2018-2019 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I imagine the handout is outdated. They sent an update email to the earlier interview groups saying they got the funding and were going ahead with the 80 seats. They will probably fill the class by February/March due to their high catch.

Speculation: I wouldn't be surprised if they wait to waitlist/reject/accept the normal applicants (not the rock stars who heard in Oct) until they are confident they've reviewed as many applications/interviews as possible. So while everyone is on the list and being ranked we probably won't know our status until March.
Just a word of encouragement - I know five people that interviewed in February last year that are now matriculated MS1s B)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a word of encouragement - I know five people that interviewed in February last year that are now matriculated MS1s B)

History indicates that at least 40 accepted students will reject their offers to go somewhere else. So theoretically a combination of the top 40 off the waitlist and late interview (feb/march) will get an acceptance even after the class is filled.

Just got the call!! Accepted to the WSU Class of 2023!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG. Just accepted! Received a call from the dean! So happy to be joining the class of 2023! Interviewed 11/26.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone interview early October and sitting in silence? Seeing these late November interview acceptance isn’t helping my neuroticism

Anyone interview early October and sitting in silence? Seeing these late November interview acceptance isn’t helping my neuroticism

Like you I am in silence (since before Oct). And like you it's because I played way too much lol in college. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
OMG. Just accepted! Received a call from the dean! So happy to be joining the class of 2023! Interviewed 11/26.
Me too!!! My heart was pounding so hard when I saw the 509 area code (I live in western washington so it was either spam or WSU.... so glad it was WSU!!!)

Well I interviewed in August so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how many interviews are left at this school? I was complete in late August and am really hoping for an interview here.

Well I know for sure they interview several groups in Feb and Jan with possible interviews in March. Keep em fingers crossed.

:xf::xf::xf:

Just to clarify: The first two years are in Spokane and the last two years can be in Everett, Tri-Cities or Vancouver?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how much of the class is filled so far :/

They said during my interview that they would not fill the class until all the interviews were through and that those interviewing in the late winter/early spring would be interviewing for legitimate seats. Stay hopeful!

Remember that they do not conduct interviews if the class is already full. That doesn't help anyone, including the school.

Also remember that you are competing against yourself when you interview, not other people. If they interview you, they expect that you'll be accepted unless you blow the interview. See Goro's advice/info on interviews.

they expect that you'll be accepted unless you blow the interview.

I hate to be the Debby downer here, but this isn’t true. Especially for a school that is so mission centric and holistic in review. They do turn down good applicants because others are just cooler or nicer or funnier. You can have a good interview and still get a no. Which should be encouraging if you don’t get in. Getting into medical school requires a good applicant and luck.

I hate to be the Debby downer here, but this isn’t true. Especially for a school that is so mission centric and holistic in review. They do turn down good applicants because others are just cooler or nicer or funnier. You can have a good interview and still get a no. Which should be encouraging if you don’t get in. Getting into medical school requires a good applicant and luck.
Just going off of what AdCom members have said. :happy:

Goro’s guide to interviews (2018 edition)

Last edited:
I agree with this. LizzyM has a staircase analogy. Applicants are arrayed on the staircase with their relative strengths/weaknesses. After the interview they move up or down as a result of that performance. You can be rejected post interview - not from bombing it but perhaps not shining as much as someone else, not having an interviewer that you "connect" with or just bad luck. And even with holistic review, some very good candidates will be waitlisted and not get in.

I think particularly w/EFSCOM they want people who align with their mission. Which, I think is honestly a good thing. If their mission doesn't jive w/yours, there's probably a better school for you. As much as it is 'get in anywhere'... we all want to be prepared for a career in the field/geographic area/resource level that is the best fit for us.

I think particularly w/EFSCOM they want people who align with their mission. Which, I think is honestly a good thing. If their mission doesn't jive w/yours, there's probably a better school for you. As much as it is 'get in anywhere'... we all want to be prepared for a career in the field/geographic area/resource level that is the best fit for us.

I agree. The mission actually means something at this school. It's a breath of fresh air considering most schools just BS their mission statements. And then ask you why you're applying.
But like you said most students get into one school. And most of the students who get into WSU and another school are probably going to pick the other school. So really there is no picking the right fit for applicants of WSU. Everyone is trying to sound like they fit the mission or they just do already.

Any interview invites this week? Starting to get nervous, completed in July and haven't heard anything from ESFCOM... Chances a II may still be coming?

Hoping they send out another II batch soon!

how late do they interview?

At my interview session they said they are interviewing into Feb, but also have two dates in March reserved in case they feel the need to interview more candidates.

March reserved in case they feel the need to interview more candidates.
Lol so in short it’s a bad sign for the rest of us if they have to interview in March.
upload_2019-1-4_8-58-30.png

Just a heads up that another round of acceptances should happen around the end of January. So good luck if you've already interviewed, and if you're waiting for an interview invite, hang in there!

Interviewed 1/14. Dean shared he was giving out acceptance calls that afternoon (in case any one who interviewed before Jan are waiting for a call...)

Interviewed 1/14. Dean shared he was giving out acceptance calls that afternoon (in case any one who interviewed before Jan are waiting for a call...)
Meaning he was calling yesterday afternoon or today?

Sweet! Maybe some of those folks will post so we can see when they interviewed.

Approaching the home stretch ...
Actually I was one of them! Interviewed in August and haven’t heard anything since so I just definitely surprised by the call

Congratulations! :smuggrin:

What patience you have. Hahahaha. Super long time to wait. Worth it in the end!

Any more acceptances today? Also patiently (or really not so patiently) waiting since my interview in August.

Any interview invites within the last 2 weeks or month??

Just got an II. I will not be accepting the interview since I've been accepted elsewhere . Hope it goes to one of you!

shocked to receive an II yesterday! Interviewing in March so at least I won't die waiting to know what happens for months on end.

Accepted to the ESFCOM c/o 2022, but decided to go to UW. I absolutely fell in love with this school when I applied and would've chosen ESFCOM if it weren't for UW's reputable name. I'd be glad to help with any questions or advice needed here, just @ me! Good luck applying everyone!
Hi there! I would love the opportunity to chat with you regarding UWSOM vs WSU Elson S. Floyd SOM. I have interviewed at both schools and am still waiting for a decision, but I can't help having all of the pro's and con's of each school swimming in my mind. I feel that I had a strong interview at each school, and have been thinking hard about which school I would pick. Any advice?

Hi there! I would love the opportunity to chat with you regarding UWSOM vs WSU Elson S. Floyd SOM. I have interviewed at both schools and am still waiting for a decision, but I can't help having all of the pro's and con's of each school swimming in my mind. I feel that I had a strong interview at each school, and have been thinking hard about which school I would pick. Any advice?

Hey, I'm really glad I made the decision to stay with UWSOM. But I really think it can depend on your situation.
Here are some reasons why I wanted to go to WSU
really like the small class=more attention/support, new school could have exciting new beginnings, esp. how Dr. T sold the school on second look (he's so cool), not close to family (pros&cons), didn't seem like there were protest bs happening, I liked the LIC idea and actually was thinking about practicing in my future site, thought spokane would be a quiet & nice place to settle a bit to focus on studying, etc.

Here are some reasons why I stayed with UWSOM
#1 reason: UWSOM students are known for their clinical experiences to residencies (which I heard balances out with our ****ty step 1 scores), lots of ppl around me saying picking WSU is a dumb dumb decision bc of UW's name(don't let this get to you, seriously weigh your options and situation), was kind of into the WWAMI thing (but I don't think I'm into practicing in the WAMI states), close to family(pros&cons), I'm POC so spokane might've not been the best option for me compared to seattle, etc.

Definitely go to both second looks to see how you fit in with your potential classmates too.

You can always go back to last year's thread to read how some of my classmates helped me decide.

I'm also going to @mavric1298 bc they were superb in helping me too. But they might be busy with step.
Feel free to @ me or PM for more :)

Best of luck in everyone's rest of cycle

Lol This belongs in a PM

submitted secondary in august 2018. haven't received an II. should i be losing hope? :(

submitted secondary in august 2018. haven't received an II. should i be losing hope? :(
Yep, me too. Was waitlisted last year and felt that I added a lot to my application, yet haven't heard since July. Still have a glimmer of hope, but I don't think it's looking too great unfortunately. But you're not alone!