2018-2019 Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone declining the waitlist?

I was offered a spot on the waitlist but will be declining due to an offer at another school that I can’t pass up. Hopefully this helps someone out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Im also on the waitlist. Really loved my interview and would be thrilled for the opportunity to go to this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people addressing their update letter to Dr. Harrison?

Reactions: 1 user
How big is the class? I heard it was supposed to be 80 but there are funding issues? So is it 60 or 80?

The Democrats are releasing their budget in Olympia this week, and so far it does not include funding for 80 students. From comments school representatives made to the Spokesman Review, it seems only 60 offers have been made thus far. It will only cost a few million more to add the extra 20, so there's a chance that it could change. However, constituents will have to change the minds of enough Democrat lawmakers, who hold the power. Lawmakers in Eastern Washington overwhelming support funding, but they're also overwhelming Republicans. The budget should be passed by April 30, given the surplus, but there could be trouble if they go into special session this summer.

If you've accepted a position on the ESFCOM wait list, the best thing you can do to improve your chances this year is to write to each and every one of your lawmakers, particularly if they're Democrats. Say you're a constituent, you're on the wait list at WSU, and explain why you think they need to increase funding to this program. I know it seems like a long shot, but I've been around the advocacy game long enough to know that a few letters really can change the mind of a lawmaker. Senator and representative email addresses are easy to find online, and the letters should be pithy, so they shouldn't take much of your time. Once you send your letters, convince others to share their concerns with lawmakers about the doctor shortage in WA state.

Here's the most recent piece on the topic, by former King County Executive Ron Sims.

From the original Spokesman article I read about the extra 20 seats, they could still add funding after the budget is approved in April so we just need to keep our fingers crossed (and consider writing our reps like bluerock suggested).

“The Senate budget does not contain money for an additional 20 students enrolling in the first year of that program this year and next. An amendment to a House bill, however, would add $3.6 million to the medical school budget to cover that expansion.“
Senate Democrats release budget

Do you think that we will get some sort of official email from WSU explaining the situation? Now we don't know if only 60 were filled, or 80 like the email said a few months ago. I just wish there was a little more communication about the issue, especially since they specifically wrote us this winter about filling all 80 seats now.

Do you think that we will get some sort of official email from WSU explaining the situation? Now we don't know if only 60 were filled, or 80 like the email said a few months ago. I just wish there was a little more communication about the issue, especially since they specifically wrote us this winter about filling all 80 seats now.

I was just wondering this myself. Would be nice

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the optimism in the recent ESFCOM communication to waitlisted students in regards to the class size being 80. The proposed Senate budget that was released March 29 didn't include funding for the larger class size either. Hopefully they have a trick up their sleeve that we don't know about. Definitely focus on ways to improve your application in the next couple months. If you made it on the waitlist, you definitely have something to offer.

This email confirms your spot on the waitlist! Thank you for your diligence in getting back to us about your continued interest in our program. As I mentioned in my most recent email, we DO have seats open in the class, so we WILL be making offers off the waitlist within the next few weeks. Additionally, as you know, April 30th is a key date nationally for accepted applicants who are holding multiple offers to narrow those down to one. That will create movement for all MD programs; therefore, I anticipate additional offers after that time. After that point, offers from the waitlist are sporadic and unpredictable but can occur all the way through orientation in August. Nothing has changed from what I have communicated to you during interview day about our class size. Should anything change, I will be sure to reach out.

Guess there's some hope?

Reactions: 4 users
I don't know when 2nd look is, but if it already happened, did any SDN folks go?

Withdrew my acceptance. Here comes a spot or two ... hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users
Any new updates on acceptances? Does anyone know if they got funding for the additional 20 seats?

Any new updates on acceptances? Does anyone know if they got funding for the additional 20 seats?

They've already assigned more than 60 people to their learning communities, so I would think they will have 80 seats this year regardless of legislative funding approval or not.

They've already assigned more than 60 people to their learning communities, so I would think they will have 80 seats this year regardless of legislative funding approval or not.
I don't quite understand. What is the learning communities? Do you mean the incoming class? And what are you basing your second thought that they will have 80 seats? Are you suggesting they still have 20 seats to offer?

I don't quite understand. What is the learning communities? Do you mean the incoming class? And what are you basing your second thought that they will have 80 seats? Are you suggesting they still have 20 seats to offer?
DMPP123 was accepted here and went to 2nd look. They're saying that more than 60 people have recently already been assigned to the 4 WSU campuses across WA. So, it's highly likely that the incoming class will have 80 students.

"House, Senate approve school levy lid bill and $52.4 billion budget before session ends." - The Olympian

"That fund also has about $21 million for the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine at Washington State University Spokane, to cover the costs of the third and fourth years of study for current students, and add 20 more students to the first-year classes this summer and in 2020." - Spokesman

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gotten an offer off the wait list?
I'm getting super anxious now that the budget has passed and April 30 is almost here. I'm wondering if they're asking a student here or there, or whether they're being cautious with everything and waiting until they get the final word on spots.

"We're in the Endgame now."
Jk ;)
But seriously, some people get off the waitlist throughout the summer. Hope we all hear some good news soon :)
Luckily our odds aren't 1:14,000,605

• Haha
"We're in the Endgame now."
Jk ;)
But seriously, some people get off the waitlist throughout the summer. Hope we all hear some good news soon :)
Luckily our odds aren't 1:14,000,605

I'll do whatever it takes to get a spot off the waitlist lol

• Haha
I withdrew my spot from the waitlist, so I hope that helps one of you out! Best of luck to everyone!!

Accepted today! They called and recorded my response, just a heads up!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Wishing all of you who remain on the waitlist the best of luck!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone hear anything? Are we expecting more movement?

I had called admissions-they said they had made remaining offers last week. Hoping for the best for all of us! :xf:

I guess that means our chances are bleak now. Time for a reapp I guess.

Withdrew from waitlist.

I'm hoping for the best for everyone still in the running here!

Just withdrew from the waitlist as well, good luck everyone!

Anything? This wait really sucks.
I’m sorry to say this, but I think the indication is that the wait is pretty much over. Another 1-2 might still get lucky, but it’s pretty unlikely. Hopefully there’s a next year for you!

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations! Did you get the call in the afternoon?

Thank you! I received a call in the morning- it was actually an Illinois area code so I was very confused. They left a voicemail asking to call back to a 509 number to schedule a time to speak with the dean. I left a voicemail and then dean called me later! I was super thrown off/thought I was being punk'd until I received the official email from Dr. Harrison

Thank you! I received a call in the morning- it was actually an Illinois area code so I was very confused. They left a voicemail asking to call back to a 509 number to schedule a time to speak with the dean. I left a voicemail and then dean called me later! I was super thrown off/thought I was being punk'd until I received the official email from Dr. Harrison
Hi, just wondering if you had any general advice for people thinking about applying to ESFCOM. Or thoughts about what were the strengths/highlights of your application. Thanks!