2018-2019 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today, OOS with very strong ties, LizzyM 74, complete 8/23. Anyone know what I should do if none of the interview dates are possible for me?

I had the same issue, just call the admissions office and they can schedule you for a date that works with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently a first year at the OKC campus, but I was accepted to both tracks when I was an applicant. If anyone has any questions in regards to what it’s like to be a student at OUHSC, why I chose to go here over other MD schools, or if you have questions about the interview/application feel free to reach out.

The first interview day is tomorrow, good luck to all of you who will be here!

I’m currently a first year at the OKC campus, but I was accepted to both tracks when I was an applicant. If anyone has any questions in regards to what it’s like to be a student at OUHSC, why I chose to go here over other MD schools, or if you have questions about the interview/application feel free to reach out.

What was your impression of the interivew? I hear that it’s a panel which makes me kinda nervous

Why go here? Is it mostly a family in the area thing or is there something else that drew you here

Last I heard, grades aren’t p/f. Do you think that hurts you in anyway? Does it make your class more competitive

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your impression of the interivew? I hear that it's a panel which makes me kinda nervous
All of the admissions committee members I've interacted with are super friendly people. The idea of being interviewed by three people at once is daunting, but everyone I've talked to about it says they settled in pretty quickly once the conversation started going. An important note to remember is that they'll ask questions pertaining to the AAMC's Core Competencies, so it is very unlikely that you get a question designed to throw you off. I went on multiple MD interviews and OU was one of the more laid back ones.

Why go here? Is it mostly a family in the area thing or is there something else that drew you here

The closest family I have lives two hours away. I went to OU mainly because of the opportunities OU Medical Center and the clinics under its umbrella offers. OUMC is the biggest hospital in the state and gets all the big cases in a pretty large radius, which means there's tons of opportunities to see cool/rare cases as well as opportunities to explore tons of different specialties and sub-specialties. Also, as the only MD program in the state, you have access to endless alumni connections and resources meant to help you succeed. Furthermore, you'll come to find out that OUHSC gives out a lot of scholarships and financial aid in comparison to other similarly ranked schools, that's a big reason why lots of people who get into multiple schools end up coming here.

Last I heard, grades aren’t p/f. Do you think that hurts you in anyway? Does it make your class more competitive

Pre-clinical grades (M1 and M2) are true pass/fail, they were on a honors pass/pass/fail system until this year but now it's strictly pass/fail. Clinical grades (M3 and M4) are either pass/fail or a traditional letter grade system, depending on the individual rotation. That's the case because most residency programs still want to see how you did in comparison to others in that specialty's rotation.

In terms of competitiveness, we have a pretty collaborative environment here. The module system does a lot to build friendships and mod mates will always share Anki decks, study guides, or any information they find out from upperclassmen about a particular class or exam we have coming up. There's also a Google Drive that's passed on from the class above which contains all sorts of study guides, practice questions, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
II October 22nd! LizzyM 69, file complete a week before—so don't lose hope for those who are "late" to complete!

edit: in-state

How important is research experience for acceptance here? Is it a make or break an application kinda thing or is it just more of like a bonus

How important is research experience for acceptance here? Is it a make or break an application kinda thing or is it just more of like a bonus
Does this school really value resesrch that much? I didn’t get that vibe lol

Does this school really value resesrch that much? I didn’t get that vibe lol
Gotcha. Just wondering because I haven’t had much research experience at all and I would hate to not be accepted because of it.

Gotcha. Just wondering because I haven’t had much research experience at all and I would hate to not be accepted because of it.
You should be fine. They sound more concerned with experiences working with the underserved and service in general

All of the admissions committee members I've interacted with are super friendly people. The idea of being interviewed by three people at once is daunting, but everyone I've talked to about it says they settled in pretty quickly once the conversation started going. An important note to remember is that they'll ask questions pertaining to the AAMC's Core Competencies, so it is very unlikely that you get a question designed to throw you off. I went on multiple MD interviews and OU was one of the more laid back ones.

The closest family I have lives two hours away. I went to OU mainly because of the opportunities OU Medical Center and the clinics under its umbrella offers. OUMC is the biggest hospital in the state and gets all the big cases in a pretty large radius, which means there's tons of opportunities to see cool/rare cases as well as opportunities to explore tons of different specialties and sub-specialties. Also, as the only MD program in the state, you have access to endless alumni connections and resources meant to help you succeed. Furthermore, you'll come to find out that OUHSC gives out a lot of scholarships and financial aid in comparison to other similarly ranked schools, that's a big reason why lots of people who get into multiple schools end up coming here.

Pre-clinical grades (M1 and M2) are true pass/fail, they were on a honors pass/pass/fail system until this year but now it's strictly pass/fail. Clinical grades (M3 and M4) are either pass/fail or a traditional letter grade system, depending on the individual rotation. That's the case because most residency programs still want to see how you did in comparison to others in that specialty's rotation.

In terms of competitiveness, we have a pretty collaborative environment here. The module system does a lot to build friendships and mod mates will always share Anki decks, study guides, or any information they find out from upperclassmen about a particular class or exam we have coming up. There's also a Google Drive that's passed on from the class above which contains all sorts of study guides, practice questions, etc.

Sorry, I wanted to clarify something. I'm a first year as well and we're NOT true p/f. We still have internal rankings. Our ranks are 30% 1st/2nd year and 70% 3rd/4th year. Just because they got rid of H/P/F doesn't really change much when people walk around saying they got 98s on the tests lol

Sorry, I wanted to clarify something. I'm a first year as well and we're NOT true p/f. We still have internal rankings. Our ranks are 30% 1st/2nd year and 70% 3rd/4th year. Just because they got rid of H/P/F doesn't really change much when people walk around saying they got 98s on the tests lol
Wait so there’s an actual ranking? Not quartiles?

Members don't see this ad :)

My apologies I meant that the actual grade you get is either Pass or Fail not a letter grade. You’re ranked internally but you only ever get to know the quartile you’re in (top 25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, bottom 25%). It does make preclinical classes much less stressful though because clinical rotations weigh a lot more heavily into our ranking.

A lot of my class didn’t have any research coming into medical school, so it’s a bonus not really a hinderance.

My apologies I meant that the actual grade you get is either Pass or Fail not a letter grade. You’re ranked internally but you only ever get to know the quartile you’re in (top 25%, 25-50%, 50-75%, bottom 25%). It does make preclinical classes much less stressful though because clinical rotations weigh a lot more heavily into our ranking.

A lot of my class didn’t have any research coming into medical school, so it’s a bonus not really a hinderance.
Glad to hear that. Thanks for the reply; I know you must be bogged down with an inordinate amount of things to do

Has anyone heard back yet? Curious because last year the first round went out a week after interviews.

Has anyone heard back yet? Curious because last year the first round went out a week after interviews.
Negative. Was wondering the same thing though.

Can anyone provide a layout of interview day? I’ve gotten nothing from them lol
Intro in the morning. On my day we were split into groups of three, one group interviewed after intro, the other two would go on tours of different parts of campus. After the first group is done interviewing another group goes, and then the third group would interview when the second group is done. Lunch is provided (and the best lunch I've had on my interviews lol), and if you applied to the SCM you'll interview with them that afternoon, but it is much more relaxed and just to evaluate if you're a good fit for their campus.

Negative. Was wondering the same thing though.

Intro in the morning. On my day we were split into groups of three, one group interviewed after intro, the other two would go on tours of different parts of campus. After the first group is done interviewing another group goes, and then the third group would interview when the second group is done. Lunch is provided (and the best lunch I've had on my interviews lol), and if you applied to the SCM you'll interview with them that afternoon, but it is much more relaxed and just to evaluate if you're a good fit for their campus.
Thanks! What time should the interview day end by? I’m trying to book flights

OOS? When were you complete and how are your ties? I'm also OOS and very hopeful for an II.
Yup. Complete early July. Went to school in OK. I think a lot of it is luck lol. I didn’t even get an II last cycle

Reactions: 1 user
What was your impression of the interivew? I hear that it’s a panel which makes me kinda nervous

Hey I've seen you on multiple threads, just wondering what your stats are and if you have gotten any interview invites elsewhere? Acceptances?

Hey I've seen you on multiple threads, just wondering what your stats are and if you have gotten any interview invites elsewhere? Acceptances?
Hey! I remember you too! PM me if you still wanna know

The last day of interviews this semester today, is that correct? Or are there more in December?

\
The last day of interviews this semester today, is that correct? Or are there more in December?

There are more dates in December. I was offered a few different December dates when I chose my date.

Withdrew my interview invite here! Hopefully someone here gets it

Anybody know if any acceptances have been offered yet?

Do you know when the first acceptances are sent out

interviewed oct. 25
IS
512 MCAT/3.86 GPA
no offer yet

anyone know when the first round of acceptances are sent?

First interview is Oct 26 give or take a day or two, I can’t remember exactly. I’m a current student and heard about it last week.
Did you get the acceptance email in November or December or was it later

Just turned down an II hopefully someone out there picks it up, MCAT 512/3.33gpa, good luck everyone!

Did you get the acceptance email in November or December or was it later

I'm an intern now so it may have changed, but for my year and all the years I was in school, they sent it out near the end of the 1st week or beginning of the 2nd week of December

I'm an intern now so it may have changed, but for my year and all the years I was in school, they sent it out near the end of the 1st week or beginning of the 2nd week of December
Thanks a lot

I submitted my secondary at the end of August and have not heard back from them at all. I'm also OOS.

Do you know when the first acceptances are sent out

Sorry for the late response, still recovering from Anatomy!

Last year, the first round of acceptances went out a week after the first interview date. Based on this thread, I guess they’ve given themselves more time to deliberate this year.

Generally, anyone that interviews during the first semester will hear back (acceptance, hold, or rejection) before Christmas.

Thanks a lot -that helps
Coming back for PhD interview next week

Accepted today! Got the e-mail 2:37 PM this afternoon. Interviewed 10/29

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Check your email account you fools
Were you in Medical Humanities program? the MD/BA program? I heard they got theirs first

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary at the end of August and have not heard back from them at all. I'm also OOS.

I submitted early August and am in the same boat.. I'm OOS but have strong ties.