2018-2019 University of Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like they’re using “gone out” very ambiguously, does it mean that the acceptances have all been updated in the portals? or that they’ve only decided who’s been accepted?

Just to chime in and I interviewed in early October. Nobody knows the process other than admissions, and there's a lot of speculation, which will just lead to more and more stress for everyone involved. Calling admissions is not a great idea -- the phone is usually answered by a secretary, who isn't as informed about the current status of applicants. As rough as it is to wait, it's best to just give it time and see our statuses, hopefully by tomorrow and hope that there are more acceptances for everyone involved.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I have to reiterate that I'm skeptical of these accounts (morecowbell, gjo6) that were just created and immediately post a single message that somehow contains insider information that no one else is receiving. If you read their posts carefully, there's really nothing a troll couldn't glean from ongoing convos in the thread and spin into bad news. Also not a single email I have received from UIC has been signed by an individual person, it's always just "Office of Medical College Admissions," and I highly doubt the Assistant Director of Admissions chose to personally answer this person's email.

Either way DON'T CALL OR EMAIL, Admissions is probably getting annoyed about answering all these rumors at this point. Not sure why trolls are trying to sabotage people's applications but no one is gonna make a call or email today that will gain any new information. We all need to relax and sit tight til we see what happens tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
I’m not a troll but if that makes you feel better.. lol.. I just look at these threads all the time without an account but since I emailed them the other day and they actually responded I decided to post the response on here. I don’t think this email necessarily means people who haven’t heard back yet are not getting an acceptance, we might just be considered again later and just won’t be getting an acceptance right now.

To be honest though, I know a lot of people who went to UIC for undergrad and a few for med school and they are usually pretty slow at getting stuff done so this isn’t that surprising. I think we just need to sit tight and not keep calling and emailing because it’ll just make it slower lol

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like they’re using “gone out” very ambiguously, does it mean that the acceptances have all been updated in the portals? or that they’ve only decided who’s been accepted?

Right, I have no idea if this information is correct or what exactly "gone out" means, I'm just saying that I also received the same email in response to the statement that they were being trolls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called again, they said that decisions are still being enetered in manually and that we may hear back today but there is no guarantee.

Reactions: 4 users
I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to interview at this amazing school. I realize that there are still many others waiting on an II; however, this post-II decision waiting has been a crazy ride. The past week was just full of confusion and anxiety. Hope most of us get decisions today (that A!) and be able to fully enjoy the upcoming holidays. It would be sad to have a Grinchy Christmas and start the New Year's with unanswered questions. :333333333 Anyways....hang in there everyone! Praying for all of us!

Reactions: 10 users
I wish it was actually confirmed whether all acceptances had gone out or not :confused:

Called the office of admissions. They said the reason why decisions are being put in manually was because there is a "glitch in the system" (so maybe when they said all the acceptances have gone out, it has not shown up on our portals but were accepted?), and she noted that some decisions may come out today. Keep your heads up!

Called the office of admissions. They said the reason why decisions are being put in manually was because there is a "glitch in the system" (so maybe when they said all the acceptances have gone out, it has not shown up on our portals but were accepted?), and she noted that some decisions may come out today. Keep your heads up!
“Some” .... “May” ....

Reactions: 3 users
Has no one heard back yet? I’m honestly baffled as to how only one SDN user has gotten a decision at this point

Reactions: 5 users
You really have to assume there’s a glitch. I mean, out of the 20+ people here with different interview dates, initials, and stats you would think at least some of us would have progressively been notified as we were manually entered, right? Idk, I’m just hardcore speculating at this point.

Portal looks the same as it did the past 300 times I've checked it this week ("Your application has been forwarded to the admissions committee."). I am hesitant to call the admissions office as I'm sure a lot of us have already done so asking the same questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If they had a “glitch” for a couple of days and they actually wanted to stick to the deadline they told us, they could have just sent acceptance emails out... it’s not hard to send out a general acceptance email. This whole thing is beyond frustrating

I have a feeling we won't be hearing back until after New Year's unfortunately as everybody is about to take off for the Holidays.:(

Yup :( I work in the public sector in Chicago and tbh no one has been around all day, and many aren't planning on being here until end of next week.

Just called and was told that anyone who didn’t get accepted has been deferred to the next committee meeting which is happening January 10, and if a decision is made for your application at that time, you will hear back by January 11. Happy holidays folks. At least we’re not rejected (yet).

Reactions: 6 users
So, do we think they gave out a significant number of acceptances, or do we think most people were deferred because of the glitch or whatever? I am still shocked none of us heard anything back all week and that they haven't tried to contact us at all to explain the issue.

So, do we think they gave out a significant number of acceptances, or do we think most people were deferred because of the glitch or whatever? I am still shocked none of us heard anything back all week and that they haven't tried to contact us at all to explain the issue.
It's just really odd that so few people on SDN posted about getting accepted, but at the interview, they seemed like they were going to be really cautious about sending acceptances (as to not overfill the class).

Reactions: 2 users
At the end of the day we are at the mercy of the adcom, nothing to do now but wait until January 11th

Reactions: 1 user
The lady I spoke to said a very small percentage of applicants were admitted. The majority were deferred.

I wish they were more communicative. An email explaining the lack of response would be nice.

Reactions: 8 users
Feeling pretty disillusioned with the school at this point.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey lovely people, I've got some solid advice with purely good intentions: Relax:)

Whether you hear back now or later wont make a difference. Five years from now, you will not look back and say "$#@%! I wish I heard back in December instead of January, that really f**ked up my career!" Heck, you wont even be thinking that five months from now. I promise. This cycle is long and it will test your character. Be patient.

Yes, their inability to live up to their decision-date commitment is frustrating.
Yes, their lack of communication is boarder-line offensive
Yes, for some of you it would've been great to go home to your families with a positive response to the question "Have you been accepted anywhere yet?"

... but... we should be thankful that they even decided to interview us. Don't let this situation beat up on your character. Relax and enjoy the holiday break.

Murray Chrizmuz and Habby Chrysler
— UIC Office of Admissions (jk)

I appreciate your intent, but think people are rightfully upset. We've invested a lot of time and effort in this process and it feels like UIC isn't respecting that. They don't owe us acceptances, but they do owe keeping their word and dealing with us in a forthright way. It's also disappointing because it suggests the school isn't run well. There's an obvious lack of accountability here that I worry extends to the whole place.

Last edited:
I appreciate your intent, but think people are rightfully upset. We've invested a lot of time and effort in this process and it feels like UIC isn't respecting that. They don't owe us acceptances, but they do owe keeping their word and dealing with us in a forthright way. It's also disappointing because it suggests the school isn't run well. There's an obvious lack of accountability here that I worry extends to the whole place.
As a physician you are gonna come across a whoooole lotta patients who will make you feel rightfully upset. Freaking out about it each time will burn you out in the long run. Being impatient isn't gonna alleviate the situation any faster. And not relaxing (the point of my post) isn't gonna make you feel any better. You can both recognize someone/something is wrong and handle it well at the same time

“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
― C.S. Lewis

Have a happy happy holiday guys!
It is what it is at this point. Let's all have a deep breath and look at the bright side (none of us got outright rejected), which leaves us still hoping for the good news. Hope you guys all have a joyful holiday near your loved ones. Let's recuperate from our recent exhaustive event and recharge for 2019, which surely will be a grinding wait throughout this cycle. Peace :love:

Reactions: 8 users
I was accepted last Friday, interviewed late October, and was able to send my campus preferences earlier this week via the portal. Good luck everyone!

As a physician you are gonna come across a whoooole lotta patients who will make you feel rightfully upset. Freaking out about it each time will burn you out in the long run. Being impatient isn't gonna alleviate the situation any faster. And not relaxing (the point of my post) isn't gonna make you feel any better. You can both recognize someone/something is wrong and handle it well at the same time

I don’t think anyone on here is handling this situation not well. They’re doing exactly what this thread is meant for - discussing what’s going on with the cycle for this specific school. It just so happens that it’s currently incredibly frustrating with all the conflicting answers and lack of transparency. Just because you’re going to come across patients who will make you feel rightfully upset doesn’t mean people can’t express those frustrations on this thread, even though I know you’re just trying to help everyone but saying to relax and such. Yes I’m incredibly thankful that I even had the opportunity to interview, but that doesn’t mean we all can’t be a little upset/express that we’re upset given the circumstances. :)

Hey y'all, this question is kinda off topic, but where do you submit your update letters? It's not through the portal, I don't think?

Hey y'all, this question is kinda off topic, but where do you submit your update letters? It's not through the portal, I don't think?

I submitted mine to their admissions email and they accepted it!

So still stuck at the wonderful “forwarded” status... does anyone know where they are at as far as scheduling interviews (feb dates, March dates)?

I submitted mine to their admissions email and they accepted it!
Did you submit it the update to the medadmit@uic email? I sent an update to them back in September, but I never heard anything back (although I’ve seen mixed things here about whether or not they’ll respond)

Did you submit it the update to the medadmit@uic email? I sent an update to them back in September, but I never heard anything back (although I’ve seen mixed things here about whether or not they’ll respond)
I never heard back from them regarding my email update either.

Hey all,
I have a couple friends applying here this cycle and so I was browsing through this page and wanted to give my two cents here. I’m a student at UIC now and I went through this same thing last year. The adminssions people are super slow about everything, and they don’t really keep their word on deadlines (in fact they were 4 months late in telling me where my campus placement was). They are bad at communication and it’s very very easy to get flustered and annoyed with the whole process.
BUT
Beyond the bad admissions team, UIC as a school is pretty good. The faculty is nice and the way they have their classes set up and hospital visits set up is honestly pretty awesome. Don’t lose faith in the school because people from admissions aren’t as transparent as they should be.
Anyways, just wanted to leave that here. I’m sure it won’t really change most people’s viewpoint on UIC, but eh. Happy holidays and good luck to everyone

Reactions: 13 users
Does anyone have any idea when we’re all going to hear back? The lack of transparency about admission dates is incredibly frustrating.

I declined my interview. Hopefully this opens a spot for one of y'all soon!

Does anyone have any idea when we’re all going to hear back? The lack of transparency about admission dates is incredibly frustrating.

Hey, I understand your frustration. I interviewed in November and I have a friend who had his interview even earlier. Neither of us have heard back yet. I don't know how much this admissions process has been frustrating you, and I don't want to sound presumptuous, but don't allow the admissions process to take a toll on you. Be the better person by looking past this slow, grueling waiting period and finding opportunities to enjoy life or improve yourself. Find the holiday months as an opportunity for personal growth with the mindset that you will be attending medical school come Fall 2019. That's how I've been handling the situation. I've been spending a lot of my time this break learning three languages, working on my passion, and picking up extra shifts at my work. I believe that all of us here are capable of being patient and understanding of the AdComs, and I believe we owe it to ourselves to find opportunities to focus on our own growth and exploration (after years of working so hard to earn the privilege of going to medical school) before we matriculate. Happy New Year and I hope 2019 brings excitement and prosperity to you!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have an idea when the admissions committee will be meeting this month? I was hoping to send in my transcript so it could be considered with my file.

Does anyone have an idea when the admissions committee will be meeting this month? I was hoping to send in my transcript so it could be considered with my file.
I think someone said Jan 10th earlier in the thread

I think someone said Jan 10th earlier in the thread
at my interview they said they meet every third thursday (january 17th) and release every third friday (january 18th). but it might be the tenth because thats what someone else posted ? for february, it'll be the fourth thursday + friday though because the third thursday is valentines day

Does UIC send pre-interview rejections now, or do they wait until the end of the cycle (Spring time)?

When I called a couple weeks ago they said January 10th.

I submitted my campus preferences via the portal mid-December. Any idea when I will hear about my campus placement? The timeline is pretty unclear..

I’m interviewing here next week. Any advice? It’s my first interview of the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile