2018-2019 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I'm really glad I made the decision to stay with UWSOM. But I really think it can depend on your situation.
Here are some reasons why I wanted to go to WSU
really like the small class=more attention/support, new school could have exciting new beginnings, esp. how Dr. T sold the school on second look (he's so cool), not close to family (pros&cons), didn't seem like there were protest bs happening, I liked the LIC idea and actually was thinking about practicing in my future site, thought spokane would be a quiet & nice place to settle a bit to focus on studying, etc.

Here are some reasons why I stayed with UWSOM
#1 reason: UWSOM students are known for their clinical experiences to residencies (which I heard balances out with our ****ty step 1 scores), lots of ppl around me saying picking WSU is a dumb dumb decision bc of UW's name(don't let this get to you, seriously weigh your options and situation), was kind of into the WWAMI thing (but I don't think I'm into practicing in the WAMI states), close to family(pros&cons), I'm POC so spokane might've not been the best option for me compared to seattle, etc.

Definitely go to both second looks to see how you fit in with your potential classmates too.

You can always go back to last year's thread to read how some of my classmates helped me decide.

I'm also going to @mavric1298 bc they were superb in helping me too. But they might be busy with step.
Feel free to @ me or PM for more :)

Best of luck in everyone's rest of cycle

Thank you so much for your VERY detailed response!! I appreciate the list of pro's and con's you provided. They will definitely be helpful in guiding my decision-making process. (Of note, although I could have "PM-d" this, I think this was also a helpful question for anyone else in the same boat, I am sure they will appreciate your response as well!)

I wish everyone good luck!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
submitted secondary in august 2018. haven't received an II. should i be losing hope? :(

Saaame. I finally made the decision to take the funds I set aside for a potential interview and use them to pay bills

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get the email that says fafsa info doesn't match with application? I'm not even admitted yet so no idea what to do in regards to that email.

Anyone get the email that says fafsa info doesn't match with application? I'm not even admitted yet so no idea what to do in regards to that email.
I received the same email. I am assuming it'll get mapped if you are accepted. Apparently they don't need your FAFSA in January like UW. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Email just now:

"Hello,

If you have submitted a FAFSA and received an email back from WSU Financial Aid indicating your information does not match your application, it is because we do not send your AMCAS application information to other WSU offices until you have been accepted. This is to help prevent WSU offices like Financial Aid from having to work on award packages for applicants not yet accepted (they work with all WSU programs, so they have thousands of students to work with).

It is definitely a good thing to submit your FAFSA application! Please just disregard emails like the one mentioned above if you have not been accepted. After accepted, all of your information will be provided to them and if you have any issues at that time, we can work through those.

Thank you,
Dr. Harrison
Associate Dean for Admissions, Recruitment and Inclusion"

It's crazy--3 degrees by age 23, solid GPA/MCAT, from a rural area and worked directly with patients for 18 months there as a phlebotomist, developed relationships/shadowing/letters with the physicians and staff there, significant research, volunteering, teaching/leadership experiences, involved in extracurricular clubs while in college; working tirelessly every day and weekend for 4 years in college to keep up with it all, sacrificing so much in the process. Passionate about rural/underserved medicine and significant experience to show it (unlike most applicants who I would assume don't actually fit their mission of recruiting people from rural/underserved areas, who have significant clinical experience in those areas, to go back and serve in those areas to address the shortages).

It's crazy how I could work so hard for so many years to get such a result... not even waitlisted. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not meant to be a doctor after all? Better luck next time I guess? Am I really that bad at interviews? Are the interviews/interviewers really that accurate in finding the very best among the applicants, and picking out the unique gifts they have to offer? Who knows, but I know one thing for sure, this doesn't define my worth, and I do not feel sad or rejected. I know in some way this is life happening for me, not to me. If anything, I'm even more determined to succeed in my life from the sacrifices I've made and the hard work and life hours I have invested into this... to keep moving forward, onward and upward! Oh and my UW interview is coming up next, maybe I'll get in there instead?? Time will tell, but I would think getting into UW would be more difficult than WSU.

GL to you all, hope you get accepted to Wazzu!
Very interesting. If this is where your passion resides, YES YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A PHYSICIAN. Keep your chin up. Things happen for a reason we often don't comprehend until later. You have put in the work and the grit. Ask for feedback and see what WSU says.

Good luck at your UW interview. I really enjoyed mine. :)

It's crazy--3 degrees by age 23, solid GPA/MCAT, from a rural area and worked directly with patients for 18 months there as a phlebotomist, developed relationships/shadowing/letters with the physicians and staff there, significant research, volunteering, teaching/leadership experiences, involved in extracurricular clubs while in college; working tirelessly every day and weekend for 4 years in college to keep up with it all, sacrificing so much in the process. Passionate about rural/underserved medicine and significant experience to show it (unlike most applicants who I would assume don't actually fit their mission of recruiting people from rural/underserved areas, who have significant clinical experience in those areas, to go back and serve in those areas to address the shortages).

It's crazy how I could work so hard for so many years to get such a result... not even waitlisted. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not meant to be a doctor after all? Better luck next time I guess? Am I really that bad at interviews? Are the interviews/interviewers really that accurate in finding the very best among the applicants, and picking out the unique gifts they have to offer? Who knows, but I know one thing for sure, this doesn't define my worth, and I do not feel sad or rejected. I know in some way this is life happening for me, not to me. If anything, I'm even more determined to succeed in my life from the sacrifices I've made and the hard work and life hours I have invested into this... to keep moving forward, onward and upward! Oh and my UW interview is coming up next, maybe I'll get in there instead?? Time will tell, but I would think getting into UW would be more difficult than WSU.

Honestly, the whole med school admissions process is just frustrating.... especially since everyone is superman/woman and if you get to the point of getting an interview, you are already pretty solid. That is something to celebrate. Some people don't get interviews.

There are so many reapplicants in my class (and I remember at my WSU interview). It hurts so bad to be rejected, but you just have to tough it up.
"It's not how many times you get knocked down that count, it's how many times you get back up."

Also, reach out to WSU to get feedback.

Sending good vibes to your UW interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Man I interviewed way back in August and havent heard a thing. Starting to get discouraged....

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I interviewed way back in August and havent heard a thing. Starting to get discouraged....
I have heard from multiple current students that the majority of acceptances aren't made until March when all of the interviews are over, regardless of when you actually interviewed.

I also interviewed in August and this is the only thing keeping me sane ;) Hope that helps!

I have heard from multiple current students that the majority of acceptances aren't made until March when all of the interviews are over, regardless of when you actually interviewed.

I also interviewed in August and this is the only thing keeping me sane ;) Hope that helps!

I’ve heard they already handed out 3 acceptance call days so I’m pessimistic.

Email just now:

"Hello all,

I know this time of year can be anxiety-provoking and frustrating if you have been waiting for a decision following an interview. Some of you have been waiting since you interviewed with us in August. I wanted to provide you a few updates to this point so you have some insight into our process. We are interviewing through March 1st (that will be our final interview day). I mentioned on your interview day that I want everyone who interviews with us, regardless of the date, to have the opportunity to be considered for a regular-season offer (i.e., offers before waitlist is formed). That means we make rounds of offers (this cycle starting in October) to fill the class seats through March. At the point that every interviewed applicant has been assessed through the Admissions Committee, we will make the final offers to fill the class and form the waitlist. Every medical school makes offers off the waitlist; April 30th is a key date for this as those currently holding seats in multiple medical schools have to narrow those down to one.

Good news: if you are receiving this email it means you are still in consideration for our program. We have already sent out denial notifications for those who interviewed but are not being considered further. We plan to make two more regular season rounds of offers by mid-March (that means our class is not currently full); this plan can be altered to include another round, but that decision will be made at a later time. I plan to form the waitlist in mid-March and send out those notifications at that time.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to my office if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Harrison"

Who else's heart skipped a beat?!

Who else's heart skipped a beat?!.
I honestly don't even flinch anymore when I get an email from a med school. I've just given up hope that it'll be any sort of good news at this point lol

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly don't even flinch anymore when I get an email from a med school. I've just given up hope that it'll be any sort of good news at this point lol.

Same. Was expecting a rejection. Well cheers to waiting another 1.5 months to hear if we're rejected or not.

You come across as entitled and unstable—I hope for you own sake, you’re better than this. I am sure adcoms see this. They most likely made the correct choice keeping you out of med school. I wouldn’t want you as a doctor or a coworker.

This post made me embarrassed for you.
Let's not be too hard on anyone for a single post. We've all had moments of self-doubt, self-pity, and frustration with this insanely stressful process. I'd be shocked if anyone HASN'T had at least a thought similar to this at some point during the application cycle. Sometimes when you're feeling really down about something it helps you move on if you vent and throw yourself a short little pity party. There are definitely worse traits to have than being down on yourself and needing to vent when you get bad news.

Reactions: 6 users
They most likely made the correct choice keeping you out of med school

I'll PM you when I get in, thank you!

P.S.
Doctors and other staff (and patients and the community in general) from where I worked rurally have openly and consistently expressed their interest in having me come back to work there!
*gets dunked on*

P. P. S.
Forgot about this--but I'm 1/2 way through med school now and this person deleted their account... so I can't PM them lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's crazy--3 degrees by age 23, solid GPA/MCAT, 4.0 post-bacc, from a rural area and worked directly with patients for 18 months there as a phlebotomist, developed relationships/shadowing/letters with the physicians and staff there, significant research, volunteering, teaching/leadership experiences, involved in extracurricular clubs while in college; working tirelessly every day and weekend for 4 years in college to keep up with it all, sacrificing so much in the process. Passionate about rural/underserved medicine and significant experience to show it (unlike most applicants who I would assume don't actually fit their mission of recruiting people from rural/underserved areas, who have significant clinical experience in those areas, to go back and serve in those areas to address the shortages).

Three possibilities:
Bad essays
Bad interview skills
Bad LOR

Late apps can also sabotage normally competitive candidates.

IF you get shut out, at the end of the cycle, contact Admissions deans to see if they can give you some feedback.

Reactions: 3 users
They have about 3 interview days left. If I remember correctly, there's about 18 applicants per interview day.

They have about 3 interview days left. If I remember correctly, there's about 18 applicants per interview day.

My interview day had 20 - they split us into two groups of 10 for the MMI’s. I’m sure it varies though if someone cancels last minute.

I have already asked once to keep this thread professional. Discussing the events in the news is perfectly fine. I will not close this thread because it’s the school specific thread, but inflammatory posts will result in a thread ban and the posts deleted. This has happened once already.

Correct. I know another applicant who was admitted today as well (that person just interviewed a couple of weeks ago).

Any pre-II rejections?

When I spoke to someone in admissions earlier this cycle, they said that they don't do any pre-II rejections during the interviewing cycle (only after interviews are finished).

Has anyone sent any kind of pre II update? I'm a little hesitant to bother admissions, but I was waitlisted last year and was really hoping to hear something after improving my application this year.

Has anyone sent any kind of pre II update? I'm a little hesitant to bother admissions, but I was waitlisted last year and was really hoping to hear something after improving my application this year.

I was told they don't accept updates unless you're wait listed

I emailed admissions and was told that all the interview seats have been filled but they will continue to send out invites as those scheduled for an upcoming interview potentially withdraw.

A few of us can still get lucky :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed admissions and was told that all the interview seats have been filled but they will continue to send out invites as those scheduled for an upcoming interview potentially withdraw.

A few of us can still get lucky :shrug:
Thanks for this info. It's not over until we have rejections in our inboxes....Crossing fingers for both of us!

Reactions: 2 users
Have any accepted students received an email yet about paying the deposit?

No, I have not received an email. I thought deposits were due in April? But I could be crazy.

I could have sworn I heard they were going to collect deposits in February, but no worries if it's later. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something!

I could have sworn I heard they were going to collect deposits in February, but no worries if it's later. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something!
Did you receive the recent email from Dr. Harrison regarding the coming email about the deposit? Also - are you on the Slack chat?