2018-2019 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.

I wanted to talk about my experience moving to the US for college - how it was difficult to leave my family and friends and to relate to people around me especially with the language barrier- what I learned about myself is that I was highly adaptable to new situations, what do you guys think? too cliche?
I think you'll be okay, most adversity boils down to a few different types so experiences tend to be cliche, it's how you write about them that can help you stand out. If you want to make sure it sounds unique maybe try to think of another (less cliché?) personal quality or lesson you learned in addition to adaptability. 1500 characters is enough to talk about more than just one thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh darn I'm so sorry. I thought II meant Interview invite so I thought maybe you got an interview. my bad. keep your head up! long road ahead with lots of opportunities awaiting you!
II does mean interview invite, but I think sometimes people get confused and use it to mean secondary

Members don't see this ad :)
Not even sure if I should submit. LM 70-71, no underserved volunteer work, little research... I’m a veteran but not sure if that’ll help much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m oos lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Unless you have ties to the state or have a strong interest in specific programs (eg, PRIME-LC) it will be difficult. Consider that IS receives interviews at a rate double that of OOS. Unless you really want to live and practice in Irvine/SoCal, I would say that your time/effort/money would be better used applying to other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an II! LizzyM 69-70, secondary received 7/6, completed 7/7, IS, ORM.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get an email saying they received your primary app and will review it soon, but haven't heard anything.
Verified: 6/29
Got the email on 7/12
OOS

Hello all! I was just wondering if anyone has run into this situation yet....

I submitted my secondary yesterday and it was well within the character count. However today, when I log back into the amp secondary site, it cuts off part of my essays. It seems like it cut off where it would have if it counted spaces, but above the prompts it says 1500 characters without spaces.

Do you think this is just a formatting thing and the adcoms will be able to see it? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll call them to make sure, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thank you!

Did you ask them what happened? Is it 1500 characters with space included?

Did you ask them what happened? Is it 1500 characters with space included?
Hi yes so it was the formatting difference between my home computer and my work computer. The character count is correct and when before you submit this problem won't happen but after you submit you might not be able to see portions of the essays on certain computers!

Still haven't received a secondary, and I was complete 7/13. Anyone else in a similar position? LizzyM ~ 77

Does anyone know long does it take for the letters section in the portal to be updated?

Reactions: 1 users
WTH is up with UCs this year. The only peep I've heard is from UCSD who already sent me a secondary.

I got the under review email but haven't heard received a secondary.

Last edited:
Congrats! Also how long did it take you to reach complete? Do they send you an email once you're complete? On the portal it says they don't have my letters of rec which is surprising since I have all of them on there on AMCAS.

Did your application ever reach complete?? I'm in the same boat. Submitted my app over a week ago and they still don't have my letters though they are on AMCAS and all the other schools received them fine....I tried emailing UCI but they sent a generic reply.

Did your application ever reach complete?? I'm in the same boat. Submitted my app over a week ago and they still don't have my letters though they are on AMCAS and all the other schools received them fine....I tried emailing UCI but they sent a generic reply.

+1
I'm almost reaching the 30-day deadline....by then do we ask for an extension?

Yeah I reached complete and was subsequently rejected by them. I got a complete email from them the day after I submitted the secondary

Some interesting statistics from previous cycles.

6,616 primaries received, 3,401 secondary app granted, and 544 total interview invites.

Assuming everyone that got a secondary sent in their secondary, 15.6% get an interview invite.

Similarly, if the other UCs also filter out 50% of their applicants through the secondary this is the % we get:

School: II% (post Interview acceptance %)

UCSD: 18.5% (32%)

UCLA: 15.4% (34%)

UCSF: 12.5% (55.2%)

UCD: 13.5% (40%)

Reactions: 6 users
Some interesting statistics from previous cycles.

6,616 primaries received, 3,401 secondary app granted, and 544 total interview invites.

Assuming everyone that got a secondary sent in their secondary, 15.6% get an interview invite.

Similarly, if the other UCs also filter out 50% of their applicants through the secondary this is the % we get:

School: II% (post Interview acceptance %)

UCSD: 18.5% (32%)

UCLA: 15.4% (34%)

UCSF: 12.5% (55.2%)

UCD: 13.5% (40%)

And if you factor in the fact that IS gets a majority of the IIs, the interview percents are probably even higher

Verified 7/15. Secondary finally received this morning! :highfive:

Verified 7/13, LM 77, WARS 105... no secondary or any email at all... anyone else in a similar spot? I received secondaries to UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF pretty early on, and it seems from above that UCI is pretty slow this year?

when they ask for courses in the prereq section are you listing all your courses (including labs) or just enough to fill the prereqs?

Secondary just received, on the dot of 5 pm CA time on a Friday! Nice way to go into a weekend! OOS w/ ties, verified 8/2.

Reactions: 1 users
it seems like there has been silence on II's for a bit... does anyone know how long they usually go between interview rounds? Do they come out at intervals or continuously throughout the cycle? I guess this is kind of a general question but it seems like it has been quite a while for UCI...

Under the "research activity" section should I also be listing my poster presentations and publication? Probably a stupid question but I did not know if it was just limited to bigger lab involvement.

Finally got a secondary TODAY after about a month lol

Under the "research activity" section should I also be listing my poster presentations and publication? Probably a stupid question but I did not know if it was just limited to bigger lab involvement.
Both those things sound appropriate for the section

If I have not worked with an underserved community for at least a year am I basically out of the running. I feel as if checking no for underserved basically axes you unless you have something else exceptional in your application.

Just got rejected :)
Complete 7/17
Good luck everyone!

I’m confused... does UCI focus on service to the underserved or research? I’ve heard both being thrown around lol