Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of Illinois

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. areyoumydaddy

Pre-Medical
    II 1 hour ago! OOS, Complete October, LM 72 (high MCAT/low GPA)

Only dates I saw open for Chicago were Jan 7 and 8

2. premedoneday10101

I wouldn’t base the day you choose off Chicago, the location of interview has minimal impact on the location you attend med school at. You pref then after acceptance.

Talkbirthytome and iamstressed like this.
  3. mdfaithful

Medical Student (Accepted)
    OMG what you just posted was exactly my whole thought process today. I was having a borderline panic attack and almost walked out of my work to search for comfort.

Really appreciate those who called to ask for confirmation/ clear info from the office. Bless you all~ <3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. maklh

I got a response to my email about admissions decisions and the person who emailed me back also said that the accepted decisions had already gone out. So not sure what is going on.

mmgrit35 likes this.
  5. Gjo6

Below is the email they sent me this morning. I interviewed in late sept and was told we would get decisions so just I just asked if there was any issue with my portal just in case.

Email:
    Hello xxxx,
    I do apologize for the delay in you receiving a decision. Decisions are being done manually for 300 students. The accepted decisions have already gone out. Please continue to check the portal for an update regarding your status. Again my apologies on the delay.

Amalia Diaz
    Assistant Director

6. maklh

This is the exact email I got as well

7. epremed

Pre-Medical
    I wonder what this all means?

mmgrit35 likes this.
  8. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

Either none of us are accepted, or the decisions are entered in but for some reason they are not updated on the portal

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dustars, epremed and mmgrit35 like this.
  9. DrSpaceman1

Been following this thread the whole application cycle, but was finally motivated to make an account after all the confusion this past week. I called this morning and was told that the majority of accepted decisions for those who have interviewed have not been sent out yet, but should be sent out by the end of the day on Friday. But honestly idk whether this is true or the info in Gjo6's email is true, considering their email came from an Assistant Director of Admissions

10. iamstressed

I am stressed lol. I guess we can only just wait and see what happens tomorrow and in the following weeks. Honestly, best of luck to everyone. I hope we all get some good news for the holidays.

Dr. Thunderclaude and dustars like this.
  11. OBGYN in the making

Pre-Medical
    I say prepare for the worst. I really thought the interview went well, and my stats are good, but between this email from the Assistant Director and this rumor about lowering acceptance rates, I’m not hopeful.

12. pstomd

pstomd SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think all this means is we'll have to wait a little bit longer to take advantage of that 86% acceptance rate. They seem to be slowing down the acceptances and maybe only focusing on the highest stat applicants first. I'm sure we'll hear good news at subsequent adcom meetings. I believe the next one is on January 10th so maybe we'll hear something nice around then.

13. DrSpaceman1

Really wish there was a way to clear up the discrepancies in answers

OBGYN in the making likes this.
  14. whaling.around

username checks out

also, ditto :(

iamstressed likes this.
  15. premedlevel99

Someone else want to call to get another answer? I called yesterday and the person said they will be coming out through Friday.

road-to-MD-123 and DrSpaceman1 like this.
  16. tgc21

Pre-Medical
    As of 10:40 central time, whoever answered my call in admissions said that she doesn't know exactly when we will hear, but decisions are currently being manually entered and that at some point in the near future portals will change giving a decision one way or another...

whaling.around likes this.
  17. whaling.around

so maybe they entered the As first and now we're waiting for our deferred/WL/Rs in the portal? the discrepancy would be solved then...

18. Ilovepuppies2

Does this mean that the accepted are updated in the portal but not visible? Or anyone that’s accepted knows already? Someone should ask if you haven’t heard by now if it’s 100% not an acceptance or if they were updated but not everyone can see if they are accepted yet?

19. whaling.around

fwiw, there was someone last friday who got an acceptance via portal

20. PapaMuntz

I have to reiterate that I'm skeptical of these accounts (morecowbell, gjo6) that were just created and immediately post a single message that somehow contains insider information that no one else is receiving. If you read their posts carefully, there's really nothing a troll couldn't glean from ongoing convos in the thread and spin into bad news. Also not a single email I have received from UIC has been signed by an individual person, it's always just "Office of Medical College Admissions," and I highly doubt the Assistant Director of Admissions chose to personally answer this person's email.

Either way DON'T CALL OR EMAIL, Admissions is probably getting annoyed about answering all these rumors at this point. Not sure why trolls are trying to sabotage people's applications but no one is gonna make a call or email today that will gain any new information. We all need to relax and sit tight til we see what happens tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

#620 PapaMuntz, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  21. maklh

Don't think they're trolling, actually. I got the exact same email from UIC this morning from the assistant director of admissions saying all acceptances had gone out already.

Gjo6 and mmgrit35 like this.
  22. tgc21

Pre-Medical
    Definitely agree. This is the right perspective to have! I think it's time to step back and try our best to relax. Acceptances will come for many in time.

23. crispyboi

I feel like they’re using “gone out” very ambiguously, does it mean that the acceptances have all been updated in the portals? or that they’ve only decided who’s been accepted?

24. minimato

Pre-Medical
    Just to chime in and I interviewed in early October. Nobody knows the process other than admissions, and there's a lot of speculation, which will just lead to more and more stress for everyone involved. Calling admissions is not a great idea -- the phone is usually answered by a secretary, who isn't as informed about the current status of applicants. As rough as it is to wait, it's best to just give it time and see our statuses, hopefully by tomorrow and hope that there are more acceptances for everyone involved.

25. Gjo6

I’m not a troll but if that makes you feel better.. lol.. I just look at these threads all the time without an account but since I emailed them the other day and they actually responded I decided to post the response on here. I don’t think this email necessarily means people who haven’t heard back yet are not getting an acceptance, we might just be considered again later and just won’t be getting an acceptance right now.

To be honest though, I know a lot of people who went to UIC for undergrad and a few for med school and they are usually pretty slow at getting stuff done so this isn’t that surprising. I think we just need to sit tight and not keep calling and emailing because it’ll just make it slower lol

M0recowbell and iamstressed like this.
  26. maklh

Right, I have no idea if this information is correct or what exactly "gone out" means, I'm just saying that I also received the same email in response to the statement that they were being trolls.

mmgrit35 and M0recowbell like this.
  27. premedlevel99

It’s going to be a looong day

28. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

I called again, they said that decisions are still being enetered in manually and that we may hear back today but there is no guarantee.

29. mdfaithful

I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to interview at this amazing school. I realize that there are still many others waiting on an II; however, this post-II decision waiting has been a crazy ride. The past week was just full of confusion and anxiety. Hope most of us get decisions today (that A!) and be able to fully enjoy the upcoming holidays. It would be sad to have a Grinchy Christmas and start the New Year's with unanswered questions. :333333333 Anyways....hang in there everyone! Praying for all of us!

30. maklh

I wish it was actually confirmed whether all acceptances had gone out or not :confused:

mmgrit35 and owlsandturtles like this.
  31. lintroller120

Called the office of admissions. They said the reason why decisions are being put in manually was because there is a "glitch in the system" (so maybe when they said all the acceptances have gone out, it has not shown up on our portals but were accepted?), and she noted that some decisions may come out today. Keep your heads up!

mmgrit35 and maklh like this.
  32. OBGYN in the making

Pre-Medical
    “Some” .... “May” ....

33. lintroller120

Yep, sorry. I didn't want to give any false hope to anyone here but that was her exact wording.

truewolvgocrim1 and maklh like this.
  34. premedlevel99

Has no one heard back yet? I’m honestly baffled as to how only one SDN user has gotten a decision at this point

35. Dr. Thunderclaude

You really have to assume there’s a glitch. I mean, out of the 20+ people here with different interview dates, initials, and stats you would think at least some of us would have progressively been notified as we were manually entered, right? Idk, I’m just hardcore speculating at this point.

36. HausEmDee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Portal looks the same as it did the past 300 times I've checked it this week ("Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee."). I am hesitant to call the admissions office as I'm sure a lot of us have already done so asking the same questions.

37. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

If they had a “glitch” for a couple of days and they actually wanted to stick to the deadline they told us, they could have just sent acceptance emails out... it’s not hard to send out a general acceptance email. This whole thing is beyond frustrating

38. Bill Bob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a feeling we won't be hearing back until after New Year's unfortunately as everybody is about to take off for the Holidays.:(

joannapremed and truewolvgocrim1 like this.
  39. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    Yup :( I work in the public sector in Chicago and tbh no one has been around all day, and many aren't planning on being here until end of next week.

40. OBGYN in the making

Pre-Medical
    Just called and was told that anyone who didn’t get accepted has been deferred to the next committee meeting which is happening January 10, and if a decision is made for your application at that time, you will hear back by January 11. Happy holidays folks. At least we’re not rejected (yet).

41. Dr. Thunderclaude

So, do we think they gave out a significant number of acceptances, or do we think most people were deferred because of the glitch or whatever? I am still shocked none of us heard anything back all week and that they haven't tried to contact us at all to explain the issue.

mmgrit35 and owlsandturtles like this.
  42. HausEmDee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's just really odd that so few people on SDN posted about getting accepted, but at the interview, they seemed like they were going to be really cautious about sending acceptances (as to not overfill the class).

43. premedlevel99

At the end of the day we are at the mercy of the adcom, nothing to do now but wait until January 11th

Dr. Thunderclaude likes this.
  44. OBGYN in the making

Pre-Medical
    The lady I spoke to said a very small percentage of applicants were admitted. The majority were deferred.

45. epremed

Pre-Medical
    I wish they were more communicative. An email explaining the lack of response would be nice.

46. Max Renn

Feeling pretty disillusioned with the school at this point.

47. Cidermill

Hey lovely people, I've got some solid advice with purely good intentions: Relax:)

Whether you hear back now or later wont make a difference. Five years from now, you will not look back and say "$#@%! I wish I heard back in December instead of January, that really f**ked up my career!" Heck, you wont even be thinking that five months from now. I promise. This cycle is long and it will test your character. Be patient.

Yes, their inability to live up to their decision-date commitment is frustrating.
    Yes, their lack of communication is boarder-line offensive
    Yes, for some of you it would've been great to go home to your families with a positive response to the question "Have you been accepted anywhere yet?"

... but... we should be thankful that they even decided to interview us. Don't let this situation beat up on your character. Relax and enjoy the holiday break.

Murray Chrizmuz and Habby Chrysler
    — UIC Office of Admissions (jk)

dustars, haparuca, maklh and 2 others like this.
  48. Max Renn

I appreciate your intent, but think people are rightfully upset. We've invested a lot of time and effort in this process and it feels like UIC isn't respecting that. They don't owe us acceptances, but they do owe keeping their word and dealing with us in a forthright way. It's also disappointing because it suggests the school isn't run well. There's an obvious lack of accountability here that I worry extends to the whole place.

#648 Max Renn, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    chemE_MD, premedplz, maklh and 5 others like this.
  49. Cidermill

As a physician you are gonna come across a whoooole lotta patients who will make you feel rightfully upset. Freaking out about it each time will burn you out in the long run. Being impatient isn't gonna alleviate the situation any faster. And not relaxing (the point of my post) isn't gonna make you feel any better. You can both recognize someone/something is wrong and handle it well at the same time

50. mdfaithful

“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

Have a happy happy holiday guys!
    It is what it is at this point. Let's all have a deep breath and look at the bright side (none of us got outright rejected), which leaves us still hoping for the good news. Hope you guys all have a joyful holiday near your loved ones. Let's recuperate from our recent exhaustive event and recharge for 2019, which surely will be a grinding wait throughout this cycle. Peace :love:

dustars, medngame, fling105 and 6 others like this.