2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called this morning and they said we should hear in the next two weeks. I think we will hear this week.
oooff sending good vibes out to all the Vermont interview homies

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I called this morning and they said we should hear in the next two weeks. I think we will hear this week.

Who is we and what sponsors the optimism that it would be this week vice next?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who is we and what sponsors the optimism that it would be this week vice next?
Well tomorrow is the vernal equinox aka the start of spring so all Burlington adcoms are more likely to be in a good mood and respond promptly and with more acceptances than usual. Just a guess tho

Reactions: 5 users
Just so happened to look at my email and UVM waitlisted me about 5 minutes ago. Interviewed 2/8. Hopefully they have lots of movement this year because I'd like to have my options open! Does anyone know UVM's typical waitlist movement?

Reactions: 2 users
Friend got rejected today via email. Interviewed 2/15.

I blame the vernal equinox.

I also interviewed 2/15 and nothing yet. Also the equinox’s fault.

Got waitlisted this morning, Interviewed 2/8. Reiterating segec's question above of typical waitlist movement for UVM!

Reactions: 1 user
This year is going to be different at every school. I believe at my interview day (1/18) they stated because of the traffic changes they will be waitlisting more people so hopefully that means more movement !

“High priority waitlist” legit 4/4 of my interviews... SOMEONE LET ME IN

Reactions: 4 users
placed on the "High Priority waitlist" - they say it's a new status this year

Members don't see this ad :)
High priority waitlist (interviewed: 1/18). They said it’s a new status this year but idk if it is any different from just a normal waitlist tbh. Really liked this school! Good luck to the rest of you guys!!

+432 here for HPWL. Months waiting for this...:yeahright:

Are those who have been placed on the HPWL IS? Or OOS?

upload_2019-3-22_10-34-22.jpeg
+1 HPWL

Reactions: 3 users
I got really excited when I read "We are pleased to inform you"

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when they give out the Larner scholarship? Thanks for the help!

There was a wave of Larner scholarships back in mid December. I received one about a month after my acceptance.

Also, for those placed on HPWL there is a new "decision" tab that popped up in the portal. There's an option to accept being on the waitlist, which you probably should do.

Can someone post the message about what the high priority wait list email says?

Also, for those placed on HPWL there is a new "decision" tab that popped up in the portal. There's an option to accept being on the waitlist, which you probably should do.

I believe I am on the normal waitlist, and I also see the new tab too. This was not mentioned in my waitlist email, just an FYI to others in this situation.

I believe I am on the normal waitlist, and I also see the new tab too. This was not mentioned in my waitlist email, just an FYI to others in this situation.
Sorry! Thanks for confirming that this is applicable to all waitlist applicants.

Accepted to Vermont Campus via e-mail this morning. OOS, non-trad, US Marine Corps Veteran, LM 69.5, MCAT 510, vernal equinox druid.

The HPWL email specifies there is a distinction between the HPWL and normal waitlist so I guess that's good for us HPWL people.

September: Interviewed
November: Strongly interested email
Just now: HPWL

They are really taking their sweet time.

So it goes waitlist, strong interest, then HPWL from lowest to highest rank.... guess I’m screwed as a normal waitlister... they claim they don’t “rank,” but that is a rank... just cause they call them different terms, they section off groups of applicants into these three sections just like a ranked waitlist does. Not happy with how they discretely came out with all of it

They are really hedging their bets this year...

What do you mean by this?

So it goes waitlist, strong interest, then HPWL from lowest to highest rank.... guess I’m screwed as a normal waitlister... they claim they don’t “rank,” but that is a rank... just cause they call them different terms, they section off groups of applicants into these three sections just like a ranked waitlist does. Not happy with how they discretely came out with all of it
I'm not sure about that becuase I have a feeling many people are going to withdraw off the waitlists. Personally, I have been turned off by the length of time it has taken for them to respond. I really wanted a chance at the Larnier scholarship but like not even worth it it at this point/I have no chance.

Was placed on the HPWL too, interviewed 1/9. I sent in an LOI earlier this week so that might've helped. Was waitlisted at 5/5 schools I interviewed at lol but I'm really hoping that I hear good news from UVM in the next few months

got the hpwl waitllist too
I think its garbage the way the email is worded. "We are pleased..." Cmon, really? Im so sick of these schools trying to boost their yield stats. Gives the school all the control and power. If you dont want someone, then reject them, dont write a bs email like that.
Leaves us hanging
Screw UVM, I say.

got the hpwl waitllist too
I think its garbage the way the email is worded. "We are pleased..." Cmon, really? Im so sick of these schools trying to boost their yield stats. Gives the school all the control and power. If you dont want someone, then reject them, dont write a bs email like that.
Leaves us hanging
Screw UVM, I say.
Let it out. Cathartic release ayeeee

Accepted students FB group or other social network? Slack Chanel perhaps?

Hello! I just signed up for an account but have been looking at this thread for a while.

Accepted OOS last week!!!! I am SO happy because I really clicked with UVM on my interview day (2/15). It felt like a really supportive, compassionate place full of brilliant people. I would be ecstatic to attend next year.

The one thing I want to know more about is the Fall 2019 shift to 100% flipped classroom / active learning. I would look forward to some of those sessions but am a little worried about the prospect of endless mandatory classes where we have to grapple in the dark about cases in dozens of small teams... The MCAT taught me that sometimes I need to just hole myself up in my room and crank through a lot of material. I am a social person who definitely looks forward to learning from my peers but there will be some days I would rather study quietly than talk a lot.

Anyone have any more info on mandatory aspects of UVM's CBL, or what constitutes "active" learning? Are the pre-classroom videos or readings very condensed and similar to what other schools' students watch at 2x? I wish I could get in touch with some current students to see what they think of the shift to 100%!

Overall I have more faith in the changes at UVM because they have been experimenting with their curriculum for so many years and because they have such plentiful funding around education research. The interview day was so friendly and well-run that I would be shocked if the administration made students abjectly miserable.

To everyone who is accepted: congratulations!!! and to anyone who is still waiting on decisions: I hope you are hanging in there, I bet there will be a lot of musical chairs with waitlists this year!!!

Reactions: 4 users
(update to my post above that will TOTALLY blow my cover with UVM Admissions should they ever look at the thread, haha: I asked them via email about the curriculum, and they got me in touch with an M1 who was extremely helpful in giving feedback about active learning. it was a very encouraging message, since the person outlined minor downsides while still saying that it seemed to improve retention overall. they said the pre-work still calls for that classic independent study style; there are still many chances to crank out flashcards. I have no idea about formal attendance policy for next fall but they mentioned some people not going to every session... sounds less than mandatory but probably highly suggested?

the lesson is: reach out to actual people irl and they will give you great info!! posting here to remind others that "I wish I could get in touch with students!" is an actionable wish)

It was an extremely tough decision, but I just withdrew from UVM. Hopefully that helps someone out here. It is a wonderful school and I wish you the best!

P.S. Be sure to start asking for more money in these last two weeks. At least $200K just got put back in the pot!

Reactions: 2 users