2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary 7/15, received II 7/25, interviewed 9/13, accepted 9/26

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
do you have experience volunteering at a community health center?

Members don't see this ad.

do you have experience volunteering at a community health center?

I was complete on 6/29, received II on 7/3, interviewed on 8/23, accepted 9/5! I never had any experience volunteering in a community health center, but I talked about how there were relatively little where I lived, but also I'd like to be more involved with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hmm do you know if they do silent R?
I was complete on 6/29, received II on 7/3, interviewed on 8/23, accepted 9/5! I never had any experience volunteering in a community health center, but I talked about how there were relatively little where I lived, but also I'd like to be more involved with them.
Nope, to be honest I didn’t even know what one was haha.

hmm do you know if they do silent R?
I understand that you are super anxious since you haven't heard back but this forum won't be too helpful. You should definitely email them about the status of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
when did you submit your secondary, when did you interview, and when did you receive your acceptance? I have been waiting since July :/
ooh ok this was a long time ago so i cant remember when i submitted but i interviewed end of august and accepted in september.

Which CHC are you at?

Did you feel at a disadvantage being away from the main campus during your second year?

I’ve been thoroughly impressed by this school so far, but I also would like to know what cons there are from a current students experience. Would you please share some, if you have found any?

I submitted my secondary 7/15, received II 7/25, interviewed 9/13, accepted 9/26

Did you send a thank you email after the interview? I am wondering if I should send one

Did you send a thank you email after the interview? I am wondering if I should send one

Yes I did. But make sure it’s short and sweet. They’re generally pretty busy people and probably appreciate the time you take to reach out but also appreciate the time you leave them, haha.

Yes I did. But make sure it’s short and sweet. They’re generally pretty busy people and probably appreciate the time you take to reach out but also appreciate the time you leave them, haha.

Lol Noted. Did you email the admissions office or specific people?

Members don't see this ad :)
current student. here to help.
I really like the school but I'm concerned about the COA. According to AACOM cost of attendance, SOMA has one of the highest (if not the highest) average indebtness for graduates. Do you find this to be accurate? Tuition for the class of 2024 will be ~60k and that's pretty high, DO or not.

$55k to $60k is the average tuition for most private medical schools.

I understand that, my question is why does SOMA have the highest average indebtness of graduates of all DO schools. Higher than AZCOM and their tuition is outrageous.

My guess is that there are CHC locations that have an extremely high cost of living (such as Chicago, NYC, etc.) which would raise the average indebtedness.

My guess is that there are CHC locations that have an extremely high cost of living (such as Chicago, NYC, etc.) which would raise the average indebtedness.

I think you’re right. A lot of DO schools are located in areas with a generally low cost of living.

I’m assigned to Waianae, Hawaii and the cost of living is insane there.

My understanding is that CHCs are located in a lot of areas with health disparities, and many of those areas are where there’s no middle class, just rich or poor people, like in expensive areas.

could anyone tell me the schedule for the interview day? Like what time it starts and ends?

Thinking of submitting my primary to this school tomorrow, but reluctant. Sounds like they're filling pretty fast?

could anyone tell me the schedule for the interview day? Like what time it starts and ends?

Check-in starts at 7 am. The interview day begins at 7:30 am and ends at 12 pm. Lunch starts at 12 and runs until 1:30 pm.

Edit: corrected the times.

Thinking of submitting my primary to this school tomorrow, but reluctant. Sounds like they're filling pretty fast?

Seats will open up as students begin to hear back from MD schools. You should submit and see where it takes you.

Current second year. Shoot me with all the questions you got.

Thanks friend!! Which CHC are you assigned to? How do you like the 1+3 curriculum so far? Have you found any pros/cons with it that you weren’t expecting beforehand?

Also, since everyone stays at their CHC for 3 years, do a lot of students buy a house near their CHC site?

Last edited:
For those who went to the dean's welcome... what did girls wear for the business casual?

What do most students do for health insurance? Is Medicaid usually a good option? I’m hoping to qualify but I dunno if that’ll work until I’ve lived there for a few months.

What do most students do for health insurance? Is Medicaid usually a good option? I’m hoping to qualify but I dunno if that’ll work until I’ve lived there for a few months.
Also curious about this!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sorry if this has already been asked, but how is the interview here? MMI + traditional interview or only MMI?

Could any current student clarify where do you get inpatient experiences (i.e. surgery, IM, ER) during 2nd and 3rd year if the clinical rotation sites are based primarily in community clinics? Thanks!

Just declined my acceptance here... hopefully my spot goes to one of y'all! Good luck with the rest of the app cycle everyone! :)

Hello everyone!

I just want to make sure I am preparing well for my upcoming interview. For the interview, it is one, open-file, traditional interview, 2 standardized patient encounters, and 6-7 MMI stations? Thanks!

Hello everyone!

I just want to make sure I am preparing well for my upcoming interview. For the interview, it is one, open-file, traditional interview, 2 standardized patient encounters, and 6-7 MMI stations? Thanks!
Yes.

And you have a small group activity.

Does anyone know what hospital the San Ysidro location will be doing their clinical rotations at?

Rejected pre II on Monday
so far no love from the home state
good luck to everyone else!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I just got the call! Interviewed 10/11.

Reactions: 4 users
Sooo anyone that interviewed on 10/4 hear back yet????

Any current students have an answer on this? And congrats to those accepted! I'm excited to meet y'all next summer!

Waitlisted. Interviewed 10/4. Anyone have any ideas about my odds of acceptance?