2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ughh you guys are killing me!!! Would any of you choose Drexel over Wayne by any chance? (Let’s leave tuition out because it’s similar in both place)

I personally wouldn't because I love the area, want to stay in Michigan, and I have many support systems surrounding the area. I think they both offer opportunities to serve the underserved. If you want to match in Michigan/ midwest Wayne is a great choice. I'm not super familiar with Drexel's match list but I would assume there are many matches on the east coast. I think you would do well at whichever one you choose.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they plan on rescinding acceptances to anyone who didn't CTE yesterday?
I don’t think that deadline was even real. They didn’t enforce it, there was no email warning, there was nothing. So I highly doubt they upheld the deadline probably because of fin aid situation.

Ughh you guys are killing me!!! Would any of you choose Drexel over Wayne by any chance? (Let’s leave tuition out because it’s similar in both place)

i interviewed at both and i think i would for sure pick wayne over drexel. 1. location (wayne you're in the city, drexel you're basically in the suburbs) and 2. theres no cell service at drexel LOL. but other than that, i think they are very similar schools in terms of mission.

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• 06EB03B9-4C85-498B-B1A6-950B75FE637E.jpeg
    06EB03B9-4C85-498B-B1A6-950B75FE637E.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 281
Even though this may ultimately be useless to me, I'm glad to see reinforcement of the CTE since there's the impression schools arent given the power to do so. Maybe this will give Wayne a better idea of how many spots are left

yeah... imo organizational problems within administration are a very very small price to pay for the insane experience Wayne provides for med students... every doctor i personally know within the Detroit area have all told me and my family to pick Wayne over anywhere else in Michigan. residencies apparently love Wayne med students because of how much they end up seeing and experiencing in Detroit. Future applicants: don't let administration scare you!! Like I said, it's a very small price to pay for the world-class education you'd receive at this school :D
I completely agree that Wayne Grads do well in residency matching and beyond, but I think very little credit should actually go to the school itself. It’s more about being in an urban area and seeing medicine during rotations that so many others would never see. And having so many hospital systems in one area. And students becoming so self reliant from incompetence that it bodes well for the real world. Detroit even had a VRSA outbreak a few years back which is unheard of normally speaking. So students are a product of the environment, not the school. It’s really not asking much to make a more streamlined interview and application process and make administration become a little more accountable. Although it seems like a small price to pay, you’re actually paying them close to $300,000 in most cases.

I completely agree that Wayne Grads do well in residency matching and beyond, but I think very little credit should actually go to the school itself. It’s more about being in an urban area and seeing medicine during rotations that so many others would never see. And having so many hospital systems in one area. And students becoming so self reliant from incompetence that it bodes well for the real world. Detroit even had a VRSA outbreak a few years back which is unheard of normally speaking. So students are a product of the environment, not the school. It’s really not asking much to make a more streamlined interview and application process and make administration become a little more accountable. Although it seems like a small price to pay, you’re actually paying them close to $300,000 in most cases.

fosho, i agree with you.

wayne is a fabulous school bc of where its located and its resources. i guess the issues they do have don't bother me as much due to these reasons. but for sure the administrative problems need to be addressed, its ridiculous at this point. i just don't think that alone should sway someones decision of coming here

Members don't see this ad :)
My financial aid package is up. It must’ve just gone up because I checked this morning and it wasn’t

My financial aid package is up. It must’ve just gone up because I checked this morning and it wasn’t

I guess since they now actually have a CTE deadline, they figured it probably would be a decent idea to have the financial aid packages ready lol

Ok, I'm really getting into a neurotically anxious phase and want to just send in a blurb (a few sentences) reiterating that I am ready to drop everything and go here. Just to be sure, should I address the blurb as "Dear Dr. Kevin Sprague" (the associate dean of admissions) or "Dear Admissions Committee" (although I've seen online to NOT address it like this)?

Ok, I'm really getting into a neurotically anxious phase and want to just send in a blurb (a few sentences) reiterating that I am ready to drop everything and go here. Just to be sure, should I address the blurb as "Dear Dr. Kevin Sprague" (the associate dean of admissions) or "Dear Admissions Committee" (although I've seen online to NOT address it like this)?

Unless you know the associate dean, it seems odd to address the letter to him specifically without being advised to do so.

Unless you know the associate dean, it seems odd to address the letter to him specifically without being advised to do so.

Funny enough, I found some templates online where they said to address it to whoever is in charge of the admissions committee. Should I address it as "Dear Admissions Committee" then?

Funny enough, I found some templates online where they said to address it to whoever is in charge of the admissions committee. Should I address it as "Dear Admissions Committee" then?
I wouldn’t even waste your time as it’s highly unlikely to reach the admisssions committee in less than two weeks and affect their decision by now. Also Kevin Sprague is supposed to be a non-voting member and isn’t technically apart of the admissions committee. The adcom will start accepting people by phone shortly so the best that we can hope for is that they start accepting nearby applicants. Giving an OOS applicant two weeks notice would be pretty ridiculous for a public school.

I wouldn’t even waste your time as it’s highly unlikely to reach the admisssions committee in less than two weeks and affect their decision by now. Also Kevin Sprague is supposed to be a non-voting member and isn’t technically apart of the admissions committee. The adcom will start accepting people by phone shortly so the best that we can hope for is that they start accepting nearby applicants. Giving an OOS applicant two weeks notice would be pretty ridiculous for a public school.

Well, f**k, I addressed my LOI to him following online advice. Guess I should just kick back and accept the end of the road.

And as an OOS (CA specifically), I agree it would be ridiculous but I wouldnt be totally honest if I said I'm not wiling to live in an air bnb/extended stay or even my car for the first two weeks of school before starting a lease in August :confused:o_O:wacky:

Well, f**k, I addressed my LOI to him following online advice. Guess I should just kick back and accept the end of the road.

And as an OOS (CA specifically), I agree it would be ridiculous but I wouldnt be totally honest if I said I'm not wiling to live in an air bnb/extended stay or even my car for the first two weeks of school before starting a lease in August :confused:o_O:wacky:

I don’t see anything wrong with adressing it directly to him. IMO worst case scenerio is that it’s not him that reads it but an underling. I re-sent my LOI with an updated paragraph to talk about all the scribe work I’ve been doing lately and 2 weeks later I was accepted. Keep trying, putting your name out there is better than sitting on your ass like some people just do. Again, worst case scenerio is that it does nothing.

I don’t see anything wrong with adressing it directly to him. IMO worst case scenerio is that it’s not him that reads it but an underling. I re-sent my LOI with an updated paragraph to talk about all the scribe work I’ve been doing lately and 2 weeks later I was accepted. Keep trying, putting your name out there is better than sitting on your ass like some people just do. Again, worst case scenerio is that it does nothing.

True, I guess I don't have much to lose since it's getting close to the end. I'll probably just send in a paragraph blurb reiterating that I'm ready to go now if necessary. Who did you address your LOIs to?

True, I guess I don't have much to lose since it's getting close to the end. I'll probably just send in a paragraph blurb reiterating that I'm ready to go now if necessary. Who did you address your LOIs to?
“Dear Admissions Committee” or something of the like

So you guys think they’re gonna be calling for any remaining spots, if there are even some available?

Screw it, just uploaded my last plea to get in. Don't have much hope so just going to try to use these next two weeks to brace myself for the crash after July 15th.

Is it for sure just going to be calls from now on?

Screw it, just uploaded my last plea to get in. Don't have much hope so just going to try to use these next two weeks to brace myself for the crash after July 15th.

Is it for sure just going to be calls from now on?
Can’t say for sure but I remember from a previous cycle that they start calling in the 3 week range. They need to know ASAP if you plan on accepting and you get I think 2 days to decide before they move on to the next person. How this will all work out with financial aid and ordering things, I have no clue. What you can do though is make sure all your immunizations are completed and documented. Those take a while and some require two TB tests.

Can’t say for sure but I remember from a previous cycle that they start calling in the 3 week range. They need to know ASAP if you plan on accepting and you get I think 2 days to decide before they move on to the next person. How this will all work out with financial aid and ordering things, I have no clue. What you can do though is make sure all your immunizations are completed and documented. Those take a while and some require two TB tests.

Yea, I've started FAFSA and will take a look at immunizations.

@MedicineN'Jazz do u remember if u got a call or email?

Phone or email? Some years ago a friend of mine got the call literally second day of class. She failed the first exam, but is rocking downtown Detroit now as a pediatric neurologist
I mentioned this sometime last year about being accepted late. Then someone called admissions and they claimed never in the history of Wayne State has anyone been accepted after orientation started. So naturally everyone said I was spreading false info and went nuts on the thread. What a school man, what a school.

• Haha
I mentioned this sometime last year about being accepted late. Then someone called admissions and they claimed never in the history of Wayne State has anyone been accepted after orientation started. So naturally everyone said I was spreading false info and went nuts on the thread. What a school man, what a school.
That's cause you're from HR.

Man yall have no idea how much I'm banking on ppl having told us on this forum that they got in two weeks or sooner before school started.

I wonder if they're only going to be giving acceptances on Fridays?

So to keep things in perspective for current waitlisters, when does orientation start? Is it July 9th?

Edit: The website says last year's was July 25th.. shall we assume it's the same this year?

Man yall have no idea how much I'm banking on ppl having told us on this forum that they got in two weeks or sooner before school started.

I wonder if they're only going to be giving acceptances on Fridays?
I'm in the same boat. This process is like burning coal. Making gold out of us before we become doctors!

So to keep things in perspective for current waitlisters, when does orientation start? Is it July 9th?

Edit: The website says last year's was July 25th.. shall we assume it's the same this year?
Classes begin July 15th.

I believe it’s July 15th. There’s plenty of people who have been accepted in the last two weeks. They’ll probably switch to phone calls soon.

It was by email!
These last two weeks crazy movement happens. I think most of us on the waitlist have done our part and been patient. I sent a letter of intent, just gotta wait out and see. I'm hoping being a Detroit native and having strong ties to the community helps with the process.

Does anyone have good laptop recommendations for med school? I have had the same laptop for 4 years and need to upgrade.

Hi guys, waitlistee here. Do we have any estimates on how many more people they are going to accept from the waitlist at this point? Or if there have been any acceptances since the CTE deadline?

Hi guys, waitlistee here. Do we have any estimates on how many more people they are going to accept from the waitlist at this point? Or if there have been any acceptances since the CTE deadline?
no idea. it all depends on those who ain't commit and also waitlist movements at other schools. Things still feel way up in the air. last friday some acceptance went out and some rejected those acceptances.

Does anyone have good laptop recommendations for med school? I have had the same laptop for 4 years and need to upgrade.

I purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop last year and love it. It's basically a Mac with Windows OS. Definitely not a gaming laptop, though.