2018-2019 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who are attending the Friday clinical rounds, did you receive the HIPPA training course link in an email? I don't think I did.

In the Interview Agenda it says:
"To prepare for clinical rounds, you must complete two items. 1. You must complete a mandatory training module regarding privacy of health information referred to as HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Even though you may have received HIPAA training elsewhere, our institutional policy requires you complete the UT Southwestern Protecting Health Information (formerly: HIPAA 2015) course. Instructions to complete the course have been attached to your invitation email."

For those who are attending the Friday clinical rounds, did you receive the HIPPA training course link in an email? I don't think I did.

In the Interview Agenda it says:
"To prepare for clinical rounds, you must complete two items. 1. You must complete a mandatory training module regarding privacy of health information referred to as HIPAA or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Even though you may have received HIPAA training elsewhere, our institutional policy requires you complete the UT Southwestern Protecting Health Information (formerly: HIPAA 2015) course. Instructions to complete the course have been attached to your invitation email."
Reach out to admissions if you didn't!

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified on 7/13 and still no MSTP secondary (I'm not applying through TMDSAS). Is it worth sending an email?

Verified on 7/13 and still no MSTP secondary (I'm not applying through TMDSAS). Is it worth sending an email?

I wouldn't worry about it yet. I contacted the office yesterday asking about the secondary e-mail I received, and they said that the secondary wasn't actually live at the moment. They'll probably send out the MSTP secondary e-mails en masse when it's actually live. I'll update here when I can access it.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't worry about it yet. I contacted the office yesterday asking about the secondary e-mail I received, and they said that the secondary wasn't actually live at the moment. They'll probably send out the MSTP secondary e-mails en masse when it's actually live. I'll update here when I can access it.

why is this taking forever omg

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! Current MS1 here. I'm procrastinating studying for our first exam and would love to answer any questions you may have!

Is the gunner thing true?

No. I am sure there are a few that I have not had a chance to meet yet, but so far as I can tell right now everybody is incredibly helpful and we really do want the best for each other. I am sure upperclassmen can speak to this better than I can, but once you step foot on campus you realize that there are way too many people offering you help. Nobody wants to see anybody else fail. The administration, the upperclassmen, and even students in your class are all trying to help each other. I'm sure there are a few gunners, but overall everyone wants to help each other!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! Current MS1 here. I'm procrastinating studying for our first exam and would love to answer any questions you may have!
Nice :D. Good luck on the first exam :)
Is the gunner thing true?
No it is not at all in pre-clerkship (it's pass/fail anyway). During clerkship, there are a few instances of random people becoming a little more gunner-y... Not in a shooting other people down way, but rather in a "look at me I'm more awesome than my classmates" way. I have not encountered them and from what I've heard, it's not perceived well at all by residents and attendings, so I imagine they'd quickly tone it down. Classmates are extremely helpful and generous with sharing knowledge and advice in my experiences so far (all of pre-clerkship + 4 clerkships so far).

Reactions: 4 users
MSTP Update: Just received an e-mail with the correct information and link for the MSTP secondary.

Questions asked are pretty basic:

Why are you interested in MD/PhD training at UT Southwestern in particular? (200 char)

Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer's disease, rational drug design, etc.). (200 char)

List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you ]. (200 char)

If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state "none"). (200 char)

MSTP Update: Just received an e-mail with the correct information and link for the MSTP secondary.

Why are you interested in MD/PhD training at UT Southwestern in particular? (200 char)

Describe the type of research you are currently most interested in pursuing for your PhD training. You can be general or specific (e.g., genetics, biochemistry, Alzheimer's disease, rational drug design, etc.). (200 char)

List names of up to five UT Southwestern faculty whose research is of particular interest to you ]. (200 char)

If you wish, please describe major hardships or adversity you have overcome to reach this point in your life (if none, please state "none"). (200 char)

ty for sharing. I havent received either email - incorrect or correct link. Any other MSTP apps get this?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just got the secondary too!

Just got the secondary too!

I think interview invites will be sent out soon, because their first listed interview day on the Google Calendar is September 14th...

Should I be worried I still haven't gotten the MSTP secondary?

@Lucca and I have not either.

@Lucca is the killing the MD/PhD cycle rn so if he has not received one I wouldn't be worried! haha. Not too sure how UTSW is handling MSTP this year

/shrug no idea either. I’m being patient. I have the MD only interview here scheduled for 10/20 atm so next week I might send an email and ask about MSTP secondary if I don’t have it

/shrug no idea either. I’m being patient. I have the MD only interview here scheduled for 10/20 atm so next week I might send an email and ask about MSTP secondary if I don’t have it

I talked to the MSTP director in early July and he said they're switching secondary platforms. Because of this, he said the process might be delayed a bit.

Just got the application acknowledgement + link to MSTP secondary forms. OOS.

Wait 200 characters is nothing. That's like three lines? How are y'all getting all the information in there?

Wait 200 characters is nothing. That's like three lines? How are y'all getting all the information in there?
yeah it really is quite small!

I kept it short and sweet. But actually found it harder to complete than longer word prompts!

II today! Lizzy75, IS, ORM, application complete early August. Earliest interview dates were in October.

II today! IS, LizzyM 74-75, complete 6/13. Just as a heads up it seems like there are fewer spots at clinical rounds than there are for the corresponding interview date, so you might have to compromise with a later interview date if you want to do the Friday morning program.

When will they send out another batch of IIs? It seems like most positions are filled...

When will they send out another batch of IIs? It seems like most positions are filled...
Per their website: "Interviews are by invitation only and take place from early September through early January."

The general recommendation on this site is that if you don't hear back from anyone by Thanksgiving, it's time to start planning ahead.

Don’t have very high hopes for this, but...

if anybody has a September interview date and needs to cancel/reschedule, let me know haha. I have a date the last week of October but I’m leaving for a job abroad at the beginning of October so it would be awesome if i could interview before I left.

Thanks!!!

Do they send out “app complete” emails or just the secondary received confirmation email?

Also they said they review apps from May 1 to October 1st - this is the only Texas school in applying to as OOS - so I’m just wondering about the timeline for Texas apps?

My SDN-less bf got an II (MD) this morning and wanted me to share :) he is IS LizzyM 74 secondary submitted 8/25 dates were late October-early November

Do they send out “app complete” emails or just the secondary received confirmation email?

Also they said they review apps from May 1 to October 1st - this is the only Texas school in applying to as OOS - so I’m just wondering about the timeline for Texas apps?
That is the deadline for submitting the primary app. If you have everything complete before then they may still read over your app after that deadline and invite you for an interview.

That is the deadline for submitting the primary app. If you have everything complete before then they may still read over your app after that deadline and invite you for an interview.

Ahh I see! okay thanks!

Any insight into if UTSW is receptive to in the area notification? I am an OOS PA resident flying in for two other Texas school interviews. I received the secondary and submitted in June. Figured it can’t hurt?

Any insight into if UTSW is receptive to in the area notification? I am an OOS PA resident flying in for two other Texas school interviews. I received the secondary and submitted in June. Figured it can’t hurt?
If you have already been invited for an interview, then you may use the fact that you will be in Texas to possibly get a convenient date. But if you do this as a "hint hint, I want an interview" ploy, I don't think it will go over well or even get a reply.

Man. Secondaries weren't nearly as big a deal when I applied. Good luck guys! UTSW is a great school!