2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone deferred on Oct 15th from an August interview have a decision yet??

No decision received yet. But I interviewed around that time and also got the deferred email.

Members don't see this ad.

**Everything below is pure speculation**

I'm also not buying that it would take this long to enter electronic decisions. My theory is that because UIC can't see other acceptances due to new AMCAS rules, they're releasing decisions more strategically to avoid overadmitting (which they said happened last year) or placing too many kids on waitlist.

So my totally unfounded guess is they're offering highly ranked applicants admissions first, seeing how many pay deposit in a timely fashion, and using that to gauge possible numbers for this cycle.

Could be way off, just venting and trying to demystify the process. This doesn't explain why they'd tell everyone 12/14, but either way I'm not holding my breath for a decision this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
I think this theory is correct. On interview day they mentioned that they were oversubscribed last year, and that forecasting would be even more difficult for them given the AAMC rules.

I think this theory is correct. On interview day they mentioned that they were oversubscribed last year, and that forecasting would be even more difficult for them given the AAMC rules.

I just don't understand why they feel the need to lie.

Like, they made the decision to switch off rolling admissions this year for exactly that reason (overfilling their seats).

Supposedly, they've been planning to conservatively fill their class since September. A handful of decisions do seem to have gone out on Friday, but I'm simply not buying that it's a significant number based on there only being one person notified on here and no-one I know IRL.

They either changed the plan at the last minute to only notify a handful of applicants at this point or have run into technical problems at the last minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't understand why they feel the need to lie.

Like, they made the decision to switch off rolling admissions this year for exactly that reason (overfilling their seats).

Supposedly, they've been planning to conservatively fill their class since September. A handful of decisions do seem to have gone out on Friday, but I'm simply not buying that it's a significant number based on there only being one person notified on here and no-one I know IRL.

They either changed the plan at the last minute to only notify a handful of applicants at this point or have run into technical problems at the last minute.

Would this indicate that the ~80% post-Interview acceptance rate they waved around for a lot of interview days is going to come down this cycle?

Also just tossing in my two cents as a current employee here at UIC, none of this is surprising lol UIC is notorious for taking a long time for anything. If youre accepted and become a member of the school get comfortable with this culture

Reactions: 1 user
Would this indicate that the ~80% post-Interview acceptance rate they waved around for a lot of interview days is going to come down this cycle?

I think all we can do is speculate. My speculation is that a) that 80+% is misleading to begin with, since it presumably includes ED, linkage applicants, and those accepted off the waitlist (unless I'm mistaken), and b) UIC seems to have had a historically "poor" rate of admissions to matriculants, so how will doing non-rolling affect that? The stats they showed us is that they accepted some 600 students for 300 seats. 300 people walked away for better offers. Since this year UIC is telling students so late, maybe a lot of those high stats applicants will have already withdrawn?

Regardless of all of this, It’s unlikely that only one SDN user has been accepted since Friday

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys know when UIC sends out pre-II rejections?

Reactions: 2 users
Dead silence. Been checking the portal regularly and the admission status still shows "Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee."

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just called the office of admissions and the person I spoke to told me that they had sent out all the acceptances already. She then asked me if my portal had updated and after hearing that it had not, she told me to email the office. I think that was just her way of trying to not have to be the one to tell me the bad news. The thing is it blows my mind that most of us on here have not been accepted, it seems kind of odd.

So I just called the office of admissions and the person I spoke to told me that they had sent out all the acceptances already. She then asked me if my portal had updated and after hearing that it had not, she told me to email the office. I think that was just her way of trying to not have to be the one to tell me the bad news. The thing is it blows my mind that most of us on here have not been accepted, it seems kind of odd.
YIKES if this is true. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but this is getting extremely discouraging. I feel like the office will be annoyed if we all email at once.

YIKES if this is true. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but this is getting extremely discouraging. I feel like the office will be annoyed if we all email at once.
Highly doubt this is true at all. Stay patient.

are portals supposed to change regardless of accept/reject? I'm perplexed.

:( Portal still not updated. Was so in love with this school and city.

Reactions: 1 users
Just called the office regarding this and she said it was not at all true and we will hear by the end of the day on Friday.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeeeah cowbell's first & only comment on SDN, bit suspect to me. Stay strong y'all.

Literally made my account to let you guys know after lurking a bit. I hope the guy who posted above me is right cause I'm waiting on an acceptance too

Just called the office regarding this and she said it was not at all true and we will hear by the end of the day on Friday.

Bless you for clearing this up! I emailed the admissions office to clarify but knowing this makes me feel better.

Same. I actually just made an account so I could share this, but you guys beat me to it.

In addition, I asked specifically if the majority of acceptances would be going out on Friday and the secretary confirmed

why would someone maliciously lie like this?

Sorry guys, that's genuinely what the staffer told me. Didn't mean to freak you guys out. Glad there's still a chance for us.

II a few days ago. Complete late in the cycle!

Hey guys! I interviewed here in mid-October and I've been lurking on here without an account for a hot minute. I damn near had a heart attack and a half when I read Cowbell's message and for whatever reason I calmed myself down by making an account on here lol. I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone in this chat for being so positive and informative the past few weeks, it's been one of the only things keeping me sane. Everyone here is the realest homie and if we've made it this far there's no doubt we can make it through the next 48 hours!

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! Surprised to get one so late after I submitted! OOS, Complete 7/30, LM 72

II 1 hour ago! OOS, Complete October, LM 72 (high MCAT/low GPA)

Only dates I saw open for Chicago were Jan 7 and 8
I wouldn’t base the day you choose off Chicago, the location of interview has minimal impact on the location you attend med school at. You pref then after acceptance.

Hey guys! I interviewed here in mid-October and I've been lurking on here without an account for a hot minute. I damn near had a heart attack and a half when I read Cowbell's message and for whatever reason I calmed myself down by making an account on here lol. I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone in this chat for being so positive and informative the past few weeks, it's been one of the only things keeping me sane. Everyone here is the realest homie and if we've made it this far there's no doubt we can make it through the next 48 hours!

OMG what you just posted was exactly my whole thought process today. I was having a borderline panic attack and almost walked out of my work to search for comfort.

Really appreciate those who called to ask for confirmation/ clear info from the office. Bless you all~ <3

Reactions: 6 users
I got a response to my email about admissions decisions and the person who emailed me back also said that the accepted decisions had already gone out. So not sure what is going on.

Below is the email they sent me this morning. I interviewed in late sept and was told we would get decisions so just I just asked if there was any issue with my portal just in case.

Email:
Hello xxxx,
I do apologize for the delay in you receiving a decision. Decisions are being done manually for 300 students. The accepted decisions have already gone out. Please continue to check the portal for an update regarding your status. Again my apologies on the delay.

Amalia Diaz
Assistant Director

Below is the email they sent me this morning. I interviewed in late sept and was told we would get decisions so just I just asked if there was any issue with my portal just in case.

Email:
Hello xxxx,
I do apologize for the delay in you receiving a decision. Decisions are being done manually for 300 students. The accepted decisions have already gone out. Please continue to check the portal for an update regarding your status. Again my apologies on the delay.

Amalia Diaz
Assistant Director

This is the exact email I got as well

I wonder what this all means?

Either none of us are accepted, or the decisions are entered in but for some reason they are not updated on the portal

Been following this thread the whole application cycle, but was finally motivated to make an account after all the confusion this past week. I called this morning and was told that the majority of accepted decisions for those who have interviewed have not been sent out yet, but should be sent out by the end of the day on Friday. But honestly idk whether this is true or the info in Gjo6's email is true, considering their email came from an Assistant Director of Admissions

I am stressed lol. I guess we can only just wait and see what happens tomorrow and in the following weeks. Honestly, best of luck to everyone. I hope we all get some good news for the holidays.

I say prepare for the worst. I really thought the interview went well, and my stats are good, but between this email from the Assistant Director and this rumor about lowering acceptance rates, I’m not hopeful.

Really wish there was a way to clear up the discrepancies in answers

I am stressed lol. I guess we can only just wait and see what happens tomorrow and in the following weeks. Honestly, best of luck to everyone. I hope we all get some good news for the holidays.

username checks out

also, ditto :(

Someone else want to call to get another answer? I called yesterday and the person said they will be coming out through Friday.

Someone else want to call to get another answer? I called yesterday and the person said they will be coming out through Friday.
As of 10:40 central time, whoever answered my call in admissions said that she doesn't know exactly when we will hear, but decisions are currently being manually entered and that at some point in the near future portals will change giving a decision one way or another...

As of 10:40 central time, whoever answered my call in admissions said that she doesn't know exactly when we will hear, but decisions are currently being manually entered and that at some point in the near future portals will change giving a decision one way or another...

so maybe they entered the As first and now we're waiting for our deferred/WL/Rs in the portal? the discrepancy would be solved then...

so maybe they entered the As first and now we're waiting for our deferred/WL/Rs in the portal? the discrepancy would be solved then...
Does this mean that the accepted are updated in the portal but not visible? Or anyone that’s accepted knows already? Someone should ask if you haven’t heard by now if it’s 100% not an acceptance or if they were updated but not everyone can see if they are accepted yet?

Does this mean that the accepted are updated in the portal but not visible? Or anyone that’s accepted knows already? Someone should ask if you haven’t heard by now if it’s 100% not an acceptance or if they were updated but not everyone can see if they are accepted yet?

fwiw, there was someone last friday who got an acceptance via portal

I have to reiterate that I'm skeptical of these accounts (morecowbell, gjo6) that were just created and immediately post a single message that somehow contain insider information that no one else is receiving. If you read their posts carefully, there's really nothing a troll couldn't glean from ongoing convos in the thread and spin into bad news. Also not a single email I have received from UIC has been signed by an individual person, it's always just "Office of Medical College Admissions," and I highly doubt the Assistant Director of Admissions chose to personally answers this person's email.

Either way DON'T CALL OR EMAIL, Admissions is probably getting annoyed about answering all these rumors at this point. Not sure why trolls are trying to sabotage people's applications but no one is gonna make a call or email today that will gain any new information on. We all need to relax and sit tight til we see what happens tomorrow.

Don't think they're trolling, actually. I got the exact same email from UIC this morning from the assistant director of admissions saying all acceptances had gone out already.

I have to reiterate that I'm skeptical of these accounts (morecowbell, gjo6) that were just created and immediately post a single message that somehow contain insider information that no one else is receiving. If you read their posts carefully, there's really nothing a troll couldn't glean from ongoing convos in the thread and spin into bad news. Also not a single email I have received from UIC has been signed by an individual person, it's always just "Office of Medical College Admissions," and I highly doubt the Assistant Director of Admissions chose to personally answers this person's email.

Either way DON'T CALL OR EMAIL, Admissions is probably getting annoyed about answering all these rumors at this point. Not sure why trolls are trying to sabotage people's applications but no one is gonna make a call or email today that will gain any new information on. We all need to relax and sit tight til we see what happens tomorrow.

Definitely agree. This is the right perspective to have! I think it's time to step back and try our best to relax. Acceptances will come for many in time.

Don't think they're trolling, actually. I got the exact same email from UIC this morning from the assistant director of admissions saying all acceptances had gone out already.

I feel like they’re using “gone out” very ambiguously, does it mean that the acceptances have all been updated in the portals? or that they’ve only decided who’s been accepted?