2018-2019 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't do my prereq research, assuming that 2 semesters of biology would fulfill prereq at any/most schools. UCI requires 3 semesters of bio...should I even submit my secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't do my prereq research, assuming that 2 semesters of biology would fulfill prereq at any/most schools. UCI requires 3 semesters of bio...should I even submit my secondary?

Yes, you’ll just have to complete the course before you matriculate.

Anyone know if it is worth sending an ITA request to UCI? FWIW I applied MSTP. I'm going to be in LA next month for an interview, coming from the east coast.

Does UC Irvine accept grade updates (summer courses that were on my transcript)? Couldn't find this info on their website.

Verified early June. Secondary received and sent 7/15. LM 72. Waiting on interview or reject still

Just received secondary this morning. Verified 7/17 (yesterday) That was fast. I thought they screened?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the activities section, if you had clinical employment would you list it under clinical activities or employment?

JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW!
IS LM 69, close ties to UCI.
Complete 7/11, interview for mid September!

Reactions: 4 users
still no secondary or rejection and i was verified 7/24. not expecting a secondary necessarily but I wish id receive some sort of communication!! every other UC i applied to has sent me a secondary or rejection like weeks ago at this point

Reactions: 1 user
still no secondary or rejection and i was verified 7/24. not expecting a secondary necessarily but I wish id receive some sort of communication!! every other UC i applied to has sent me a secondary or rejection like weeks ago at this point
Sorry to hear that. I’m a Cali applicant with high hopes of staying IS but was wondering which UCs have sent u a R thus far? I have heard nothing from any UC, but have gotten secondaries to all except Davis.

I submitted my app 7/31 and still no secondaries from UC's other than SD and UCR. I'm surprised you've heard something so quickly from all of them!

Sorry to hear that. I’m a Cali applicant with high hopes of staying IS but was wondering which UCs have sent u a R thus far? I have heard nothing from any UC, but have gotten secondaries to all except Davis.

I got a rejection from Riverside! I applied to Davis, Irvine, San Diego, and Riverside. The others gave me secondaries in July and riverside sent me a rejection two weeks ago. I'm OOS so I'm not expecting much but I love Cali so it would be great to go to school there.

I submitted my app 7/31 and still no secondaries from UC's other than SD and UCR. I'm surprised you've heard something so quickly from all of them!
Oh, trust me I'm very surprised too, especially from Davis bc I know they've been having huge issues with their process this year. Everything also seems so out of order I know people who submitted long before me for other schools with no response.

Oh, trust me I'm very surprised too, especially from Davis bc I know they've been having huge issues with their process this year. Everything also seems so out of order I know people who submitted long before me for other schools with no response.
Thank you, that is good to know! I'm promising myself that I won't get neurotic and practice patience :rofl:Good luck with the cycle!

It's unlikely UCI screens beyond numbers before sending out secondaries. My friend applied on a weekend and received the secondary invite the same weekend, hours later. Unlikely any human was heavily screening. YMMV.

It's unlikely UCI screens beyond numbers before sending out secondaries. My friend applied on a weekend and received the secondary invite the same weekend, hours later. Unlikely any human was heavily screening. YMMV.

I think most UCs screen this way. High stat applicants probably automatically get secondaries. But if you have borderline stats, they do a holistic review.

Reactions: 1 users
I think most UCs screen this way. High stat applicants probably automatically get secondaries. But if you have borderline stats, they do a holistic review.
I had stats considerably above their average, and I did not receive a secondary until a month after my primary was verified...

Does anyone know what the recommended attire is for the dinner the night before the interview?

I wore a button up and long pants and it was fine. It's a very relaxed dinner to interact with the current students.

Anyone know if it is worth sending an ITA request to UCI? FWIW I applied MSTP. I'm going to be in LA next month for an interview, coming from the east coast.
MSTP interviews at UCI usually dont start until ~October, and there are very specific dates. You could try but it is very unlikely!

So, I got a secondary here and completed it early... and I’m seeing that people who were complete after me getting interviews. I have not heard anything from them. Does this mean that they are silent rejecting me or that they are gunna review my app again later? I felt like a strong applicant here. Some service. A lot of research with non-first author pub. LizzyM of 78-79

So, I got a secondary here and completed it early... and I’m seeing that people who were complete after me getting interviews. I have not heard anything from them. Does this mean that they are silent rejecting me or that they are gunna review my app again later? I felt like a strong applicant here. Some service. A lot of research with non-first author pub. LizzyM of 78-79
You are going to drive yourself absolutely crazy if you think of it like that. There is a certain amount of randomness in each cycle, and having a perfect app and turning your secondaries in early doesn't guarantee you an early interview (or any interview for that matter). I HIGHLY recommend staying off SDN threads until you've gotten an interview, or for the whole cycle if you can manage. The fact that you have no heard back yet while other people have means nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
Just recieved my II! Complete 7/12 LM 71~74 CA resident.

Reactions: 3 users
Hmmm. I thought they would be on vacation on labor day. Congrats!!! I was complete the same day... hoping to get an II here too
Thanks and good luck! I feel like the UCI adcoms especially work from home or something; I got my secondary at 10 pm on a Friday night too

Thanks and good luck! I feel like the UCI adcoms especially work from home or something; I got my secondary at 10 pm on a Friday night too
What time of day did you get your complete email? I got it mid-afternoon I’m tryna see if they passed my app already

What time of day did you get your complete email? I got it mid-afternoon I’m tryna see if they passed my app already

I got it at 11 am, but I'm pretty sure they have more than one reader. So I doubt it means you were passed over

first ii
complete 7/13
LizzyM 74, IS
very happy after getting that on hold from ucsd

Reactions: 4 users
I was complete 7/12. Does this mean I was rejected/ on hold?
Nah. I think there’s people in this thread who were complete after me and got interviews before I did. Plus Irvine doesn’t seem shy about rejecting people. They’ve already rejected a bunch of people, people who have applied before and after me

I was complete 7/12. Does this mean I was rejected/ on hold?
Definitely not. They have their own ways of prioritizing how they review applications. Adcoms review at different paces and it is safe to assume that more than a single member is reading the different parts of your app. Plus, Irvine has been letting people know when they make a decision.

Hi! verified yesterday, secondary received this morning. For the letters of recommendation - it says "senior professors" are recommended - does that mean letters by assistant or associate professors will be looked down upon?

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary??

Hi! verified yesterday, secondary received this morning. For the letters of recommendation - it says "senior professors" are recommended - does that mean letters by assistant or associate professors will be looked down upon?

You must have an amazing app. GL

For interviews, will there be the 10 min structured MMI-like interview this year? It's unclear on the interview description whether or not this will be a thing.

Interviewing here next week! If anyone has any interview advice or anything and wants to message me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks :)