mentioned that the abandoned buildings are creepy, but I actually didn't mind that at all. It's a nice place and the buildings for the school (library, classrooms, labs) were decent.

I think my favorite part of the day was getting to talk to the professors. They're really great and you can tell that some of them are characters in the best sense of the word. They really seemed passionate about what they do and that really impressed me.

I honestly was expecting the interview to be a nightmare, because anything with panels and multiple interviewees just sounds to me like a pressure cooker. But it actually ended up being the total opposite! It was actually really reassuring to have other people in the room and it was nice getting some breathing time in between questions and getting to know who the other interviewees are. Overall, the interview was good. They do ask some questions that seemed challenging, but nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can also add to this : ) Mare Island itself has lots of really pretty houses that you will drive by on the way up to campus. The campus itself is outdated but its not bad and the facilities are standard and seem well kept. Berkeley, Napa, and Walnut Creek are all a very short drive away so that is a huge plus for me!

This was my second group/panel style interview so I was already really comfortable with the format. The interview was pretty chill. My tips are to listen to your peers when they talk and don't space out. Don't swivel around in your chair. If your hands tend to shake when you are nervous keep them in your lap. Don't ramble and talk slowly and clearly. Also know your application and you will be great!

Overall this is my first choice due to the location so I already came in with an open mind and really enjoyed the interview day. The dean gave a great talk and they really seem to have an established program. Research seems readily available and that is a huge plus because most DO schools do not have that available. Also the students seemed really nice and overall I had a great time. I think if you go into the interview with a positive mindset you will have a great time!

The dean gave a great talk and they really seem to have an established program.

Dude, that guy gave a presentation without a powerpoint, but it was probably the most amazing intro to a school I've ever heard.

The group interview was kind of intimidating! The other applicants are also very accomplished! I thought I wasn't going to get accepted. But putting it into the perspective that you're interviewing with your future classmates rather than the perspective that 2-3 out of the 4 of you are getting accepted made me think it was a pretty cool experience.

The school definitely has some pretty cool programs going on. The Dean talked about the Diabetes Prevention Program - I think all the students become certified diabetes educators? Or was I just dreaming? While Mare Island doesn't have much traffic, traveling around the Bay Area, I'm just not sure if I could live in such a populated area. Though, with high population density comes diversity and opportunity.

Recent Alum from Touro. Feel free to ask questions or PM me. My knowledge of how the preclinical curriculum is structured might be a little outdated but I can answer any questions about rotations or about student life in general

Last edited:
Current student at Touro. Feel free to ask questions or PM me. I'm currently on rotations so my knowledge of how the preclinical curriculum is structured might be a little outdated but I can answer any questions about rotations or about student life in general

Hi jafeel, thanks for taking some time for questions. Are you paired up with any patients/people in the community for the length of your education? Have you been involved in diabetes outreach and to what extent? How are you enjoying rotations?

Not sure what you mean by paired up with patients in the community. There's a student run free clinic and students also volunteer at the peds clinic for Vallejo Unified and the suitcase clinic in Berkeley where you have a chance to do H&Ps and OMM treatments on members of the community so there's definitely opportunities for community service in that regard. The school also has several health fairs going on throughout the year to that services the Vallejo underserved population.

I personally wasn't involved in diabetes outreach since studying/school took a lot of time for me and I was involved in other extracurriculars as well. The school's diabetes outreach has definitely grown since I was a 1st year though so there's probably more opportunities to get involved with that now.

Rotations has its ups and downs but I think that's a normal part of 3rd and 4th year no matter what med school you go to. I haven't come across any major problems with the school as far as my rotations and scheduling. Anything specific you want to know about rotations?

Anyone else hear back for an II? I completed 08/30

Not sure what you mean by paired up with patients in the community. There's a student run free clinic and students also volunteer at the peds clinic for Vallejo Unified and the suitcase clinic in Berkeley where you have a chance to do H&Ps and OMM treatments on members of the community so there's definitely opportunities for community service in that regard. The school also has several health fairs going on throughout the year to that services the Vallejo underserved population.

I personally wasn't involved in diabetes outreach since studying/school took a lot of time for me and I was involved in other extracurriculars as well. The school's diabetes outreach has definitely grown since I was a 1st year though so there's probably more opportunities to get involved with that now.

Rotations has its ups and downs but I think that's a normal part of 3rd and 4th year no matter what med school you go to. I haven't come across any major problems with the school as far as my rotations and scheduling. Anything specific you want to know about rotations?
Have you had to travel far for your rotations? And are there certain rotations that are more popular/harder to get due to interest? Thanks for the info--it's always good to get insider info!

During your 2nd year, you and your class list your top 5 choices for rotations for 3rd year and you are placed there in a randomized lottery system. Some of the sites are year long sites where you'll do all your rotations at the same hospital. Other sites might have you moving here and there but you'll roughly be in the same geographic region. If for some instance you do have to move they try to minimize it by scheduling your rotations adequately. For me I stayed in central Cal for a 5 month chunk and was in the bay for the rest of the year rather than switching back and forth every rotation so it wasn't too bad.

For 4th year, you set up rotations all on your own and this is true at most DO schools in the nation since we don't have an affiliated medical center. Generally there's more moving around since you'll be doing audition and sub internship rotations in the earlier part of the year before residency apps are submitted however if location is a huge concern for you due to family or significant other you can choose to do everything in one location. The key is to just plan in advance.

There's definitely certain rotations that are more popular. Each site accommodates a different number of students. Some of our larger sites can take around 20 students and our smaller ones can take 5 students. I'd say most of my class got within their top 2 choices for 3rd year rotations so it wasn't too big of a deal. This probably just depends on your class preferences every year.

Just received an II today!! Do you guys have any tips for the group interview?

Just received an II today!! Do you guys have any tips for the group interview?
I just got accepted! I think it's important to be loud and concise in a group interview. (One interviewee talked for a really long time and you could tell the interviewers were frustrated and kept looking at the clock) Also, make sure to be honest about your app and provide answers with an example that the interviewers can follow. Try to engage the other interviewees and if you can reference them by their name in one of your answers then it's even better. I thought the group interview was going to be scary but it was actually really fun and I enjoyed listening to other people's stories.

II this morning, marked complete 11/26

I just got accepted! I think it's important to be loud and concise in a group interview. (One interviewee talked for a really long time and you could tell the interviewers were frustrated and kept looking at the clock) Also, make sure to be honest about your app and provide answers with an example that the interviewers can follow. Try to engage the other interviewees and if you can reference them by their name in one of your answers then it's even better. I thought the group interview was going to be scary but it was actually really fun and I enjoyed listening to other people's stories.
Thanks so much! :)

Dou you remember if they mentioned anything about how many people they interview and accept?

Thanks so much! :)

Dou you remember if they mentioned anything about how many people they interview and accept?
I believe they interview about 500 and end up with an entering class size of 130. Im guessing they accept about 200?

During your 2nd year, you and your class list your top 5 choices for rotations for 3rd year and you are placed there in a randomized lottery system. Some of the sites are year long sites where you'll do all your rotations at the same hospital. Other sites might have you moving here and there but you'll roughly be in the same geographic region. If for some instance you do have to move they try to minimize it by scheduling your rotations adequately. For me I stayed in central Cal for a 5 month chunk and was in the bay for the rest of the year rather than switching back and forth every rotation so it wasn't too bad.

For 4th year, you set up rotations all on your own and this is true at most DO schools in the nation since we don't have an affiliated medical center. Generally there's more moving around since you'll be doing audition and sub internship rotations in the earlier part of the year before residency apps are submitted however if location is a huge concern for you due to family or significant other you can choose to do everything in one location. The key is to just plan in advance.

There's definitely certain rotations that are more popular. Each site accommodates a different number of students. Some of our larger sites can take around 20 students and our smaller ones can take 5 students. I'd say most of my class got within their top 2 choices for 3rd year rotations so it wasn't too big of a deal. This probably just depends on your class preferences every year.

Do you happen to have an estimate of how many spots are in SoCal (do those people have all 3rd year rotations there since it's so much farther geographically?)? And curious how you did housing, sublet in central CA then the bay?

what kind of communication can we expect from the school between now and the first day of class :)

what kind of communication can we expect from the school between now and the first day of class :)
I think they will email us around May 15th to request a second deposit of $1000 and then around the beginning of June they will reach out to all accepted students and create a new student listserv so we can communicate with each other. They've got some great info on the TUCOM student website which you can access already with your TUC ID. I was checking out the calendar for next year--looks like classes will start up in August!

You'll also receive information on how to complete your immunizations requirements. This process takes time and is quite the hassle, so I recommend you finish it sooner rather than later. I am a current first year here, happy to answer any other questions.

Do you happen to have an estimate of how many spots are in SoCal (do those people have all 3rd year rotations there since it's so much farther geographically?)? And curious how you did housing, sublet in central CA then the bay?

As of the moment, ~45 available spots are in Socal, with about ~35 of them actually getting filled in the class of 2020. In the upcoming years, possibly less due to the new MD school CUSM opening up at the largest Socal site, Arrowhead Regional Medical Center.

The school is also looking to expand St Joseph's medical center, an affiliated site in Stockton that has just opened EM and FM residencies and will also open IM and OBGYN residencies as well.

Got a secondary all the way in October, but totally forgot to complete an essay. Still worth submitting secondary this week or nah?

Got a secondary all the way in October, but totally forgot to complete an essay. Still worth submitting secondary this week or nah?
I believe applications are rolling until April 1, so you have plenty of time before the deadline. I'm not sure how far out they're scheduling interviews at this time, but there is technically all of December, January, February, March and April for you to hear back from them. I would say if you're interested in this school and are able to pay the app fee, go for it!

I still haven’t heard anything. :( this is the closest DO to me too.

Just received II complete end of August. Probably going to end up canceling it so hope someone grabs it!

Does anyone know whether this school is planing on moving towards a P/F system? Was this discussed during any of the interviews?

Does anyone know whether this school is planing on moving towards a P/F system? Was this discussed during any of the interviews?

I asked the student who gave me a tour. He said he's not sure, but that there are talks among the administration, and that they do plan to move to P/F. The administration seems very open to student input so I'm counting on that.

BTW. Just got in here, MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! After being WL'd at MD last cycle and having to re-apply, I'm freaking out and so grateful.
Interviewed 12/4. Best turnaround ever. I'm going to be a physician :)

Reactions: 4 users
BTW. Just got in here, MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! After being WL'd at MD last cycle and having to re-apply, I'm freaking out and so grateful.
Interviewed 12/4. Best turnaround ever. I'm going to be a physician :)
Congratulations!!!!!!! Did they give you a date for when they would let you know of acceptance decision?

During the interview, did they say anything like "we'll let you know whether you're accepted, waitlisted or rejected by date xyz?"

at my interview day they said we would know exactly 2 weeks from our interview date, but that might have changed since then.

At my interview the student tour guide said that the P/F system was supposed to roll out this year and that administration even sent out an email. But they ended up being unable to do it this year because of technical issues and I guess accreditation related things? Hopefully they are getting that all sorted out now so that they can roll it out for the incoming class!