2022-2023 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how many II's have been given out for Duluth this cycle? Haven't heard anything, starting to get nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete Aug 10, IS, already heard back from TC campus (unexpectedly tbh) and zilch from Duluth. I wrote my personal statement around rural medicine... I think they're just behind because they have to interview a ton of people who applied for the rural or indigenous pathway for both the Duluth and Twin Cities campus. I hope we hear soon!

Complete Aug 10, IS, already heard back from TC campus (unexpectedly tbh) and zilch from Duluth. I wrote my personal statement around rural medicine... I think they're just behind because they have to interview a ton of people who applied for the rural or indigenous pathway for both the Duluth and Twin Cities campus. I hope we hear soon!
What pathways did you apply for and when did you hear back?

I applied for the both the rural and indigenous pathways, and the 2SLGBTQIA+ pathway. Got an II for TC on 10/31.

I was complete on 08/10. I took a lil over 2 weeks to send my secondary in. Lower stat applicant here, but have a strong narrative and ECs and am an older non-trad.

Last edited:
Anyone receive an A to Duluth? I saw a few WL in the Twin Cities thread. I wonder how many interviews/slots are still available in Duluth.

Reactions: 1 users
I figured we'd see at least one person say they got an A to Duluth.

Anyone know how many II's have been given out for Duluth this cycle? Haven't heard anything, starting to get nervous.
Feel this. I submitted my secondary 8/25 and have heard nothing from either campus. Want to know if I should start preparing to reapply :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking through last years thread, it looks like they started accepting late November and interviews lasted through March which was slow moving. Looks like it's even more slow moving this year. Wild that there are zero confirmed acceptances in the middle of December. I have to imagine the reason is the new format has significantly impacted Duluth admissions. Twin Cities seems to be rolling right along.

Reactions: 1 user
Have an interview coming up here, did those of you who interviewed find it pretty chill? All I've been doing is reviewing my primary/secondary and focusing on why rural but my only other interviews have been MMI and super random questions so I'm feeling unprepared lol

Have an interview coming up here, did those of you who interviewed find it pretty chill? All I've been doing is reviewing my primary/secondary and focusing on why rural but my only other interviews have been MMI and super random questions so I'm feeling unprepared lol
When did you apply?

Mine was very chill. Nothing too crazy for questions. Just general stuff about experiences and rural med if that's your pathway. Very conversational.

Does anyone know how many ppl have been accepted to Duluth as of now?

Hi, I am an IS applicant with strong ties and interviewed for the Indigenous Health Pathway on November 2. I was waitlisted on December 9. Thank you for helping to confirm that you have also been waitlisted at Duluth. That makes me feel a lot better about my chances of receiving an acceptance. This is my first choice program and I let my interviewers know that. They told me that I am a really great fit for the program and that they are interested in doing research with me, although they want to prioritize Native American applicants, understandably. I am trying to remain optimistic about receiving good news this May or June since this program aligns with my future career and life goals. Has anyone else applied for the Indigenous Health Pathway and were you interviewed? I will post this in both group threads. Thank you ❤️

To confirm, I was told by admissions that the final interviews for Duluth are in March.

Does anyone know when they'll send out info regarding where we are on the waitlist? I thought they said March but maybe I'm mistaken.

Interviewed 2/10 heard nothing yet. Anyone else hearing anything?

I am wishing everybody the best outcome this cycle! ⭐️ I am waitlisted at Duluth and am feeling nervous about what the final decision will be and when it will come. Please please please, if you have been accepted or waitlisted at UMN and know you for sure want to go to a different medical school, please turn UMN down before May 1. It could make a big difference for people on the waitlist and could help them to hear back sooner. Thank you in advance for your kindness and consideration.🙏❤️

anyone get in off alternate list since they sent out that email mid April?

anyone get in off alternate list since they sent out that email mid April?
Hi, in mid April I received an email from Duluth’s admissions,
“The Duluth Admissions Committee has completed consideration of all candidates for the Rural and/or Indigenous health pathways. We are now able to form the waitlist list. We had a remarkable number of very strong applicants this year, and 105 candidates are on the waitlist.

Since the entering class of 2000, the average number of acceptances from the alternate list has been 24; the range has been 12 to 38.

You are in the top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 1 to 35. We do not release specific placements on this list. Most changes in the class occur in April and May, but it is not uncommon for changes to come late in the summer. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to offer you an acceptance this cycle, please know that our Admissions Committee was very impressed with your accomplishments.

If you do not wish to be on our alternate list, out of consideration for others on the list, please let us know.

We appreciate your interest in our school and wish you the best of luck.”

Unfortunately/fortunately, I haven’t heard from admissions since then. I will post in the group when I hear a final decision! I’m hoping for the best fingers crossed! Good luck!

Hi, in mid April I received an email from Duluth’s admissions,
“The Duluth Admissions Committee has completed consideration of all candidates for the Rural and/or Indigenous health pathways. We are now able to form the waitlist list. We had a remarkable number of very strong applicants this year, and 105 candidates are on the waitlist.

Since the entering class of 2000, the average number of acceptances from the alternate list has been 24; the range has been 12 to 38.

You are in the top section of the alternate list, with a rank of 1 to 35. We do not release specific placements on this list. Most changes in the class occur in April and May, but it is not uncommon for changes to come late in the summer. While we cannot guarantee that we will be able to offer you an acceptance this cycle, please know that our Admissions Committee was very impressed with your accomplishments.

If you do not wish to be on our alternate list, out of consideration for others on the list, please let us know.

We appreciate your interest in our school and wish you the best of luck.”

Unfortunately/fortunately, I haven’t heard from admissions since then. I will post in the group when I hear a final decision! I’m hoping for the best fingers crossed! Good luck!
Yup same here! Good luck to you too man.

Any updates from the Duluth WL? I am also in the top section and am curious if it's only been TC applicants getting invitations off the waitlist.

Has anyone heard if there's been any waitlist movement yet? I also received the email about being in the top 35 of the waitlist, but I haven't gotten anything yet.

Has anyone heard if there's been any waitlist movement yet? I also received the email about being in the top 35 of the waitlist, but I haven't gotten anything yet.
Was just about to ask the same thing. Also top 35 and haven't heard anything.

Me neither. And I check my phone way too often to see if I got any emails or anything lol. No one new in the Duluth accepted facebook group so they're probably just taking their time.

I feel like everyone in this thread is in the same sort of purgatory haha. I’m also “Top 35” of the Duluth waitlist. It’s been a month since I was informed of that, I can only wait so long before I have to commit to another school and it’s kinda getting to me.

I feel like everyone in this thread is in the same sort of purgatory haha. I’m also “Top 35” of the Duluth waitlist. It’s been a month since I was informed of that, I can only wait so long before I have to commit to another school and it’s kinda getting to me.
I remember telling family n friends back in April when I got that email that I might get in, but now whenever I see them they ask if I got in and I got nothing to say. Kinda wish I never told ppl, got my hopes up higher than they needed to b. that purgatory is real hahah

I remember telling family n friends back in April when I got that email that I might get in, but now whenever I see them they ask if I got in and I got nothing to say. Kinda wish I never told ppl, got my hopes up higher than they needed to b. that purgatory is real hahah
Maybe we’ll all get in and laugh about this someday (I lost hope a couple weeks ago)

Has anyone reached out to Duluth about the timeline for the waitlist? I called and am waiting to hear back. Hoping that the movement happening for TC admissions is indicative of an update from Duluth in the next week.

Has anyone reached out to Duluth about the timeline for the waitlist? I called and am waiting to hear back. Hoping that the movement happening for TC admissions is indicative of an update from Duluth in the next week.
I got a response this morning. they said some movement has begun and they are/will be making offers straight from the waitlist (no batch offers). They also anticipate a little movement from now to July and encourage matriculating elsewhere/reapplying.

Yeah I called Duluth admissions on May 25th, in April I was told I was in the top third. They encouraged me to pursue my other acceptance and said "don't hold out" for them. The lady told me the movement has been slower this year and that they expected it to slow down the next few weeks even more. So, yeah, I kinda just put it out of my mind. I have until June 12th to commit to enroll to my other acceptance and then I won't be able to hold out for Duluth anymore

Yeah I called Duluth admissions on May 25th, in April I was told I was in the top third. They encouraged me to pursue my other acceptance and said "don't hold out" for them. The lady told me the movement has been slower this year and that they expected it to slow down the next few weeks even more. So, yeah, I kinda just put it out of my mind. I have until June 12th to commit to enroll to my other acceptance and then I won't be able to hold out for Duluth anymore
Did they actually pick up the phone? Because I called on May 22nd and still haven't heard back.

Accepted this morning around 9:45am!!!!! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 Interviewed in early November and was waitlisted in early December.