2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any chance someone with instate and LizzyM 68.80 would get in this late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Any chance someone with instate and LizzyM 68.80 would get in this late in the cycle?

At this point it's all up in the air and anyone speculating anything has no basis. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did you guys already receive your financial aid award packages? I haven't received mine and have e-mailed the financial aid office--to no reply. I have completed fafsa and all the requirements. Thank you!
They said they will be posted June 20th

Hey, did you guys already receive your financial aid award packages? I haven't received mine and have e-mailed the financial aid office--to no reply. I have completed fafsa and all the requirements. Thank you!
Their self imposed deadline is June 20th (officially). Keep in mind that they have pushed it back 3 times now. I wouldn't expect a reply via email and don't expect accurate information over the phone. Just wait for official communication.

Does anyone know if decisions are sent manually or computer generated based on a ranked list? I sent an LOI a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if it will be even looked at...

Does anyone know if decisions are sent manually or computer generated based on a ranked list? I sent an LOI a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure if it will be even looked at...

when I called several weeks ago I was told the waitlist is unranked.

when I called several weeks ago I was told the waitlist is unranked.

I wonder if this means they're just going to go through every waitlist applicant and be all "yes, no, yes, yes, no, no," etc. I feel like this would be extremely inefficient given they have about a month until classes start. Granted, maybe that means more people have a chance?

so based on what do they accept students? I had my interview in January 28th and I still haven't heard anything yet.

I had mine December 10th and was waitlisted the week after. I would definitely like to know as well.

Th
I wonder if this means they're just going to go through every waitlist applicant and be all "yes, no, yes, yes, no, no," etc. I feel like this would be extremely inefficient given they have about a month until classes start. Granted, maybe that means more people have a chance?

I had mine December 10th and was waitlisted the week after. I would definitely like to know as well.
They will never tell you even if it is ranked I’ve tried. Then they go back and forth between its ranked and it isn’t. Just don’t let it get to you it’s a terrible system.

Reactions: 1 users
So do you guys think Wayne is just about done with WL movement? Their CTE date has passed already if I’m not mistaken

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still sending financial aid today??? I feel like that’s what’s really holding up spots. People are waiting to compare cost and scholarships.

Reactions: 5 users
Are they still sending financial aid today??? I feel like that’s what’s really holding up spots. People are waiting to compare cost and scholarships.

That’s what’s holding up my spot. I’m sitting on two acceptances but without financial aid info I can’t make the decision. It honestly seems really unprofessional for Wayne to do this. It’s unfair to me, but also the person who may receive my spot if I decide to decline due to financial info.

i am about to sign for an apartment and this financial aid being late rrlllllllyyyyy isn't helping me. what the heck wayne :'(

That’s what’s holding up my spot. I’m sitting on two acceptances but without financial aid info I can’t make the decision. It honestly seems really unprofessional for Wayne to do this. It’s unfair to me, but also the person who may receive my spot if I decide to decline due to financial info.
Yup, I'm in the same boat. It's not really fair for them to impose deadlines on us and expect us to make informed decisions when they constantly give inaccurate information and miss their own deadlines. The AMCAS choose your medical school tool should have guidelines for professionalism that schools should follow, not just students. It's been terribly implemented. The choose your medical school deadlines basically created double standards, which has put students in unreasonable situations...like having to choose between schools without financial aid info. I don't buy the argument that 'you're lucky to even get in. just be grateful.' That's a bull**** way of making it ok to treat people unprofessionally.

Reactions: 7 users
i am about to sign for an apartment and this financial aid being late rrlllllllyyyyy isn't helping me. what the heck wayne :'(
Congrats on all the acceptances everyone. Just a heads up, this will be the norm for the next four years at Wayne. The administration is easily the worst part about the school. I’m waitlisted here but received my MSU CHM financial aid in May and school doesn’t start until August 26th. The stress they’re causing students is unfair and can’t be within AAMC guidelines.

Reactions: 2 users
Watch them send out financial aid info after the June 24 commit to enroll deadline :laugh:

I just got my acceptance email!!! Will be accepting the offer as it has been my only one so far. Good luck to everyone else, if I someone as unimpressive as I can get off the waitlist so can y’all.

I also got an email about financial aid, it said this:

We are reaching out to you today to provide an update of when you should expect to receive your financial aid package for the 2019-20 school year.

Our office requires a finalized academic calendar that is consistent with your course schedules and break periods. We have received a final calendar and have been informed by the School of Medicine Records and Registration Office that you were registered for courses yesterday. This work is necessary to ensure you receive accurate financial aid awards and disbursements.

We understand the anticipation of your upcoming financial aid package is strong and the Financial Aid Office is working hard to get you packaged before the end of next week.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Office of Student Financial Aid
Wayne State University

Mazurek Education Commons
Phone: 313-577-1039
Email: [email protected]

Welcome Center
Phone: 313-577-2100

Hopefully this means something? Maybe someone else can coroborate?

Reactions: 5 users
I just got my acceptance email!!! Will be accepting the offer as it has been my only one so far. Good luck to everyone else, if I someone as unimpressive as I can get off the waitlist so can y’all.

We are reaching out to you today to provide an update of when you should expect to receive your financial aid package for the 2019-20 school year.

Our office requires a finalized academic calendar that is consistent with your course schedules and break periods. We have received a final calendar and have been informed by the School of Medicine Records and Registration Office that you were registered for courses yesterday. This work is necessary to ensure you receive accurate financial aid awards and disbursements.

We understand the anticipation of your upcoming financial aid package is strong and the Financial Aid Office is working hard to get you packaged before the end of next week.

Wayne State University

Welcome Center

Wow that makes me pretty hopeful since I also interviewed 11/2 and was also waitlisted few days before Christmas. Congrats tho!

Wayne State University

Welcome Center

Awesome news!!! Did you get the email just now at 6 ET ish? Did your portal update already? They emailed you at your AAMC email right? Congrats again

Awesome news!!! Did you get the email just now at 6 ET ish? Did your portal update already? They emailed you at your AAMC email right? Congrats again
So i’m in Japan right now, I have no idea when I got the email in EDT, but i woke up about 2 hours ago and saw the email there and the info about fin aid

and yes, i interviewed in mid november and was waitlisted just before christmas. I sent an LOI wayyyy back in January, idk if they even read it.

My portal has yet to update....

Wayne State University

Welcome Center

wow i'm so happy for you! altho i'm starting to doubt we'll end up being classmates (esp looking at your stats vs mine), i saw how worried and concerned you this in this thread so this is such exciting news!!

Wayne State University

Welcome Center

Honestly, it probably doesn’t mean anything. Please cite one time that they met their self imposed deadlines. I feel like this is easily avoidable. What kind of people do they have in the admin to let this happen? Is the Dean unaware? This is quite honestly hurting the reputation of the entire institution and therefore our futures. If I was running his place I would demand to know what eff happened to let the admin become so incredibly unreliable. Can current students speak about this? Do you deal with this on the regular? Aren’t you mad?

Honestly, it probably doesn’t mean anything. Please cite one time that they met their self imposed deadlines. I feel like this is easily avoidable. What kind of people do they have in the admin to let this happen? Is the Dean unaware? This is quite honestly hurting the reputation of the entire institution and therefore our futures. If I was running his place I would demand to know what eff happened to let the admin become so incredibly unreliable. Can current students speak about this? Do you deal with this on the regular? Aren’t you mad?
Hate to break it to you but this is the normal for Wayne. And if you say anything about it people just say you’re a hater and negative. Everyone is kinda in the excited period right now so it’s not as bad but the administration never improves. I’ve spoken with the Dean many times, he doesn’t even know the specifics about the new MCAT, costs of anything including applications, and other basic information. The big question is how does this now affect the commit to enroll period? Because that affects everyone, even waitlisters. They need to start school in late August like every other MD program and stop acting like they have their stuff together.

wow i'm so happy for you! altho i'm starting to doubt we'll end up being classmates (esp looking at your stats vs mine), i saw how worried and concerned you this in this thread so this is such exciting news!!
Thank you for your kind words. If they are still sending out invites this late there is still hope for all!

I am mad. When I was at my interview they said there is a student government. Idk how much pull they hold, but i will plan on running, or if that’s not possible at least bothering them every day about this problem. once school starts and i have an idea of what is going on, i promise i will come back on here and let u know what the F is going on. i can’t get an apartment due to fin aid issues so i currently have over an hour commute to look forward to if this isn’t resolved :|

Hate to break it to you but this is the normal for Wayne. And if you say anything about it people just say you’re a hater and negative. Everyone is kinda in the excited period right now so it’s not as bad but the administration never improves. I’ve spoken with the Dean many times, he doesn’t even know the specifics about the new MCAT, costs of anything including applications, and other basic information. The big question is how does this now affect the commit to enroll period? Because that affects everyone, even waitlisters. They need to start school in late August like every other MD program and stop acting like they have their stuff together.

yeah idk why wayne starts so early! i’m in Japan rn with limited access to wifi and a 13 hour time change, I can’t do much while I’m here and won’t get back until 6/28 so i have like 2 weeks to throw everything together >.>

Also got the acceptance email several hours ago. Am I too late submit a FAFSA for financial aid?

Also got the acceptance email several hours ago. Am I too late submit a FAFSA for financial aid?
I’m pretty sure you can submit fafsa at any time. You just won’t get priority for scholarships/ grants.

yeah idk why wayne starts so early! i’m in Japan rn with limited access to wifi and a 13 hour time change, I can’t do much while I’m here and won’t get back until 6/28 so i have like 2 weeks to throw everything together >.>

If you're on vacation, I hope you're having fun! :)

Got accepted on friday, June 21st! LizzyM 67 with strong ECs. OOS. Reapplicant x3 so excited! Can't believe I'm actually gonna be a doctor!

Reactions: 9 users
So today is the commit to enroll date. I just called admissions and asked if the admin will deal with the fact that financial aid awards haven’t been sent out to which the operator replied, “Didn’t you see the award in Academica? It was sent out on June 20th.” They are utterly clueless. I had to tell them they sent us an email saying awards were further delayed. Still, the operator, who I’m sure didn’t confirm or ask for guidance said, “Today is still the commit to enroll date and we are aware that awards haven’t been sent out.” Can current students attest to the fact that I will receive adequate education and training? Is this incompetence limited to the administration or does it permeate the entire institution?

So today is the commit to enroll date. I just called admissions and asked if the admin will deal with the fact that financial aid awards haven’t been sent out to which the operator replied, “Didn’t you see the award in Academica? It was sent out on June 20th.” They are utterly clueless. I had to tell them they sent us an email saying awards were further delayed. Still, the operator, who I’m sure didn’t confirm or ask for guidance said, “Today is still the commit to enroll date and we are aware that awards haven’t been sent out.” Can current students attest to the fact that I will receive adequate education and training? Is this incompetence limited to the administration or does it permeate the entire institution?
Most people don’t realize this but they hire undergrad students here to answer the phones most of the time, so that’s why you get varying answers and incompetence. That being said, it doesn’t improve as you go up the chain. I did my Masters here at the med school and the incompetence from administration is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. I know that a lot of students complain about their med schools but Wayne takes the cake. One example is last year during the winter there was a huge snow storm and Wayne closed all buildings and told med students their exam was cancelled and to go home. Then 15 minutes later they get a mass email saying “hold up, don’t actually leave yet we changed our minds and need more time”. Students had to turn around on the road and come back to take the exam (after deliberation) in a winter weather advisory. Just realize if you go here, you need to do everything yourself and be annoyingly persistent to get things done. You’re going to school with 300 other students in your class alone and the administration is set up to handle 30 students.

Most people don’t realize this but they hire undergrad students here to answer the phones most of the time, so that’s why you get varying answers and incompetence. That being said, it doesn’t improve as you go up the chain. I did my Masters here at the med school and the incompetence from administration is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. I know that a lot of students complain about their med schools but Wayne takes the cake. One example is last year during the winter there was a huge snow storm and Wayne closed all buildings and told med students their exam was cancelled and to go home. Then 15 minutes later they get a mass email saying “hold up, don’t actually leave yet we changed our minds and need more time”. Students had to turn around on the road and come back to take the exam (after deliberation) in a winter weather advisory. Just realize if you go here, you need to do everything yourself and be annoyingly persistent to get things done. You’re going to school with 300 other students in your class alone and the administration is set up to handle 30 students.
[/
I would say that it hasn’t varied much beyond highly incompetent. Do people make noise about this? I would be embarrassed if I was the Dean and people spoke about my work this way. Do they just not care that they look like bafoons? I don’t want my training to be questioned when I’m applying for residencies, yet I’m already questioning it myself. Am I risking a huge opportunity cost here by choosing Wayne? They are really sowing the seeds of doubt and regret early on, which is incredibly concerning.

Got accepted recently and looking for housing. Does anyone know if the on-campus housing is good or should i be looking for off campus? Would on campus be full at this point?

Got accepted recently and looking for housing. Does anyone know if the on-campus housing is good or should i be looking for off campus? Would on campus be full at this point?
Congrats!!! If you have a car, I’d recommend for you to look at the Jefferson ave, Lafayette ave apartments. If not, on campus is fine. I believe some of your classmates are currently looking for roommates on Fb

I would say that it hasn’t varied much beyond highly incompetent. Do people make noise about this? I would be embarrassed if I was the Dean and people spoke about my work this way. Do they just not care that they look like bafoons? I don’t want my training to be questioned when I’m applying for residencies, yet I’m already questioning it myself. Am I risking a huge opportunity cost here by choosing Wayne? They are really sowing the seeds of doubt and regret early on, which is incredibly concerning.

I don't know all the details regarding residency applications but given their matching this year was 98.2% (I don't think data on whether they were first choice or not are available), I would imagine and hope that Wayne training isn't an issue later on. However, I mean, at the end of the day, medical school is a such a privilege and students are incredibly desperate to get in that they could basically do whatever they want. These are the circumstances that make it "acceptable" for a school to send out an acceptance the Friday before school starts, even to students who are OOS and haven't put down an apartment deposit because they can't afford to.

It's supremely messed up and unprofessional on so many levels but I think this is why it is that way. It sucks.

I don’t want to sway you either way because that’s not fair and don’t know your situation. But if you want to PM me I can answer any specific questions you may have that might help serve you better. People do speak out but eventually you have to choose between fighting the good fight and making sure you succeed. Energy is limited, especially for this bs while in med school, so most take the high road and try to power through. That’s why it’s an never ending cycle.

I don't know all the details regarding residency applications but given their matching this year was 98.2% (I don't think data on whether they were first choice or not are available), I would imagine and hope that Wayne training isn't an issue later on. However, I mean, at the end of the day, medical school is a such a privilege and students are incredibly desperate to get in that they could basically do whatever they want. These are the circumstances that make it "acceptable" for a school to send out an acceptance the Friday before school starts, even to students who are OOS and haven't put down an apartment deposit because they can't afford to.

It's supremely messed up and unprofessional on so many levels but I think this is why it is that way. It sucks.
Most things in life are a privilege. I don’t consider that a valid argument to accepting the status quo. Match rates are not good indicators of securing a desired residency post degree. Schools can advertise that all they want, but it’s a misleading number.

Anyways, I appreciate the words. Hopefully the administration can find ways to improve.

I’m gonna put this out there:

My parents are both doctors in Detroit who encounter many many residents from all over the country who come through the programs here. Every single doctor I have talked to, whether they are OB/GYN, radiology, surgery, you name it, they all say that Wayne State students have the best training of all the residents they encounter. My dad bitches out many residents all the time (because that’s the kind of doc he is >.>) and even he says the Wayne State students are the most adept and prepared for their specialties.

Take in in the sense that thou wilt, but despite all the clown fiesta drudgery that is going on at the moment, the students are coming out of it still at the top of their games.

Reactions: 3 users

My parents are both doctors in Detroit who encounter many many residents from all over the country who come through the programs here. Every single doctor I have talked to, whether they are OB/GYN, radiology, surgery, you name it, they all say that Wayne State students have the best training of all the residents they encounter. My dad bitches out many residents all the time (because that’s the kind of doc he is >.>) and even he says the Wayne State students are the most adept and prepared for their specialties.

Take in in the sense that thou wilt, but despite all the clown fiesta drudgery that is going on at the moment, the students are coming out of it still at the top of their games.

I've heard this from so many doctors as well. The fact that they have an ultrasound curriculum alone puts us so ahead of the game. An orthopod I know in Jersey did his residency/fellowship (i forget which one) at DMC and he said it was the best training in the world because of what he was able to do/see. He said Wayne is top-tier for preparing students to become physicians.

Don't make me want to go even more!! I'm already going to be depressed AF when July 15th finally rolls around with an empty inbox... *sniff* ;)

But for real, I've heard the same and given I'm so insecure about myself, I feel like I would actually have a shot at a decent residency by going here.

yeah... imo organizational problems within administration are a very very small price to pay for the insane experience Wayne provides for med students... every doctor i personally know within the Detroit area have all told me and my family to pick Wayne over anywhere else in Michigan. residencies apparently love Wayne med students because of how much they end up seeing and experiencing in Detroit. Future applicants: don't let administration scare you!! Like I said, it's a very small price to pay for the world-class education you'd receive at this school :D

I've heard this from so many doctors as well. The fact that they have an ultrasound curriculum alone puts us so ahead of the game. An orthopod I know in Jersey did his residency/fellowship (i forget which one) at DMC and he said it was the best training in the world because of what he was able to do/see. He said Wayne is top-tier for preparing students to become physicians.

I don't know if this is related or not, but one of the med students that talked to us during interview day said that in his first year, he volunteered to work in the trauma center. He said within 20 minutes of setting foot there, he was already doing CPR on someone. From the research I did for the secondaries, I definitely saw the coded "get in the trenches" to learn medicine sentences but I guess it's true. And to the students' benefit

Ughh you guys are killing me!!! Would any of you choose Drexel over Wayne by any chance? (Let’s leave tuition out because it’s similar in both place)

I wonder if they plan on rescinding acceptances to anyone who didn't CTE yesterday?